5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie
I am a little surprised that so many other people failed to see the merits of this movie. First, this was not a typical predictable Hollywood movie with a predictable ending. Second, it was not a re-hash of some old story line with the same old actors. It is a very well written comedic coming of age movie. Few movies take the time or effort to develop complex, flawed and...
Published on April 30 2004 by James R. Mckinley

3.0 out of 5 stars Cliches beneath the quirks
If Robert Downey Jr. and Groucho Marx were to have an intimate moment and spawn a child, that child would be Jason Schwartzman...or if Dustin Hoffman had a sense of humour and were a few inches taller (Jason's 5'3"). He's genuinely funny, as is Bill Murray, and they both have that underlying sadness (and I don't mean to imply a drug problem) that renders their...
Published on Aug. 25 2001 by Robert Bezimienny

‹ Previous | 141 42 43 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars the "English Patient" of weird comedies, Aug. 26 2003
telmar "telmar" (Camp Hill, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rushmore (The Criterion Collection) (DVD)
With all due respect to those who like this film, I don't get it. Somehow this strikes me as a "genre" edgy comedy, as if the screenwriters and director assumed that if they simply made a film in the style of a "Welcome to the Dollhouse", that it would work as well as that film (or countless other "different" comedies) did. No need for an entertaining plot, interesting dialogue, intriguing characters, comedic lines... I find it hard to believe that this is simply a matter of a difference in taste, as I couldn't find a remotely funny thing in this movie, and it dragged on forever. I watched it figuring there would be a twist, something I had missed, some reason why the average rating here is so high, but I found none. Areas that could be played for comedy seem to just fizzle out. Comedic lines go nowhere. The characters generally don't hold the viewer's interest. I notice some other people giving it 1 star, so I suppose this is a "love-it-or-hate-it" movie. The curious thing is I would've expected to be on the "love it" side, since I'm a big fan of quirky comedies.
Ever see the Seinfeld episode where Elaine is forced to rewatch the movie she loathes (which everyone else seems to love), The English Patient? Well, I agreed with Elaine on The English Patient, and I feel the same way about this movie. The English Patient seemed to me to be a movie written in the "Academy Award" genre - it had all the elements of an Oscar-winning movie - elaborate sets, a foreign setting, a romance, people putting on airs. Except it was excruciatingly painful to sit through, was extremely predictable, had zero character depth, and virtually no plot. Critics seemed to like it unanimously. "Rushmore" is the "English Patient" of weird comedies. It seems to be for people who think it is "hip" to like an edgy comedy but can't tell the difference between a good one and a bad one. I hated it, regardless of the critical consensus, and I really have no idea what others see in it. :)

1.0 out of 5 stars The emperor isn't wearing any clothes, Oct. 25 2002
This review is from: Rushmore (VHS Tape)
This is one of those movies that people think is great because it has the ATTITUDE of greatness It has the ATTITUDE of hilarity. It has the ATTITUDE of cleverness.
Bill Murray is great, but otherwise this is just [junk].
When I saw this in the theater, I was squirming wildly in my seat for the last half-hour, dying to go home but hoping something interesting might happen. It didn't, though.
NOBODY in the theater laughed even once.
The perky soundtrack helped a little. Otherwise the unrelieved dreariness would have made me walk out.
I heard they did a huge search to find just the right nerdy kid to play the lead character, and almost didn't make the movie because they had so much trouble finding him.
How absurd. The lead role, like the movie itself, was totally empty.
This kid tries to hit on his attractive teacher again and again, but guess what? She's not interested.
A girl at school likes him but he only likes the teacher. At the end though, he suddenly decides he likes the girl after all. Bill Murray, meanwhile, pairs off with the teacher. Even the nerd's father gets a girlfriend!
That's it folks. That's all there is. Don't waste your time with this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Critical acclaim?, July 25 2002
"knytehawkk" (Kirkland, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
I cannot understand how people rave about this movie the way they do. Perhaps I lack artistic sense, the ability to pick up subtle clues and hints, a severe deficiency in satire appreciation... because I didn't like this movie one bit.
I have never in all my life ever walked out of or stopped watching a movie because I thought it was bad. I weathered Deep Blue Sea and Deep Rising (no offense to the people that loved them), I plowed my way through Robot Holocaust (without the MST3K guys doing voice-over parody even!), I even survived The Mummy Returns, but after 30 minutes of this DVD, I had to stop it and watch a different movie. I later resumed viewing thinking that there had to be something I missed, perhaps the movie starts slow and picks up, perhaps the developing conflict amongst the characters will pick up speed, who knows. I watched all 90-odd some excruciating minutes of this movie without laughing A SINGLE TIME. This movie was recommended to me from a friend who (like many reviewers) thought it was one of the best comedies they've ever seen... and I didn't laugh once! I think I smirked a little bit when Bill Murray ran over the bike with his car, but one smirk does not a comedy make.
Apparently there are people who love this movie. I've talked to several of them, but none of them can really give any reasons why. I continue to think about why I didn't like the movie, how I missed the "spectacular humor" or "deep character development". I am left with only one conclusion that answers the questions, and it is one that many people will not agree with.
This movie was awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, nonsenical premise gets mistaken for clever writing, July 16 2002
"toasterboy2800" (Denver, Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rushmore (The Criterion Collection) (DVD)
I was surprised to find out that this movie was considered a comedy. I didn't laugh once, nor did I even know when I was supposed to. I thought this movie was a badly done drama. Very rarely do I ever rate a movie as "bad". Most movies in general are at least "decent" to "tolerable" and rarely bad. This movie exceeds bad and goes on to horrible.
The surreal, bizarre behavior of some of the characters in this movie are not only outside the realm of being remotely believable, but they make the people in American Beauty seem mild-mannered. So much of the stuff the characters do that you see happen has no relevance whatsoever to the plot, that its all bizarre filler. The movie drones on for what seems like forever, and much of that time is spent trying to figure out what's going on, and when you finally do, you do not really care. Once you do figure out the basic plot, you come to realize how asinine it really is. I really should have walked out on this movie when I went to see it in the cheap theatres. It only cost me a dollar. My father who saw it with me agrees with me, as well as everyone else in the theatre was visibly unimpressed by this worthless film.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rushmore = Smushmore Around Here, Jan. 14 2002
Nicholas Sissen (East Lansing, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rushmore (The Criterion Collection) (DVD)
Seriously, this movie really bad. All parts about i can t explain. the rushmore guy hangs out with that little kid and then rushmore all like wants this older girl who i seen in the sixth sense. now their's good movie. i also don't like how rushmore writes these plays and then he all solves things with them, people wouldn't really think rushmore is that good of play writer, he's only supposed to be like 13. i thought the movie would get good when rusmore says hey dj put on this song, i thought like sparks and cool rap song would play for sure, instead it is song with guitar and like music stuff. for real i don't know what bill murray thinks when he does movie like this. if bill murray finds interesting in places to go, then he come over to my house, cause up here at Michigan State University we party with style and rap music. i will forever remember this movie about rusmore and he own crazy green suit, yet he doesn t understand the true style of green, because that is what i bleed. GO green go Whit

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite films about adolescence, May 1 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The film that established Wes Anderson as a major independent
filmmaking voice, after his very promising debut with 'Bottle Rocket'.

Quite simply one of the most original films about adolescence ever
made. An unlikely love triangle between a unique oddly brilliant 'cool geek'
teenager, his teacher and a local business tycoon that's
simultaneously funny, absurd and heartbreaking.

Jason Schwartzman is great, and Bill Murray may do his best work ever -
side-splittingly funny, but with a damaged, sad, sometimes dangerous
edge just under the surface.

As in all of Anderson's films, terrific use of songs as score,
wonderfully inventive transitions and visual framing. And a lot of fun.

The Criterion version has notably better
picture quality, and some terrific extras (the regular release is
pretty bare bones). It's more expensive, but worth it for a film
you're likely to return to repeatedly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please...., Feb. 23 2004
Big-Z (Heavenly Valley, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
This film starts out very dull and boring and goes downhill from there. I love comedies and after reading the reviews I expected something as good as all the films it was compared to. No dice. It is badly written, terribly cast, poorly acted, and horribly edited... it should have been chopped down to 3 minutes. It has nothing going for it, so if a zero were allowed, that would be my rating. It is now on my list of the 10 worst films I have ever seen. Avoid at all costs unless you like cruel and unusual punishment. This film should be used to torture prisoners of war... after fifteen minutes of this crap, they would confess anything not to watch any more of it. If you like watching grass grow, this is the film for you... but then, on second thought, it is more boring than that. Grass has beauty.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL MOVIE, March 18 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Rushmore (The Criterion Collection) (DVD)
I was truly disappointed with "Rushmore". I had heard so many good things about this movie and about Wes Anderson. WHAT A HOAX! Bill Murray did a good job, but every time I saw Jason Schwartzman, I felt like punching him in the face. His character is a compulsive liar, a bad friend, and an arrogant jerk. How am I supposed to LIKE someone so vindictive and mean? To go from bad to worse, the movie dragged unmercifully. All I can say to Wes Anderson is: you took 93 minutes of my life from me; I want them back!

1.0 out of 5 stars COULD THIS MOVIE BE WORST?, Feb. 14 2002
Mauro (Buenos Aires, Argentina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rushmore (The Criterion Collection) (DVD)
Oh my God!.Is this a comedy?
I think it will fix in horror.This is one of the worst movies I ever saw.
It's so bad that it couldn't be more horrible.
Bill Murray had been kicked in his ass doing this film.You have to have guts to do something like this.
I have to say congratulations to the director, he got guts.
I can't belive, that some people even rated this with 5 stars!!
Come on!It deserves zero stars!!
I I could destroy it from earth, oh belive me, i would.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Pile of Horse Dung, Oct. 30 2001
This review is from: Rushmore (VHS Tape)
Alright, this is one of those random comedies. The humor is supposed to rest in strange, witty comments and actions. But I've seen funny random movies, and this does not do the trick. Max is basically just a jackass that runs around thinking he's brilliant. It just didn't strike home for me. I know that others disagree, but even if you do find this movie entertaining it is by no means a masterpiece.

‹ Previous | 141 42 43 | Next ›

Rushmore (The Criterion Collection)
Rushmore (The Criterion Collection) by Wes Anderson (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 67.99 CDN$ 26.20