5.0 out of 5 stars Sountrack to life
Published on July 10 2002 by Daniel Gardiner

1.0 out of 5 stars dynamite!
Just when you think the scorpions couldn't do worst...they prove you wrong!
Even Metallica's s&m is better...close but still.
Published on Oct. 20 2002 by Phil On

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars dynamite!, Oct. 20 2002
This review is from: Moment Of Glory (Audio CD)
Just when you think the scorpions couldn't do worst...they prove you wrong!
Even Metallica's s&m is better...close but still.
I am sure that it was a great experience to live, for the band and the audience, because that type of event is always unique and can bring strong emotions-unless you have a dumb..s sitting next to you, drinkin' beer and screaming every five minutes Dynamiiiiiiite!!-but on cd...for me it doesn't do it,but it probably is a treasure for those who were there.
Now, I'm not gonna start the debat with DEEP PURPLE and the LSO(1999) but I was there at the Royal Albert Hall and that's why I can understand the concept and the thrill of holding the recording of such concerts...but still DEEP PURPLE 's symphonic album features something that neither Scorpions or Metallica holds...and this is an ORIGINAL PIECE OF MUSIC CREATED FOR A GROUP AND A ORCHESTRA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sountrack to life, July 10 2002
This review is from: Moment Of Glory (Audio CD)
The only comlaint you could have about buying this album is that it is relatively short. That shouldnt stop you from buying it! Inevitably this will be compared to Metallica's S&M: but this is spit-and-polished metal and ballads that puts it to shame. The updated "rock you like a hurricane" is terrific, although Klaus Meine's vocals (in my opinion) just werent _quite_ as beautiful as usual. This song opens strong orchestrally, and closes just as hard. "Moment of glory" is wonderful. The children's choir is a nice touch, adding to the songs' message of hope, and I particularly like the impish ending by the orchestra here and on "wind of change". "send me an angel" features vocals split with Italian superstar Zucherro (you may have seen him on vocals during the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert). The song still sounds excellent here. "here in my heart" has to be one of the prettiest duets Ive heard. "big city nights" opens hard, and never stops. I much prefer this version, incl. guest vocals. This album sounds like the winning soundtrack to a movie. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An fresh exciting sound from our favorite band - The Scorps, March 20 2001
This review is from: Moment Of Glory (Audio CD)
I have been a scorpions fan since I was first introduced to their style of hard, fast, guitar deity rock. Let me just say that after listening to this album, I have become a bigger fan. It's just too bad that the Scorps are on the tail-end of their careers, because I'm sure they could keep producing for their loyal fans. However in this day and age when most are thrilled with consuming smoothed-out synthesized teeny bop and bubble gum rock, it's hard for the *real* musicians to survive. My suggestion: Get as much of the Scorps as you can while they are still playing.
As for this album, it is spectacular. I look forward to acquiring the DVD of the performance in order to get its full effect. But for now, the album is great. Why?
First, the songs contain more sound. Any music listener can appreciate orchestra, and so adding those elements with some rock music really creates an interesting fusion of the two. Metallica was pretty successful with their effort, but Metallica's music was known for pure anger, speed, volume and agression. So when Metallica added the orchestra, only certain songs worked well, No Leaf Clover being one of them. This effort by the Scorps has matched more songs to the orchestra better than Metallica's effort. I do like the fact that Metallica's version with the orchestra puts Lars' drums in the forefront. One difference between the Scorps effort and Metallica's is that in Metallica's I get the sense that Lars is leading the orchestra, versus in the Scoprs effort, the conductor is leading the orchestra. However, despite the fact that the drums aren't solid enough in the Scorps effort, it still rocks - though I'd love to see Rarebell again.
Second, I *never* believed that Wind of Change, Rock You Like a Hurricane, and Send Me an Angel could be improved; but I was wrong. I have never heard a more well crafted peice than I hear in Wind of Change. And with the newly added and long overdue orchestral elements, this song will live forever. Adding the orchestra opens up that song and several others to a diverse, wide range of musical listeners.
Third, this album is great because it's a new, fresh sound from the Scorps, but yet manages to retain the old roots throughout. I was somewhat frustrated with the loss of Herman Rarebell as the drummer because while he was with the band, the tracks were all extremely tight, punchy and boomy. With Kottak we have a quicker, more electronic pop sound. But surprisingly, (as a drummer myself) Kottak fits very well in this setting.
I'm sure Amazon won't let me say much more, but you really need to get this album if you are a real fan. It will probably not be appreciated as much by those of you who were big fans during the mid to late 70's, but for the younger generation interested in newer music, this album will work for you. This album will also appeal to more mature listeners who expect more from music than just loudness.
Try it, I'm certain you will be surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-have for anyone who appreciates Great Music, Jan. 3 2001
Cameron (Torrance, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moment Of Glory (Audio CD)
Are you a Rock fan like me? Do you appreciate MELODY? Do you appreciate well played instruments? Do you appreciate vocalists who can actually SING? Do you appreciate ARTISTS? If you do, then you are "MELODIC ROCK FREAK" just like me!
Imagine what it was like to listen to Great Rock and Roll. Imagine what it was like to buy CDs that had accomplished musicians playing great music that Rocked! Imagine how Great melodic Rock made you feel! Well, This CD is a throw back to those good old days.
Simply said: This CD has magnificent music and that's why you should buy it!
I attended the Scorpions concert here in Los Angeles (Sept 28, 200-) in which they had the full symphony orchestra. I saw the same great performance then that you'll hear on this CD. But this CD, open it, blast the volume high, and listen. The opening song is "Hurricane 2000" which is the classic "Like you Rock a Hurricane" with a full Orchestra behind it. Hear the opening with the symphony and watch (Actually listen) to the Guitar Kick in. Listen carefully and you'll hear the symphony in the back ground constantly.
Listen to the Ballad "Send me an Angel." This version is a duet with Zucchero, whom I believe is an Italian Opera singer like Pavoratti.
Listen to Klaus Meine's unique voice blend with Zucchero's.
How about a symphonic version of "Winds of Change"?? How about the "Deadly Sting Suite?" An instrumental-only song combining a classical-music playing Orchestra with the Guitar Chops of Matthias Jabs!!!
The review by the fan from Ann Arbor MI written on November 1, 2000; And the review by Gary Fang written on September 23, 2000 are very accurate. This CD will leave you longing for more! And by the way: I don't know what they said about this CD, but regardless, do not listen to them.
I am a 80s MELODIC ROCK FREAK!! Take it from me: You'll love the CD if you love Melodic Rock, if you appreciate well played instruments, if you appreciate musicians who have taken time to perfect their playing of their instruments, great vocals, singers who actually SING etc....
Had this CD been released in the 80s, it would have sold millions!! But today is a time when Radio Stations and MTV don't promote these older bands, at a time when your imbecile, weasel, idiot of radio DJ won't plug these older bands. Thus, as a result, at such times these bands don't sell that well. This is the sad truth regarding music at the current time, Rock'n'Roll fans!
Nevertheless, this is a CD of high artistic quality and you should buy it, and recommend it to your friends. We only have each others' word of mouth to go by.
Hope you enjoy this CD, Cameron
Ps. I am in no way affiliated with this band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting CD!, Nov. 1 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Moment Of Glory (Audio CD)
I first heard this CD two weeks ago while I was riding from Aspen to Denver. The driver of my car put in the CD and said,"What to do think of this?" I was so excited by this CD. I've been a Scorpions fan since the 80's and also love classical music. What excited me about this CD is that both the heavy metal and classical elements are equally showcased. They compliment each other perfectly. I must praise the arranger who was able to meld these two musical worlds so perfectly. I also appreciated hearing another vocalist singing classic Scorpions songs. It added another dimension. I bought the Metallica CD after hearing this one and felt quite let down. It did not have the balance and energy of the Scorpion CD. The violins at the beginning of "Hurricane 2000" sent shivers down my back. Another highlight is the perfect pitch display by Klaus and the female singer (who seems not to be credited? Correct me if I'm wrong) in "Here in My Heart." And the violin addition in "Still Loving You" is perfectly dramatic...it matches the tone of this song. Each time I listen to this CD, I find something new to hear. It's been a long time since I could say that about a CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Moment of Glory, Sept. 23 2000
Gary Fang (Roselle, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moment Of Glory (Audio CD)
You don't have to be a die-hard Scorps fan to love this one. This CD does such a great job of blending hard/melodic rock with sometimes subtle and sometimes bombastic orchestral arrangements.
I usually enjoy orchestra covers of rock bands but really relish the mix of actual band members and the orchestra itself. To hear the orchestra backing up the sweet vocals of Klaus Meine and the guitar licks of Herr Schenker and Jabs is fantastic. At first I was dissapointed hearing new guest voices on "Send Me an Angel" and "Big City Nights", but after repeated listenings the vocals actually added to the song.
The orchestra ends up sharing the limelight with Scorpions by taking a backseat on some songs by adding just the right texture and accompaniment (Send Me An Angel, Big City Nights) while leading the charge in full splendor on others (Crossfire, Deadly Sting Suite, Still Loving You). The orchestra arrangements are flawless adding just the right touch of melody and harmony in all the right places. I get chills every time I listen to the two instrumentals (Crosssfire and Deadly Sting). It's like listening to a blend of classical, action movie soundtrack, and heavy metal rock music all rolled into one. Cudos to conductor. "Lady Starlight" is another classic song that is taken to new hights with the back-up of the old Harmoniker. In fact every song has that little something that sets it apart and develops cravings in you to hear it again and again. I could go through each and every song and point out the highlights of each (new vocals, duets, guitar solos etc.) but I am limited to 1000 words.
Sufficed to say I loved this CD and the only regret I have is that there were only 10 songs. It also developed a desire to hear every Scorpions song covered in such a way.
P.S. I played this CD to a group of people with diverse tastes in music ( most of them never agree with me on my musical choices) and everyone was blown away by the tracks. They all asked for the details so they could run out and purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no one like the Scorpiooooooooons!, Sept. 2 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Moment Of Glory (Audio CD)
I totally disagree with the review that stated Metallica's venture into metal/orchestra was better than the latest effort by the Scorpions. In fact, I'd like to draw a stark contrast between the two. Metallica's first mistake was recording the album live. There was no way to get everone's instruments (orchestra and Metallica) to balance evenly. Just listen to one of the truely great Metallica songs of all time, "Master of Puppets." It starts well, but once everyone gets going together and James adds his vocals, it sounds horrible. You can't discern from where the music is coming from. The producer of MOMENT OF GLORY should get an A+. True, the Orchestra dominates the CD, and the Scorpions merely fill in the gaps. But that is actually what I prefer. It is something very unique. "Hurricane 2000" and "Send Me An Angel" are two great examples where the orchestra makes the song what it is. However, "Big City Nights" reverses the formula and puts the Orchestra in the background, and amazingly, it works just as well. Not to mention, the guest vocals on "Big City Nights" are incredible. I am a little dissapointed there are only 10 songs, and very few rockers, but that is only because the CD left me wanting more. That is the surest sign of a great piece of work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Album most likely to please a mixed crowd, June 21 2001
This review is from: Moment Of Glory (Audio CD)
I agree with the previous reviewer who wrote that he played this CD for a "mixed crowd" of musical tastes...I did the same thing, and many people really liked this CD (and it's hard to get this group to agree on much of ANYTHING!).
I listened to the Scorpions when I was in high school in the '80's, playing guitar in the high school jazz band, and being influenced from everyone from Wes Montgomery to Scorpions.
I recently heard a track from "Moment of Glory" on the radio, and I was blown away. After listening to the full CD - I really like it! (I'll leave the deconstruction of the CD to the truly die-hard Scorpion fans... :-) I also agree with the amazon review that the album teeters gracefully between wine-and-cheese and cheesy.....and somehow pulls it off successfully.
At least....check it out of the local public library - and see if you don't think about buying it! :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice try but definitely second bext, Aug. 31 2000
Ap3X (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moment Of Glory (Audio CD)
I was very interested to here what this CD was like. Having bought Metallica S&M and listened to that almost incessantly for a month. I wondered whether The Scorpions were attempting to reach the same giddy heights or whether they were just cashing in. I have to say, disappointingly, the latter is the case. There are a couple of stand-out tracks (esp. Send Me An Angel which earns one of the above stars by itself) but the majority sound like they've simply hired rent-an-orchestra and left them to it. This is in stark contrast to the Metallica offering which blends the sweeping strings and leaping horns with the original music in such a way as to make them seemingly inseperable. Maybe this isn't the fault of the Scorps themselves but they should never have allowed this CD to have been released. Lastly, 10 tracks?! Come one - you're just not trying! Sorry lads, thanks but no thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well done album, Sept. 26 2000
The Dark Exile (Bowling Green State University, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moment Of Glory (Audio CD)
This is a very good album by the Scorpions, a group i've loved for over a decade. I'm glad to see the classic Scorps songs redone this way. Recently, it had seemed the Scorpions were too busy trying to "fit" their music style with the times, as they have the past couple albums (most notably Eye II Eye), and have done less than an average job of making new songs live up to their memorable rock ballads of the 80's and early 90's.
The only problem i've had with this album is that lead singer Klaus Meine isn't always the one singing, as in Send Me An Angel. If i'm listening to a Scorps song, I definitely want to hear Klaus' unforgettable voice.
All in all, it's a great album. I think perhaps handled better than the similar Metallica S&M, as it was created in studio, instead of live. Of course, I happen to favor studio recordings.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Moment Of Glory
Moment Of Glory by Scorpions (Audio CD - 2008)