summer Learn more snsflyout Pets All-New Kindle boutiques-francophones sports Tools

Format: LP Record|Change

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on December 16, 2013
Everyone whose heard this album knows its straight 5 mics,but when u make it edited.damn.just wrong.It was the mistake in description by supplier.
on April 2, 2004
Let me preface my review by saying that the original Illmatic album (Disc One of this edition) is an undeniable classic, five stars, without a doubt. But as a whole, this 10 Year Anniversary Edition only gets three stars (I really wanted to give it two), and the primary reason is Disc Two.
The bottom line: this is so much LESS than it could have been.
I love remixes, but the four remixes included here...they just don't work. I don't want to hear Illmatic-era lyrics over 2004-radio-rapper beats. The best of the four is the "It Ain't Hard To Tell" remix, which does have a hardcore, yet updated feel to it. Nas spits some different lyrics (perhaps he re-recorded them for this edition), which is cool. The worst is the "One Love" remix; it inexplicably features censored lyrics, which completely ruins the song, especially when they edit words like "nine" and "L's." Come on. What a waste.
Perhaps the biggest problem I have with including these subpar remixes is the fact that there are already some great remixes of these songs THAT WEREN'T INCLUDED! I'm referring to the remixes done back in '94 and '95 when these songs were released as singles. The Q-Tip remix of "The World Is Yours" and the Arsenal Mix of "Life's a B****" are outstanding. "One Love," "It Ain't Hard To Tell," and "Halftime" were all remixed back in the day, and quite well too. I would argue that these remixes make up a large part of the Illmatic mystique, and they should have been included in this celebratory anniversary collection. I mean, why not? OPEN UP THE VAULTS!
Another thought: if you are going to create some new remixes of these songs, why not bring in the original producers to do the job? Get Primo, Extra P, Tip, Pete Rock and Big LES and have them either remix their own songs or let them swap. It would be pretty cool to get those legends to give us an updated version of their classic tracks.
The two new songs on Disc Two (produced by Marley Marl and Extra P) are pretty good, worthy of inclusion here. Although, again, I would have liked to hear something from 10 years ago...weren't there any unreleased tracks that were scrapped when the 10-song Illmatic sequencing was finalized?
My other complaint about this collection is the lack of liner notes. A small thing, perhaps, but when I buy a greatest hits disc, anthology, or anniversary edition, I expect to get liner notes--and I am disappointed when I don't.
It basically all boils down to this: this collection doesn't live up to the greatness of the very album it was created to celebrate. Quite a disappointment.
on October 13, 2000
Positives: Young Nas had a pretty cool flow and a more basic style back in '94. The better tracks on the album are "The World Is Yours", "Memory Lane", & "Represent". Nas does show a lot of potential in this album but I wouldn't call it a classic by any means.
Negatives: I think the album is too basic and old school but I guess a lot of rap from six years ago could be described that way. The CD has only 10 tracks and is 40 minutes long so it's a little short. This album is not very good compared to "I Am", his 3rd album, but I heard this one last of his four. I might have thought more of this album if I'd heard it in '94.
on April 11, 2004
Illmatic was designed to be heard on a CD. Moreover, the recording technology for CDs was pretty good in 1994. Not surprisingly, Illmatic as a recording sounds good. Very good. Is it necessary to remaster the original tapes? Probably not. This strikes me as a way for the record company to make a quick buck. As others have already indicated, there are a lot of great remixes already out there, and none are included on this collection.
Don't waste your money. If you have the original that should be good enough, and if you don't, get it immediately.
on June 5, 2002
I like all of Nas' material, so I bought this because the Source magazine and others said this CD was a classic. Sorry, as much as I like hip hop, no, as much as I LOVE HIP HOP I just wasn't feeling this. Maybe it was just that day.
Lyrically, Nas is always deep and for an MC at that time his content was thoughtful and provoking. I guess it was just the beats I couldn't get into.
I may purchase it again to give a more detailed listen.
on May 20, 2003
ok ok I know most people think this album is a classic but I gotta disagree....Nas has never put out a classic and never will. "God's Son" is clearly his best album but cannot be considered on the same level as "Chronic 2001", "Eminem Show", "Reasonable Doubt", "The Blueprint" or the best album of all time "All Eyez On Me" Nas has ordinary beats with decent lyrics but is totally overrated as an artist....don't get me wrong I like his style on certain tracks but he is not capable of putting a completely solid disc together the whole way through.
on February 28, 2004
I have some respect for this rapper because he has a very distinct rap style and his music has some substance to it.He doesnt just rap about being ghetto or how wealthy he is but raps about empowering his people and real life issues.The music in this album was pretty good and I would recommend this album because I dont really like rap but I enjoyed this one.
on February 14, 2004
this probably would have been a classic if it was longer,this album is entirely too short,but overall a good album,especially knowin that nas was so young when he made this album.tha only problem is nas wasnt living none of tha stuff he was and still is talking about,he was watchin it on tv.nas is a phony,but this is a good album,not classic
on August 5, 2003
This is a lyrically sound CD... Kinda like Liquid Swords.. Except gza actually has beats. Nas has no good beats in this whole album. Actually only two... NY State of Mind and Halftime but the lyrics are good and I like nas so I gave this outting a 3 star. Buy Stillmatic, it is much better and by far his best Cd in my opinion.
on August 8, 2003
I dunno why there is so much praise over this album. Yes, I have listened to it. Countless times. The lyrics are typical Nas lyrics, and I the beats do nothing for me.
Nas Stillmatic in my opinion is way better.