5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Dance for Essential Artist = Essential Classic!
When I seen this compilation of great songs I was apprehensive about buying it because I was afraid the music was going to be a disappointment to me. I noticed in my CD collection that I have most of the maxi-singles of the tracks that are on this album, but the remixes on the maxi-singles can not compete with any of the remixes on this album.
Track Listing:

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Skribble at your party for less than $15, March 2 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: 2000-Essential Dance (Audio CD)
After a long week of work, I had to purchase new music. Well, I settled for a bit of recycled music in the form of remixes. Yes, DJ Skribble, now one of the most famous DJ's, has put together a good number of songs mixed with a combination that will satisfy both the older and the young at any party. Nineteen tracks tied together to keep you dancing all through the night personalized by Mr. Skribble.
The CD starts with an experimental intro by Skribble and then goes right into the tunes. In the beginning he visits a bit of the R&B dance groove, later some old school disco styled dance songs followed by some influences of new school (or underground) freestyle and then ending with pounds of phat electronic sounds. He takes you in a journey from the decadent underground style of zombie nation's punk electronica to club dance, trance music and some classical electronica by none other than William Orbit. Some more familiar artist are featured here like: William Orbit, Moby, Cher, Filter, Vengaboys, Amber & believe it or not Bob Marley and Paula Cole. These remixes are strong in content and full great beats. Other unknown artist that will delight you in the mix are: La Rissa (with a very memorable track called "I do both Jay & Jane"), Zombie Nation (with the bombastic instant rave classic "Kernkraft 400"), Sweet Female Attitude, Fragma and buddy of Skribble, DJ Jurgen.
This may not be the CD you'll listen to on a daily basis. After 2 - 3 listens, I was ready to put it down, but if you want to have a party and no DJ is available, now you can have DJ Skribble do your party for less than $15. This CD gives you the best of both worlds in that you get to sample new artist and get an alternative version (remix) of popular songs. Overnight I'm a fan of Zombie Nation already! Check it out. A must have for dance music lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Dance for Essential Artist = Essential Classic!, Feb. 24 2001
Track Listing:
1.) DJ Skribble >> Intro = This intro is a little cheap intro that has clips to the songs featured on the album.
2.) Sweet Female Attitude >> Flowers = This is a great song and after listening to it, I am convinced to purchase the maxi single. This song is a really sweet love song with a fierce beat, I think you'll be feelin' this track.
3.) Bob Marley vs Funkstar de Luxe >> Sun Is Shining (radio deluxe edit) = Not to hate on Bob Marley, but I am not feelin' this track. To me this track doesn't have potential but you may like it.
4.) DJ Spiller >> Groovejet = I was really disappointed with this track because I have the maxi-single to this track and it actually has lyrics. This version of the song is completely deprived of the lyric that I love so much.
5.) Michael Moog >> That Sound (Extended Vocal Mix) = I have never heard this song in my life and for a first I am actually feelin' this song. This song is pretty good and catchy.
6.) Cher >> Believe (Almighty Definitive Mix) = I liked the original version of this song and this remix totally lives up to this. I heard this exact remix on the radio a few weeks before I purchased this album and was surprised to find on this compilation.
7.) Ultra Nate >> Desire (Club Mix) = This is a great song with a great beat and after hearing this song for the first time on this Album it has convinced me into purchasing the maxi-single.
8.) Amber >> Sexual (Li Da Di) (Thunderpuss 2000 club mix) = This song is one of my all time favorite's and this is a great remix. This is not the Thunderpuss remix that is featured on Ambers Remix Album.
9.) Paula Cole >> I Believe In Love (Jonathan Peter's Edit) = This song features great vocals and lyrics, and at the beginning of the track the beat sounds somewhat oriental.
10.) Olive >> I'm Not In Love = This song and remix is the best! I heard this remix on the radio and searched for it everywhere and I couldn't find it, I even bought the maxi-single and it had every remix but this one.
11.) Filter >> Take A Picture (Club 69 future mix) = I purchased Filter's maxi-single and was extremely disappointed with the remixes, but this one totally makes up for them.
12.) La Rissa >> I Do Both Jay and Jane (Rave Radio Edit) = People have recommended this song to me in the past but I never bothered to listen to it until I got this album and boy was I surprised. I love this song and I must say the meaning of the song is really creative.
13.) Moby >> Bodyrock (Dean Honer Remix) = I have dozens of Moby tracks, I guess I can't get enough of them, another one is always great.
14.) Zombie Nation >> Kernkraft 400 (radio edit) = You have probably heard this song a dozen times like I have and would have never thought it would have been called Kernkraft 400.
15.) ATB >> 9 pm (till I come) (Sequential One 1999 remix) = this remix is great but its missing the vocals or at least the ones I remember.
16.) Vengaboys >> Kiss (When the sun don't shine) (airscape remix) = I have never heard this song before, so I don't know if its supposed to be instrumental, but great beat.
17.) William Orbit >> Barber's Adagio for strings (Ferry Corsten remix) = I have never heard this song before or of this artist, but this track is all good. I just love these instrumental tracks.
18.) Fragma >> Toca's Miracle (Club Mix) = I love this song, but this remix isn't anything you couldn't have found on the maxi-single.
19.) DJ Jurgen >> Higher & Higher (DJ Skribble and Anthony acid remix) = I love this song but after buying the maxi-single and being disappointed with the remixes I thought this song was not remixable. I not only love this song but I think this is one of the best remixes I have ever heard and the best track on this album.
So peeps, if you own or heard of half of this material before than this is a perfect compilation for you, I know it was just perfect for me. Go out and buy this album because it lives up to its title.

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed..., Oct. 2 2000
This review is from: 2000-Essential Dance (Audio CD)
I have to say I was quite disappointed the first time I played this CD. My greatest complaint is that this CD has songs that are more than a year old! It might have been just my perception - but if someone releases a compilation I think they should include the newest club hits (not necessarily radio hits), not something over a year old, that most of us already own! (For example: bob marley, cher, moby, atb...) So I cannot say this was the greatest selection of music to put on this CD. Don't get me wrong - those songs are good, but they would make a good addition to Essential Mix 1999 if there was such a CD. However, everyone has a different taste.
I have never heard DJ Skribble in a club - so I can't comment on his club-mixing abilities. On this CD the transitions between songs are very smooth, and professionally done. However nothing fancy. That is what made me disappointed. Any kid behind turntables could have mixed this CD. The mixing doesn't show any individualistic style - it's just plain commercial mixing of songs together.
I have left the CD in my car, and so I listened to it quite a few times since. It does grow on you, and I can't say that I don't like it - but I wouldn't say it is ESSENTIAL part of my music collection.
If you'd like to share your opinion with me, or recommend me a good compilation - don't hesitate to write me: jaro@ureach.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Why is everyone hating on this CD?, Dec 27 2000
Greg (Bristol, RI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2000-Essential Dance (Audio CD)
I'm so surprised that everyone is dogging DJ Skribble's new CD. It's too bad that everyone in dance circles today is concerned with status and being better than everyone else. That's probably the logic behind not liking this CD. I bet a bunch of people had it in their hands until they saw Cher on the tracklist and said "No way, I don't want a Cher record." Well anyone who thinks they're too good for this CD is really missing out on the best (BEST) dance mix compilation from the United States this year. It has unreleased stuff like that Paula Cole remix and "Flowers" by Sweet Female Attitude, some more underground stuff like Ultra Nate and DJ Spiller, plus the usual from Amber and Zombie Nation. But it's really good. I also like the inclusion of the unreleased "Higher and Higher" remix.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essentially, an essential collection for the 2000 yr., Jan. 24 2001
This review is from: 2000-Essential Dance (Audio CD)
Ok, why is this CD getting such a bad rap? Categorically, this is definitely a Big-Beat album. Which is EXCELLENT if you don't want total techno sounding music nor pop hits galore. It's a great album to put on at any party and will surely please everyone. Skribble takes some of the year's obscure dance hits, "Till i come"-ATB and some overrated/overplayed mainstay hits as well, i.e "Sexual"-Ambre & Cher's "Believe" from last year.
One thing that dissapoints me is that most of the songs are shortened because they're lengthy. Only 2-minutes for ATB's instant classic Till i Come?" Gimme a break! But, i can see why they are shortened--there's 17 tracks here. Don't wait for it to enter the used bins and miss out on the action.For under $20, from a qualified DJ, this is worthwhile.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is Scribble Really a DJ?, April 15 2001
Michelle Rose (Toledo, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2000-Essential Dance (Audio CD)
Okay, so I know that everyone loves Scribble. He's a well known scratcher, and that's great. However,DJing is NOT all scratching. I bought this CD because I had heard it was awesome. I do like most of the songs on it, but I found the flow to be jerky and poorly thought out. I also think this CD is a clear demonstration of DJ Scribble's lack of mixing skills. I got rid of this CD after 2 days. Like I said, the songs are good, but do not flow together in their current order. Also, Scribble can barely mix. I am so glad Pete Tong helped him with his Spring Break Essential. If you want some good Scribble, check that out. That CD has good flow and the mixing is so much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essentially Essential, Feb. 15 2001
"tatum00" (NY, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2000-Essential Dance (Audio CD)
This is great music for exercise or running. The songs may be older but knowing the words make it more fun. Basically, some songs are more addictive than others. Bob Marley's "The Sun is Shining" is a great remix of a classic that makes you want to blow off work, pack it up and head for Jamaica. Olive's "Not in Love" is the best song on the cd. Despite my affection for Essential 2000, I am disappointed with the lack of mixing. DJ Skribble is so talented, I wish he took advantage of his talents and displayed something more risky than a smooth transition between songs. He could have taken an older song like Cher's and really have mixed it up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Essential Nothing, Sept. 16 2000
This review is from: 2000-Essential Dance (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of premier league dj's such as Pete Tong(who normally does the Essential series) Carl Cox, Sasha, Digweed, and Oakenfold. I bought this cd just for the music. Now i have to say, he does have decent tune choice, but his mixing is not like his live mixing. He did this on pro tools. For all of you people who think DJ Skribble is da bomb, think again. Go buy the DJ Icey or the PETE TONG ESSENTIAL SELECTIONS for a better idea of what dance music is all about. (p.s. when are you going to learn how to mix songs the right way skribble?)2 stars for the Tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS CD!!!!!!!!, April 26 2001
This review is from: 2000-Essential Dance (Audio CD)
I've gotten so many people asking me where I got this CD from, asking me to burn it for them. Everyone seems to think it's the sweetest. I can listen to this Cd over and over again, and probably won't get sick of it... actually I do since everyone at work keeps on requesting it ;) I do recommend this Cd to anyone who loves Dance... the first couple tracks are okay... but once the Cd keeps going.. you will.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Zombie Nation errors, March 12 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: 2000-Essential Dance (Audio CD)
for some people's information, the GROUP is KernKraft 400. The SONG is Zombie Nation... if you lsiten closely to the original (I'm not sure if you can hear it in the remix) you can hear ... zombie... zombie... zombie... zombie nation... over and over again. It might sound something like "Tumbenation". Anyway the CD is ok not a big fan of dance music just of some of the artists on this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2000-Essential Dance
2000-Essential Dance by DJ Skribble (Audio CD - 2000)