5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Necessity
Published 2 months ago by AJ Mittendorf

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh MY GOD... Don't let your kid's whatch Nestor!
Alright... we all know The Year without a Santa Clause is GREAT, who wouldn't or couldn't love this holiday classic! However, Nestor has got to be one of the most disturbing Christmas children's movies made!
Unless you can afford costly psychotherapy for the youngsters, keep them away from Nestor. I wish I could say that I am joking, but I am not!
Published on Dec 20 2002 by oso

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Necessity, May 9 2014
This review is from: The Year Without a Santa Claus (Full Screen) (DVD)
If you are like me--one of those folks who loves Christmas with all the trimmings including a Nativity set, a recitation of "A Visit from St. Nicholas," a Christmas tree, Christmas candy, Christmas baking, Christmas presents and, above all else, Christmas movies, then you must own this DVD. There is no reason to hem and haw. This is one of the classics and a great one among those! This DVD, in particular, includes, not only the classic, "The Year Without a Santa Claus," but also "Rudolph's Shiny New Year" (in which Canadian actor, Billie Mae Richards reprises her role as the voice of Rudolph), and "Nestor, The Long-Eared Christmas Donkey." I didn't buy my copy from Amazon, but I shall still salute Amazon.ca, and I would have bought it from Amazon had the opportunity been there. All three of these tales are made in the classic stop-action fashion that we all love about Rankin and Bass productions, and all three are charming, heart-warming tales with good-natured, wholesome values that also accompany Christmas time. If you don't have a copy of "The Year Without a Santa Claus" in your seasonal DVD collection, then your collection is simply incomplete.

5.0 out of 5 stars GLad to have found it, Jan. 13 2014
This review is from: The Year Without a Santa Claus (Full Screen) (DVD)
This was a nostalgic purchase as we had enjoyed this movie as children and we were not disappointed. Very convenient that we could search for nostalgic shows online for purchases!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal!, Aug. 23 2013
This was a great deal for a Christmas classic. It was a gift for my boyfriend. We watch it every Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality!, Jan. 15 2013
This was the original version that I remembered from years ago. My kids loved it and the quality was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite christmas show., Dec 24 2012
Blake Grealy - See all my reviews
how can you not love these old stop motion shows...rudolph ,santa claus is coming to town..... and this one. love snow miser,makes me laugh everytime. all time classic entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nestor, Feb. 13 2004
Charlotte M. Lemons "monkey" (Lakeview, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year Without a Santa Claus (Full Screen) (DVD)
If you haven't seen this movie, then you haven't experienced a true joy at Christmas. This is a wonderful movie. I own it and can't imagine not letting my children know how truly important little Nestor was to the creation of Christmas and its true meaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Believe I'd Never Heard of this one before!!!, Dec 6 2003
I'm 16. My mother and I were watching a Rankin/Bass Christmas marathon. For years we had known and loved "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Peter Cottontail," and we'd seen a few minutes of "Jack Frost" here and there, but somehow we had let "The Year Without a Santa Claus" get passed up. Luckily we saw it this year and were thoroughly delighted; it's now among our favorites. This story was totally charming. Right from the beginning, those two dumb elves were funny. Mrs. Claus was awesome...I recognized the voice of "Hazel" the maid! I ALWAYS knew Vixen was a female reindeer...the only one on Santa's team, I might add. And Vixen is a central figure in this movie. She's adorable. A feminist Christmas special?! COOL! Santa and the elves travel to a hot southern town in Dixie that never gets any snow. Santa helps a non-believing but still very good little boy change his mind and believe in him (even though the boy doesn't know it's him!)
Okay, okay, so I'm going to say what everyone else already said and knows: The best part of this, the show-stealing scenes, were those with Snowmiser and Heatmiser. The two constantly bickering brothers who seem kind of villanous but are actually pretty nice. (They seriously reminded me of my own brothers.) Their songs are SO catchy, they had my mom literally up and singing them while dancing up a storm. (This was, mind you, the first time we'd ever seen this!) Soo...there you go. The children singing "Blue Christmas" to get Santa to come back to the job was a tender moment. And of course, the Mother Nature scene rocked the house. Again, we see a female taking the screen, and in her cute little house with a nice green lawn and rainbow too. Unlike some of the other stories in this 'family' of videos, this one doesn't-as someone pointed out-center on the historical meaning of Christmas. But it still gets its point across and manages to be a touching, enjoyable treat for all. And then there's the question, does it touch upon goddess-worshipping neo-paganism? Well, all I have to say is that never occured to me...but if it does...then ROCK ON RANKIN/BASS!! Or..well..you know what I mean. Keep being watched faithfully by fans each year. And the Miser Brothers can rock on, too. Ya gotta love it when Mother Nature starts talking about her two sons and they go calling her "Mother dear." She tells Mrs. Claus: "They gave you a hard time?" And Mrs. Claus says, "Yes, but I'm sure they didn't mean to..." And Mother Nature tells her honestly, "Oh, yes they did!" Great stuff. Great, great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Awesome Christmas Cartoon, Dec 2 2003
The Year Without A Santa Claus is the most awesome Chirstmas show of all time. I have loved this one since I was a child myself. I was always disappointed that they didn't show it more often. Now that I have it on DVD I can watch it anytime I want and do. I love all the songs in the movie from the Heat Miser and Snow Miser songs to Blue Christmas although I absolutely love the I Believe in Santa Claus song and can't believe that someone hasn't recorded it on their Christmas CD. My family thinks I am crazy since I know every word of this show. I can recite it word for word and always do when watching it. It is totaly awesome. I give this show 5 stars. Everyone should see this show. It is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Wonderful Reasons to buy this DVD, Sept. 27 2003
D. Earp (Wyoming, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year Without a Santa Claus (Full Screen) (DVD)
Wow, 3 Rankin/Bass specials on 1 DVD, and they are such great stories individually.
The First is "The Year Without a Santa Claus", when Santa gets the blues over humans attitudes towards Christmas. Narrated by Mrs Claus, it includes as usual a great soundtrack and excellent characters. Most fans loving the best, Heat Miser and Snow Miser. Jingle and Jangle, two of Santa's elves are pretty cute also.
The Second is "Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey", which I think is the most touching movie of the R/B collection. It is a re-telling of the birth of Christ with a sweet twist. It brings tears every watching. If you haven't seen this, it is a must. Wonderful inclusion on this DVD, especially if you want a break from the commercialism of Christmas.
And Thirdly "Rudolph's Shiny New Year", which tells the story of time, our calender year. Rudolph is asked to help Father time, when Baby New Year Dissapears. This is a must have to keep your R/B appetite filled. When Christmas is over, and you have watched all your favourite R/B Christmas specials......oh no.......but wait, there's one more to keep you entertained!
This DVD is definitely coming out at my house this Season, and everyone there-after.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE these classics. And they me., May 30 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Year Without a Santa Claus (Full Screen) (DVD)
Try this: walk into a public space singing "Nestor, Nestor, The Long-eared Donkey/He's a friend at Christmas for all the World To see" and I bet you that by the time you are at the "world to see" part the whole group of what-were-strangers is clapping and whirling. Let alone singing along! To me, these DVDs are about these things: happy, whirling happiness; love among long-departed friends; having fun. Watch these DVDs. Watch them in slow motion (if you must.) Sing along. Spray the words out. That is Christmas. For me. And for you.

The Year Without a Santa Claus (Full Screen)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 14.99