5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best choice out there
Published 19 months ago by A. Nassif

2.0 out of 5 stars Dark stuff in food
The food grinder works as expected with the exception of leaving dark (grease like) tracings in the ground meat. Occurs near where the drive shaft and grinding plate meets. At first I thought it was some grease from the packaging, but now I believe that it comes from the metal to metal contact.
Published on Sept. 26 2011 by SL888

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best choice out there, Sept. 19 2013
A. Nassif "Alexandre Nassif" (Edmonton, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
I read a lot of reviews of many types of meat grinders. Reviews of this and other products are so mixed that one looking for a grinder would be left not knowing what to do. The reason I chose this is because my wife has had the professional version of the kitchenaid mixer for many years and she loves it. This way we wouln't collect another piece of appliance at the same time we chose something from a brand we already know. I decided to give a try...

... and couldn't be happier with the choice. From the reviews in this website it is implied the grinder would contaminate your meat, that would be extremely messy to clean, and that it would be tricky to have it perform properly. I think I missed something. Instructions were very simple and it just worked great. Yes, after grinding 4 lbs of lean beef the blade had some fat caught caught on it, but by no means it stopped working or had to be cleaned halfway. The black "contaminant" people refer to is in reality burnt/melted fat... the grinder will get hot after about grinding for a while, but this is just the mixer shaft heating up and transferring heat to the grinder axle. To avoid this you should have your meat COLD before starting grinding. Try it and you will see no black residue whatsoever. This is not a limitation of the grinder, it is a limitation of any "kitchen sized" grinder. Even a manual grinder will grind a lot better if the meat is cold to the point of being partly frozen. If you don't like this, then don't try to grind at home; or buy a commercial grade grinder and see it occupy your whole kitchen countertop. Other point reviews mentioned was that the blade wouldn't properly cut because it is the wrong size; this did not happen to my grinder, it may have been a problem in the "first generation" of the product but has certainly been resolved.

A baby bottle brush is the best bet for cleaning the inside of the grinder, if you (like me) don't like to wash it in the dishwasher. A toothbrush would work too.

I've been grinding 3-4 times a week and eating burgers and sausages (I have a separate stuffer) like crazy. Few appliances have made me so glad I bought them - this one is a top 3, or at least a top 5 (behind a BBQ and a espresso maker).

My only complain about the product is that the bowl that comes with the mixer is too low to be used on a countertop with the grinder - yes, 99.99% of the meat will fall into the bowl, but a tiny bit could spill outside. This is easily resolved by using something to elevate the bowl, but it would be nice not to have to do anything and just use what comes with the set. But this is being too picky already ... can't really deduct a star for this reason.

Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have no axe to grind., June 24 2003
Ce commentaire est de: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
But if I did, this super grinder would have a go. This past weekend a local store had botrtom round on sale for $1.19. My family isn't into pot roast but we eat a lot of hamburger.
My wife picked up four roasts for the freezer. I trimmed the fat from one (surprisingly little) and made hamburgers for a meal and a gallon of meat sauce for about $4.50 in meat cost. I double grind using the small plate. The burger is juicy with no grease puddle left after panfrying. I grind in some fat for flavor and juice. The plates and cutter appear to be made of stainless, which I clean in the silverware tray. If you own the mixer, get the grinder. I just ordered the sausage tubes and a sausage cookbook from this
noble establishment. This item provides frugality and quality and is a must have. I have a cylindrical foam brush that does the tubular thing. Gristle, connective tissue do get wadded up in the various parts but do not impair function. You need to eyeball each part after the dishwasher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome performance, Dec 3 2012
Ce commentaire est de: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
Just bought this last week and was really impressed. I've never made my own sausage meat before, but it was very easy. The flavour and consistency of the Hot Italian sausages was excellent! The only thing I found was that the speed has to be on at least 4. If you run it any slower, some of the connective tissue in the meat can gum up the cutter and plate. I had a hard time keeping up with the machine as far as meat supply goes. It worked very fast. Cleaning is easy if you do it right away. (Very, very hot soapy water to soak.) There are a couple of little nooks and crannys that can really only be reached with a bamboo skewer, but on the whole it was pretty easy. The thing that took the most time was cutting the meat (10lbs) into cubes and waiting for it to chill in the freezer for about 1.5 hours (very important).

I heartily recommend this to anyone wanting to provide a healthy alternative to the chemical and filler laced sausages commercially available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Ground Meat!, March 13 2013
Ce commentaire est de: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
My mother has had the food grinder attachment for many years and loves it, so I decided to finally purchase one. I worried about the plastic construction, but it is solid and durable. My first time making sausage (ground pork) was effortless. I was surprised at how quickly and easily the meat was ground. I started first with the larger grind, then re-ground the meat using the finer grind blade. The meat was uniform and looked just like you get from the grocery store.

Clean up was easy too. Using hot water, any remaining meat residue slid off from the plastic surface. A little soap and water, and it was clean.

I did not experience any dark/grease residue that a couple others have mentioned. The blades are metal but not greased. Since the only other metal part is where the grinder attaches to the machine, I assume the grease is possibly coming from the machine, and not the grinder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, July 27 2011
Ce commentaire est de: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
I recently bought a higher powered Kitchen Aid and couldn't wait to try the food grinder. I bought a cheap roast last night and ground it in the food grinder. The meat was perfect after one grind on the coarse wheel - and the blender was only on 2 and the meat was coming out no problem, I was pleasantly surprised! I think my smaller classic Kitchen Aid would also be able to grind meat. I am not sure what fruits and veggies I would grind, but am looking forward to using it to make lunch meat with left over ham and poultry for school! Deff. worth the price! Also, if you're using a roast - the meat needed a bit of fat as it was dry because it was so lean - next time I will add the garlic and spices along with a couple slices of bacon in with the cubes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchenaid Food Grinder, Jan. 5 2012
Ce commentaire est de: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
The trick with this grinder is not to overload it. Strips of meat work better than chunks and sinew clogs it up. With this in mind it grinds beautifully. And if you have a lot of basil to crush for pesto it will do it in no time. The rest of the ingredients can be added afterwards. Add a few pieces of bread at the end of your run to push out the last of your meat. Easy to assemble and disassemble for cleaning. A nice tool for home use. Your burgers will be fresh and custom made to your taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes the perfect ground, Jan. 19 2015
Joleen Bonia (North Harbour, Newfoundland, CA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
I purchase chuck roast at the butcher and then grind it at home, so easy and a lot less expensive. I do the same for chicken and turkey breast. I also use the ground to make sausages. Very easy clean up as it comes apart and is dishwasher safe so you know it's safe to use over and over. I have been using this for a few years and have saved a lot of money buying the cheaper cuts and when the meats are on sale. There are two attachments for the size of the ground you want which is handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get your apocalypse on!!!, Aug. 1 2014
Ce commentaire est de: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
I have used my grinder for all kinds of things, most of which are a little shady in the eyes of the law.

You have heard of hash brownies... well say hello to breakfast sausage made with lean pork, maple syrup, a little sage and rosemary, and enough weed to make you forget about that morning coffee. By the time i am done with the sausages those pancakes are looking extra good!!!

My brother in law likes this paleo diet. I made him up the best burgers from a beef roast. The onions and the garlic I added were a dream and masked the bread chucks I put into them just to mess with the annoying prick. "Oooh upset tummy there Tommy, maybe its your organic gluten free beer made by 100% douchebag hippies."

This baby will carry me into the post civilized world like a king, steady power supply from a generator will make me a happy and well fed survivor. I take this rig camping and while the plebes are rocking their sheath wrapped wieners I am cooking up a sweet set of spicy bareback mouth pleasers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, love, love..., June 16 2013
Ce commentaire est de: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
Fresh hamburgers, chicken burgers, meatloaf, etc! As well as homemade relish, tomato sauce, etc! The ideas are endless with this thing! I have grown to love, love, love my kitchenaid 600 professional series, well worth all of the money I spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great attachment... worth every penny, Dec 4 2013
Ce commentaire est de: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder (Kitchen)
Bought this when it was on sale for $39.99 and there was a rebate of $20. Too bad I missed the rebate date and didn't get the reabte but this is such a great device that I still felt it's money well spent. We mostly use it to ground pork. It works great. There are just a few things to watch out for. 1) use a powerful mixer, we use it on a pro 600 which is fine. I can't imagine it working well with those lower powered models. 2) do not put any skin in... skin won't ground. 3) use the filter with the bigger hole, it's fine enough. the one with the smaller holes are useless. Anyways, this is a great attachment. I'm waiting to buy another small attachment so I can make sausage with this thing.

KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder