5.0 out of 5 stars Dark masterpiece
Ah, Marillion's first album! It's been over 20 years since this record came out, and it hasn't lost any of its musical greatness. The band, originally formed as an instrumental group but later adding singer/lyricist/stage personality Fish, rounded a fine group of pieces for their first outing (other than the Market Square Heroes stand alone single released a few months...
Published on Jan. 8 2004 by Rodrigo Llamozas

3.0 out of 5 stars greats songs but poor drumming
Published on June 19 2003 by Bret

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, March 3 2003
On first listening it may sound rough and unfocused . BUT , when you acquired its taste , it is an EXCELLENT collage of pieces .
surprising how anytime you listen you discover new layers and corners .
Marillion was always suspected to imitate Genesis ( they are aware and strongly deny ) But it is unimportant . the originality , authenticity and unnique , different taste makes this a perfect piece .
The guitar , keyb's and singing is impeccable .
there is a strong sense of POWER , despite the somewhat melancholic tunes .
It is a real charmer , and an eternal record .

3.0 out of 5 stars greats songs but poor drumming, June 19 2003
Bret "Bret" (Nairne, South Australia) - See all my reviews
As a bass player I am probably more sensitive to this than others but the drumming on this album is really very amateurish. I am a fan of both pre and post Fish Marrilion and really feel that this album could have ranked alongside any of their other classics but the drumming distracts my ear to the point that I play this album rarely, A great pity because as a lot of other reviewers have said there are some great Fish lyrics and Rothery Guitar. Also for a first effort the songwritting is of a high standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, May 17 2002
Thomas Paine "Tom" (Elmhurst, Il United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this album the day it was released in London back in '83. I was eagerly awaiting this LP after the wonderful singles that set the stage and I couldn't have been any more overwhelmed upon hearing their maiden voyage in full length form.
The lyrics and vocals of Fish are incredible and the music is magical. And the great thing is that this album, along with the next 3, still stand the test of time.
They are all, as Fish would say, "brilliant".

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid debut, Nov. 9 2002
M. Fonseca "carmarthen" (Thunder) - See all my reviews
Some people say this is the best Marillion album. I disagree. For me, MISPLACED CHILDHOOD fills this position.
In SCRIPT FOR A JESTER`S TEARS, Marillion still sounded too much like GENESIS for my taste, but it was obvious since the star that the guys had something special, mainly their singer, Fish (Derek William Dick). This guys sing with passion and it does not sound a fake passion.
The tunes are all regular and keyboard driven.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest albums of all time!, Feb. 9 2003
Marillion begun with Script for a Jesters Tear, a very moving album that any desperate, lonely, heart broken young man can relate too. This one packs a punch! Fish is a great singer and anyone who loves real music will need to own this album. The double cd is great with an extra cd of b sides and alternative versions of songs, plus a huge ooklt full of pictures and stories. Marilion are one of my favorite bands of all time!

4.0 out of 5 stars I am still listening, Sept. 8 2002
GEORGE (Qc, Canada) - See all my reviews
This album came to the surface with song "He knows you know" on the radio. Too bad they did not play the other ones.
Best guitar I ever heard on the song "The web". "Forgotten sons" guitar at the end is pretty good too.
Lyrics are great and expressed the discomfort of soul. I guess I am not the only one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bestseller., Nov. 5 2013
One of the best albuns ever. One transcendent trip through Marillion's creativity.
Worthy to have it. Historical moments that a Marillion's fans must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic..., April 20 2013
Luc Durocher (Québec) - See all my reviews
Thanks again for the great price and service, guys. Everything was on time and in perfect order. Everything was first class!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected .., Feb. 14 2003
This is the re-mastered edition of "The Script for a Jesters
Tears". I purchased this CD because I lost my original one
in a house-fire. Unfortunately, the "alternate versions" of
the Tracks offered are rather disappointing and fall short of
the true 'Heavy Metal' style which characterised the original
release.
I especially am disapointed with "Market Square Heroes" (both
versions on this disc) which takes out the feeling Fish had put
in the original release. If you can find it, get the original
CD and not the new remaster one. The Tracks on the FIRST CD are
all the original ones. But the ones on the SECOND CD are rather
disapointing. It would be better to buy "B-Sides Themselves" for
the original tracks on the second CD. ( If this review has helped you please click on the button!)

Script for a Jester's Tear
Script for a Jester's Tear by Marillion (Audio CD - 2005)