5.0 out of 5 stars One of the 3 best albums of 2000
Published on Jan. 28 2001 by Gabriel V. Delsaz

1.0 out of 5 stars I was seduced by "oh darlin"
Published on Nov. 8 2000 by rob weaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Bold and Beautiful, Feb. 5 2001
Bren Bataclan (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Guess Sometimes I Need To Be (Audio CD)
One of the best recent 4ad releases! Though it took me a while to appreciate the album, it was worth the patience. Don't expect the usual dance or ambient stuff, this is experimental at its best!! If you are a fan of the label and electronic music, this may be what you have been waiting for--great combination! The packaging of the cd is also quite innovative.

4.0 out of 5 stars An adventurous, but odd, release from the new 4AD, Feb. 1 2001
This review is from: I Guess Sometimes I Need To Be (Audio CD)
Magnetophone, one of 4AD's latest signings after the departure of label chief Ivo Watts-Russell, specialize in a low-key brand of sonic noodling. Their first full album, I GUESS SOMETIMES I NEED TO BE REMINDED OF HOW MUCH YOU LOVE ME, is a unique achievement, but one that certainly wouldn't appeal to everyone.
Eschewing traditional instruments in favour of all manner of old electronic equipment, Magnetophone produce a fuzzy, vocal-less noise pop that seeks to answer the question "What is music?" While many of the songs here are unlistenable, other tracks such as "Oh Darlin'" and "Milk of the Commander" capture the listener's attention well. The album is all the more enjoyable to long-time 4AD fans because some of the tracks, especially "Frankenholmes Drive," evoke memories of the "Early Works" of Warren Defever (His Name is Alive).
I GUESS... is not for everyone. In fact, I suspect a lot of people will despair of 4AD because of it, but I'm glad to see a release this original. The album is all the more enjoyable because of the remarkable design by v23, which uses an envelope instead of a booklet in the CD case and whose back insert is only half-size.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the 3 best albums of 2000, Jan. 28 2001
Gabriel V. Delsaz "snarfquack" (Miami, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Guess Sometimes I Need To Be (Audio CD)
Magnetophone has to be the most underappreciated, underrated group making music today. Next to Grandaddy's "The Software Slump" and Doves' "Lost Souls" this stands as one of the 3 finest albums to come out this year. It genuinely pains me that such musical brilliance goes largely ignored and relegated to "quirky, left-of-center" status. In reality, this is a collection of 13 tracks which display a melodic genius on the part of their creators. It may sound like generic electronica to the casual listener, but listen for a few moments and you will hear brilliant, wonderful melodies played through avant-garde musical sensibilities. If you are musically adventurous and want to hear the best music of the last year, give this album a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, but patience is rewarded, Nov. 21 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: I Guess Sometimes I Need To Be (Audio CD)
This CD will definitely not appeal to all, but it does something most music doesn't even try to do these days: experiment. Magnetophone are never going to fit in anywhere--neither as "electronica," nor as "avant-garde," but this bizarre exploration of the limits of what music can actually be is worth a listen. There's not much point, either, in comparing it to Aphex Twin, My Bloody Valentine with more keyboards, etc. 4AD took a real chance here, and continues a great tradition of signing superior instrumental acts.

1.0 out of 5 stars I was seduced by "oh darlin", Nov. 8 2000
rob weaver (St. Louis, Missouri USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Guess Sometimes I Need To Be (Audio CD)
Unfortunately I heard only "oh darlin" off of 4ad's website before running out to buy this album on its release day November 7. I was seduced by the cut's trip hop/My Bloody Valentine sound and couldn't wait to hear more. My feelings now, after having heard the entire album was I had been set up. The album, except for possibly tracks 6,9 and 11 are excruciating doodles of chaos that would have been better left in the studio or compiled into another CD titled "Meaningless Cacophony Due to Lack of Vision". These self directed guys could have greatly benefited from an editor and I can only wonder now if their uncle is Ivo. Ivo, you should have put your foot down!

ARRAY(0xbeb8172c)

I Guess Sometimes I Need To Be
I Guess Sometimes I Need To Be by Magnetophone (Audio CD - 2000)