5.0 out of 5 stars But I'm a Cheerleader
a fun movie. Great to see Budd Cort still in movies as well as Mink as Budd's wife Rue is too funny
Published 3 months ago by sonofheaven

1.0 out of 5 stars I am pissed
I was excited to get the DVD and I can't even watch it , it doesn't work in canada I want a refund
Published 10 months ago by Debora

1.0 out of 5 stars I am pissed, Sept. 24 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars could not use this DVD in canada, April 13 2013
i was not able to watch this movie in Canada. the regional code for this movie was for the US. i was not happy with the DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars But I'm a Cheerleader, April 9 2014
This review is from: But I'm a Cheerleader (Widescreen) (DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Humerous Movie About a Topic that is Often Taken Too Seriously!, June 6 2013
This movie explores the idea that you can be "converted" from gay to straight. The notion that this is possible still exists in the world. This movie shows an insider's perspectives about the awareness that one is gay, as well as the coming out process, shame, and acceptance. The location of the film is at a conversion camp, and the humor in this movie shows how ridiculous the idea of conversion camps are! This movie focuses on a female main character, but also shows the gay male perspective as well. The ending of the movie is liberating and empowering, yet maintains humor throughout the movie. A definite must see in any LGBTQ courses, or for those interested in LGBTQ issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars yup, Jan. 23 2013
Bon film, j'avais tout simplement oublié de regarder que je n'étais pas dans la bonne zone! DVD en bon état et dans les dates !

4.0 out of 5 stars Good times for everyone, June 8 2004
"ajlingo" (Minneapolis MN) - See all my reviews
This movie is one of the best gay movies I've seen in the last few years. Yep, it includes just about every gay sterotype there is (the softball player, the goth girl, the boarding school girl, the social outcast, the actor/dance/singer, the retail worker, etc.), but underneath it all there is the underlying message of acceptance and the pride in the fact that you are who you are, and you have to learn to embrace it. Cathy Moriarty makes a great turn as the head of a program to "cure" teens of their homosexuality, without realizing that her own son is dancing to showtunes while mowing the lawn. Natasha Lyonne and Clea DuVall carry the movie wonderfully, and you actually believe the connection between the two of them (as opposed to a lot of other gay film leads). I loved the colors in this movie. I loved the music. Whenever I need a laugh, this is one of the movies I turn to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Movie: good for a laugh, Soundtrack: an EXCELLENT listen, Jan. 28 2003
Tiffany (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: But I'm a Cheerleader (Widescreen) (DVD)
My friend and I got this video out as a joke, as it looked light-hearted and funny. It turned out to be a rather dark comedy, which I really enjoyed. Lots of laughs were had at the sake of stereotypes and overall I really enjoyed the movie. However, the REAL drawcard of the movie was the AMAZING soundtrack. I sat & wrote down each & all of the songs after I had watched the video and downloaded them the next day. I have searched all over the net to buy a copy of the soundtrack, with no luck. If you too were hooked by the soundtrack, here is a list of all the songs.Chick habit by "April March", Just like Henry by "Dressy Bessy", If u should try to kiss her by "Dressy Bessy", Together forever in love by "Go Sailor", Ray of sunshine by "Go Sailor", Funnel of love by "Wanda Jackson", Evening in Paris by "Lois" and We're in the city by "Saint Etienne"... Hope you enjoy! =)

3.0 out of 5 stars Likeable, but ultimately disappointing . . ., Nov. 22 2003
I felt this film didn't reach the potential of its concept or its superb cast, although it was enjoyable. The sets and costumes are good, almost carrying the film through an aura of 1950s innocence and hypocrisy. And there were some hilarious scenes (my favourite is the wooden cut-out of the soldier pointing his *ahem* gun at another kneeling in submission).
But most of the humour is based on the same stereotypes that I expected the film to subvert. For most of the movie, there was no attempt to portray the campy gay boys in a thoughtful way. Actually, there was little character development altogether, but most infuriating was this seeming self-contradiction -- the film succumbed to the misconceptions of the homophobic institutions it was also attacking, but without any obvious awareness of this paradox. As a result, I'll admit I didn't find the film very funny or clever.
The best thing about this movie, for me, was the soundtrack. It kicks off with a wonderful kitschy, girly, faux-retro-pop song by April March called "Chick Habit", which is infectious and delicious as sin. There are some gorgeous Go Sailor songs like "Ray of Sunshine" which highlight the cute, first-love factor. And during the love scene (which is one of the best I've seen), "Glass Vase Cello Case" by Tattle Tale provides the most beautiful music for the sweet and pretty cinematography.
I don't think there's a soundtrack available, so maybe this film is worth listening to, at least. Although, just to be shallow, the cast is very aesthetically pleasing so you may as well watch it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable, Heart-Warming, Hilarious, March 4 2011
This movie has *everything*. The actors and actresses did an impeccable job. I first saw this movie online and I realized that I wanted to own it myself. It's not very often that a movie can be serious, funny, and hopeful all in one, but I'm A Cheerleader does just that. I'd recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Gets the Girl in This Cute Comedy, Feb. 7 2011
This review is from: But I'm a Cheerleader (Widescreen) (DVD)
"But I'm A Cheerleader" tells the story of Meghan, who at first glimpse is a model teenager ("I get good grades, I go to church...I'm a cheerleader!"). But Meghan's parents and friends think something is up: she has a picture of a girl in a bikini in her locker, a Melissa Etheridge poster in her bedroom, tends to hug her cheerleading friends a little too much, is a vegetarian, and doesn't enjoy kissing her football player boyfriend. So to Meghan's indignation, she is sent to True Directions, a camp with a four-week program designed to turn any young gay or lesbian who has "gone astray" back on to the straight path. The misadventures that follow bring Meghan to a point of self-discovery. Inevitably, like in any good coming-of-age story, the characters must decide whether to do what is expected of them, or to be true to themselves and do what is right for them.

First off, it must be said that the humour in the film DOES rely heavily on the stereotypes that it appears to deconstruct; there's the typical "butch" lesbian, the goth girl, and the musical theatre-loving gay guy. But it's a SATIRICAL comedy, so that's kind of the point! It is amusing all the same, and the movie ultimately has a good message of loving yourself for who you are.

The casting is excellent; Natasha Lyonne and Clea Duvall are very convincing as a lesbian couple, and the supporting cast, including Cathy Moriarty, is great as well. The soundtrack is fun and upbeat.

The copy I ordered from Amazon was delivered promptly. The ONLY thing I would point out is with the particular seller I bought from, they only bubble-wrapped one side of the DVD, and hence when it arrived one side of the movie case was slightly bent. The disc still played perfectly, and this is the first time I've ever received a DVD like that from Amazon (and I've ordered a lot of DVDs from Amazon!), but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Overall, I would recommend this movie to anyone looking for a cute, romantic, feel-good kind of movie!

But I'm a Cheerleader (Widescreen)
But I'm a Cheerleader (Widescreen) by Jamie Babbit (DVD - 2000)
CDN$ 84.75