5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good
Published on July 14 2003 by Gavin Wilson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Mobil Fidelity
Do not get sucked in like I did, I thought that I was buying a "Teaser and the Fire Cat" Lp from the "Mobile Fidelity" label as advertised and that's not what I received from Fun Records! The old adage apply s if it sounds too good it probably not true!
Published on Nov. 28 2011 by kirby

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good, July 14 2003
Gavin Wilson - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Teaser And The Firecat (Audio CD)
Cat Stevens has, over the years, had a bad press. On his conversion to Islam, he repudiated all his recordings as Cat. Unfortunately there were many other critics who were happy to join in the frenzy of repudiating Cat Stevens albums. The most common criticism was that his most popular tunes sounded like nursery rhymes. Maybe that was born of jealousy at the sheer attractiveness of so many of his melodies.
In recent times, Cat has undergone a minor revival, partly triggered by the inclusion of 'The Wind' in the magnificent ALMOST FAMOUS movie, and partly due to the excellent remastering of all of his Island albums.
I have previously reviewed one of his greatest hits albums on amazon, and given it an unexceptional rating. But coming to 'Teaser ...' for the first time, I'm very favourably impressed by the quality and consistency of the album. The guitars come out of the remastering process particularly well.
The highlights for me are 'The Wind' and 'Moonshadow', both in much the same musical vein. I hadn't previously realised that Rick Wakeman played the piano on 'Morning has Broken', but in retrospect the piano noodlings are so obviously from the same hands that played 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII'.
There's plenty of evidence of Cat's religious uncertainty and pining, mixed in with some romantic soul-searching too. This may have been an album originally destined for 1970s UK bedsit-land, and today it remains a highly attractive, tuneful recording from a troubled artist that can equally be taken as summer's day entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaser and the Fire Cat, Nov. 26 2007
Ce commentaire est de: Teaser And The Firecat (Audio CD)
Many music lovers born before 1970 grew up with these beautiful melodies and vocals playing on the car radio, in the kitchen, at lots of parties and during romantic moments with their boy or girlfriends. A great mix of lyrics and music, some low and gentle and others that rock! Work with this much depth puts the current offering of violent, obscenity-laden 'trash it all' rap rhymes to shame!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Oct. 15 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Teaser And The Firecat (Audio CD)
Cat Stevens was one of the most popular singer and songwriters of 1970's. Almost every album he relesed between 1970 and 1975 went to the top of charts and even had a string of #1 songs including "Peace Train" which is included on this album. I love "Teaser and The Firecat" it is one of my favorites albums from this very talented and gifted performer who retired way too early from the music industry and converted himself into a buddist who I believe now lives somwhere in the Middle East. "If I Laugh" and "Bitterblue" are two of my favorite songs on this album and "Changes" is very good also. This is was a landmark album in Cat Stevens brief but successful career, come to think of it I think is one of his best albums ever next to another great one called "Tea For The Tillerman" I love the covers on both these albums. I don't know about "Tea For The Tillerman" but I do know that he thought of the concept and actually drew the cover for "Teaser and The Firecat". A man of many talents he was not only a fine musician but a very good artist as well. This album is FANTASTIC and I'm glad I found it on CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Tea for the Tillerman, March 10 2003
Levi Stofer (Lawrenceville, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Teaser And The Firecat (Audio CD)
Let me begin by saying that I think Cat Stevens was an amazing songwriter and he is truly a musical inspiration in my life. I don't care whatever his personal beliefs are in present day... his music speaks to me.
Teaser and the Firecat is no exception as it contains some of Cat's best songs: "Morning Has Broken", "Moonshadow", and perhaps the best song he ever recorded: "The Wind".
As a whole album though, this one is just slightly worse than the classic "Tea for the Tillerman" which was recorded one year prior. Tillerman seemed to be the peak in his career that he just couldn't top (Teaser being the first in the decline). Some tracks on this cd are somewhat weak and the structure of the album seems incohesive when compared to Tea for the Tillerman.
Tillerman had an ongoing theme of youth vs. adulthood and this one just seems to ramble about, similar to "Mona Bone Jakon", which is also a very good cd. These three albums are considered his best and I agree with that. But for my money, Tillerman is the very best.
Don't pass this album up though! And don't buy his greatest hits album.... You must buy Mona Bone Jakon, Tea for the Tillerman, and Teaser and the Firecat or else you will be missing some wonderful gems from one of rock's greatest artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars A flawed masterpiece, April 2 2002
John Moulis (Australia) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Teaser And The Firecat (Audio CD)
This is the album which consolidated Cat Stevens's career as a serious singer/songwriter. Released in late 1971 as a follow-up to the phenomenally successful Tea For the Tillerman it was a more adventurous recording which included several surprises. The Greek-language interlude in Rubylove made him a favourite in the Greek community and the semi-reggae rhythm of Changes IV and commercialism of Tuesday's Dead broadened his appeal beyond the singles-buying public who made songs like Father and Son and Peace Train number one hits. The Wind and How Can I Tell You are classic love ballads while If I Laugh was given a heavy workout on school radio stations. Peace Train became an anthem during the arms race of the early 1980s while Morning Has Broken was one of Stevens's most successful singles.
Universal Music have done their best to restore this recording after several complaints about the original CD release. The master tape was mixed through an enhancer (as was common at the time), however the settings were overbiased resulting in a "spitty" type sound. While this wasn't a problem on the original LP it was emphasised with the higher resolution of CD. Although the remastered version has been re-equalized and the bass boosted the faults in the original recording can still be heard. Nevertheless the sheer quality of the actual music still shines through. Cat Stevens was one of the distinctive voices of the 1970s and remains one of the most influential singer/songwriters of our time. Teaser and the Firecat is a musical triumph and is definitely a desert island disk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aah..the memories this album evokes, Jan. 6 2002
Sean M. Kelly (Portland, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Teaser And The Firecat (Audio CD)
Like many children born to the so-called "hippie" generation, I was bred on the songs of the 70's singer/songwriter genre. At any moment in my home, the music of Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, James Taylor, Carole King, and many others, could be heard. Among the most played songs in my home (and on any radio) was the anthemic "Peace Train," and through it came my formal introduction to the world of the former Cat Stevens. I loved his songs then, and cherish them even more now that I am in my early 30's. The music he created resonates as well now as it did then.
For my money, "Teaser and the Firecat" was, and remains, Cat's most perfect statement. From the opening strains of the uplifting and prophetic "The Wind" to the final pluckings on "Peace Train," Cat welcomes the listener into his world and you find all facets of the human condition talked about with ease and grace. How many of us can't relate to the sound of the embittered lover in "If I Laugh," or to the possibilities of love in "Ruby My Love," or to the heartfelt dealing of death and love lost in the emotionally charged and poignant "How Can I Tell You?" Very few, I'm sure. The pure outburst of emotion on these songs alone make the lp a keeper.
Many people of my generation will dismiss Cat as an idealistic hippie after listening to "Peace Train", "Moonshadow," or "The Wind," and perhaps that was true to a degree, but one can not deny the optimism that Cat Stevens brought to his music, and through it, to countless fans (myself among them- not a day goes by without listening to this lp at least once). In the wake of recent events in the US and abroad, the time has never been better to (re)introduce oneself to the music of Cat Stevens, and see what the fuss was about when he was at the peak of his popularity. For me personally, the lp hearkens back to the days before innocence was lost forever- to the simple pleasures of being a child, singing and dancing to music because it made you FEEL (and feel good, too). The world needs more such outbursts. Perhaps then we can all ride the Peace Train as Cat hoped for us to do.
While a few of the tracks can be deemed "dated" or "products of its time," "Teaser and the Firecat" is still an amazing album that holds more than its own in 2002. Find out why. Indispensible listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time favorites, June 4 2001
John S. Ryan "Scott Ryan" (Cuyahoga Falls, OH) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Teaser And The Firecat (Audio CD)
Cat Stevens had two absolutely great albums, and this is one of them. The other was _Tea for the Tillerman_, and _Mona Bone Jakon_ was darned close. If you have those three, skip the "very best of" collections; you have most of the "very best of" Cat Stevens already. Borrow _Buddha and the Chocolate Box_ from somebody and tape "Sun/C79" and "Oh, Very Young," and you'll have the rest.

(Not that his other stuff isn't _good_, but it's mostly not of the same quality -- though portions of _Catch Bull At Four_ come within inches of it. I don't have much patience with "fans" who tell us that the rest of us aren't "true" fans if we find "Foreigner Suite" to be much ado about nothing and don't especially care for _Izitso_. If we have to suspend our powers of discrimination and uncritically adore everything an artist emits, who wants to be a "true" fan of _anybody_? And what genuine artist would want such "fans"?)

Since this album is so solidly written and produced (and its quality, in my opinion, more evenly distributed than that of _Tea_), it's hard to single out any highlights; besides, it's been one of my absolute favorite albums for about thirty years, and who can be objective after that long? Heck, I learned to play the guitar from Cat Stevens, James Taylor, and Jim Croce, with some help from Lightfoot and Fogelberg and CSN+/-Y and a handful of others. I can't step back now and pretend I'm hearing this stuff for the first time.

But like all of its longtime listeners, I have my personal favorites. One of these is "The Wind," which is just about the most perfect "spiritual-seeker" song ever written in all of human history. (Hey, I said I wasn't going to be objective.)

His take on the old hymn "Morning Has Broken" is just stunningly gorgeous. If you even _know_ this hymn, he's probably responsible at least indirectly; it enjoyed an amazing popular resurgence in the liturgies of the 1970s after he turned it into a hit. And "Moonshadow" also made quite a few appearances in religious programs during that same decade -- not to mention around campfires in various altered states of consciousness. (Moreover -- voice of experience here? you guess -- the song is sufficiently simple that it can be played convincingly in almost any of those states.)

But my real favorites are some of the less popular cuts. "If I Laugh." "Changes IV." "Tuesday's Dead." "Bitterblue." And the great "Rubylove," a challenge in seven-eight meter and one of the man's few recorded nods toward his Greek heritage. (After he converted to Islam and adopted the name "Yusuf," i.e., Joseph, I fell briefly into the not-quite-nice habit of referring to him as "Bouzouki Joe.")

Which reminds me -- here's a little history for the uninitiated:

"Cat Stevens" was the stage name of Steven Georgiou, who was born in the U.K. in 1949 of a Cypriot father and a Swedish mother. Something of a musical prodigy, he released his first two albums well before he was twenty years old as was on his way to becoming a "pop star." He then fell victim to a terrible case of tuberculosis. When he returned to singing and songwriting, he had taken a decidedly more reflective turn and found himself delivering absolutely beautiful stuff with no apparent commercial potential. That was fine with him; he was no longer particularly interested in commercial success. But, perhaps ironically, his delicate confessional songs and his deliberate avoidance of "commercial-ness" turned him into a huge international star.

Well, he eventually (1977) became a Muslim and adopted the name "Yusuf Islam" (after the biblical dream-interpreter Joseph). At that time he also left the music industry. He has since recorded a couple of albums about Islam, but his last collection of commercial music was _Footsteps In The Dark_ (ostensibly a second volume of his "greatest hits," but in fact a set of lesser-known favorites and a handful of tunes not available elsewhere).

You can feel safe in ignoring the comments from people who think he has become "rigid" and/or "intolerant." The simple fact is that nearly every Cat Stevens album (the exceptions being his first two) are filled with "spiritual seeking," and he eventually found what he was looking for in Islam. His "recent" (actually, 1990) remarks on Salman Rushdie were not what you probably think they were (and in particular he didn't call for Rushdie's death). He's no more "rigid" or "intolerant" than the rest of us; he's simply a religiously observant Muslim, that's all. There's a problem here only for people who think seekers should never get around to finding, or that traditional religion is more "dogmatic" than irreligion.

_Tea_ and _Teaser_ are still great albums, and they don't need to "transcend" their creator in order to be great; there's no need to run down Yusuf in order to elevate Cat. And since these albums _were_ written during his "seeker" stage, they're suitable for everybody -- future Muslims or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of Stevens' Best, Dec 9 2000
Ce commentaire est de: Teaser And The Firecat (Audio CD)
"Teaser And The Firecat" was my first Cat Stevens album, and undoubtedly one of his best. This was the album which made him a household name in many parts of the world, and is also one of Stevens' most accessible albums, and there are a number of excellent songs. "Moonshadow", "Morning Has Broken"(I remember singing this one in school assembly when I was a nipper) and the calypso-flavoured "Peace Train"(one of Steven' best songs) were the obvious hits, and are among the songs that most new Cat fans like the most. Much of the lesser known stuff on the album equals the greatness of the aforementioned songs. "How Can I Tell You" is an overlooked masterpiece, and a very beautiful song to boot. "Rubylove" is a nice little folk song with a Greek flavour (Stevens even sings a few verses in Greek). "The Wind", although brief, is another excellent folk tune. "Bitterblue" and "Tuesday's Dead" are both fairly upbeat and catchy pop/rock numbers.
If you're a new Cat Stevens fan, this is a worthy first purchase, and although it may not be as perfect as Stevens' masterpiece "Tea For The Tillerman", it is nevertheless a superb album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Sixties Masterpiece!, Oct. 11 2000
Barron Laycock "Labradorman" (Temple, New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Teaser And The Firecat (Audio CD)
Whoops! Yeah, I know. How can anyone still favor the music from someone whose own recent public pronouncements belie the dreamy humanism and tolerance of the lyrics in these songs? Still, after thirty years of listening to this album, it still puzzles me that anyone capable of creating such beautiful lyrics, enchanting melodies, and memorable arrangements could now be so rigid and intolerant of others. Go figure. Yet, I have to admit that the music remains, folks, a monument to late sixties-early seventies consciousness, a pillar to the edifice of the whole notion that we could change the world and make it a better, more tolerant, and more humane place to live in. All the music here is wonderful, and I can listen to the album without missing a lovely beat, from "The Wind" to the magical and breath-taking "Peace Train". Even the cover art by Cat himself is an enchanting reminder of the kind of soft pop sentimentalism that one expects from a gentle soul such as is portrayed here. My own personal favorites are "Rubylove" with its Greek choral overtones and instruments (Stevens is an English-born son of Greek ethnic parents), the soft yet soaring "Morning Has Broken", a song I have never heard a harsh word against, and of course, "Moonshadow", another in a series of similar unforgettable Cat Steven's catchy musical confections. There is simply no getting around how uniquely talented he was. Like "Tea For The Tillerman" before it, this terrific album is a reminder that sometimes art rises above the level of its all too human creator. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stevens teases with his songcraft and melodies, June 1 2000
Ce commentaire est de: Teaser And The Firecat (Audio CD)
Cat Stevens. Most folks remember him today for "soft rock", his devotion to the Muslim religion and little else. Which is sad. Stevens at his peak was one of the finest singer-songwriters to emerge during the 70's. He had his pretentious moments (Foreigner Suite from Foreigner) and his intellectually challenged songs as well (anything from Izitso)but most of his material has aged gracefully.
Teaser along with Mona Bone Jakon, Catch Bull and Tea for the Tillerman is among his best gems. Although it misses the whismical undercurrent of Tea and Mona, Teaser more than makes up for it with sharply constructed songs. The melodies throughout are rich and when the words get in the way (as happens on a couple of tunes), the rich production and music more than make up for it.
So how's the sound quality? Quite an improvement over the previously issued edition but not a huge difference from the last couple of anthologies that were issued. The sound quality is stunning with plenty of sonic detail. The remastering by the ubiquitious and talented Ted Jensen manages to capture both the warmth and depth missing from the previous version. Jensen doesn't sacrifice anything to achieve a better sounding CD.
The packaging varies a bit as there is a limited (numbered) edition with tries to duplicate the original LP art(which will probably be around for at least a little while). Then there is the standard CD version with the booklet. It doesn't really matter which one you get as they're about the same.
This reminds us about the life Cat Stevens had before he changed his name and gave up pop music. He moved on at the right time as he was pretty much a spent force musically by the time of Buddah & The Chocolate Box. Teaser has aged well and still charms with its percolating rhythms and rolling acoustic guitar sound.
Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Teaser And The Firecat
Teaser And The Firecat by Cat Stevens (Audio CD - 2000)
Click for more info