Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Fall Tools

London Calling
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$10.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on April 24, 2013
i`m old.i saw this clash tour with london calling.the songs on this cd(same think on show)are too short!!!!!jones didnt what mean improvised.strummer too.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on July 1, 2004
I love the Clash's first album. It was exciting, political and brash. The second album was more of the same. So when London Calling came out I was really looking forward to it. The Clash are doing a double album, yeah! I remember seeing the cover picture of Paul Simonon smashing his bass and going "All right! This is gonna rock!" Then I heard "Train In Vain" on the radio and what a let down. I thought well maybe thats just the sell-out song for the radio, nope. What I got instead was a large dose of radio friendly pop-punk shlock for suburban Amerikan teen mass-consumption. I wanted the Clash dammit, not this crass adventure in musical dilletantism. I don't care how many styles they attempted to play. Whats the point when the Clash can't play them as well as the average practitioner in the genre they're covering? Who (...)cares about the lyrics when the music is lame? Goddammit where are the guitars?!?! The cover completely belies what the album sounds like, the Clash are complete sell-outs!
Thats how I felt then, twenty some years later my opinion has changed. I realize that every band wants to grow musically, few people want to play the same music year after year. However I still think "London Calling" is overated. It covers far too many musical styles without adding anything new to any of them. Its too wimpy sounding to be called punk rock. Its just far too self important. "The only band that matters", yeah, right.
After hearing Joe Strummers' previous pub rock band the 101ers I realised that the Clash never were real punks anyway, just hippies jumping on the punk bandwagon because that was happening at the time. There are just far too many songs on London Calling with shallow by the numbers leftist lyrics. "Spanish Bombs" anyone? If you want to hear genuine anarchist political lyrics listen to some Crass. By comparison London Calling is lightweight. Not that there aren't some very good songs on London Calling. "Lost in the Supermarket" ironically works as an anti-materialist screed in large part because of its friendly pop music sound. "Waiting for the Clampdown" is simply great. I'd give the album more stars but I much prefer the sound of live bootlegs I've heard where the band plays the entire album as though they have some balls. Now that's punk rock.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again