5.0 out of 5 stars This album is excellent!
Published on June 24 2002 by zhopa3

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, so long as you avoid comparing it to other albums...
Published on Jan. 17 2002 by aether8m

2.0 out of 5 stars What the . . . . ?!?!?, May 29 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Fragments of Freedom (Audio CD)
Ok, the first two albums were great. Infact, they were better than great, they were greater-er (uh, yeah). Then came this album. Since then, I am afraid to waste my hard earned money on following releases. This album basically sucks (minus the short track featuring good ol' biz). It's like going to a disco on prozac and speed. They were doing great, and then the artistic momentum that they had created all of a sudden stopped. Don't take my word for it, look at the average # of stars it got compaired to previous albums. Simply put, this album bombed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as some people might think, Jan. 4 2004
Erica Anderson (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fragments of Freedom (Audio CD)
I was perusing my enormous cd collection over the holiday weekend and came across Morcheeba's "Fragments of Freedom" cd. I haven't listened to it in a couple of years. "Fragments of Freedom" is the only Morcheeba cd that I own so I can't compare it to the group's other albums. I honestly didn't think that "Fragments of Freedom" is as bad as a lot of people say that it is. I'm not a big fan of funk music but surprisingly enough I found myself enjoying the group's more funk-laden tracks like "Love is Rare" and "Let It Go". "Fragments of Freedom" is by far not perfect because the way that the songs flow together which is a bit on the choppy side. I mean the first two tracks are gorgeous your traditional icy trip hop songs and then the next two are '70s funk-laden tracks. The fifth track is a dancehall/reggae-influenced track. I thought the various sounds made the album. Overall the sound on the album was uneven. Nevertheless I did like all of the songs despite the fact that they made the album sound very uneven.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the Morceeba I knew..., March 18 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Fragments of Freedom (Audio CD)
This should not be taken as an in-depth review of the album, and perhaps I am being unfairly biased. However, I purchased this album expecting the signature trip-hop down-tempo Morceeba sound that they have been crafting for the past few years, and this album deviates quite a bit from that. Just a warning to those wanting a first glimpse of Morceeba or an extension of what they used to sound like -- this album is not representative of their other work. And personally, I much prefer Morceeba's older offerings, such as Big Calm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Less spice, more sugar, still good, Jan. 30 2003
sundaygirl (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fragments of Freedom (Audio CD)
Yes, it's not "Big Calm," which was flawless, but you can hardly expect artists to repeat themselves blindly. Anyway, I expect that sort of a move would have drawn even more critical fire. "Fragments of Freedom" is a well-done album, perhaps less soulful than "Big Calm" but still thoughtful and fluid, less jazz and more pop -- different, but not necessarily bad. It sounds as if everyone had a good time working on this album. "Rome" is my favorite; it sounds like Skye sang it with a smile. Fans of Morcheeba would enjoy "Fragments" as long as they doesn't expect a rigid repeat of what came before. Remember: if you support them, that means they'll have the opportunity to make the next thing even better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good CD, Jan. 7 2003
This review is from: Fragments of Freedom (Audio CD)
The elements in this Morcheeba CD are funk oriented. The hits remind one of a 1970s roller disco where the girls wear the shorts, t-shirts and knee-high socks roller skating. Skye's voice is strong and soulful as she sings the lyrics to the song, "Good Girl Down". Then again she has a strong and soulful voice. This is worth my money and an added collection of Morcheeba CDs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let me think..., Sept. 26 2002
Devin DiMattia "dimattiafilms.com" (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fragments of Freedom (Audio CD)
Hmmm...maybe nobody else thought of this, but don't you think that maybe Morcheeba is PURPOSELY TRYING to be corny? I mean, you can't write a song like "Rome Wasn't Built in a Day" and not smirk to yourself. No, I have never heard their music before, but I really liked "Rome..." on an internet radio station and I found the album (plus a bonus disc) at a used CD store. So, I figured, why not? Well, songs like "World Looking In" and "A Well Deserved Break" are refreshing as well as the hip hop tracks "Love Sweet Love" and "In the Hands of the Gods". A lot of the material also sounds like something Macy Gray would sing. I also believe that the truly awesome "Shallow End" is a tune Jamiroquai would kill to get their hands on. True, I probably picked a CD that sounds nothing like their other work, but, hey, at least I'm interested in hearing more of their stuff. "Charango", here I come.
(The bonus disc almost completely makes up for any low points "Fragments..." might have. The first track is an excellent remix of "In the Hands of the Gods", the next being the Frogmarched mix of the title track, but they've saved the best for last: Morcheeba's own twist on the oldies fav "Crystal Blue Persuasion"! If you're able to find "Fragments..." with this bonus disc, get it!!"

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is excellent!, June 24 2002
"zhopa3" ((not quite sure where I am)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fragments of Freedom (Audio CD)
It is really hard to understand why this album is getting some negative reviews when everybody seems to love "Big Calm". I just bought both CDs - "Big Calm" and "Fragments of Freedom" and listened to them back to back. "Fragments of Freedom" is absolutely perfect and logical continuation of the "Big Calm". The difference is only in the mood! Yes, "Framgents of Freedom" is light, playful, and fun - but why shouldn't it be? Are you in the same mood all the time? It's really weird that people get frustrated when the group does something (slightly!) different instead of repeating itself... This album is excellent - I loved every single song!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, so long as you avoid comparing it to other albums..., Jan. 17 2002
This review is from: Fragments of Freedom (Audio CD)
Overall, a decent album, in my opinion...quite a descent from the profound and fluid sounds they've produced in Big Calm, and certainly far from anything memorable...but decent nonetheless. I certainly don't loathe it to the same extent some of the other reviewers seem to, but I must admit that when put in a rotation with Portishead, Crustation, Massive Attack, et al it almost begs me to dive for the "Skip Disk" button on my CD changer.
On the other hand, it does make for background music/white noise, especially when you don't want to be distracted by entrancing vocals and thoughtful lyrics...neither of which it has.

5.0 out of 5 stars You are all crazy., Jan. 12 2002
CoryRay (The Twin Cities, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fragments of Freedom (Audio CD)
I can't stand reading all these negative reviews of this album! First of all, I just got into Morcheeba within the last couple months. I have no idea why it took me so long, but I am SO glad I finally did. I started with Big Calm because everyone said that was the best. I loved it instantly. Every song was catchy. BUT - everyone had said it was an ultra-chillout album, in sort've a trip-hop vein. That's ridiculous. It's a catchy, mostly upbeat album. Which is great - I was just mislead by reviews. So, loving Big Calm, I thought I'd check out Fragments of Freedom, even though it got such horrible reviews. My expectations were low, but upon first listen, I fell absolutely in love with it. I don't know what is wrong with you guys! It's one of the catchiest and most fun albums I've ever heard. EVERY song on it is great (except for the 1 1/2 minute-long Biz Markie song). Many people have said that Fragments is such a huge departure for Morcheeba. Let me just say that they're nuts. After Fragments I bought Who Can You Trust?, and the change in styles was a hundred times more drastic between that (their first) and Big Calm (their second). Take the more upbeat songs from Big Calm, and that's what Fragments is like. They did NOT sell out. They did what they do best. Each Morcheeba album gets better and better. I cannot wait til the next one!

Fragments of Freedom
Fragments of Freedom by Morcheeba (Audio CD - 2000)
Click for more info