4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent prenatal yoga practice
Published on Nov. 18 2003 by writer73

3.0 out of 5 stars Beginners Style
This is an extremely basic yoga video which would be excellent for anyone who has never done yoga before. As someone who has done yoga pre-pregnancy, I found all of the excercises a little too basic, and after doing the video, I wanted to do some 'real' yoga. The instructor does an excellent job of pointing out differences and modifications that should be made for...
Published on March 14 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent prenatal yoga practice, Nov. 18 2003
"writer73" (Columbia, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
Although I wouldn't call this the perfect prenatal yoga practice, it has some distinct strengths over other prenatal yoga videos I've seen. Visibly pregnant Sue Elkind leads a class of about a dozen women of in all stages of pregnancy through a well-chosen series of yoga poses. One woman demonstrates modifications for the less flexible, but most of the women do the program without modification, even in late pregnancy. The instructor talks through each pose, giving special attention to the balance and posture changes of pregnancy and emphasizing the connections between body and mind and mother and baby-to-be. This constant commentary makes the poses easy to follow even when not watching the screen, but may distract from the meditative quality of yoga practice.
Yoga Mama is most appropriate for women with no or limited yoga experience and no exercise constraints. It may also be helpful for intermediate level women in late stages of pregnancy, for tired days, or as the easy part of a rotation of practices. Advanced yoga students, however might find this video frustratingly basic and prefer to develop a personalized yoga practice using books (try Preparing for Birth With Yoga by Janet Balaskas). Women who need greater modification might want to try the Shiva Rea Prenatal Yoga program instead. Props: sticky mat (or carpet), folded blanket, folded towel (for wrist pain), chair (for modifications)
Personal Experience: I used prenatal yoga videos several times a week in addition to prenatal classes in a yoga studio once or twice a week. Although no video can equal a live class, this one captures some of the spirit of practicing yoga in a room full of pregnant women of all shapes and sizes. For home practice, I could choose between Yoga Mama and Shiva Rea's Prenatal Yoga video. Although Shiva Rea's video is longer and has better production values, I plunked this video in the VCR more than twice as often. I preferred the selection of poses in Yoga Mama (though I wish each pose lasted longer) and I preferred following Yoga Mama's visibly pregnant instructor (skinny Shiva Rea demonstrates first trimester poses with no hint of a belly). In addition, I found it much more motivating to see the whole class perform without modifications in contrast to the extreme modifications in Shiva Rea's program (the third trimester woman does most of the poses seated on a chair). To my surprise, I was able to comfortably and safely perform Yoga Mama without modification up until a few days before delivery. Practicing prenatal yoga helped minimize back pain, leg cramps, and other pregnancy discomforts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this tape, Oct. 4 2003
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
I am one week from my baby girl's due date, and have been using this tape throughout my pregnancy. It has been a life saver for me, especially for lower back and hip pain. I like the instructor's encouraging, light-hearted tone, and seeing all the women in various stages of pregnancy. I've enjoyed yoga for about seven years, and I think this tape is appropriate for beginners through at least intermediate yoga students. They show lots of adaptations for different levels of flexibility and comfort, which helps when I'm feeling sore or just lazy. I will probably keep doing this tape even after our baby arrives.
I also have the Shiva Rea tape, which is pretty good. However, I find myself using Yoga Mama much more often, because it's shorter and generally more inspiring. Doing this tape at least twice a week has really helped me stay active and flexible during pregnancy, and I hope it helps during labor! I've even got this tape packed in my bag in case I'm stuck at the hospital for a long time in early labor.

4.0 out of 5 stars one of the better prenatal yoga videos, Sept. 16 2003
Laura Hamilton "mslaura" (Saratoga CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
I am 20 weeks pregnant and have been doing yoga for about 3 years, although I haven't been doing it since about week 9 of my pregnancy. I wanted to find a good video that would help me get back into my practice, stretch me out, and strengthen my muscles.
I bought Shiva Rea's Prenatal Yoga video and was annoyed by it. Although I am very familiar with common yoga postures, I couldn't understand what I was supposed to be doing from listening to her, and I had to keep looking at the screen to figure out what she was talking about. Then, as soon as I got into the pose, she would quickly shift to something else, so I never got to hold any pose for more than a few seconds. Annoying. She also drones on at the beginning of the video for a few minutes, which is minimally boring when you want to get started the first time, but REALLY boring when you are doing the tape on a regular basis and you have to fast forward through it every time. Lastly, I felt like I got no workout whatsoever from Shiva Rea's tape, and barely a stretch. Maybe if I had been able to hold the poses a little longer than the split second she allowed... The woman in her third trimester hardly did anything at all.
Crunch Mama was MUCH better. I really liked the teacher. She was straightforward, and best of all, she was actually pregnant! She gave a better selection of poses, a bit more challenging, but still very easy, and I hardly had to even look at what she was doing...she was very descriptive when telling us what moves to do next. I liked the variety of pregnant women in her "class". She had women in all different stages, and they were all doing pretty much the same moves, except for one woman who was demonstrating modified moves for women who wanted to take it really slow. My only complaint was that I would have liked to hold the poses a bit longer, especially at the end, when she guided us into a closing relaxation/meditation poses that you normally allow at least 10 minutes for in a typical yoga class...in the video we got about a minute to relax and clear our minds before being told to get back up again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and easy, but not exactly a serious workout, July 31 2003
LadyoftheIvy (Central Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
This video is fairly simple and really not too taxing. It's been great for stretching and relaxing, though I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for something that actually feels like a workout. I always feel relaxed and stretched at the end of it, but don't feel as though I necessarily got much of a workout. However, it's great if you're just having a very low energy day but still want to do something. It would probably also be perfect for someone who never really exercised much before they became pregnant and wanted something to start with.
I honestly prefer my FitMama prenatal workout DVD to this video, but that's simply because I feel like I get more out of it than this. However, I still feel that this is a good video as long as you're not expecting much of a workout from it. It has a nice variety of poses and the instructor is fine. My only annoyance with her is the way she appears to be trying not to laugh when she's explaining kegels, but I think that's just because I'd prefer if she'd just explain it as opposed to trying to save our sensibilities. Other than that one instance, I don't find her to be annoying at all, which is a big plus when it comes to any instructional video or DVD.
So as long as you keep in mind that this isn't exactly a serious workout, I would recommend this. But if you're looking for something that feels like more of a workout, there are other prenatal workout DVDs and videos out there that would probably suit better than this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like exercise videos, April 16 2001
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
I purchased yoga mama at 4 months pregnant, when I was feeling tight and sore. I had heard yoga was great exercise for pregnant women, and thought I would give it a go. I am certain that after this video I will not become a yoga addict. However, that is due more to the fact that I simply had more fun walking outside and going to the gym than exercising along with the tape. [I have gained 30 pounds during my pregnancy, and I am sure I would have put on lots more if I hadn't been so diligent with aerobic exercise]. That said, if you are someone who enjoys work out tapes [and I will be giving them another go when baby comes in a couple of weeks], this is worth the money. The instructor's voice is soothing, the women in the video look "real," the moves are easy, and the length is perfect [about 45 minutes]. Had I been better, I would have supplemented my aerobic exericse with this video more than I did. For the experienced: my friend who practiced yoga before her pregnancy found the moves too easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ease that aching back and breathe easier, Dec 25 2000
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
I should start by saying I'm a beginner and never really did any yoga before now. I started this in my 7th month of pregnancy and I found the tape easy to follow, sometimes even when I am not looking at the TV screen (the head is down and the neck relaxed in several poses). The poses certainly helped me create more room in my midsection so I could breathe easier. They also distributed the weight more evenly along my spine and that helped ease lower back pain. Although this is not an aerobic workout, I felt energized and more clearheaded after doing the tape. The instructor is very friendly. She leads a class of several pregnant women at various stages (from slight belly bulge to just-about-ready-to-pop) and one student shows modifications for those who may not be limber enough to do the poses as shown. There is quiet, soothing background music -- not at all distracting, but just enough to help keep things flowing. I'm really glad I bought this tape. I may hang onto it even after I have the baby!

5.0 out of 5 stars a good stretch, an easy workout and some inspiration, April 14 2003
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
I'm currently in my 19th week and have been using this video for about 6 weeks. I alternate this video with Rocki's Prenatal Yoga. This is the one I pick when I'm feeling less motivated and want a good stretch, an easy workout and some inspiration. I feel good afterwards, both in body and attitude. I'm VERY inspired by the different body types and love seeing the bare bellies on so many of the moms-to-be. I prefer Sue's personality and style to Rocki's, but I feel more "worked out" from Rocki's video.
I only wish this workout was available on DVD: I suffer from insomnia as part of my pregnancy symptoms and I have found the 2nd half or so to be exactly what I need (at 2am) to tune out my stress and relax my body. Also, I am a work at home mom with a toddler and sometimes 15 minutes is all the time I can make (the full workout is 45 minutes but I find I can break it into 3 segments when I need to). DVDs make it so easy to skip ahead and there's no need to rewind!

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy workout with lots of stretching, May 27 2004
CanadianMother (Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have some experience with yoga and I found this video to be very basic. The poses are very easy and the instructor takes a lot of time to explain each move. Yoga Mama would be a good choice for someone who's never done yoga before.
Since most of the moves are merely for stretching rather than toning, this video isn't very challenging. You won't break a sweat. However, I think that it's a great video for a pregnant woman to do before bedtime because it really stretches out your whole body.
For a well rounded exercise routine during pregancy I would add a video with a cardio workout like FitMama, or perhaps walking or cycling. This video won't give you all the exercise you need, but as I said the stretches are excellent and I'm sure I'll be doing it a lot towards the end of my pregnancy when I start feeling aches in my back and legs.
The instructor is okay--she seems a bit dippy when she giggles but all in all she's not too annoying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yoga Mama, March 15 2001
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
I took yoga classes pre-pregnancy, so the movements were familiar to me. I found that the instruction was on a pretty basic level, and was easy to follow. I just started in my 5th month, and feel I could easily continue until the baby is born. The one thing that bothered me about this video was her constant chatter and quick transition between movements and poses. Perhaps its because I came from a live-instruction atmosphere where there was more time to strech into the positions and really get tuned-into your body and breathing in each one. The choice of exercises is good, but she does a maximum of 3 repetitions each movement,which I don't feel is enough. Also, she talks so much, the "relaxation" exercises at the end are kind of pointless. I can't relax in 3 minutes with her chatting at me the whole time. But overall, this video is good to keep you feeling limber and centered,even when you feel like a house on legs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for us moderate yoga enthusiaists, Dec 11 2002
This review is from: Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga (VHS Tape)
I have been practicing yoga on and off for three years, and I this video has satisfied my urge to do yoga while pregnant. I'm currently 5 months pregnant, and I didn't do any yoga after I found out I was pregnant until I recently bought this video. The poses are not very hard, but they are fine for me. Additionally, I'm recovering from abdominal surgery as well, and this video allows me to get in some much needed exercise and stretches while my belly heals. I like the fact that the video shows alternative ways to do the poses, and the women in the video don't all look like super tough pregnant aerobic instructors. The only thing I would have liked is a few more minutes tacked on to the end that focused deeper on relaxation.
If you're a hard core yoga person, you will find this video too easy. Otherwise, try it- it's worth it!

Crunch: Yoga Mama--Prenatal Yoga