5.0 out of 5 stars SACD Review
I've waited a long time for this album to be available on SACD. The wait was definitely worth it. This is reference quality audio that beats any vinyl in my collection.
I dare you to listen to Money for Nothing and not get chills. The surround mix is fantastic,using all speakers to great effect.
My advice, rush out and buy this one. It may be the best SACD out...
Published on June 23 2005 by Michael R. Zwarun

3.0 out of 5 stars The hits really are the best songs.
The singles here of some of the best mainstream 80s rock songs, all of which had cool and once popular MTV videos. However, let me say that if you're buying th album expecting the rest to sound like those songs, you'll be disappointed -- it doesn't at all.
Published on Oct. 16 2003 by oldschooler1981

5.0 out of 5 stars SACD Review, June 23 2005
Michael R. Zwarun "phenker" (Thornhill, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
My advice, rush out and buy this one. It may be the best SACD out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., April 6 2013
First off, I'd like to clarify that this review is for the SACD 5.1 mix specifically.

To speak quickly about the content of the album, it's a classic plain and simple. There was a lot of fluff that came out of the 80's (not that I didn't enjoy a lot of it) and one may be quick to dismiss this album as just that if they were to know it simply for the famed "Money For Nothing" track. But the content on this album is solid beginning to end, and although 80's synth driven in many respects, it's a complex offering. And don't think synth driven is a bad connotation in my books. It's a product of the 80's where a lot of this technology and the likes was being experimented with, and the sound is fitting; I couldn't think of having it any other way. And in general I mean c'mon, you've got a steel body guitar rocketing up through the clouds to the heavens on the front cover... you know you're in for something good. Most of my review though is to look more at the sonic aspects of this re-release.

I also have the Redbook CD 2 channel version of this album and it is indeed great, but...
This multichannel mix is absolutely shocking.

I have a fairly extensive catalog of DVD-A's and SACD's and everyone goes on about Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon as being some sort of multichannel reference of which all other recordings should be measured. I've heard the DSOTM SACD, and I'm going to have to assume then that all these people have not heard this Dire Straits release.

If you have a good surround setup in which to listen to this recording on, then you are in for a serious treat. Normally very high res stuff runs the risk of sounding hard edged, synthetic, sterile. Even a regular CD runs into these issues. But this recording manages to be highly resolute and warm and full at the same time. It's a very elusive combination.

Ultimately the amount of detail that gets revealed versus the regular CD version of this album, working in conjunction with a very engaging but not gimmicky 5.1 mix, makes for the most compelling argument for a multichannel technique applied to recorded music that I have heard to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great... Excellent Sound ! ! !, Feb. 8 2006
Dominique Fleury (Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
Hi people,
As Rick before me, I find this new SACD version of "Brothers In Arms" very well done. The sound is even clearer than the already amazing original one (recorded in DDD at that time).
Mark Knopfler's guitar sound just like a caress and it is such a joy for your ears. Don't wait and go get it as soon as you can. Good listening and see you at the next show of Mark Knopfler, Dom.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Work of Art, July 7 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Brothers in Arms (Audio CD)
I began listening to Dire Straits through my mother 4 years ago when I was 10, the first album being Brothers in Arms. The first four songs were indeed trademarks of Dire Straits (and very good ones too), but the ones which most influenced me were 'Ride Across the River' and 'Man's too Strong'. Listening to Mark Knopfler's husky and deep voice sing the melancholy and intense songs is something to enjoy. I think my favourites are the two above, because of the beautiful lyrics, and the intensity in which Mark Knopfler sings them, especially 'Man's too Strong'. I know it isn't a particular favourite of most people, but I enjoy the old, even ancient theme of 'Man's too Strong' and the rebellious, powerful tone of 'Ride Across the River'. The story of the 'war criminal' in 'Man's too Strong' is really terrific, especially the way 'the sun rose in the courtyard' at his hearing. The fast-paced strum of the guitar accentuates Dire Straits' skill with music and I think they truly achieved something. They don't sing empty words for singing's sake, but sing of real stories or even poetic pieces of writing, the vocals are true and the music does not simply flaunt loud noise or screaming wails, but they parade the joy of music in both melancholic, 'worth-it' tones like 'Brothers In Arms' another favourite of mine, and cheerful boisterous tunes like 'Walk of Life'.
All in all, I admire Dire Straits' fantastic music, and "Brothers in Arms" is another celebration of their beautiful music, one of the albums I most enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Original issue is better than the remaster version, Aug. 7 2002
This review is from: Brothers in Arms (Audio CD)
I first bought the original issue of this CD back in 1986. When the remaster version was out, I also bought one as this is a great CD. After comparing the two, I found that the sound of the original version is more natural, and the sound of the remastered version is good, but it lacks the depth of sound which you can feel when listening the two version back to back. From my experience, the remaster version of certain CDs did enhance the sound quality of it, but to this one, the origianl version retains the charisma of the songs, so I gave 4 stars to the remastered version and 5 stars to the original version (which is still available).

5.0 out of 5 stars nothing dire about this!, July 9 2004
This review is from: Brothers in Arms (Audio CD)
From the fun Money for Nothing (socio-commentary on their on business) and Walk of Life to the mournful, heart-hurting Brothers in Arms, this album is perfect. It shows the range of this group. Brothers in Arms has been was used in 1985 for Miami Vice episode "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" - on of the best Vice episodes and then then turnaround and you find it used again in 2002 for West Wing for the post funeral segments of Mrs Landingham's funeral, showing it's timeless appeal.
No one Dire Straits and this album just could not get any better.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's the world coming to???? honestly..., April 14 2004
Karina Halle "edna_krabapple" (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brothers in Arms (Audio CD)
This is the first DS albulm I have ever listened to, and in the end I ended up swiping it from my father. Besides from taking me back to my childhood, the music in Brothers in Arms has always brought me a sense of meaning. Kind of like it belongs in the background of a movie, adding depth and feeling to the scene. All the tracks grow better over time, especially the poignant power in The Mans Too Strong and the title track. The only track that Im not too fond off is Your Latest Trick and that could be because it feels to me like it doesnt fit in with the rest of the albulm or that i dont like the sax very much..but still a classic edition to a classic albulm that any DS, or music fan in general, should experience.
AND i know that everyone is entitilled to an opinion. BUT WHEN I SEE REVIEWS FROM IGNORANT FRED DURST FANS, i cant help but cringe at the fact that the youth of today have no idea what real songwriting and guitar playing is (and i should know, im 22!) I figure, if u have no interest in a certain genre of music, DON'T GO BLASTING THE ALBULMS OF THAT GENRE!!!!!!! You dont see me reviewing the pitiful cover of "behind blue eyes" on the Fred Durst page.....yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dire Straits' Sonic Masterpiece, March 20 2004
Tim Brough "author and music buff" (Springfield, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brothers in Arms (Audio CD)
A long, long time ago in a PA city called WIlliamsport, I won one of the very first Sony Discman players in a radio essay contest. It was sponsored by Sony and came with ten CBS discs. Frankly there weren't too many other CD's on the market at the time. So I went out and bought a few. "Brothers In Arms" was one of them, since I was already a Dire Straits fan and the disc had just come out. Then the disc player arrived. It wasn't very big (although compared to the ones out now, it was huge), about the size of small shoe box. In fact, my initial response was, "this is it?" Feeling a little disappointed, I plugged it in and decided to test it with "Brothers In Arms."
I soon had several friends on the phone, telling them that they had to come over to my apartment RIGHT NOW and listen to "Money For Nothing" on this little device. I had a pretty decent stereo at the time and nothing, and I do mean absolutely nothing, sounded like the way this CD did coming from my speakers. The way the room filled with pure, crystal clear sound, and a very broad "soundstage" that was unlike any other 12 inch record I owned. "Brothers In Arms" became, along with Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" and Billy Joel's "Innocent Man," the disc I used to show off the joys of the new CD format.
Of course, technology has since caught up and most CD's sound pretty good overall, and I wore that little Discman out. But "Brothers In Arms" has kept a special place in my library because -- even prior to the upgrade -- it remains a sonic marvel. Considering its age (the album first came out in 1985), the best thing about this Dire Straits disc is that the songs still manage to impress. There's so much variety here, from "So Far Away," with the signature dobro slide, to the four song suite that originally comprised the album's side two. Those four songs were an almost folkish anti-war piece, in particular the stunning "The Man's Too Strong." Knopfler's very dry humor also at its peak here with the band's best known hit, "Money For Nothing."
"Brothers In Arms" doesn't have my favorite Dire Straits' song on it (that would go to "Telegraph Road"), but it is their best album in a career of great ones. And it STILL makes a great listener experience CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dire Straits' best album - a must have!, Nov. 6 2003
Prashant Sistla "PrazVT" (Blacksburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brothers in Arms (Audio CD)
I was about 4 years old when I remember hearing Dire Straits' "Love Over Gold" play, in 1983. I grew up listening to classic rock...and in terms of shear musical talent, Dire Straits has always been unparalleled in their genre. Browsing some of these reviews, a few criticize the band for being too mellow. But, children, music wasn't always Korn, Limp Bizkit, and other mindless bands of today. One of the things that was/still is appealing about Brothers In Arms (and all Dire Straits music) is the song writing of Mark Knopfler. From long, jazzy journeys to hard pop hits, the man was a genuine craftsman. I may be biased since I was listening to them from a young age, but if you sit down and just listen to the instrumentation, the lyrics...you'll see that each song has something to say. And to me, many of the songs are easily accessible ... catchy with a hook. If you're from the boyband generation, well this might test your limited attention span. But if you're 21+, and you enjoy classic rock and music from the 80s, ...well this might just be up your alley. After all, the band sold millions of copies of Brothers in Arms and it's predecessor, "Love Over Gold".

3.0 out of 5 stars The hits really are the best songs., Oct. 16 2003
This review is from: Brothers in Arms (Audio CD)
The song most well known is the one about MTV and rock stars in general, 'Money for Nothing'. It's a great rocker with a slightly heavy edge. It's funny that the song is poking fun at the rock star life and their videos, when this song itself became a popular video and song. Also, the album version clocks in at 8 minutes and is much better than the edited single version. Equally as good is the uptempo pop/boogie rock in the happy, fast-paced singing 'Walk of Life'. It also featured a football stadium video. The slower, somewhat bluesy pop of 'So Far Away' was a lesser known, but still catchy hit.
Not to sound negative, but the other 6 songs all seem like soundalikes to me. I've tried listening to 'Your Latest Trick', 'The Man's Too Strong' and the epic title track. They're all fine jazzy type music, but are nothing like the hits. I didn't realize this band normally sounded mellower, and more progressive/mystical. (I suppose the downside to my being into music so young was that the first songs I would know an artist by were their biggest pop hits. Even today, I usually favor a band's 'sellout' songs, as some would say).

Brothers in Arms
Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits (Audio CD - 2000)