5.0 out of 5 stars The best FNM album, no question!
Published on June 19 2004 by Damian Marshall

1.0 out of 5 stars Not My Style!
After listening four other Faith No More albums I listened this and I couldn't believe my ears. This was so different kind of music. "Annie's Song", "The Crab Song", "Faster Disco" were horrible to listen to. This is very bad. I was waiting for something better. The lyrics are boring and so are the melodies.
Published on Aug. 5 2003 by Reijo Piippula

5.0 out of 5 stars The best FNM album, no question!, June 19 2004
Damian Marshall (Prairiewood, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduce Yourself (Audio CD)
Hmmm. I would guess that the reviews I've seen can be split into those who heard "The Real Thing" (or later) first, and those who were familiar with "Introduce Yourself" and "We Care A Lot". I was clearing out my garage a month or so back and came across this gem. I hadn't heard it in 10 years (no joke) and I was immediately blown away again! This is the sound of a band at the absolutely peak of their powers. The songs are barely contained in their intensity. "We Care A Lot" is patchy but shows promise and here it pays off, big time! In fact, for me, even 15 years after I first heard it, the opening chords of "The Real Thing" still ring in my head, for the simple reason that I thought they'd dropped the ball! From then on, FNM were a rock band, and a great one at that, but here they melded any music genre you could name, and did it brilliantly. Punk, metal, rap, sweeping electronica, it's all here. An awesome band and a, literally, awe inspiring album. If only all music was this good!

5.0 out of 5 stars A divine blend of testosterone,adrenaline and musical genius, Jan. 20 2003
"jerbrecht" (Highland Park, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduce Yourself (Audio CD)
I consider this to be one of the top ten greatest albums of all time.
This 1987 release is more than a decade ahead of its time with its blend of rap, metal and punk, with a soul and a power that blows away today's Limp Bizkits like so many dry, dead leaves.
Why do I love this album? For one, this band has an understanding of the principle of dynamics, something that even technically gifted bands like Metallica tend to lack. This album lifts you to the heights of head-banging ecstasy, fully on a level with newly-appreciated (thanks to Mike Myers) breakdown in Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody-- then it drops you into a cool pond of still water, where you lie, floating for a moment, before being grabbed by the collar and thrown against the wall. All of this is done within the space of a single song, using the most sophisticated and subtle musical devices.
Overall, this album is superior to the band's other efforts, in terms of musical greatness, technical execution and strength of emotion. It is one of those rare, seemingly divinely inspired and powerfully executed works of art that truly warrants the overused and now diluted term of "genius."
The only band today to which I could compare FNM on this album, at least in terms of emotional delivery and sheer power, is the mighty System Of A Down, who has achieved comparable moments of greatness, although not quite as consistently or thoroughly as FNM does on this tour de force. I do believe that SOAD has the potential to put out an album this good some day.
I won't state a position on the "which singer is better" issue. Mike Patton and Chuck Mosley have completely different styles and musical personalities. I will mention, though, that Chuck Mosley provides a raw insanity, beautifully balanced with a sense of humor. His sloppiness, juxtaposed against the iron-fist-in-a-silk-glove sound of the rest of the band, who are all phenomenally talented and expressive musicians, pushes the band to a level that is virtually impossible to achieve when all of the musicians are "smooth," technically precise performers. In other words, his imperfections are an essential part of the album's greatness.
Favorite tracks: The Crab Song and Chinese Arithmetic

4.0 out of 5 stars Roddy and Bill make some awesome music here, Jan. 8 2002
JLA (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduce Yourself (Audio CD)
Listening to Patton-era FNM, one can't help but notice that Bill Gould's bass is f**king AMAZING and Roddy Bottum's keyboards add a lot. Furthermore, one can't help but notice that neither are really used to their full potential.
Here, however, they are. Jim Miller's guitar is hardly even noticeable on several tracks, and Chuck Mosley's vocals are less of a centerpiece of the sound as Mike Patton's would come to be (although Chuck's unorthodox vocals are a wonderfully enjoyable breath of fresh air). It's almost entirely the Gould and Bottum show. And it is good. Damn good.
It is fairly disturbing that this album came out in 1987, as it contains elments of every single popular hard rock/metal band from the past 5 years. These guys were too ahead of their time.
Is it as good as the Patton-era albums? Well, I'd say its about on the same level as Angel Dust, and better than Album of the Year, but not as good as The Real Thing or King For A Day... Fool For A Lifetime.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure FNM album, July 4 2001
This review is from: Introduce Yourself (Audio CD)
Even though Mike Patton might have been the final key to the Faith No More glory, Chuck Mosely - era FNM still wasn't so bad. In fact, this is a brilliant album! For example, tracks like "Faster Disco", "Anne's Song", "Introduce Yourself", "We Care A Lot" or "Chinese Arithmetic" easilly equal the likes of "Zombie Eaters", "The Morning After", or "What A Day", for example. Chuck Mosely might not be the most talented vocalist in the business, but his attitude is impressive and his vocals often suite almost perfectly with the music. With Introduce Yourself, FNM achieved the groovy, funk-rhtyhm sound they are often known for. Especially on tracks like "Faster Disco", "Anne's Song", "Chines Arithmetic", "We Care A Lot" and "The Crab Song" you can hear what accomplished musicians Bordin, Gould, Bottum & Martin reaaly were - already. All in all, this is were the FNM sound reaaly took over. It's not really inferior at all compared to some of the Patton - era music. Enjoy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good music, and the vocals suit it, June 10 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Introduce Yourself (Audio CD)
This is the first Faith No More with Chuck Mosely as the lead singer. Now, I'll admit that I think replacing Chuck with Mike Patton was one of the smartest things that FNM ever did, but nevertheless, this album still rocks. Rather than describing Introduce Yourself in general, I've decided to write a song by song review. Enjoy! :
1.Faster Disco - Awkwardly enough this is actually a rather slow song but it's still a good opener with well performed instuments and Chuck Mosely's simple singing capabilities.
2.Anne's Song - Very melodical Bass line with a very cool Chorus and the end of this song will probably confuse the hell out of you on your first listen. :-)
3.Introduce Yourself - A short n' fast song that kicks in immidiately after track 2 is finished which works well with track 2's ending. :-)
4.Chinese Arithmetic - Starts out with a nice instrumental which is shortly joined by well harmonized bass and guitar lines that work with eachother. Good Song.
5.Death March - The begining of this song is a monologue of Chuck Mosely trying to get a ticket for a bus (I think) and then getting pissed and deciding to skate to the beach. Then the actual song starts which is a loud song that has kind of a doomsday feeling to it.
6.We Care A Lot - Cool Loud Rocking song with great bass (which I thougt was deep piano keys the first time I listened) and all the other instruments work together to produce a very good sound. With its lyrics I kind like to think of it as Green Peace's theme song.
7.R N' R - Great song overall with a really oddly but well tuned bass. One thing that bothered me for a while was that this song borrows some lyrics from Chinese Arithmetic(track #4), but I don't mind it anymore.
8.The Crab Song - Begins with what I think is Chuck kicking his girl friend out of his home and realizing he shouldn't have done so for the rest of the song. Then comes a nice loud part!
9.Blood - Has a synthesizer beginning (almost doesn't sound like Faith No More at first) and then all the other instruments kick in. Personally it's not my favorite song but it's still ok.
10.Spirit - Singing with no intruments at first and then the guitars and drums come in shortly joined by the bass which sounds rather ordinary when compared to the other songs. This song's an ok closer (I guess).
Over all it's a good CD and I would urge all big Faith No More fans (Mike Patton fans and Chuck Mosely fans alike) to buy this record.

4.0 out of 5 stars The other Faith no more, Nov. 20 2000
Tomass (Warsaw, Poland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduce Yourself (Audio CD)
To be honest I started listening to Faith no more with the Real Thing album and the history of the band was a mistery to me. Anyways when I became fascinated with the sound I decided to look back and what have I found - Chuck Moseley on the microphone. Chuck is totally different to Mike Patton and the thing is that ...well he cannot exactly hit the tune. This, however, makes the album not only even more interesting but also original (you will like it if you are sick of "perfect voice" bands and artists). I would call the album rough and little bit funny with Chuck intros and monolouges but I have to admit that his behaviour makes the whole album grotesque if not little bit strange. So if you would like to have a little bit of fun and laugh for a moment or so buy the album but if you are looking for nice tunes and catchy voice forget it. For the real fans - it is worth to know what other musicians (especially Jim Martin) were up to in those days.

5.0 out of 5 stars The second album. 10 Gracious Melodies!!!, June 12 2002
Michael D Murphy (Pearl Harbor, Hawaii United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduce Yourself (Audio CD)
...naysayers of Chuck Mosely need to step back on this one. His voice kind of makes me wish that the Mike Patton era could have been delayed just enough for another album. There really isn't a comparison from the first album when you hear how far he had come. Not to single him out, the band also progressed accordingly and showcased enough studio-savviness to break into the majors. Jimmy was getting his chops together, Mikey was hitting harder, Roddy's keyboard as bombastic and full-bodied as ever. And when you look back on it all, it makes the most underground elitist proud that they broke into the mainstream in such an unorthodox fashion. Simply, they just don't make cuts like this anymore.
Then the humor sets in and the impromptu, seemingly improvised lyrics grab ahold of you and, even though they may sound corny, you found yourself singing it to yourself on the bus to school. You had to admit: they were genius' "outside" of thier time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in recent Mike Patton obsession., April 23 2001
Grizzlore (New Orleans, LA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduce Yourself (Audio CD)
Featuring initial singer Chuck Mosely, this album highlights the group as a singular unit, focusing more on instrumental interplay than the pretentious meanderings of later singer Mike Patton. The result is a tight punk/skater record with some progressive tendencies and no shame in singing about transformers, having your fridge raided during a party, and skateboarding to the beach. Mosely's limited range is not as powerful as Patton's dynamic vocals, though his monotone rants are more suiting for this early incarnation of the group. The music is much more percussive and funky than later work. Bill Gould and Mike Bordin's stomping rythms drive the arpeggiated harmonies of Jim Martin and Roddy Bottum. I'm very happy to see this great album just recently reissued by Rhino, as it mysteriously dissapeared from the shelves a few years ago. Hopefully Rhino will soon do the same with the band's first release, We Care A Lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in recent Mike Patton obsession., April 23 2001
Grizzlore (New Orleans, LA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars CHUCK IS PRETTY GOOD TOO, Nov. 27 2001
This review is from: Introduce Yourself (Audio CD)
Chuck Moseley's vocals are very fitting for this record. Mike Patton is an absolute musical genius but Chuck hilds his own here. BIlly Gould's bass rivals Flea on this record there is so much slap funk. Chuck brings a raw punk energy to the record. This is rap metal that is real and ture unlike the garbage so called rap metal bands coming out now. Chinese ASrithmetic is FNM's 1st ever thrash metal and even though Patton sings it better live it worls well here. We Care a Lot is on this record and the absolutely funky Annes Song along with the catchy Faster Disco. Spirit is a great album closer with its funk metal riffs.This is great Beach skateboard Funk music. Pure Punk Funk. FNM sound like the bastard brother of the Chili peppers here

Introduce Yourself
Introduce Yourself by Faith No More (Audio CD - 2000)