4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly put together 2 disc set from Criterion
Perhaps the most special material I've ever seen on a disc, Endless re-mixes, alternate cuts, commentaries, photo galleries,
short films, the choice of watching whole videos from different camera angles, even optional subtitles for oldsters like me
who want to get their clever rhymes, but need help.

As for the videos themselves there are 18, from the...
Published 19 months ago by K. Gordon

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have the videos available, but extravagent
Their music is great, the videos aren't the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I listen to the b-boys quite a bit, but I don't find a video dvd to have much replay value.
Published on July 3 2004 by Mr E

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly put together 2 disc set from Criterion, Dec 14 2012
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beastie Boys Anthology (DVD)
who want to get their clever rhymes, but need help.

As for the videos themselves there are 18, from the Beastie Boy's early work to 2000, and they range from amazing to silly.
But they're never dull, and even the silly is smart silly, if that makes sense. These guys are actively embracing their inner
goofballs at times, and that's part of what makes them endearing.

There isn't the cinematic brilliance of some of the very best rock videos (for the most part) but if you are a fan, this set is
indispensable, and if, like me, you're only a casual admirer you'll still find plenty to explore and enjoy.

I do wish the choice hadn't been made to censor some of the language. On a disc this bold, it's an oddly timid choice.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have the videos available, but extravagent, July 3 2004
Mr E (Beaux Arts, WA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars No words, just unintelligible drooling., July 2 2004
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
Oh my. This is a brilliant DVD. First of all, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the Beasties make some seriously awesome music videos. Case in point: my brothers are not B-boy fans, but they worship at the altar of Sabotage every time it plays. So compiling the videos (minus those during the Def Jam days) by itself is a fantastic idea. Then, there's the countless different camera angles, often several per video. The stills. The commentaries from directors and the Boys themselves. (Even though theirs don't bring much new knowledge to light. Whatever, even as kickback as their commentary is, it works.) The different remixes. Again, often several per song. The extra clips like the interview with the cast of Sabotage (my sides hurt after that one) and the Intergalactic short. This DVD is so jammed with goodies that you won't want to leave your house. Ever. Okay, for at least a very long time. Bonus points for making everything clear and concise, the instruction manual, and the kick ass Sabotage poster that now resides on my ceiling.

5.0 out of 5 stars a DVD taking full advantage of what DVD's can do !!, June 20 2004
Ted "Ted" (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
This release by the Criterion Collection is one of the most impressive DVD's in terms of special features and versatility that I have seen. This double disc set covers the music videos by the band, The Beastie Boys.
It covers 18 of their songs and the special features make up 95% of the content. Many of the songs contain lyrics not suitable for children and some teens, though some of the songs have the profanity bleeped.
The songs featured are Intergalactic, Shake Your Rump, Gratitude, Something's Got to Give, Sure Shot, Hey Ladies, Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun, Body Movin', So What'Cha Want, Sabotage, Shadrach, Three MCs and One DJ, Ricky's Theme, Pass the Mic, Holy Snappers, Root Down, Netty's Girl and Alive.
Of these my favorites are Intergalctic, and Shadrach.
For bonus features we have two audio commentaries of each video. One by the band and one by the directors. There are also alternate audio tracks of remixes of many of the songs interchangable with seperate video angles making hundreds of possible combinations. There is also slide shows of album art and pictures of video production and storyboarding.
I watched each individual angle and listened to each individual remix but did not do each possible combination as this would have probably taken a VERY long time.
Hardcore Beastie Boys fans though, will love to do this. Many of the videos contain very impressive footage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Wait As Long As I Did, June 17 2004
M. Levi "Music Lover" (The City, Baby) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
I am a true Beastie Boys fan, but for some reason it took me almost 4 years to buy this cd. 4 years wasted. I couldn't believe the additional footage and all the extras that come with this DVD. The "remix" videos are so outstanding. This is probably the best DVD I have ever bought by any artist. Don't waste as much time as I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why?, Feb. 3 2004
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
This dvd kick's butt!!! there alot are of bonus feature's to keep you entertained for hours. the reason I gave it a 4 out of five is because for some reason they left out the video's from the liscence to ill cd. WHY? This would have been the complete beastie dvd and earned a five instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beastie Boys At Their Best, Dec 25 2003
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
I would not just throw out 5 stars to any old thing this is by far the best DVD I have, if you like the Beastie Boys you will love this DVD Set. It may not have Fight For You Right and No Sleep Till Brooklyn, but it still has all of their other hits plus background information on all of them, and different things remixes you can do with some of them.
I will be watching this DVD everyday I guarantee it

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most entertaining DVD out there, Sept. 20 2003
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
Beastie Boys Criterion Collection DVD is by a long shot the most entertaining DVD on the market. It has so many features which include remixes, multi-angles, commentaries, alternate versions of the videos and more. Based on what else I've seen, I believe this is the best musical DVD release ever. Fans of Beastie Boys need to go out and get a DVD player and get this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Beastie Boys Fan, Aug. 30 2003
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
This dvd you have to have it in your collection if you like the Beastie Boys. My fav. videos on this dvd are Sure Shot and Root Down.
Ciao

5.0 out of 5 stars What DVD is about, Aug. 11 2003
C. Minnick "Life is cartoons and sports. Eve... (Ames, IA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
You name the function that DVD promised, it is here. Multiple cuts for videos, multiple shots for videos, change the soundtrack and see how it works with a certain video, especially with Intergalactic Planetary. This is the single best DVD to show what DVD is all about. Hate the Beasty Boys, but respect the vision that they saw on DVD, 5 YEARS ago, that has not been recognized now on a regular basis.

Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen)
CDN$ 39.98 CDN$ 29.99