4.0 out of 5 stars Look at my package!
I myself am not a huge fan of Sandra Bullock, but I do respect her a lot more after viewing this film. Like most guys, I was made to watch this for the sake of a woman. I thanked her right after the credits.
Published on Oct. 14 2003 by whistler6

3.0 out of 5 stars Better on DVD than the Theatre
Published on April 2 2002 by SheLikesDvds.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Look at my package!, Oct. 14 2003
"whistler6" (Not Inbred, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 28 Days (Special Edition) (DVD)
Bullock is forced, by court order, to under go detox after a series of bad drunk moments. She tackles a very sensitive subject head on in this film and really shows a side of her talent that is incredible. Of course, she has a superb cast behind her including Steve Buscemi and an always great Viggo Mortensen.
Trust me this is not a "chick flick". It is a funny and touching story that I never would have thought by the title. Pick it up, you can thank me later.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Unappreciated Movie, Sept. 1 2003
This review is from: 28 Days (VHS Tape)
Most people haven't seen this movie, which is a shame, since it's one of Sandra Bullock's best movies, and also features Viggo Mortensen (of Lord of the Rings), who is almost unrecognizable, but definitely hot, as baseball player Eddie. The other actors are wonderful too, even the minor characters shine. This movie has some great moments of humor, but also delivers some great life lessons. It's also interesting to see Sandra Bullock do drama, which she pulls off wonderfully. I would highly recommend this film to everybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars 28 days is great, Nov. 4 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: 28 Days (Special Edition) (DVD)
This is a fantastic film!
OK, so I only bought it because Viggo Mortensen features, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Sandra Bullock was fantastic, giving a fantastic performance as Gwen, and Viggo was hot, hot, HOT as Eddie.
This film gives a sometimes lighthearted look at rehab, but the message is touching and the actors performances are great

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Sandra Bullocks shining moments, Aug. 16 2003
Dragonsgrrl (Olympia, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 28 Days (Special Edition) (DVD)
We love Sandra Bullock movies in this house. This one is no exception. Sure there are a couple of cheesy moments, but for the most part, this one is probably her best, performance wise. It's not easy to play a believable addict without resorting to over-used Hollywood cliches, and she plays it well without overdoing it. A few nice examples are the sugar-addiction that most addicts experience when giving up the drug of choice. The gum-wrapper chain was also very close to the truth. That nervous "sober" energy needs to be used up somehow! I was married to an alcoholic and everything she went through looked very familiar to what my ex-husband experienced. Anyways, even if you are not familiar with addiction, this is still a very entertaining movie, as are all her other movies. I would recommend this movie, ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Standard Bullock Film, July 25 2003
J. M. Zuurbier (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 28 Days (Special Edition) (DVD)
If you like Sandra Bullock, you will like this movie, plain and simple. 28 DAYS is about a woman named Gwen (Sandra Bullock) who enters rehab after she gets before and during her sisters wedding, destroying a cake, and crashing a limo into someone's house. She enters rehab and there is a lot of conflict when she doesn't mingle well with the other patients, and refuses to participate in their chants or chores. Eventually she comes around, befriending others in her group. Through flashbacks we see where Gwen's problems may have come from. There is plenty of comedic moments in the movie, making it funny, but the movie also has a dramatic edge. It's a fun Bullock film fans of the actress will love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comic, with quite a few moments of drama..., Oct. 29 2002
Adi Adler (Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 28 Days (Special Edition) (DVD)
The basic story of the movie is as cheesy as they make them: Gwen (Sandra Bullock) loves going out with her boyfriend, having fun, drinking heavily and using other substances. After ruining her sister's wedding, during which she crashes a car into a house, Gwen is sentenced to 28 days in jail - or in rehab. Now try to remember all the cheesy stuff Hollywood had ever taught us about rehab - and that would probably describe the rest of the film.
So why the 5 starts? Because even with all this gooey cheese, the movie does have a few shining moments. One of the issues that isn't obvious in the first watching is how sheltered the addicts are in the clinic, and how tough it is for them to sometimes deal with the outside world as ex - addicts. There's a scene where a mother has to face her 2 kids in 'family sessions', and she is torn between being their mother who wants to encourage them to speak, and having to deal with her feelings about what they say. Gwen also has a tough decision when she gets back home - whether to rejoin her boyfriend and her old crowd. On another occasion, Eddie, a big baseball star, is glad to have a few minutes' reminder of his previous fame and glory by giving a couple of kids who recognized him an autograph, but is uncomfortable when they ask him where his car is (having arrived in a bus with 'Rehab Center' written all over it). Their dad tries to resolve the situation by shoo - ing them into the car, but causes Eddie even further embarresment...
Overall, this movie is reccomended to people who like Sandra Bullok and the light comedies she usually performs in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like every Bullock film, you'll enjoy it, May 4 2002
btnagle (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 28 Days (Special Edition) (DVD)
Most of the time, when I go see a Sandra Bullock movie, I say to myself, "I can't believe I'm going to see this." But, the fact is, she's an awesome actress. She makes any movie she's in worth seeing. Examples-- I visit my mother for the holidays a few years ago and she wants to see Miss Congeniality and it turns out I liked it a lot. Go to a friend's house and she wants to watch Hope Floats on TV and I end up glued to the screen. Put any other actress in movies like these and I probably don't like them. 28 Days is no different. I never thought Bullock would be believable as an addict but she portrayed the desperation and regrets of an addict and the struggle an addict faces for hope beautifully. Plus, the supporting characters in the movie were great. Just like every Bullock movie, there's a scene that seems a bit over-stated or goes beyond believability (who would put up with the way Bullock was acting at the wedding?) but I guess they have to do that to quickly advance the plot of the movie. This isn't an academy award winning type of movie but it's entertaining and you get a glimpse into addiction. I thought it was a very special movie but I'm sure most people who see this would end up feeling entertained.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better on DVD than the Theatre, April 2 2002
This review is from: 28 Days (Special Edition) (DVD)
This movie did not find a large audience in the theaters due to the fact that is a tough sell. The story focuses on Gwen (Sandra Bullock) an alcoholic journalist who wrecks a limousine at her sisters wedding and is sentenced to 28 days in a rehab center where she meets a wide variety of people. One might ask themselves, where is the fun in that? However in the hands of director Betty Thomas (Dr. Dolittle) a wonderful quirky comedy/drama is created. When people are uncomfortable and vulnerable it is a human tendency to deflect those feelings with humor. That is what we see here, a wide variety of people who need help with a multitude of problems. Each person uses humor in a different way to cope with what is going on in his or her lives. However, Thomas is careful not to go overboard, and she adds plenty of emotional scenes to balance out the movie. This is after all about rehab and the seriousness of addiction, and Thomas never trivializes the subject. In fact she, along with most of the cast, spent time at an actual rehab center in order to portray the experience as accurately as possible. By walking that fine line between comedy and drama, Thomas has created a group of people that you genuinely care about without pitying. In today's cynical world, that is quite a feat
...

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay look at drug and alcohol addiction, March 18 2002
Matthew Horner (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 28 Days (Special Edition) (DVD)
The previews, at least the theatrical ones, for 28 Days are misleading. They put the emphasis on its comedic moments. The movie is actually a drama, a cautionary tale about the toll substance abuse has on one young woman. Because the character is rescued before she hits bottom or does anything she will forever regret, the humor has its place here.
Sandra Bullock is Gwen Cummings, a writer who loves to party. She lives with an Englishman named Jasper [Dominic West], who makes the perfect playmate. They drink, they go out to dinner, they drink some more, they go dancing, they go home and drink even more. When they can remember, they pop a few pills to make things even merrier. One night they light some candles to enhance a lovemaking session. In the process they nearly burn their apartment down. Things come to a head when they arrive late and higher than kites at her older sister's wedding. Gwen ruins the special day, then commandeers a limo, wrecks it and winds up in jail. The judge gives her a suspended sentence but orders her to go to a rehab center. Typical of an addict, Gwen minimizes the extent of her problem. She does not think she needs to be in the center because she believes she can give up her habit on her own. She is in for some surprises, not all of them pleasant.
I will admit that Ms. Bullock is not one of my favorite actresses. She's fairly lightweight. I've also never seen much chemistry between her and her costars when she's chosen to do romantic roles. She has her good points. Off screen, she is a great businessperson. In a movie like 28 Days, she is not afraid to be seen looking unglamorous, and this does lend credibility to her performance. She is also wise enough not to try to dominate a picture.
There are two fine supporting actresses. Elizabeth Perkins is convincing as Gwen's sister, who has spent a lifetime rescuing Gwen and is sick of it. Azura Skye is touching as Gwen's young roommate, Andrea, whose problems are quite serious.
The depiction of a rehab center here is a very Hollywood vision. Most of the patients are stereotypes of what addicts are like. Still, 28 Days is a likable movie, and it does provide a message. For more accurate portrayals of drug and alcohol addiction, I would recommend Postcards From the Edge and Girl, Interrupted. Two of the finest films on the subject are much older - The Lost Weekend [1948] and The Days of Wine and Roses [1962].

5.0 out of 5 stars Been There, Identify with That, Oct. 9 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: 28 Days (VHS Tape)
I have read a lot of negative reviews of this film and the one thing I can say is that I doubt if any of the people who wrote those reviews have ever been addicted or in rehab.
I first saw 28 Days when I was doing my own stint in a mental institution/rehab. I had attempted suicide and was struggling with chemical and sex addiction, as well as compulsive self mutilation (cutting).
The movie really spoke to me, and I have news for you, director Betty Thomas' use of humor was right on the mark. People in rehab do make use of humor, sometimes its the only thing that keeps you sane.
I also found that sharing this film with friends and family who are trying to understand what I am going through is an effective tool, because it allows them to be detached and just observe whats going on.
I think this is one of Sandra Bullock's best films. I also think that as time passes this film will garner more and more critical approval and a huge cult following of addicts and non-addicts alike.

28 Days (Special Edition)
28 Days (Special Edition) by Betty Thomas (DVD - 2000)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 5.00