5.0 out of 5 stars Death? What do y'all know about death?
Platoon is a gritty portrayal of a young man's introduction to war and Vietnam. This is definitely not an uplifting flag-waving film, but what would you expect from Oliver Stone? Very real, and surreal at times, Platoon unveils the tragedy, destruction and dehumanization of war. Sheen does a decent job, but it's Berenger and Dafoe that deserve all of the acting acclaim...
Published on April 21 2004 by James R. Mckinley

3.0 out of 5 stars standing the test of time...?
I was watching Platoon for the umpteenth time the other weekend when my flatmate came into the room and told me that Platoon had been a great movie, but that it had not maintained its status over the course of the last 15+ years. I can see what he means, the concept isn't great, Charlie Sheen's performance isn't particularly commanding, the key Viet Cong village scene is...
Published on March 9 2004 by marty mcfly

1.0 out of 5 stars There was no «innocence» to lose in the first place., Aug. 28 2000
By A Customer
«Loss of innocence?» - There was no «innocence» to lose in the first place! This movie contains the most incredible collection of totally disgusting characters I have ever seen. I had to force myself to watch it all the way to the end, in the hope that, against all probability, I might at last come upon some redeeming feature. In vain: the cheap sentimental platitudes eked out at the very end for the sake of placating what's left of dignity in the viewing public will only deceive the thousands and thousands of gullible suckers who helped this whole thing become a commercial success in the first place. I am not talking about the war and the violence, nor am I talking about whether it was warranted or not. That is just the context, - a context that's been shown much better and much more dramatically hundreds of times before in literary works as well as in movies. I am talking about the way the human characters involved in that context are pictured as reacting to the situation. The utter vulgarity of their language and of their attitudes to one another is clearly the artificial creation of sick minds that feed with relish on that sort of thing: even escaped convicts, if caught in such a tragically serious situation, would have behaved in a more civil way. My impression is that the sinister jokers responsible for this movie (let their names be erased and forever forgotten) must have had their brains stewed in tobacco smoke for a very long time before they could come up with such a totally gratuitous and unreal human monstrosity. Worse still: after reading the many ravingly favorable reviews praising this movie (including those of current high priests of cinematic taste like Roger Ebert and Leonard Maltin), I must say that I cannot but have serious doubts about the sanity of a population that seems to have lost its reflex to vomit even when presented with such patently nauseating garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars An unpleasantly violent movie, March 5 2002
Katie Vento "tipiinc" (miami, florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Platoon (VHS Tape)
I bought this movie for my partner, it is his favorite movie and the original was gnarled by the VCR. I watched a fraction of the movie and found what I saw extremely distasteful. If you find violence towards children and the mentally challenged offensive I recommend that you avoid this movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jack55, June 30 2003
I first saw Platoon in a theater in Waikiki as a member of the 25th ID, which is the same division depicted in the film. A big chunk of the audience also seemed to be from Schofield Barracks. They cheered wildly at some parts, like whenever a charcter refered to "grunts" or killing VC. We were all very young and had no way to know what Vietnam was really like. I enjoyed the move. It's entertaining and well acted, but is very much more of a work of fiction than I at first realised. I came to this opinion after reading the book "Platoon - Bravo Company" by Robert Hemphill. He was Oliver Stone's company commander in Vietnam. His book paints a much more honorable picture of the unit and is much closer to my peace-time impression of the US Army than Stone's criminal/irresponsible characters. Read Hemphill's book and skip this movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, Oct. 2 2003
I had heard so many great things about this movie. When I finally saw it, however, I could not make much of it.
The film has every Vietnam war film cliche in the book. The new recruit, the crazy commander, the rape, the pillaging, the final showdown where most of the character deaths happen...and I found it predictable in a lot of parts. Not to mention the plenty of inaccuracies found through out - the uniforms, the dialogue, the weaponry, the fact William Defoe gets blown away in equipment that should have protected him, then comes back as if he's OK.
There was one point in the movie that I liked. In the final scene, Oliver Stone put himself in the movie playing a Colonel. Then a suicide soldier of the VietCong throws himself into the HQ and blows himself up, killing everyone inside. That gave me some pleasure...

1.0 out of 5 stars Over rated and Untrue, Nov. 8 2003
By A Customer
This is Stone's hollywood view of what occurred in Vietnam. More guilt trips than truth. As a 2 year in-country vet, I believe it is deplorable that he fails to note that the mission itself was an honorable one and so was the performance of the American soldier. He managed to contribute to the stereotype of the Vietnam soldier as a baby killer and drug addict, which is not the truth.This film does not belong in the same catagory as "The Longest Day".

1.0 out of 5 stars Platoon, more like Platoverated., June 13 2004
M. Gibb "thing187" (Auckland New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This film is all bits and pieces and does not come together as a whole. The acting is terrible for the most part and especially bad in the case of the lead "Charlie Sheen". A couple of memorable looking scenes and some shock value plot points got this film splashed on the cover of every magazine and on to the Academy awards. Full Metal Jacket came out roughly the same time and is the far better movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars One-Sided, April 29 2004
Scott Burley (Saratoga, CA) - See all my reviews
Love it or hate it, this is the quintessential Vietnam movie. Personally, I've never understood why. The movie has only one message: War is Hell. So what else is new? I really don't want to spend 2 hours watching it. Perhaps Stone was trying to acheive a level of surreality, but it comes across as unbelievablity.

Platoon
Platoon by oliver stone (DVD)
CDN$ 3.36