summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools

on September 14, 2014
This movie was advertised on the website as having English subtitles - It didn't - it only had French and Spanish! As a VERY hard of hearing customer - this rendered the product useless - I have returned it.
on December 24, 2003
Ok, after reading the reviews, I'm going to be the Grinch that Stole Christmas. It has been a long time since I saw this film and waited in a long que on Netflix. I sat down and turned on the DVD. The transfer was very good: clean with decent sound. However, about half way through, the DVD quit playing; it got stuck and I couldn't get it clean enough to play through to the end. That was ok. I was about to quit watching anyway and return the disc when even the DVD agreed with me and quit playing. Lazenby's performance is wooden; it also sounds as though he was entirely "looped" (his dialog completely rerecorded) in post production. The sets looked cheap and the break-away furniture a little too cheesy and Hollywood-ish. It may be true that the film comes closest to the novelist's coception of Bond, but I will still take Connery or Moore; forget Dalton - his Bond was far too angry and bloodthirsty. Diane Rigg was beautiful and a good foil to Bond, but I thought their scenes lacked resonnance. They just didn't connect. Their "getting to know you" scenes were played as a far too itsy-cutsy music video. And Bond reading a Playboy magazine and admiring the centerfold was so '60's! I agree with all the other reviewers that the ending still has an emotional impact. Many think that ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE. is one of the best Bonds. I don't. Still, to each his own. My favorite remains FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE.
on November 22, 2002
"On Her Majesty's Secret Service" is, in my opinion, something of an unclaimed stepchild in the Bond family. It seems to have even less in common with the series than the independently-produced "Never Say Never Again", which at least had the familiar presence of Sean Connery.
Sure, the traditional supporting characters are here (Bernard Lee, Desmond Llewellyn, and Lois Maxwell), but OHMSS is such a departure from the norm they just don't quite fit in.
The main difference is with George Lazenby taking over the role of James Bond. His performance is neither exceptionally bad or good, just different. When I was younger and saw this movie on TV, I thought that Lazenby was just substituting for Connery, who was either sick or needed a break. Recently I learned the circumstances for Lazenby's hiring and departure from the series. Now I think of Lazenby as an inexperienced actor who had an incredible stroke of good luck but found himself in a role too difficult to handle. His subsequent acting career in B-movies seems to vindicate those who criticized his performance in OHMSS.
Another difference with the movie is that it was the first Bond adventure to feature actors already familiar to American audiences, Telly Savalas and Diana Rigg. Savalas's role as Blofeld was all right, but he struggled to maintain a "European" accent. Ms. Rigg looked good, but her role was something of a waste of her talent. It was definitely different seeing her play someone so vulnerable as Tracy Draco, compared to the steeliness and pluck she demonstrated as Emma Peel in "The Avengers". I thought she cried "James!" a few times too many. Ilse Steppat had a memorable performance as henchwoman Irma Bunt. Sadly, she died shortly after making OHMSS.
One scene I thought out-of-place was when one of Blofeld's henchmen got ground up in the snow-blowing machine, which proceeded to blow out pink snow. That seemed to belong in a "Friday the 13th" or some other slasher-movie series.
OHMSS's sad ending was another definite break from the Bond genre.
Just before going to sleep after watching "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" last night, I thought it wouldn't have been surprising to have the last scene showing Sean Connery waking up, thus revealing the preceding events as one of James Bond's dreams. The movie does seem like a dream to me.
on March 6, 2003
And I thought Moonreaker was bad. God. Geroge Lazenby sucks. He's a disgrace to the Bond films. Sean Connery would have made this movie a thousand times bettter.
Second, I never really got the plot. Blofeld is pretending to work at an allergy clinic? That's just plain stupid. Blofeld's actor was horrible too. The plot really never picked up until the end. The ski chase was cool. The bobsled thing was cool too, but Blofeld won't die.
The girls were ugly too. And I keep wanting Blofeld to act like Dr. Evil.
I'm starting to read the book. Frankly, I'd rather watch a movie than read a book. But, this is just a disgrace to Ian Fleming. Good thing he didn't live to see this. He would have died after he watched it anyway.
The bottom line is: This movie is the worst Bond film. Avoid it. Try watching something like Goldeneye or Goldfinger.
on November 23, 2003
It seems most people either really love or realy hate this film. Going back after not having seen this movie in years I find that I do Like George Lazenby as Bond. This is the only Bond film he ever appeared in. When the producers were able to get Connery back for one more film Lazenby was out. The film is about 10 minutes too long, most of which comes from the begining of the film when Bond is falling in love. It gets off to a sluggish start but improves as the film continues. I noticed that some fight scenes had been sped up, which gives it a rather "cheesy" look. My only other reservation is Telly Savales as Blofeld. I think Donald Pleasence from " You Only Live Twice" would have been a better Blofeld. Overall, the film is quite decent, but I was never really convinced that a playboy spy could settle down as he did in "Her Majesties Secret Service".
on October 13, 2002
There are over 150 reviews for this, a below average Bond installment, over 150! Goldfinger, considered by many to be the best Bond installment only has 135 reviews. There seems to be a lot of George Lazenby apologist's out in the world, for this is one bad Bond flick. I rank the Bonds based on their whole works as follows #1 (best) Connery, #2 Moore, #3 tied Brosnan-Dalton, #5 Niven (LOL), then the lowly last place Lazenby. If your into long, drawn out snoozers with speed film action fight scenes than this is your Bond. Oh did I forget to mention the great gagets in this one, it's because there are none. If your looking for non-gaget spy thrillers watch Danger Man, oops sorry that has more thrills than this high budget dog.
Like many of the recent reviewers of this movie, this is, unquestionably my favourite. The Daniel Craig movies are the only rivals it has. Poor Sean Connery. He seemed so right, but now we know that he wasn't the James Bond for the ages.

Lazenby was shabbily treated by almost the entire production crew, and still managed in most scenes to be the best Bond. When he failed, it was clearly because the director's simply ignored him and concentrated on the special effects and, now and then, the women. In the case of Diana Rigg, that was just fine. She knew her way around a set and is still the best "Bond-girl" ever. Even Halle Berry pales by comparison. Time, however, has been cruel to her wardrobe. The skating costume in particular is now only worth a few giggles, not the sex appeal it was meant to have. But the lady herself is stupendous. And Lazenby, with only a commercial for acting experience, was able to keep up with her. Why not have cast him in the next Bond film? He wasn't known, so had no other offers, and when the Bond people dumped him and refused to even send him on the publicity tours, they killed his career. But he is the best. Trouble is, that outside of the sections directly involving Rigg and precious few others, this was a weaker than usual script. And not even Connery could have carried off the kilt sequences that are thrust on Lazenby.

And Lazenby and Craig have also been by far the least sexist and emotionally immature of the Bonds. Unless Dalton's dour Bond is considered by some to be a mature rendering. But I see him as a spoiled brat of a Bond, unable to do anything but sulk.

P.S. I disagree with some of the other comments made in previous reviews regarding Telly Savalas. I can't see him without also seeing a lollipop in his mouth, and that doesn't scare me at all.

The weakest Bond? Let Pierce Brosnan and Timothy Dalton fight it out over that one. And they each got more than one chance at the part, and had stronger scripts to work with.
on November 14, 2003
Great story ruined by the inclusion of Lazenby as the legendary spy. Even worst is the replacement of Donald Pleasance by Telly Savallas as Blomfeld. The cold sinister performance of Pleasance is now performed by the coarse New York persona of Kojak. All together one of the most forgetable Bond actors and films along with the Timothy Dalton series.
on May 26, 2004
Most people can't get beyond George Lazenby replacing the beloved Sean Connery as James Bond. It's too bad. While Lazenby is definitely not Connery, his performance is unfairly bashed and ridiculed. He does borrow often from his predecessor, but if you have to copy somebody, make it the best. Lazenby does a fine job with the action sequences. All in all, he doesn't deserve the harsh press, even if this was his only Bond movie. Remember that he decided to leave the series, not the producers. Who knows how his legend would have played out if he played Bond a few more times? The movie itself has everything the other Bonds do. Great action sequences, pretty girls, evil villains, witty one-liners, great music. One thing it has that most of the others don't is a deeper plot beyond the bad guy ruling the world, although that is included. Bottom line, from the pre-credits sequence to the "surprise", emotional ending, this is the best movie in the Bond series. Watch it for yourself, keep an open mind once George walks onscreen and decide for yourself.
on May 21, 2003
I understand why so many Ian Flemming fans provide rave reviews of this film and I respect what they have to offer in why they feel OHMSS is such a great movie. However, what has made the Bond legacy so enduring to the action film genre is that it's precisely the overblown plots, gadgets, beautiful women, and tongue in cheek quips that most of the actors have brought to the part that make 007 such a big hit. I bought this DVD and had to watch it twice because I slept through most of it the first time because it was not the type of Bond movie I expected. It was not bad or horrible--it was just out of Hollywood character. Viewers expect to get the "James Bond" action hero that most of us have grown up watching. I'm talking about those "cheeky" Brits who can combine the action with comic relief. These days we can all do with a laugh now and again, and it's nice to know that with Bond, the "good guy" is going to win. I don't know if the series would have continued to be such a success had not Roger Moore stepped up and filled Bond's shoes after Connery finally bowed out. I have nothing against George L., and his acting was fine, but after OHMSS you can't blame the producers for going back to a formula that worked. Don't shoot me, Ian Flemming fans, but I've never read any of the books. I'm quite happy with my "Bond" being a Hollywood makeover.