5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Album Of All-time
If I could have gave it more stars i would have.

I've read quite a few of these reviews and I don't think people should call this a "punk" LP. I have been the proud & not-so-proud purchaser of over 12,000 LP's ... I have some pretty raw Punk records "the Clash" 1st LP was Punk....not London Calling.

London Calling was in my opinion the best LP of...
Published on Oct. 2 2008 by Andrew Stewart

3.0 out of 5 stars too short.
i`m old.i saw this clash tour with london calling.the songs on this cd(same think on show)are too short!!!!!jones didnt what mean improvised.strummer too.
Published 20 months ago by michelle laliberte

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Album Of All-time, Oct. 2 2008
Ce commentaire est de: London Calling (Audio CD)
If I could have gave it more stars i would have.

London Calling was in my opinion the best LP of all time....everysingle song is excellant...Spanish bombs is my favourite. Train In Vain was supposed to be a flexible Single included in a Playboy type magazine but that deal fell through so it was late being included in the package.

If there is someone out there thinking about buying this....then do it.
Listen to this 10 times and you will see why this LP has consistently recieved 5 Stars.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make them like this anymore...., May 20 2004
Ce commentaire est de: London Calling (Audio CD)
What can I say here that hasn't been said already??? Even the pompus magazine Rolling Stone had the smarts to call this album the #1 album of the 80's (being it came out in late Dec of 1979).
What a fantastic album this is of, ska, punk, reggae, rock songs. And LOOK HOW MANY THERE ARE! 19!!! Who has put out a collection of that many AWESEOME songs for release since??? I can't think of a SINGLE artist since then that has come anywhere close to doing that..
This album just isn't for new found rebelious young kids, it isn't just for aging late 30 40 somethings who relsihed the time, it isn't just for anyone who loves to dance (this album will MAKE YOU MOVE!!), it isn't just for earthy reggae folks, it isn't just for unabashed blue-collar protestors who want to rebel, this album is litteraly UNIVERSAL, everyone can get enjoyment from it.
I have to tell you one of the hardest decisions I had to do was when I was making a recording long ago with some other songs, I tried to have all the songs from this album, but I had to get rid of one of them... I couldn't do it, it was seriously one of the hardest musical decisions omissions I could think of. I was struggling to think if there was even one song on this album that was half ass, mediocore, or just okay that I could omit. There isn't they're all gems!!
Love this album, it will never age, and will always be better after each listen.
If you don't own this album you really need to get it if you love music.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a good album., May 29 2004
Jayrod (Munising, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: London Calling (Audio CD)
I just purchased this album a few months ago, and have been listening to it nearly every day since. I love how The Clash manages to blend so many styles into their songs. Sandinista! may have more diversity, but London Calling just has stronger and faster paced tracks. Standouts are Hateful, Rudie Can't Fail, The Right Profile, Clampdown, Guns of Brixton, Wrong em' Boyo and Revolution Rock. The only weak tracks are Brand New Cadillac and Lost in the Supermarket, but they are still tolerable and only become filler due to the greatness that surrounds them.

5.0 out of 5 stars must have for any music collection, June 7 2004
Paul F. Doig (chicago il) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: London Calling (Audio CD)
The cover is a copy of Elvis Presley's first studio album -showing that the Clash meant to change things.The Sex pistols divided the history of rock and roll in half and this album meant to set the record straight the the next era of rock and roll was personal. I think no other album set such lofty sights since sargents peppers and no other recording has taken itself higher. Sorry Beatles this is the greatest album of all time bar none. Joe strummers voice is amazing.As it mixes with the more polished Mick Jones, it set a new standard for dueling rock singers. London Calling sets the record off " London Calling to the far away lands/ now war is discovered and battles coming down" the hopelessness of 30% unemployment in london and the threat of nuclear war on the youth of the world with out a say in their own future. "london is drowning/ and I live by the river"
I remember putting on album one and was still in my room (at 16) 7 hours later listening to this gem of a recording.
By favorite tracks are Hateful about a drug addict and his dealer.Clampdown about apartied in South Africa(years before MTV and Paul Simmon thought it was cool to deal with).All lost in the supermarket about feeling lost and out of place in your own world.Revolution Rock great raggae song. Spanish Bombs and Lovers rock about taking responsiblity for your sex life.
All pretty heady subjects for a rock group, but the clash took their fans seriously and with respect. Listening to this album was a revolution battle cry for the 80's of Reagan and the arms race at any cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Nothing I've Ever Heard Before, May 15 2004
Ce commentaire est de: London Calling (Audio CD)
"Give 'Em Enough Rope," while it was quite good, was pretty much preparation for this album. "London Calling," incorporating punk style into Rock and Roll, is a genius album. There's such a variety of styles here. There's punk, eggae, ska, rockabilly, R&B, pop, hard rock, and even lounge jazz.
The album starts off with "London Calling." An explicity political song, but it has a great tune, and has become a Classic. Next, is "Brand New Cadillac." It sounds like 50's style Rock 'n Roll, but The Clash gave it a modern punk twist. It's short and sweet at 2 minutes, and has a pretty good guitar solo in the middle. Personally, I love "Jimmy Jazz." It's basically another song about working-class rebellion, as well as bashing authority. On top of that, it has a great melody, and some great guitaring in it. "Hateful" is what I described previously as "rockabilly," and it's a great song, and it sounds sort of like Jive in some places.
"Rudie Can't Fail" is another awesome song. THIS song turned me into a raving Clash Maniac. It is very Ska-ish, but also has that punk edge to it. SPLENDID song. Ah, "Spanish Bombs." Yet another song about political upheavel. It has a great guitar line, and it's sound is way before it's time. You cannot describe "The Right Profile" to someone has not heard it. It's THAT good. There are horns, saxophones, and guitar, vocals, percussion and bass all rolled into one. It can't get much more awesome than that. "Lost in the Supermarket" has a very interesting melody, and some very good guitaring in it. Even though this album was made in 1979, it sounds like a mid-eighties song. LOOKING FOR THE "CLAMPDOWN!" THIS song is another song that turned me into the aforementioned Clash Maniac. It sounds like Hard Rock, but rather mild. It's not Black Sabbath or anything like that. It's much more cheerful, but still has some gret guitar chords, vocals, and lyrics.
"Guns of Brixton" is almost Hip Hop/R&B, but also has Ska and Reggae incorporated into it. Also, it has an actual melody. Great song; you can tell that modern bands were infulenced by this song. "Wrong 'Em Boyo" starts out with about 30 seconds of a great version of Stagger Lee, and then it goes right into this amazing, classic Punk/Ska song. It has horns, saxophones, and other band instruments, but it's not over-the-top. "Death or Glory" has a great guitar and bass line. It has a real driving rhythm, and you can tell that some bands today were also infulenced by this song.
"Koka Kola" is quite fast, and pretty short at 1:47. I'm not absolutely certain what it's about, but its yet another great song. "The Card Cheat!!!!" This is a GREAT song. It has a FANTASTIC piano line, and it's very bassy. It also has horns and saxophones and things like that. Once again, AMAZING song.
"Lover's Rock" reminds me of a mid-seventies hard rock song, or at least the beginning does. It's pretty much a sweet song, with simple guitar and instrumentals. Nevertheless, it has some great lyrics, and a good guitar solo in the middle. "Four Horesemen" is not a really well-known song, but it's definitely a classic.
Three more songs! The next is "I'm not Down." The great thing about this album is that despite the fact that it has 19 songs, none of them sound alike. This is another fine example. The Clash were amazing at writing and recording such a wide range of styles. If you listened to a modern rock album today that had 19 songs, I'm sure that after listening to basically the same tune over and over again 19 times you would be ready to stick your head in an oven.
"Revolution Rock" is very very very supremely Ska. It reminds me a bit of Bob Marley and that "Don't Worry, Be Happy" song. However, The Clash have rock-ified it a bit more and made it simply groovalicious. The next song is probably my favourite on the album. "Train in Vain (Stand by Me)" has a great melody and guitar line. It's not as Ska-like as a lot of the others, but it has become a CLASSIC Clash song (as far as I'm concerned.)
The Clash have reached musical perfection with this album. How many bands do you know that can touch almost all music genres and not look like idiots? Not too many. They have political songs, as well as heartbreak songs, and not look like overly sentimental saps. The Clash will be remembered through many generations as one of the greatest bands that ever revolutionized punk rock. This album proves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars They called, we listened, May 7 2004
Rocco Dormarunno (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: London Calling (Audio CD)
It's often been said that the Ramones invented punk, the Pistols perfected it, and the Clash popularized it. I don't know about that. The Clash didn't resort to the stOOpid/brain damage image of the Ramones nor the self-conscious attitude of the Pistols. Right from the onset, the Clash saw punk as a vehicle for social criticism. On their first album, songs like "White Riot", "I'm So Bored With The USA" and "Complete Control" indicated that the Clash was interested in more than the up-yours/I'm-gonna-shock-you pablum of some other punk bands. LONDON CALLING epitomizes the Clash searching for other venues for its message.
LONDON CALLING marks the end, basically, of the major punk movement of the 1970s. In fact, there are only one or two truly punk songs. However, there is a great deal of reggae, power pop, disco/dance, Calypso, even Motown ("Train In Vain"). This double album also caps off the best of the Clash's creative output. SANDINISTA which followed two years later is an overblown mess. And COMBAT ROCK, rocked the casbah and not much else. Punk wanted to destroy rock and roll. In the process, they allowed it to renew itself. LONDON CALLING is the best of the post-punk creativity that emerged from that time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Death or Glory....you just gotta own this classic!!, April 23 2004
The Bas (Columbia, MO) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: London Calling (Audio CD)
The CLASH were one of the best (if not the best) punk bands of the 70-80's, and this is their 'Sistine Chapel'. It combines the urgency, angst, and passion of the band without putting you through the 'punk' sound througout (you can get that with their awesome debut 'The Clash'), however the message is loud and clear. No GUTS are lost on LONDON CALLING, as this CD portrays the extensive talents of the band (especially on the reggae end), but does not *bury* their punk sound or roots. It is the perfect extension of a 'sound' that was not to last forever, so the Clash decided to add a bit more - but at the same time not loose their EDGE. Is this just another punk CD - HARDLY. It is one that took the genre - one that was to change the landscape of lame music all about - and DID IT. Heck, they are Hall of Famers, and this big punk fan from forever ago (I am 45 now) HAIL the Clash!!!!! The only band that matters...
This CD is a perfect bookend to their first CD (just called The Clash), as you can hear in their early days that some reggae is OK to mix in with the punk-thrash we all know and love. As far as what they did after this one, I got it all...and I still think this was really their best stuff...SANDINISTA had it's moments, and COMBAT ROCK was their commercial thing (with a few great numbers, mind you). LONDON CALLING - 'well, some of it was true'...I'd say ALL of it, and this CD is simply essential for anyone who wants a piece of that punk movement, however I would qualify it further to say that this one is a great addition to any rock and roll collection that 'accepts' anything before 1970.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite album of all time, May 25 2004
The MacGuffin (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: London Calling (Audio CD)
I don't usually pick favorites, whether books, movies, TV shows, theater, artworks, etc. But I think I can say this album is my favorite album. Not perfect, but I have never seen (heard) perfection. This is pretty close. Every song is a keeper. And the fact it is a double album seals the deal. The Clash were moving away from the straitjacket of 70s punk and were now dabbling in rockabilly, punk, ska, etc. This album blends it all in. They could play a furious song and still craft an insanely catchy melody. This album will bring you out of any funk you are in. The slogan for the Clash was "The only band that matters". And for the two year period surrounding this album - it was true.

4.0 out of 5 stars hated it in 1979...love it decades later, Dec 18 2010
Brian Maitland (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Ce commentaire est de: London Calling (Audio CD)
When this came out other than "London Calling" and "Clampdown" I wondered if the Clash had lost the plot. I was never into "Police And Thieves" punk reggae and they went crazy here on this album with "Revolution Rock" and "The Guns of Brixton" and "Rudie Can't Fail" (although the latter is more ska-ish). Throw in the mixes of sounds from what sounds like lounge hitting the pub sounds of the '80s...well, "we" (as in the collective punk us) absolutely thought the Clash had sold out.

Boy, was I wrong! Years later it is my fave Clash LP because it's varied unlike the first two which are straight punk (still great LPs but come on!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked, April 20 2004
Kohl (Right behind you....) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: London Calling (Audio CD)
I'm just a 12 year old girl from the midwest. But this CD is [really] awesome. I'm so glad I managed to avoid teen mainstream (i'm talkin about GC NFG and all those other wannabes). This Cd is one of the best in my collection. I put right up there with "never mind the bollocks, heres the Sex Pistols", "...And out come the wolves" and "Energy". My Faveorate songs on this album are, "London Calling", "Brand New Cadillac" and "Koka Kola".

London Calling
London Calling by Clash (Audio CD - 1999)