5.0 out of 5 stars Wow.
First off, I'd like to clarify that this review is for the SACD 5.1 mix specifically.

Published 15 months ago by Lord P.

3.0 out of 5 stars Far from their best
I know this is the album that really sent Dire Straits on their way to their greatest commercial success, but from someone who has been a Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler fan from the start I would rate this as pretty average, far from their best. Money for Nothing and Walk of Life are good but on the whole the album is not as strong as others such as their first album titled...
Published on Jan. 5 2004 by Kilgore

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., April 6 2013

To speak quickly about the content of the album, it's a classic plain and simple. There was a lot of fluff that came out of the 80's (not that I didn't enjoy a lot of it) and one may be quick to dismiss this album as just that if they were to know it simply for the famed "Money For Nothing" track. But the content on this album is solid beginning to end, and although 80's synth driven in many respects, it's a complex offering. And don't think synth driven is a bad connotation in my books. It's a product of the 80's where a lot of this technology and the likes was being experimented with, and the sound is fitting; I couldn't think of having it any other way. And in general I mean c'mon, you've got a steel body guitar rocketing up through the clouds to the heavens on the front cover... you know you're in for something good. Most of my review though is to look more at the sonic aspects of this re-release.

I also have the Redbook CD 2 channel version of this album and it is indeed great, but...
This multichannel mix is absolutely shocking.

I have a fairly extensive catalog of DVD-A's and SACD's and everyone goes on about Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon as being some sort of multichannel reference of which all other recordings should be measured. I've heard the DSOTM SACD, and I'm going to have to assume then that all these people have not heard this Dire Straits release.

If you have a good surround setup in which to listen to this recording on, then you are in for a serious treat. Normally very high res stuff runs the risk of sounding hard edged, synthetic, sterile. Even a regular CD runs into these issues. But this recording manages to be highly resolute and warm and full at the same time. It's a very elusive combination.

Ultimately the amount of detail that gets revealed versus the regular CD version of this album, working in conjunction with a very engaging but not gimmicky 5.1 mix, makes for the most compelling argument for a multichannel technique applied to recorded music that I have heard to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great... Excellent Sound ! ! !, Feb. 8 2006
Dominique Fleury (Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
Hi people,
As Rick before me, I find this new SACD version of "Brothers In Arms" very well done. The sound is even clearer than the already amazing original one (recorded in DDD at that time).
Mark Knopfler's guitar sound just like a caress and it is such a joy for your ears. Don't wait and go get it as soon as you can. Good listening and see you at the next show of Mark Knopfler, Dom.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb remaster by Bernie on 2 - 200 gram lp's!, July 15 2014
Similar to my review of "On Every Street", excellent remaster and a quiet pressing on 2 - 200 gram lp's, ditto for "On Every Street"! If you have a good phono set up - buy it you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible audiophile sound quality!!, July 1 2014
The sound of this disk is true audiophile!
I could not believe how much better the sound quality is compared to the original!
If you want the best, this is a purchase I highly recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mix of a great album, March 14 2014
I only knew a few songs but this sounds so good I'm sure I'll listen to it a lot. Thx.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound, Feb. 21 2014
Pierre Longpre (canada) - See all my reviews
I listen to it on my OPPO BDP105 and the sound is simply amazing, I feel like having the real band in front of me

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS CD!!! Instrumentals are fantastic!, Jan. 10 2014
Julie (Burlington, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brothers In Arms (Audio CD)
Ordered this CD for "Brother's In Arms" not realizing the CD had a few songs that I grew up with so that was a pleasant surprise. I especially love all the music that I haven't heard before!!! The instrumentals are fantastic! Some songs remind me of Pink Floyd and some of Bob Dylan. Overall - I have listened to it non-stop since I received it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Sounding Records I Own, Dec 21 2013
If you can find the 2LP release from 2006 get it. It is remarkable. One of the best recordings I own fantastic sound. Unfortunately the vinyl has some flaws. Audiophile recordings are getting better at this, no doubt because of internet feedback. Hopefully in future we will have alot of great full range recordings to listen to although I am dubious. After all this is the recording industry we are talking about. Already in the infancy of the rebirth of vinyl music we are seeing the reversion to thinner records and no doubt more cost cutting measures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super SACD sound, Sept. 21 2013
Richard T. Daoud "Richard D." (Toronto-Canada) - See all my reviews
I can't believe the sound, it felt as if listening to it for the first time, amazing remastering, solid powerful rock album, and the songs are the original extended version, extremely enjoyable, would love to have all their albums in Hybrid SACD, really worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding !, Aug. 17 2013
I won't debate the pros and cons of this great artistic album, although I prefer this album over other offerings from Dire Straits. There are plenty of other reviews commenting on the music.
I will focus on the sound quality. When someone like Bob Ludwig from Gateway mastering is behind the mastering of a album you can be assured that its going to be superb. And it is just that. Bob should be considered to be one of a very small group of people that is the best of the best in his field. Any comments about the sacd sounding bright are unfounded and are result of their systems being on the bright side of neutral. I have a hig end solid state designed system( no tubes) and I find the sound is neutral and smooth. Comparing it to vinyl, it is not quite as warm, but just as smooth. I dare say it has more inner detail than record. It is equally enjoyable. Absolutely no listening fatigue with this cd. These comments are based on 2 channel stereo layer. I don't have a surround system.

Brothers in Arms
Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits (Audio CD - 2000)