5.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning and constantly hilarious
Published on June 21 2004 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars For collectors and kids...others beware!
Let's break it down. This bundled package comes with two DVDs individually wrapped in separate keep cases: Shrek and Shrek 3-D.
Published on May 15 2004 by Michael Whitlock

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning and constantly hilarious, June 21 2004
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Shrek (Bilingual) [Import] (DVD)
I sometimes manage to be among the last individuals on earth to see a blockbuster movie, and such is the case with Shrek. Having finally seen the film, however, I will certainly echo the high praises it has received from those who have come before me. Shrek is visually stunning, continuously hilarious, and uplifting in its message. It's fun for the entire family, appealing to adults and children in equal measure, and it just makes you feel good after the credits roll. The DVD throws in tons of extras, giving you more Shrek bang for the bucks.
The look of this film is amazing; animation has definitely entered the twenty-first century, and the guys and gals at Dreamworks are forging the way ever onward and upward. You really have to see the animation in Shrek to appreciate it - I can tell you that it is in stunning 3-D detail, that each character has more incredibly realistic and subtle facial expressions than I do, that you could sometimes swear (especially when watching Princess Fiona) that you are watching real people on the screen, and that Shrek transports you to a world unlike any you have seen before, but that barely begins to describe the animation magic at play here. The real proof of the pudding is in the details, and you will be amazed at all the subtle nuances you pick up each time you watch the film: you can see the wind in the grass, leaves blowing, dust rising, clothes wrinkling and moving naturally in relation to each character's body movements, hair stirring characters' hair (except for Shrek, of course, who is quite bald - not to mention green and altogether ogrely), etc.. The attention to detail is simply amazing, and I can't help but wonder why this film didn't cost about fifty billion dollars to make based on what I saw.
Of course, the incredible animation would all go for naught without great actors supplying the voices of the characters, and you would have to look long and hard to beat the cast of Shrek. Start with the two funniest men in Hollywood, Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy, as Shrek the lovable ogre and his sidekick Donkey; then throw in Cameron Diaz as Princess Fiona and John Lithgow as the bad guy. Myers and Murphy will keep you in stitches from start to finish. I won't go into the whole plot of the story here, as I'm sure that information is pretty easy to find hereabouts, but I will say the story is incredibly witty and is truly the stuff that all-time classic films are made of. While it turns the world of fairy tales on its ear, it does come bearing some important morals, the most important of which is the advice to not judge a person by his/her appearance. Shrek is much more than a disgusting, disagreeable ogre, and Fiona turns out to be the least typical princess you could ever hope to meet.
The extras on the DVD give you a good idea of the creative process that went into bringing Shrek to life: storyboards of deleted scenes, an HBO special on the making of the movie, technical goofs, and an informative commentary by the filmmakers. In terms of pure entertainment, you also get the complete extended dance party ending of the film, the means to jump directly to many of the funnier or more visually stunning scenes, music videos from Smashmouth and Baha Men, and a number of silly little games to play. Consider all of these extras as icing on the proverbial cake, however, as the movie alone packs more entertainment than almost any other DVD you will ever find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shrek, June 14 2004
Danielle Muller "Shulamith" (Sailing, sailing o'er the deep blue sea :)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shrek/Shrek 3-D Btb (DVD)
Shrek is so funny. It starts with our hero Shrek(Mike Myers)who is a pretty amiable sort of ogre whose only goal in life is to live and let live. That is until Lord Farqaard (John Lithgow)tries to capture all of the fairy tale creatures, who happen to find solace in Shrek's swamp. An outraged Shrek demands that Lord Farquaard remove the creatures. They strike up a deal that if Shrek rescues the beautiful damsel Fiona (Cameron Diaz)from her fiery keep for Lord Farqaard, then he would remove the fairy tale things.
So off goes Shrek, with his noble steed Donkey. A excessive talking donkey who lacks the capacity to be still even for a moment. They reach the keep which happens to be guarded by a female dragon who falls madly in love with Donkey. The princess is rescued and brought back to Lord Farqaard. But trouble pops up, Fiona has fallen in love with Shrek. But can she make him love her just in time before she marries Farqaard?
A romantic antidoce that never lets you stop laughing. A clean and wholesome film for the whole family. A must see

5.0 out of 5 stars Shrek is awesome! This DVD is amazing, man!, June 7 2004
This review is from: Shrek (Bilingual) [Import] (DVD)
This review is about this full screen single disc edition. I got it only yesterday. I love it. I've seen "Shrek" several times through rental and watching it on a VHS dubbed in Spanish in a Spanish class. Seeing as how that was even funny, I decided to watch in Spanish for myself through the DVD simply because it's good learning. About the film itself, viewing it for the first time makes the viewer astounded. Shrek is a not-all-that mean but loveable green ogre,
the Donkey is adorable and the most comical character, Princess Fiona is absolutely gorgeous even when she becomes an ogre like Shrek, and Lord Farquaad is quite droll and persistent as the "bad guy" who seems to get a big head and wants to become king. Of course you might know about the "I'm A Believer" finale; that is the worth waiting for. The "Shrek In The Swamp Karaoke Dance Party" seems to pick up where the film left off originally. Thank goodness this little treat was included. It'll have you singing along and laughing! The voice talents of Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz, and John Lithgow are perfect cast picks. Personally, nobody could've done Donkey like Eddie Murphy. Perfect! About the DVD; flawless! When the menu comes on and the fairy tale charcters are standing around and Donkey hops up and down saying "Oh, pick me! Me, me, me!!", you could easily let that play forever. It's funny. There are more special features than those listed on the page. They include the filmmakers' commentary heard when you watch the movie, an HBO documentary, sketches of outtakes as the artist run through them, technical "goofs" (hilarious!), interviews with the characters (neat-o!) and more. The entire DVD is worth it. Wonderful music, neat scenery, and the humor of the loveable, memorable characters are such sumptious formulas. The scenery especially makes you want to be there. You'd also want to appreciate the characters and their feelings as if they were real. "Shrek" is such a fabulous movie for all ages. If it's not in your video library by now, what are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Gloriously Twisted Fairy Tale!, May 27 2004
Robert J. Schneider (Tacoma, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shrek (Two-Disc Widescreen & Full Screen Edition) (Bilingual) (DVD)
The hilariously perverse answer to the entire Disney fairy-tale franchise is the CGI-animated, solidly PG-rated SHREK (2001). Considering the fact that Jeffrey Katzenberg, the "K" in the still-new (and highly successful) Dreamworks SKG studio, worked for Disney in the early 1990's and suffered under an extremely acrimonious relationship with CEO Michael Eisner (who infamously referred to Katzenberg as "that little midget"), this flip-of-the-bird spoof was inevitable. But this movie is not a letter of anger directed at Disney; no, it's a satirical ode *to* Disney---albeit one that is full of adult humor with a definite "Saturday Night Live" sensibility to it. Starring Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy---both of them "SNL" alums---this is a movie that makes many grownups laugh even louder than kids!
Mike Myers, as the titular ogre, gives one of his greatest comedic performances ever, doing basically a variation on his Scottish "Fat Bastard" character from the AUSTIN POWERS films (which in itself was a variation on his "SNL" character, the All Things Scottish storeowner---you know, the one who used to greet his customers by barking at them, "If it ain't Scottish, it's crap!"). Anyone who wonders how an ogre with a Scottish brogue ended up with the name Shrek, here's your answer: Originally, Shrek was a German-accented ogre (sounding quite a bit like the Dieter character that Myers used to play on the "SNL" skit "Sprockets"); however, during production, it was decided that the character came off funnier with Myers' hilarious---and dead-on accurate---Scottish accent. Because the film already had SHREK as a working title, the German name was kept for the character and the film. (The name was derived from "schreck" which is a German and Yiddish exclamation, used in place of "Oh damn" and "Oh sh*t.") Just to be helpful. :)
Anyway, the tone for the film is set with the green ogre narrating the beginning of a typical fairy tale book, and then ripping out a page and using it for toilet paper---with Smashmouth's hit song "All Star" playing in the background! It doesn't slow down from there: soon, the aggressively alone Shrek is being pursued for friendship by a motormouth donkey---known simply as "Donkey"--- whose life he saves, and who is voiced by an irrepressable Eddie Murphy (who also gives one of the most inspired comedic performances of his own career). Tasked with rescuing the feisty Princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz) from an ivory castle tower by the tiny and full-of-himself Lord Farquaad (voiced by an equally-inspired John Lithgow), Shrek and Donkey set out on...well, as the tagline says, The Greatest Fairy Tale Never Told.
You know all this already. Chances are, you have probably seen this incredibly rude and hilarious film more times than I have. So have your kids, I'm sure. (Although I do not believe this film to be appropriate for any child under the age of 8, I suffer not from any illusion that aussmes most kids under this age have not seen it by now.) Considering the fact that I first saw SHREK in the theater during the last glorious summer of 2001 and have owned it on DVD for the past two years now (seeing it probably about five to six times during this time), I can't believe that I have waited this long to review it here on Amazon. This was not by design; rather, I think it has been out of sheer laziness. However, laziness had nothing to do with my running to my local multiplex today to see SHREK 2, which has set a brand-new five-day opening record for any film---that's right, beating even the revered recent film made by Mel Gibson! It's an amazing film in its own right, but I'll get to reviewing it in a minute...in the meantime, the original SHREK is
MOST RECCOMMENDED

2.0 out of 5 stars Go See this at Universal, May 27 2004
This review is from: Shrek/Shrek 3-D Btb (DVD)
Most people are missing the point of the short film featuring Shrek. The short film is the tie in between the first Shrek movie and where the second one begins. The short feature is only 16 minutes long and was originally made for Universal Studios. I saw this film in October of 2003 knowing that the new Shrek film would be out in 2004. The thing is if you have seen this film at Universal Studios in Orlando Florida and try to see this film with 3-d glasses at home, you will be very disappointed. 3-d at home is a lose lose proposition. At universal orlando the 3-d effects were out of this world. As well at Disney World. They also adde elements of feathers on your heels, spraying of mist and even scent. I want the short and been trying to find it by itself but have been unsuccessful. You have to buy the short with the first movie. I do recommend getting the short movie because it is a great Shrek "movie" but I don't recommend watching it in 3-d. I wonder now what will Universal Orlando show because the 2nd one is out? I rated it two stars because 3-d movies like this one and spy kids 3d have poor 3-d quality when viewed at home. The movie is excellent though and I rate that 4 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars I know I'm in the minority, May 19 2004
Timothy King "tkactor" (Burke, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Some people absolutely adore this movie. I really wanted to like "Shrek". Unfortunately, and I know I'm in the minority on this, I didn't. The tale is a promising one. Beast (with a heart) meets Beauty (who has a secret). They fight, fall in love, her secret is revealed, they fight some more, then end up together, in typical fairy tale fashion. However, this story is told, infused with crude humor and really only one likeable character: the Donkey, voiced by Eddie Murphy. Even this character gets obnoxious. Anachronistic touches, like adding Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation" (a song of which I am a fan) do not further the story and bring into question what audience this movie is trying to reach. (The lyric clearly says, "I don't give a damn 'bout my Bad Reputation"). Is this necessary in a family film? I'm not a prude about language, but this doesn't add anything.
With "Shrek 2" due to be the hottest new thing, I will probably plunge deeper into the minority of those not enchanted by "Shrek". It didn't grab me and I know I'm not the only one.

2.0 out of 5 stars its only an animated short, May 16 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Shrek/Shrek 3-D Btb (DVD)
This Shrek 3-D is actually a DVD release of the Shrek 4-D theatrical show at Universal Studios. How do I know this? because I went to Universal Studios recently, and I saw the Shrek 4-D show. When I heard about a Shrek 3-D DVD coming out, I though I'd get it to see if it was any good. Well, to tell the truth, if you really want to see this incredibly short, and sad excuse for a DVD, I recomend saving your money and going to Universal Studios instead of spending the extra money on this. A word of advice to the makers of this DVD: If you're going to release a theme park attraction on DVD, you should probably make it into a regular mini movie (not 3-D, because most of us can't get that kind of experience on our televisions anyway) and please, sell it seperately around $4.99 or so. It might surprise you how much more money you could make if you did this, because many people that are interested in this product already have the first movie, and it really isn't fair to suck money out of people, over something as pathetic as a 15 minute mini movie, based on a theme park attraction.

4.0 out of 5 stars A way to sell you the same thing twice but..., May 15 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Shrek/Shrek 3-D Btb (DVD)
"Shrek 3-D" makes purchasing this again worth it. However, I deplore Dreamworks for its packaging. Rather than do this, they should have packaged it later with the DVD release of "Shrek 2" or, at the very least, had more extras and released it as a inexpensive movie-tie in. The inclusion of the comic book also makes this worthwhile (although I'd like to note it's not available with every set; the version I purchased at Costco had it as part of the package).
The slim story has Shrek on his honeymoon when his beloved is kidnapped. Shrek and Donkey must take off in pursuit and fight a stone dragon and other nasties. There's quite a bit of fun made of other movies including, well, the original "Shrek".
The inexpensive 3-D glasses also leave something to be desired. I personally would have preferred to see this in the other 3-D format that uses polarized lenses as the 3-D effect is 1) superior 2)doesn't cause color shifts when watching the movie through the colored lenses. Either way, though, "Shrek 3-D" was fun and has been watched enough in our home to make it worthwhile. My guess is that Dreamworks will put "Shrek 3D" on the DVD edition of "Shrek 2". If that comes to pass, I'll really be ticked off at them (although not as much as New Line with their fleecing of pockets for the "Lord of the Rings" releases).

3.0 out of 5 stars For collectors and kids...others beware!, May 15 2004
Michael Whitlock (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shrek/Shrek 3-D Btb (DVD)
Shrek - Great film. Totally lame pan-and-scan version. I envision two scenarios. 1) Dreamworks executives think kids won't enjoy letterbox on standard TVs and so bundled Shrek 3-D with the pan-and-scan version of the original. Or, more likely, 2) they figured they could charge a lot more for only 16-minutes worth of new material by only selling it with the dumbed-down release (read: cheapest to reproduce) version of the original, which was the 1-disc so-called "full frame" version, as opposed to the double disc, extras-laden widescreen version.
Shrek 3-D - Fun but short continuation of the first film's storyline. The use of Anaglyph 3-D, rather than Field Sequential, is a shame but luckily there's a non-3-D version on the disc as well. It's interesting to note that, despite the version of Shrek it comes bundled with, Shrek 3-D is anamorphic widescreen.
My recommendation: Skip this unless, like me, you absolutely must have Shrek 3-D for your collection (you can always sell the pan-and-scan version to a friend or on Amazon or eBay) or you have kids who don't give a hoot one way or another about aspect ratio or Anaglyph vs. FS 3-D and just love Shrek.
Hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Great Feature Film & 3-D Short, both sold short, May 12 2004
The Other Eye (Glendale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shrek/Shrek 3-D Btb (DVD)
First, there's the Shrek film, which is not only an Academy Award winning Animated film...It's one of the best Films I've ever seen. I HIGHLY recommend that you buy the ASIN=B00003CXXJ version of Shrek which is both Widescreen and Fullscreen DVD, with great extras. The Shrek in this DVD pack is just Full Screen, which is an insult to this amazing film.
Then, there's Shrek 3-D, which is a great "4-D" theme park attraction at Universal Studios. It looses some of it's funniness going from 4-D to 3-D...so see it at the theme park, in all it's glory. Here, it is only presented in Anaglyph (Latin for "annoying"). The 15 minute short is presented in 2 formats, 2-D (why?!?) and Anaglyph (Red/Cyan glasses). Very bad move not to have included a Field Sequential 3-D version, which is what all the 3-D film lovers were readying their wallets for. Anaglyph looks like bad 3-D on all TVs, while Field Sequential looks great, but only works some TVs. Including both would've sold very well.
Lastly...there's NO "Making Of Shrek 3-D" on the 3-D DVD...just 2 versions of a 15 minute short, and an interesting ad/trailer for Shrek 2.
Skip this 2 pack. Buy the Widescreen DVD of Shrek. And hope they re-release Shrek 3-D in Field Sequential 3-D, with a Making Of, as a single DVD, later.

Shrek (Two-Disc Widescreen & Full Screen Edition) (Bilingual)
CDN$ 34.95 CDN$ 29.97