5.0 out of 5 stars You MUST See This Movie, Especially If You're A Rock Fan!
Published on March 24 2004 by Fractal Rock

1.0 out of 5 stars Another DVD release???
This review pertains to the Almost Famous Untitled - The Bootleg Cut (Director's Edition) which is another example of studio executives taking advantage of loyal customers by coming out with yet ANOTHER DVD version to suck the very last penny out of those same fans who made the film successful to begin with! I am so tired of this marketing strategy bs! ONE STAR! Don't buy...
Published on Nov. 21 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars You MUST See This Movie, Especially If You're A Rock Fan!, March 24 2004
This review is from: Almost Famous (Widescreen) (DVD)
First of all, let me say simply this: Great movie, great soundtrack!! Strangely I discovered the soundtrack before the movie. The soundtrack is what inspired me to rent this DVD. This is a heartfelt coming-of-age movie, partially non-fictional, about a young music fan/journalist named William who is given the opportunity to get away from his difficult mother and tour around with a band named Stillwater. (Stillwater is a fictional band based on the bands Led Zepplin and the Allman Brothers.) Rolling Stone magazine - not aware that William is only 15 - put him on assignment to do a cover story for their magazine. It was quite a magical tale about the love of music and the love for the people who make that music, as well as just how difficult it might be for a journalist, who befriends the band, to be objective in his writing about them. A++ for this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic memoir/coming of age story, rock fans will love it, April 23 2012
Mark (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I stumbled across 'The Bootleg Cut' on DVD years back and quickly bought it. It was/is an excellent package, containing both theatrical and directors cuts, along with a Stillwater CD of all the songs from the movie. Those DVD special editions were always excellently packaged in gate-fold sleeves and nicely finished. Unfortunately Blu-rays are rarely of the same caliber except a few standouts such as Avatar's 3 disc version. I would love to review that part of this item in particular, but please see my 'gripe' further down. Onto the movie itself.

This movie is full of excellent characters, extremely well written and believable. This movie always had a huge impact on me, likely from viewing it as a young teenager. It does make you feel like you ARE that 15-year-old, seeing rock history playing out before your eyes. It always made me wish I had a way inside the industry in my younger days, and I still wish I could experience it! But for most mortals this is as close as you will get. Since it is based on actual happenings but with many 'tweaks' and combined characters (so as to not expose a particular band's hijinx and for the sake of condensing the story), it gives quite a feeling of realism. Plus, you can always read Cameron Crowe's actual Rolling Stone articles, as well as the real life Penny Lane's book to find out some of the actual happenings for a greater look into this time.

Now, I have viewed both cuts at different times, and to me, watching the theatrical cut gives me the same feeling as watching the LOTR theatrical versions - perhaps sharper and more to the point, but missing something. You can tell when you're missing certain scenes even if you can't quite put your finger on which exact one. I'm a completionist in some ways, and to me, spending more time in the world of your favorite movie is always worthwhile. That is why I highly recommend the director's cut.

Now, onto my only gripe - this Blu-ray is extremely hard to find! Maybe it is representative of the movie itself - not hugely popular, but loved dearly by fans. I just wish it was more available. Even the regular Blu-ray is and always was very hard to find. Amazon sold out of the bootleg cut BR and has not re-stocked in a long time, meaning I have not even had a chance to watch this in Blu-ray yet!! Once I do I will append my review of this.

Amazon, please restock so I can see this film the way it was meant to be seen!

5.0 out of 5 stars The "bootleg" edition is the one to own., July 7 2002
This director's edition of "Almost Famous" is one of the best DVDs on the market. "Almost Famous" is Cameron Crowe's autobiographical story about a teen-aged reporter on the road with a rock and roll band. The character that Crowe based on himself is William Miller (well played by Patrick Fugit). A reporter for his high school newspaper, the unpopular William dreams of writing for a rock and roll publication. He gets his big chance when he meets his idol, rock reporter Lester Bangs (Phillip Seymour Hoffman, in a great supporting role). Bangs tells William to write an interview for Cream Magazine. That interview (with Black Sabbath) does not happen, but he meets the opening act, Stillwater. Soon, Wlliam finds himself on the road with Stillwater, with an assignment to write an article about them for Rolling Stone. William is befriended by groupie Penny Lane (Kate Hudson, who deservedly won a Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination), whose boyfriend is the band's lead guitarist (Billy Crudup). What follows is William's sometimes funny and sometimes painful experiences with life on the road. He becomes friends with the band and falls in love with Penny, all while trying to write an objective article for the magazine. It is hard for him to stay objective about his new friends. As Lester observes:"They made you feel cool. And I've met you. You are not cool." These situations are all observed with a lot of heart and soul in Cameron Crowe's Oscar winning script. Frances McDormand adds just the right touch as William's mother, who doesn't understand her son's dreams, but wants to be supportive anyway. The "bootleg" edition DVD is loaded with lots of REALLY COOL extras. The first disc includes a director's cut with 35 extra minutes, including a birthday party scene for Penny, among others. The second disc includes the original film. The package also gives you commentary by Crowe and his mother Alice; behind-the-scenes foootage; unseen Stillwater concert footage; the original shooting script; an interview with Bangs from 1973; Crowe's top 10 albums of 1973; reprints of Crowe's articles for Rolling Stone; even a six track CD of Stillwater's songs. Only "Fever Dog" appears on both this CD and the soundtrack album. All the songs on the bonus CD are great. "Almost Famous" is one of my favorite movies in recent years. If you are as big a fan of the film as I am, you'll want to get this double disc set. It is a "must purchase."

5.0 out of 5 stars great movie!, June 3 2014
Almost Famous is an excellent movie.So happy I was a able to find this copy. A must have for any home movie collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars even better than the original release, May 28 2014
I loved the original release, but this one goes more in depth with the relationships between the main characters. I recommend to every fan of the seventies!

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Like the Film, Get the Blu-ray, March 15 2014
From the Musician's Pen (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Even though critics rated this film high when it came out, it tends to get mixed reviews on sites such as Amazon. You'll have to make up your own mind whether you like the film or not. I bought it, so obviously I do. However, I bought the Blu-ray for $5 and it's a great bargain at that price. My 5-star rating is for the Blu-ray, which looks and sounds great and offers many special features. The name "Bootleg Cut" is just a gimmicky name referring back to the days of bootleg vinyl records - the special features are the "bootlegs", the behind the scenes stuff, demos, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything about this movie rings true, June 23 2013
This review is from: Almost Famous (DVD)
I know people who would not even be glimmers in their parents' eyes until decades after Almost Famous's period (1973, I believe) -- and who love this movie. There goes my theory that I love it purely on a nostalgic level, as Cameron Crowe is without peer in recreating The Day. Because this is a thinly-veneered version of the writer/director's own experiences, it is imbued with Crowe's sense of getting it right -- unlike a lot of the stoner garbage that has become representative of the '70s for many of those who were not there to experience that time period for themselves. And also unlike those false reflections, this movie has a story to tell -- coloured by the gamut of human emotion, delivering the sense of importance that Crowe obviously felt for it. It worked for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rockin' Movie!, Jan. 5 2013
This review is from: Almost Famous (Widescreen) (DVD)
Good music, lots of laughs and entertainment! Good olde rock and roll movie! Really felt like you were travelling around with the band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Dec 24 2012
Superb film that takes me back to my youth. Strong cast with great direction. The soundtrack is simply the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal, July 11 2004
I got this director's cut edition because I so was so intrigued by the original theatrical release. I wanted more.
What I didn't expect was how very the new material (typically extended scenes though there are a few new scenes as well) changed the tone and feel of this film. Penny Lane comes across as a tragic, lost soul. Stillwater comes across as a bunch of debauched, spoiled, poorly educated, brain challenged musicians. The "suits" - including the Rolling Stone "hippy suits" - come across as sharks. William Miller comes across as a well intentioned but naive quick learner. He seems vulnerable. Alot of the ackward mysteries of the theatrical release (How did Lester Bangs and William end up at a pizza joint after they had just said good-bye? Why did Russell deny everything after encouraging William to write what he wanted to? What held Stillwater together after those shocking confessions on the plane? There are many other examples.)
It almost like a different film! In fact, a BETTER film I would have to say.
Further, based on my experience in the music industry I found this director's cut to be more reality than fantasy -- the inverse was true of the theatrical release from my perspective. It's STILL not at a "documentary" level but, hey, this isn't suppose to be a horror flick is it?
Also, I know it's kind of whacky (maybe I'm a brain challenged musician too) but I really dig Stillwater's music. I have been listening to the Stillwater CD that comes in the package since I got it. I agree with Cameron Crowe, if these guys toured I would go see them! The movie is great but this CD (filled with songs by Nancy Wilson of Heart and Peter Frampton) really cooks.
Overall I just couldn't be happier with my Almost Famous Director's Edition set.

Almost Famous (Widescreen)
Almost Famous (Widescreen) by Cameron Crowe (DVD - 2001)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 7.73