5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly beautiful, Jan. 17 2003
David M. Thompson (Simsbury, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
I was not familiar with Mr. Lauridsen but purchased this CD as I like to collect various interpretations of O Magnum. This is quite simply some of the most beautiful choral music I have ever heard. This is a must for any serious collector of choral music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnum Mysterium...It's complexity in its simplest form., Jan. 10 2002
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
When I began working with my College choir on "Oh Magnum Mysterium" this past year I was dissapointed. I had done the Victoria setting of the text a few years prior and was saddened that I would have to leave it behind for a different version. Then my choir sight read the piece. Needless to say my foot jumped directly into my mouth.
Lauridson is an amazing composer. I have had the privaledge of singing not only "Oh Magnum Mysterium" but also, "Dirait On" and, "La Rose Complete", all of which are stunning in how their tonal simplicity is so darn complex. I only hope that I will have the opportunity to do more of his works in the future.
Those of you who enjoy Lauriden might also check out works by Rene Clausen and "Song" by Karel Husa.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, Dec 14 2001
Dete Meserve (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
If you're looking for the best recording of Lauridsen's choral music, this one is the best, by far. There is a quiet beauty and restraint in the Nordic Chamber Choir's performance that resonates long after the performance is over. I have other recordings of Lauridsen's music but none of them have the tuly magical effect of this recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing CD....dont wait to buy it!!!, Nov. 27 2001
Mark T Hansen (Pullman, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
I had the chance to work with Dr. Lauridsen when he came for the New Music Festival at Washington State University. The passon this man has for his music is amazing. This CD should be a part of every music lover's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous, July 20 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
I was hoping for the Salamunovich and the Los Angeles Master Chorale recording of these works for Christmas, and I am infinitely grateful to my mother for buying me this one instead. The Nordic Chamber Choir is perfect in its balance, tone, interpretation, sound. Although sopranos usually cover up the other parts, these are not overbearing, and most importantly, are never shrill, squawky, or ugly. The altos are strong, and as a fellow alto (this part is rarely heard on recordings) it makes me giddy. The emotion and beauty of Lauridsen's work is gorgeously enhanced by Nicol Matt's and the choir's incredible performance of some of the most amazing music the world has ever heard. Ove Lass, il Bel Viso gets into my blood and makes my neck prickle every time I hear it. Les Chansons des Roses are so different from each other, but still unified. Contre Qui, rose is just so beautiful and melancholy it can move me to tears, and De ton reve trop plein is so full of energy and drive and alternating dark and light sounds it gives me goosebumps. Of course, these are just the standouts for me. Every track is so very wonderful, I don't have enough words. I'd give just about anything to be part of this choir. I give this recording ten stars out of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars A musical masterpiece, Dec 30 2000
Bernd Waldmann (Salzgitter, Deutschland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
This CD has become one of my absolute favourites during the past few weeks that I own it. It reveals Lauridson's variety in composing ranging from the Madrigali to the 'title song' O Magnum Mysterium, closing a stylistic circle in pure delight. The Northern Chamber Choir impressively reveals the treasures of this music, guiding the listener on his journey between dynamic passages and radiance, like a perfectly matched tool (or instrument) of the composer. What else to say? I'm deeply impressed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exiting Young European Choir, Nov. 30 2000
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
The Nordic Chamber Choir is a very exiting young European ensemble with a great future. Their latest recording with works by Morten Lauridsen et al. is pure delight and a wellcome recommendation of Lauridson's opus in Europe. I heared the CD and the choir live in concert and was impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtil und kraftvoll !, Nov. 30 2000
Ulrike Gabriel (Koblenz, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
Die Musik von Morten Lauridsen hat mich zutiefst bewegt; besonders die Madrigali und das O Magnum Mysterium. Beim Nordic Chamber Choir ist die zwischen subtilen ätherischen Klangwolken und kraftvoller Sonorität pendelnde Musik Lauridsens in den besten Händen !

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexcelled Lauridsen recording!, Nov. 30 2000
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
Nicol Matt's reaching interpretation strikes the quintessence of Lauridsen's brilliant musical thoughts. This recording features a vivid, crystal clear sound, an outstanding choir and conductor achievement and points out the boundless possibilities of this young professional voices the Nodic Chamber Choir constists of.
This recording is essential for every well-assorted music collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexcelled Lauridsen recording!, Nov. 30 2000
This review is from: O Magnum Mysterium (Audio CD)
This recording is essential for every well-assorted music collection.

O Magnum Mysterium
O Magnum Mysterium by Lauridsen (Audio CD - 2000)
Click for more info