5.0 out of 5 stars It's two . . . two . . . two animated shorts in one!
Published 2 months ago by AJ Mittendorf

3.0 out of 5 stars Two for the price of one
This fine feature film, made from two featurettes, is a real gem to add to your collection of family Halloween favorites, or a joy to behold at any time of year.
This 11th addition to the Disney feature film canon is worth watching over and over again.
Published on Dec 14 2003 by Bruce Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars Two for the price of one, Dec 14 2003
Bruce Gray "gurpsgm" (Shenandoah Valley, VA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Bilingual) (DVD)
In the first featurette, we are treated to a retelling of one story from Kenneth Grahame's "The Wind in the Willows" - the story of what happens when Mr. Toad decides to go for a wild ride in his new motorcar. I can't even imagine any other version of the vision of Toad Hall and its inhabitants than this one anymore. I thought it was fairly true to the original source material. Basil Rathbone provides the narration, but other characters have their own voices. The only problem with this is that I thought Rathbone's horror talents would have lent themselves better to "Sleepy Hollow".
In the second, and far better, story, we are treated to a Disney version of Washington Irving's "Legend of Sleepy Hollow". While not as scary as the original story, nor anywhere near as scary as Tim Burton's movie based on the same story, it's still chilling enough to make a great Halloween party event without scaring the young ones silly. The Disney style lends itself fairly well to this story, too, especially in the characterization of Ichabod Crane and other characters. The story is told by Bing Crosby - who also supplies all of the character voices and songs. Crosby does a great job on characters who I thought would have been better voiced by Rathbone.
The DVD also features a karaoke segment - a standard feature of almost all newer Disney DVDs, as well as a storybook adventure and a gallery of collectibles.
A stellar addition to the Disney collection, and a good investment for anyone planning a Halloween get together for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's two . . . two . . . two animated shorts in one!, May 11 2014
This review is from: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Bilingual) (DVD)
Well, let's be honest here: For a pairing of stories into a single feature, this one should feel the most awkward. One is chipper, fable-like and heart-warming, while the second is far more frightening, even for a seasoned movie watcher like myself. It is, nonetheless, a successful pairing, and only Disney could have achieved such a success. Even so, because the two shorts are so diverse, I shall review them separately.

1. The Wind in the Willows
In this tale, we are introduced to J. Thaddeus Toad, the fun-loving, mania-minded wealthy owner and resident of Toad Hall, an estate that is the pride of all the animals. His frequent manias, however, have put his finances into a time of peril, and it is up to Angus MacBadger, a cranky old codger of an accountant, to help sus the money problems, while Ratty and Mole, Toad's closest friends, try to keep Toad out of any further trouble. Need I say that they are unsuccessful? Toad makes good his escape and chases after yet another mania: "the motorcar!" He buys one on the spot, and that action causes him to lose the deed to Toad Hall. It is then the task of MacBadger, Ratty and Mole to help Toad regain the deed and save his estate, culminating in a classic cat-and-mouse, cloak-and-dagger, knock-down, drag-out chase scene. Look for reprises of all four characters, plus Cyril J. Proudbottom (the horse), among others in Disney's "Mickey's Christmas Carol" (1983).

2. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Having read the original story by Washington Irving, I can say both honestly and enthusiastically, that, as fine a story as the original is for its time, it would deservedly be entirely forgotten by now had Disney not come along and up-scaled the story. Yes, the story has endured some minor changes, but all for the better. For instance, there is no threat in the original, of the Headless Horseman seeking a new head to replace his Jack-o-lantern stand in. In Irving's time, such an idea would be well over the top. Nope. In the original, the scariest thing that the spectre does is ride along side Mr. Crane as he rides toward the famed covered bridge. I doubt such a thing would have been scary at all even in the 1950's, but Disney's version, even in this new century, still sends chills into the hearts of viewers. While the ending may feel a bit perfunctory, as did the original ending, we are still left catching our breath for a very thrilling ride.

The 1958 award-winning duo of animated features has a running time of 68 minutes, and comes from an era when Walt Disney and his team of "nine old men" were at their peak in skill and technique as artists and animators. This is a marvelous work and is fully deserving of accolades even today. Even so, I tend to enjoy "The Wind in the Willows" only every spring, and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" every fall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids, March 8 2014
This review is from: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Bilingual) (DVD)
This movie I think is a family movie great for young kids. this animated movie is fun to watch and is funny. I seen this movie when I was a kid and when I seen this Movie on Amazon I went and bought it. I watch the movie and a lot of the story line I forgot, so it was fun to watch and I recumbent this movie if you have kids or your still have that kid inside you who likes movie like this one. I gave this movie a 3 because its not a long movie I is well done for the time it was made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, Nov. 6 2013
This review is from: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Bilingual) (DVD)
Arrived fast and was just what I wanted. Genuine DVD with disney code too. I will look on amazon Aaron for the best price on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, Dec 3 2012
This review is from: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Bilingual) (DVD)
Both me and my kids love it. A great classic for the whole family. Some kids might find some parts of it scary though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Adventures of Ichabod, Nov. 27 2012
Charming little animated film. I actually laughed out loud in the same places that made me laugh when I saw it as a child. Amazing old-school animation style. DVD delivered quickly and in perfect condition. I'm very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Ole' Bing Crosby!, Sept. 13 2010
Wesley Tucker "Man... Buy Classics !" (Edmonmton, Ab) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Bilingual) (DVD)
Ah, yes...two significant pieces of literature coexisting to meet the entertainment needs of any-aged audience. In this gem, Wind in the Willows and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow are separately brought to life by Disney's team of animation geniuses, and the result is an often eerie, musically charged and timeless tale of life, love, honesty, fear and adventure, that can be enjoyed over and over by the whole family.

My favorite of the two stories, the mysterious and dark tale of Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman, is brought to life by the delightful voice talent of Bing Crosby himself, as he serenades you through a narration of the creepy old tale, while also lending his flawless vocals to the films musical numbers. The result of the marriage of classic literature, talented actors, slapstick humor and incredible artistry, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, will find a place on your top-ten animated films list as you and your children enjoy the film over and over! This DVD is also a hot-commodity at Halloween!

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed..., March 5 2012
K. Hart (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Bilingual) (DVD)
I bought this movie for my Dad for Christmas. It was a childhood favourite of his. When my parents got around to watching it about a month after Christmas, the disc was skipping and when it resumed, would skip ahead. They managed to watch many other movies successfully, so the problem obviously wasn't the DVD player. I even checked it myself to confirm this, and indeed it skipped and jumped forward quite a bit. The DVD itself looks fine, so it must be defective.

As per Amazons terms, I cannot return it. It's unfortunate.

3.0 out of 5 stars When the spooks hold a midnight jamboree..., Oct. 23 2002
This review is from: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Bilingual) (DVD)
I'd never really realized that this was the name of the movie when I was a child. I never remembered Mr. Toad at all. I only remembered The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I guess the Wind in the Willows part is OK. It's because of the Headless Horseman that I bought this movie. I haven't seen the whole thing in its entirety since I was a child. It's much longer than I remembered. Still, it's a classic that I love to watch around Halloween.
The extras on the DVD that make it worth while are a ghost cartoon with Mickey, Goofey, and Donald. Also, be sure to play the silly question-and-answer game: there's a bonus vintage Disney cartoon at the end of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cartoons!, July 18 2004
This review is from: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Bilingual) (DVD)
I love this DVD, in fact it is probably my favorite in my whole collection. I watch it all the time and it never fails to entertain me and leave me with a wistful yet happy feeling. This DVD has great picture, good sound, and excellent extra features. I also find if you mute it and watch it with Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother is quite an experience. Anyways if you love cartoons(especially old ones)than this is a must own. The Sleepy Hollow toon is great for Halloween!

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Bilingual)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.97