5.0 out of 5 stars Breezy
There are so few books, movies, and products that just really light a fire under my, well, you know where region. The movie COLD MOUNTAIN was one such thing. The novel THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD was another such item. And of course, the ubiquitous and compelling classic that we all know------GONE WITH THE WIND. The first time I've seen this movie, I was fourteen years...
Published on July 6 2005 by William Mack

2.0 out of 5 stars An edition which is a dissapointment of a lifetime!
This edition of the movie is very disappointing to me. I received it as a Christmas present and have I been aware of its poor contents, I would have never wanted it. I have nothing against the movie itself, because it is a classic film which I like very much. My dissatisfaction deals with this edition.
First of all, it shows on the box everything that it contains,...
Published on Jan. 5 2004

‹ Previous | 116 17 1831 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars my opinion, Aug. 15 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Gone With the Wind (VHS Tape)
This was a good movie. I hate most movies that were based on books because I think they take away the picture of the character that I've always had in my mind. Not this one though. Gable and Leigh could not have been more perfect in my mind than if Margaret Mitchell had molded them just for the movie. The only part of the movie I don't like is Wade and Ella aren't in it. I think they were important in the book and they should have been in the movie. Overall I'm greatly pleased with the movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Frills Edition of All Time Greatest!, March 15 2004
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Full Screen) (DVD)
Arguably the greatest motion picture of the 20th Century, GONE WITH THE WIND continues to enchant and captivate viewers of all ages. This is a particularly beautiful copy of the film and is a feast for the eyes. Sound quality excellent, too.
Sadly, there are no noteworthy Bonus Features which is a real disappointment for the legions of GWTW fans or even to provide an insight to introduce new, younger viewers to its magic.
Nonetheless, it is an essential for your DVD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite movie of all time., June 20 2003
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Full Screen) (DVD)
I watched this movie for the first time when I was nine years old with my mom. I loved it all the great costumes and the huge houses. How one woman acted like a brat and wanted everything her way and soon found out that she had to work hard to make it through life. How she always that she was in love with one man and The one man who truely loved her she treated like dirt and then found out later that she truely did love Rhett. Tara was worth saving because it was her home and life.

3.0 out of 5 stars GET READY TO TOSS THIS ONE INTO THE WIND, March 15 2004
Nix Pix (Windsor, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Full Screen) (DVD)
"Gone With The Wind" plays like an old friend with its cliches of southern pageantry, its noble dipiction of the slave and lurid burning of Atlanta. David O. Selznick's masterfully told civil war melodrama is based on Margaret Mitchell's best selling novel. Mitchell, it seems, only wrote the book to keep her mind nimble while recovering from a horse riding accident. She never intended that it should be published.
By now spoiled southern belle - Scarlett O'Hara - has become a lionized icon in the canons of American cinema. It seems odd that Vivien Leigh was not the obvious choice from the start but Selznick spent nearly two years of preproduction in a nation wide search for the greatest female lead in any motion picture, any time, anywhere. There really isn't much to say that hasn't already been said of this perennial classic. Perhaps the greatest kudos came from a film critic in the 1960s who claimed, "There have only been two motion pictures in the history of American film; Gone With The Wind and everything else!"
THE TRANSFER: This is a flipper disc minted from the 1996 general release print that hit theaters for the film's anniversary. The DVD's color palette seems subdued to say the least, with muddy colors that at times betray the richness and lush lurid feel of the original three strip Technicolor. Though fine details can be seen even during the darkest scenes, intermitten edge enhancement, shimmering of fine details and aliasing throughout both sides of this disc distract from the general viewing. The audio has been remixed to 5.1 and although dated (big surprise) exhibits a richness in music tracks not present in the original mono recording.
EXTRAS: NOT A SINGLE ONE!!! This is a disc screaming for a remastering effort with extras that MUST include Turner's "The Making of A Legend" documentary and at least one audio commentary track - plus a host of outtakes, test footage and theatrical trailers. So where are they? Probably in Warner's vaults. A shame! They belong here.
BOTTOM LINE: Rumor is that "Gone With The Wind" is getting a new gussied up high def' remaster and should resurface in a deluxe edition sometime this year. I can't think of a better reason to start giving a damn!

5.0 out of 5 stars The DVD LACKs!, March 22 2003
meowwwwwww (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Full Screen) (DVD)
OK, here is what I NEED to see on a future DVD release of this fantastically beautiful film:
1.) Single-Sided, Dual-Layered
2.) True 5.1 Remastered/Remixed Surround Sound
3.) Improved Visual - More details in Shadowy Scenes
4.) Including a 2nd Disk of Extras
5.) Making of Documentary
6.) Deleted Footage
7.) Any and All Other Possible Bonus Material
My 5-Star rating goes to the movie masterpiece itself, of course. This DVD release deserves maybe 1.5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone with the DVD... very well done ...excellent colour, July 5 2000
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Full Screen) (DVD)
I recently (June, 2000) purchased this DVD. The Gone with the Wind DVD has excellent colour and the sound is crisp and not damaged. Very impresed with the saving of this important file.
It is NOT on widescreen...did not have them in 1939 but the wounded hospital scene in the Alanta Train station is still inspiring.
My 9 year old daughter saw the whole thing and cried so hard at the ending.
Sincerely,
AWH, MajorAWH@aol.com civil war reenactor in California.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, All-Time, Favorite Classic, May 8 2003
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Full Screen) (DVD)
Ever since the frist time I have seen this movie I have fallen in love with it. It's such a wonderful tale of how a way of life was literaly gone with the wind. Scarlet was not one of my favorite character when I first saw the movie but after awhile you realize that she had a tremendous impact. Also, that she didn't follow the women streotype; that she was definatley a trend setter. The movie was fantastic and I hope that you will by it, watch it, and enjoy it as much as I do.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hello? Warner?, Oct. 16 2003
dbphoenix (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Full Screen) (DVD)
Warners may regret having raised the bar so high with their recent issues of 2-disc sets of Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood. I can't think of any film more deserving of the red carpet treatment than GWTW, at the very least including the excellent "making of" documentary, along with the old screen tests, a "soundtrack only" option, commentary, and possibly an interview with Olivia deHavilland.
Let's go, Warners. This jewel needs a crown.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful movie, but needs special edition, Oct. 27 2003
ebinrock (Leander, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Full Screen) (DVD)
I agree with dbphoenix, Gone With the Wind needs special treatment before I'll consider purchasing the DVD. The Making Of documentary is a classic example of how Hollywood movies get made, despite a number of production problems and creative disagreements. I would also like to see screen tests of all the principals. Audio commentary? Well, I'm not sure who could do that. I prefer the director to do the commentary, but both George Cukor and Victor Fleming are long gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing the point, March 11 2000
J. Matthys "wayfaring sailor" (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Full Screen) (DVD)
I think the previous reviewers were sadly missing the point. Of course the two principal characters were less than perfect people--the beauty of the movie, all visual splendor aside, is the way it makes us care about these sometimes horrible people. Who wants to see another movie with cut-out characters who never waver in their ideals or morals? The relationships in Gone With the Wind are sometimes messy and sometimes infuriating, but never fail to be engaging.

‹ Previous | 116 17 1831 | Next ›

Gone with the Wind (Full Screen)
Gone with the Wind (Full Screen) by Victor Fleming (DVD - 2001)
CDN$ 24.98 CDN$ 19.95