5.0 out of 5 stars I have no axe to grind.
But if I did, this super grinder would have a go. This past weekend a local store had botrtom round on sale for $1.19. My family isn't into pot roast but we eat a lot of hamburger.
Published on June 24 2003 by Katie B.

1.0 out of 5 stars Metal residue mixed with my meat
Published 23 months ago by Iris Arellano

5.0 out of 5 stars I have no axe to grind., June 24 2003
This review is from: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
My wife picked up four roasts for the freezer. I trimmed the fat from one (surprisingly little) and made hamburgers for a meal and a gallon of meat sauce for about $4.50 in meat cost. I double grind using the small plate. The burger is juicy with no grease puddle left after panfrying. I grind in some fat for flavor and juice. The plates and cutter appear to be made of stainless, which I clean in the silverware tray. If you own the mixer, get the grinder. I just ordered the sausage tubes and a sausage cookbook from this
noble establishment. This item provides frugality and quality and is a must have. I have a cylindrical foam brush that does the tubular thing. Gristle, connective tissue do get wadded up in the various parts but do not impair function. You need to eyeball each part after the dishwasher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, April 18 2012
Michelle (Reston, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
I have used this product about 5 times since purchase making ground beef from cheap steak and stewing beef. I also tried it with mozzarella cheese. I did not like it for cheese but love it for ground beef. It is super easy to clean, operation was simple and my mixer handled a 5 lb batch with no problem.

The ground product comes out in long, thick strings - think like yarn or thicker, which didn't work as well with cheese. However this is not a problem with the meat. We tried both the thin and thick settings with the cheese, just in case, same result. Not bad, just not what I wanted.

I recommend this product

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome performance, Dec 3 2012
This review is from: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
Just bought this last week and was really impressed. I've never made my own sausage meat before, but it was very easy. The flavour and consistency of the Hot Italian sausages was excellent! The only thing I found was that the speed has to be on at least 4. If you run it any slower, some of the connective tissue in the meat can gum up the cutter and plate. I had a hard time keeping up with the machine as far as meat supply goes. It worked very fast. Cleaning is easy if you do it right away. (Very, very hot soapy water to soak.) There are a couple of little nooks and crannys that can really only be reached with a bamboo skewer, but on the whole it was pretty easy. The thing that took the most time was cutting the meat (10lbs) into cubes and waiting for it to chill in the freezer for about 1.5 hours (very important).

I heartily recommend this to anyone wanting to provide a healthy alternative to the chemical and filler laced sausages commercially available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best choice out there, Sept. 19 2013
Alexandre Nassif "A. Nassif" (Edmonton, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
I read a lot of reviews of many types of meat grinders. Reviews of this and other products are so mixed that one looking for a grinder would be left not knowing what to do. The reason I chose this is because my wife has had the professional version of the kitchenaid mixer for many years and she loves it. This way we wouln't collect another piece of appliance at the same time we chose something from a brand we already know. I decided to give a try...

... and couldn't be happier with the choice. From the reviews in this website it is implied the grinder would contaminate your meat, that would be extremely messy to clean, and that it would be tricky to have it perform properly. I think I missed something. Instructions were very simple and it just worked great. Yes, after grinding 4 lbs of lean beef the blade had some fat caught caught on it, but by no means it stopped working or had to be cleaned halfway. The black "contaminant" people refer to is in reality burnt/melted fat... the grinder will get hot after about grinding for a while, but this is just the mixer shaft heating up and transferring heat to the grinder axle. To avoid this you should have your meat COLD before starting grinding. Try it and you will see no black residue whatsoever. This is not a limitation of the grinder, it is a limitation of any "kitchen sized" grinder. Even a manual grinder will grind a lot better if the meat is cold to the point of being partly frozen. If you don't like this, then don't try to grind at home; or buy a commercial grade grinder and see it occupy your whole kitchen countertop. Other point reviews mentioned was that the blade wouldn't properly cut because it is the wrong size; this did not happen to my grinder, it may have been a problem in the "first generation" of the product but has certainly been resolved.

A baby bottle brush is the best bet for cleaning the inside of the grinder, if you (like me) don't like to wash it in the dishwasher. A toothbrush would work too.

I've been grinding 3-4 times a week and eating burgers and sausages (I have a separate stuffer) like crazy. Few appliances have made me so glad I bought them - this one is a top 3, or at least a top 5 (behind a BBQ and a espresso maker).

My only complain about the product is that the bowl that comes with the mixer is too low to be used on a countertop with the grinder - yes, 99.99% of the meat will fall into the bowl, but a tiny bit could spill outside. This is easily resolved by using something to elevate the bowl, but it would be nice not to have to do anything and just use what comes with the set. But this is being too picky already ... can't really deduct a star for this reason.

Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchenaid Food Grinder, Jan. 5 2012
This review is from: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
The trick with this grinder is not to overload it. Strips of meat work better than chunks and sinew clogs it up. With this in mind it grinds beautifully. And if you have a lot of basil to crush for pesto it will do it in no time. The rest of the ingredients can be added afterwards. Add a few pieces of bread at the end of your run to push out the last of your meat. Easy to assemble and disassemble for cleaning. A nice tool for home use. Your burgers will be fresh and custom made to your taste.

1.0 out of 5 stars Metal residue mixed with my meat, Aug. 8 2012
Iris Arellano "IA" (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
This product could have been an amazing addition to my Kitchen Aid collection if it was not for the metal dust that comes off from the center blade of the grinder. I end up with grey traces mixed with my meat which are hazardous enough to stop using this attachment. I thought it was a defect on my purchase, thus I researched more on this product. As it turns out, I'm not the only one with the same problem. This is indeed what happens when poor quality testing is in place. It seems that this reputable company used to make better meat grinders with stronger blades before 2002. These "newly developed ones available in the market now are really a disappointment on Kitchen Aid products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the sausage tube set also... its a must., July 24 2013
This review is from: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
Grind my own herbs directly into the meats I grind is awesome to distribute flavor.
As far as any grease trails extruding from bearings etc...... I havent seen any such thing.
With the sausage tubes I can also make my own skinless sausages or patties and WOW...
I know what the ingredients are because I am the one adding them. No more beef and or
chicken and or lamb and or lips and !@#!@#$ Just Pork sausages if Pork... Beef if Beef etc.

I love this machine!

There are some negative feedbacks on this item, but I think it comes down to that some people can drive....
other people cant. Some people can cook.... others cannot. Easy to assess.

Thing is.... if you have an item (Any kind of item) and it malfunctions...... Send it back, dont whine about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works really well. Burgers are awesome!, Sept. 2 2012
T. McNicol "mcnite" (Gibsons, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
Buying hamburger from the grocery means you get to "sample" an unknown number of cows (maybe hundreds). Also, when burger is made you can quickly see it turn grey due to oxidation - this also means you are losing out on nutrients. So making burger fresh and eating it right away is the best way to go.

This little KitchenAid grinder required some shopping around to get a good price (there was a huge! difference especially in stores like Sears). Once it was received I was eager to try it out. Here's the process (learned the hard way):

1. Remove the front screw on the mixer (also take out the bowl to use if you want or just to keep it clean. And there's no need for a mixer blade).
2. Assemble the grinder which you've left in the freezer for a while along with the steak. It's simple, put the large "screw" into the plastic holder then the blade, strainer (large one) and then the plastic retainer. Plug the whole works into the mixer and tighten (by HAND!) the screw there. Make sure the plastic retainer is tight or meat will end up in the space.
3. Cube the meat which should be semi-frozen for best results. Cut off and discard any large white sinews as they'll just get stringer and gum up the works; what does get through isn't tasty either.
4. Start the grinder and start dropping cubes into the top and pushing them down with the included tool.
5. Gather the first meat that comes out ground and feed it back through at the end to ensure all the meat goes through.
6. Once done the first pass (about 3-5 minutes for a large steak which makes burger for 2), take off the plastic retainer and pry out the large strainer, replacing it with the one with smaller holes for a second pass. Put all the meat through again and you are ready to make burgers.
7. Form the burger (not too tight) into balls about the size of tennis balls, flatten them with a thumbprint in the centre (prevents dome-burgers). I should have added you can add breadcrumbs or fat (they tend to be lean) to your mix although I have been going with the pure meat and it's awesome!!!

The only problem I've been having on the bbq is that the meat tends to stick. Spraying with PAM is recommended or adding a little egg to your ground meat mixture is also supposed to help but the real key to not leaving part of the burger behind is to have a really hot grill. And NEVER NEVER press down on the meat to watch the juices drip onto the flames. It just dries out your perfect burgers. EVERYONE should have one of these and now I'm thinking I should have bought some of the other attachments too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, July 27 2011
This review is from: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
I recently bought a higher powered Kitchen Aid and couldn't wait to try the food grinder. I bought a cheap roast last night and ground it in the food grinder. The meat was perfect after one grind on the coarse wheel - and the blender was only on 2 and the meat was coming out no problem, I was pleasantly surprised! I think my smaller classic Kitchen Aid would also be able to grind meat. I am not sure what fruits and veggies I would grind, but am looking forward to using it to make lunch meat with left over ham and poultry for school! Deff. worth the price! Also, if you're using a roast - the meat needed a bit of fat as it was dry because it was so lean - next time I will add the garlic and spices along with a couple slices of bacon in with the cubes.

5.0 out of 5 stars convenient, July 4 2013
This review is from: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
Very convenient, no need to haul out my bigger grinder. Easy to clean. Meat grinds better if slightly frozen.

Now I know what my hamburgers contain.

KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder