5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous, July 20 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
I was hoping for the Salamunovich and the Los Angeles Master Chorale recording of these works for Christmas, and I am infinitely grateful to my mother for buying me this one instead. The Nordic Chamber Choir is perfect in its balance, tone, interpretation, sound. Although sopranos usually cover up the other parts, these are not overbearing, and most importantly, are never shrill, squawky, or ugly. The altos are strong, and as a fellow alto (this part is rarely heard on recordings) it makes me giddy. The emotion and beauty of Lauridsen's work is gorgeously enhanced by Nicol Matt's and the choir's incredible performance of some of the most amazing music the world has ever heard. Ove Lass, il Bel Viso gets into my blood and makes my neck prickle every time I hear it. Les Chansons des Roses are so different from each other, but still unified. Contre Qui, rose is just so beautiful and melancholy it can move me to tears, and De ton reve trop plein is so full of energy and drive and alternating dark and light sounds it gives me goosebumps. Of course, these are just the standouts for me. Every track is so very wonderful, I don't have enough words. I'd give just about anything to be part of this choir. I give this recording ten stars out of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply Intelligent Interpretation, Nov. 28 2000
Paul Crabtree (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
Even from a casual listening it is obvious that Nicol Matt has an impressive grasp on this music and can communicate that understanding to his receptive young singers. The rich and fresh simplicity he evokes from the ranks of the Nordic Chamber Choir perfectly matches the crafted understatement of Lauridsen's scores.
The Rose Chansons are suitably deft and delicate, the Fire Madrigals are stunning in their passion. The O Magnum Mysterium, here in the arrangement for organ rather than for full orchestra, propels itself without dragging and without self-indulgence.
I was struck most by the choir's intelligence. The Singers and the conductor share an obvious connection with this music (the composer worked with the choir for the recording) that causes it to shine. I recommend the recording without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnum Mysterium...It's complexity in its simplest form., Jan. 10 2002
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
When I began working with my College choir on "Oh Magnum Mysterium" this past year I was dissapointed. I had done the Victoria setting of the text a few years prior and was saddened that I would have to leave it behind for a different version. Then my choir sight read the piece. Needless to say my foot jumped directly into my mouth.
Lauridson is an amazing composer. I have had the privaledge of singing not only "Oh Magnum Mysterium" but also, "Dirait On" and, "La Rose Complete", all of which are stunning in how their tonal simplicity is so darn complex. I only hope that I will have the opportunity to do more of his works in the future.
Those of you who enjoy Lauriden might also check out works by Rene Clausen and "Song" by Karel Husa.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing sounds, Nov. 28 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
even if some of the pieces for mixed choir a capella (the lux aeterna with big organ) by the L.A. composer Morten Lauridsen, like taken out from a hollywood movie, it's amazing what a well known composer of the US and a young professional choir of international singers (so the booklet says) can do magic with the ear of the listener. amazing sounds, you will listen many times to... even for not classic-fans a really good record, because of the good relation of more quiet, spiritual songs and the popular ones, like the "magnum mysterium" which's got nearly every bigger choir in the world in its repertoire. for me, as a musician, it's one of the best choir-recordings ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant choral performance, Nov. 30 2000
Hanno Kreft (Dortmund, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
It was a big pleasure for me to here the young Nordic Chamber Choir. It is such a brilliant choir with a good choir-sound. On the CD "O magnum Mysterium" you can here enthusiasm of the singer. I have never heard a choir like this with such a good deepness and a clearly highness of the sopranos. The next point is the very good pronunciation of the choir in the different pieces of the Madirgals or the Chansons des roses or in o magnum mysterium. The pieces of Morten Lauridsen are wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A musical masterpiece, Dec 29 2000
Bernd Waldmann (Salzgitter, Deutschland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
This CD has become one of my absolute favourites during the past few weeks that I own it. It reveals Lauridson's variety in composing ranging from the Madrigali to the 'title song' O Magnum Mysterium, closing a stylistic circle in pure delight. The Northern Chamber Choir impressively reveals the treasures of this music, guiding the listener on his journey between dynamic passages and radiance, like a perfectly matched tool (or instrument) of the composer. What else to say? I'm deeply impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexcelled Lauridsen recording!, Nov. 30 2000
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
Nicol Matt's reaching interpretation strikes the quintessence of Lauridsen's brilliant musical thoughts. This recording features a vivid, crystal clear sound, an outstanding choir and conductor achievement and points out the boundless possibilities of this young professional voices the Nodic Chamber Choir constists of.
This recording is essential for every well-assorted music collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexcelled Lauridsen recording!, Nov. 30 2000
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
This recording is essential for every well-assorted music collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, Dec 13 2001
Dete Meserve (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
If you're looking for the best recording of Lauridsen's choral music, this one is the best, by far. There is a quiet beauty and restraint in the Nordic Chamber Choir's performance that resonates long after the performance is over. I have other recordings of Lauridsen's music but none of them have the tuly magical effect of this recording.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exiting Young European Choir, Nov. 30 2000
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
The Nordic Chamber Choir is a very exiting young European ensemble with a great future. Their latest recording with works by Morten Lauridsen et al. is pure delight and a wellcome recommendation of Lauridson's opus in Europe. I heared the CD and the choir live in concert and was impressed.

O Magnum Mysterium
O Magnum Mysterium by Lauridsen (Audio CD - 2000)