4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent prenatal yoga practice
Published on Nov. 18 2003 by writer73

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay..
Published on July 20 2007 by J. Yates

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent prenatal yoga practice, Nov. 18 2003
"writer73" (Columbia, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
Although I wouldn't call this the perfect prenatal yoga practice, it has some distinct strengths over other prenatal yoga videos I've seen. Visibly pregnant Sue Elkind leads a class of about a dozen women of in all stages of pregnancy through a well-chosen series of yoga poses. One woman demonstrates modifications for the less flexible, but most of the women do the program without modification, even in late pregnancy. The instructor talks through each pose, giving special attention to the balance and posture changes of pregnancy and emphasizing the connections between body and mind and mother and baby-to-be. This constant commentary makes the poses easy to follow even when not watching the screen, but may distract from the meditative quality of yoga practice.
Yoga Mama is most appropriate for women with no or limited yoga experience and no exercise constraints. It may also be helpful for intermediate level women in late stages of pregnancy, for tired days, or as the easy part of a rotation of practices. Advanced yoga students, however might find this video frustratingly basic and prefer to develop a personalized yoga practice using books (try Preparing for Birth With Yoga by Janet Balaskas). Women who need greater modification might want to try the Shiva Rea Prenatal Yoga program instead. Props: sticky mat (or carpet), folded blanket, folded towel (for wrist pain), chair (for modifications)
Personal Experience: I used prenatal yoga videos several times a week in addition to prenatal classes in a yoga studio once or twice a week. Although no video can equal a live class, this one captures some of the spirit of practicing yoga in a room full of pregnant women of all shapes and sizes. For home practice, I could choose between Yoga Mama and Shiva Rea's Prenatal Yoga video. Although Shiva Rea's video is longer and has better production values, I plunked this video in the VCR more than twice as often. I preferred the selection of poses in Yoga Mama (though I wish each pose lasted longer) and I preferred following Yoga Mama's visibly pregnant instructor (skinny Shiva Rea demonstrates first trimester poses with no hint of a belly). In addition, I found it much more motivating to see the whole class perform without modifications in contrast to the extreme modifications in Shiva Rea's program (the third trimester woman does most of the poses seated on a chair). To my surprise, I was able to comfortably and safely perform Yoga Mama without modification up until a few days before delivery. Practicing prenatal yoga helped minimize back pain, leg cramps, and other pregnancy discomforts.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay.., July 20 2007
This review is from: Crunch:Yoga Mama [Import] (DVD)
I didn't exactly dislike this vid.. It's hard to have a very strong opinion either way. The stretches are okay, she explains it simply enough that you could pretty much do it blindfolded. Anyone who does yoga regularly probably wont be too enthused. This is not a workout in any way, it is simply easy stretches strung together. Decent enough if you arnt looking for real yoga.

5.0 out of 5 stars very easy, great for beginnger, April 26 2006
This review is from: Crunch:Yoga Mama [Import] (DVD)
I have been on bed rest off and on throughout my pregnancy and I've lost a lot of my flexibility and strength. I thought that yoga might help me relax a bit and I needed a very basic DVD given the restrictions this pregnancy has placed on me. I've never done yoga before and I"m really pleased with how basic this DVD is. It's much more like stretching, and the modifications to the poses are good. I find the 40 minutes a bit long, and I have to take breaks in order to get through the whole session. The instructor is nice, not too annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite prenatal yoga workout, June 24 2004
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
This is a great tape! I have been doing it for almost my entire pregnancy (I'm in my 8th month) and I love it. It isn't the longest workout (about 40 minutes) and it isn't the most challenging, it is just the most fun and gives you the best feeling. Sue Elkin is awesome and the tape is just great! Get it, you'll love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy workout with lots of stretching, May 27 2004
CanadianMother (Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Crunch:Yoga Mama [Import] (DVD)
I have some experience with yoga and I found this video to be very basic. The poses are very easy and the instructor takes a lot of time to explain each move. Yoga Mama would be a good choice for someone who's never done yoga before.
Since most of the moves are merely for stretching rather than toning, this video isn't very challenging. You won't break a sweat. However, I think that it's a great video for a pregnant woman to do before bedtime because it really stretches out your whole body.
For a well rounded exercise routine during pregancy I would add a video with a cardio workout like FitMama, or perhaps walking or cycling. This video won't give you all the exercise you need, but as I said the stretches are excellent and I'm sure I'll be doing it a lot towards the end of my pregnancy when I start feeling aches in my back and legs.
The instructor is okay--she seems a bit dippy when she giggles but all in all she's not too annoying.

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible video, poor quality, poor instruction, May 3 2004
Alicia Horton (Richardson, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
Crunch is a neat brand, but they missed it with this prego video. The instruction is poor, the set is dull, and the workout is below average.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing and fun, March 1 2004
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
I really like this video. It gives you a gentle workout, not too difficult, but still worthwhile. The instructor and all the other women in the video are pregant and they give you modifications on all the harder stuff. Overall, if you want a 1/2 hour - 45 minutes of gentle yoga with some stretching and a little strength work, this is a great tape for you. It is my favorite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yoga Mama rocks, Jan. 22 2004
Drisana Kane "Drisana Kane" (Framingham, ma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
This is a great video for keeping flexibility during pregnancy. It was very basic but a good relaxing class. I don't feel like it is the only excercise I need to do during the day but it's a great addition to my walking or pilates routine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tape!, Jan. 21 2004
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
I used a prenatal cardio video to stay in shape with my 1st pregnancy and Crunch Yoga Mama for my 2nd. I was SO much less achy and generally felt SO much better from using Yoga Mama. I didn't have any of the leg and foot pain I had the first time around and the relaxing nature of the yoga video was also a BIG plus. I can't recommend this video highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crunch: Yoga Mama is a gem!, Jan. 15 2004
"elliebfit" (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
Yoga Mama is such a wonderful video. It's the winning combination of a warm and intelligent teacher and a gentle flowing yoga routine that makes it so. I initally spotted the video at CRUNCH GYM in Los Angeles and purchased it for one of my mom-to-be friends. She used it and loved it!
As an aside from the pregnancy, the video is a nice gentle yoga class for anyone - with child or not. You can tell that Sue Elkind is a master yogi with great expertise.

Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga