5.0 out of 5 stars No words, just unintelligible drooling.
Published on July 1 2004 by slychick6

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have the videos available, but extravagent
Their music is great, the videos aren't the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I listen to the b-boys quite a bit, but I don't find a video dvd to have much replay value.
Published on July 2 2004 by Mr E

5.0 out of 5 stars No words, just unintelligible drooling., July 1 2004
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
Oh my. This is a brilliant DVD. First of all, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the Beasties make some seriously awesome music videos. Case in point: my brothers are not B-boy fans, but they worship at the altar of Sabotage every time it plays. So compiling the videos (minus those during the Def Jam days) by itself is a fantastic idea. Then, there's the countless different camera angles, often several per video. The stills. The commentaries from directors and the Boys themselves. (Even though theirs don't bring much new knowledge to light. Whatever, even as kickback as their commentary is, it works.) The different remixes. Again, often several per song. The extra clips like the interview with the cast of Sabotage (my sides hurt after that one) and the Intergalactic short. This DVD is so jammed with goodies that you won't want to leave your house. Ever. Okay, for at least a very long time. Bonus points for making everything clear and concise, the instruction manual, and the kick ass Sabotage poster that now resides on my ceiling.

5.0 out of 5 stars a DVD taking full advantage of what DVD's can do !!, June 20 2004
Ted "Ted" (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
This release by the Criterion Collection is one of the most impressive DVD's in terms of special features and versatility that I have seen. This double disc set covers the music videos by the band, The Beastie Boys.
It covers 18 of their songs and the special features make up 95% of the content. Many of the songs contain lyrics not suitable for children and some teens, though some of the songs have the profanity bleeped.
The songs featured are Intergalactic, Shake Your Rump, Gratitude, Something's Got to Give, Sure Shot, Hey Ladies, Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun, Body Movin', So What'Cha Want, Sabotage, Shadrach, Three MCs and One DJ, Ricky's Theme, Pass the Mic, Holy Snappers, Root Down, Netty's Girl and Alive.
Of these my favorites are Intergalctic, and Shadrach.
For bonus features we have two audio commentaries of each video. One by the band and one by the directors. There are also alternate audio tracks of remixes of many of the songs interchangable with seperate video angles making hundreds of possible combinations. There is also slide shows of album art and pictures of video production and storyboarding.
I watched each individual angle and listened to each individual remix but did not do each possible combination as this would have probably taken a VERY long time.
Hardcore Beastie Boys fans though, will love to do this. Many of the videos contain very impressive footage.

5.0 out of 5 stars So that's what that multi-angle button is for..., Dec 27 2001
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
I just received this DVD collection for Christmas after a month's anticipation resulting from begging a friend to buy it for me. When I got it I was happy enough just to see that there was a free two-sided poster inside (there's a bonus!), but the real giddy enjoyment came the first time I watched the first disc. "The Robot Vs. Octopus Saga" was pretty funny, and discovering the numerous different angles I could watch "Intergalactic" in was even more entertaining. Oh, and watch the saga in surround sound, it's really cool.
Sure, I was disappointed that a few good videos were left off, like "She's On It" and "Fight For Your Right"--how can you have a Beastie Boys video collection without that integral, classic video? But that still didn't keep me from spending the first three days of ownership in front of the TV watching every video, owner's manual in hand seeking out all the extra features. I swear, everyone in my house must've been so sick of hearing "Sabotage" because I was watching all the different fight sequences so many times.
Really, this is the first time I've ever used the multi-angle button. You could spend over an hour (yeah, I did) watching "Alive" in all the different angles while playing a different remix each time. I loved watching my favorite video, "Three MC's and One DJ," in quadri-angle, and even better I was surprised at how clear the picture was since I'm used to the ... quality of the videotape I have some of these videos on. I suppose that's just a DVD player thing, huh?... This new-fangled electronic stuff...
This DVD collection is perfect for any Beastie Boys fan who maybe hasn't seen some of these old videos ("So What'cha Want," "Sure Shot," "Hey Ladies," or the newer but rare "Body Movin' ") in a long time. It's also got some good stuff that you probably haven't seen before ("Netty's Girl," which is hilarious, "Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun," "Holy Snappers," "Ricky's Theme," and the moving--I know that's cheesy, this whole damn review is cheesy--"Something's Got to Give"). So if you're considering purchasing it, don't hesitate...to ask someone else to buy it for you! You'll probably enjoy it more, since you've now saved enough money to buy the other Beastie Boys Anthology, The Sounds of Science, but that's another review altogether...

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring it back, that old New York rap..., March 9 2003
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
Everyone else has already spoken vastly on the many fine features of this DVD: superfly remixes, multiangled precision viewing, funnily-commentaried extravegance, the B-Boys running about, to and fro, in fantastically-colored jumpsuits, rhyming about something other than the bling-bling and bitties and dolla dolla bills, y'all. So I won't mention all that again. I didn't buy this DVD here, I found it in a used bin ..., and have thoroughly enjoyed it on all accounts but one (which is why it failed to procure a five-star rating): it has been censored. Now I'm not sure if they've all been edited or if my particular DVD originally came from a puritan store ... or something, but I'd be completely willing to buy another copy just to hear [it].

5.0 out of 5 stars A DVD?, March 26 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
This is one of the best DVDs that I have. It is so cool. It has so many remixes(about 40) and so many different angles(I think only 2 or 3 of the videoes don't have alternate angles.) The commentary is pretty funny. All of the videoes are at least okay, and most of them are pretty good. I liked some of the newer ones because of all of the angles("Alive" and "Intergalatic"). Also "Sabotage" was good, and it was directed by Spike Jonze, the director of the best movie of 1999,"Being John Malcovich". I think that if you are reading this review, you should pick it up and watch(if you have it) or buy it. It has a lot of extra stuff and is a good buy, so buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 disks; 3-pack bonanza, Dec 12 2001
Clare Quilty (a little pad in hawaii) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
The Beastie Boys Criterion Anthology demonstrates, better than any other DVD I've ever seen, the wealth of possibilities offered to music and video by current technology.
Since most of the 18 videos here have multiple (and more) options for remixes and alternate visuals, once you really get into this collection, it almost becomes more like an interactive game than an anthology. With all the options to mix-and-match song and picture, you could tweak with this thing for hours.
Plus, the sound and picture quality are excellent. And the "Body Movin" video samples Mario Bava's "Danger: Diabolique," which is pretty frickin' cool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly put together 2 disc set from Criterion, Dec 14 2012
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beastie Boys Anthology (DVD)
Perhaps the most special material I've ever seen on a disc, Endless re-mixes, alternate cuts, commentaries, photo galleries,
short films, the choice of watching whole videos from different camera angles, even optional subtitles for oldsters like me
who want to get their clever rhymes, but need help.

As for the videos themselves there are 18, from the Beastie Boy's early work to 2000, and they range from amazing to silly.
But they're never dull, and even the silly is smart silly, if that makes sense. These guys are actively embracing their inner
goofballs at times, and that's part of what makes them endearing.

There isn't the cinematic brilliance of some of the very best rock videos (for the most part) but if you are a fan, this set is
indispensable, and if, like me, you're only a casual admirer you'll still find plenty to explore and enjoy.

I do wish the choice hadn't been made to censor some of the language. On a disc this bold, it's an oddly timid choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 and 3/4 Stars, Sept. 11 2002
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
I've learned more about directing and editing and the technical aspects of filmmaking from watching Beastie Boys videos and listening to them comment then from watching all those millions of "real" movies. Well, maybe. I just wish it had "Fight for Your Right" and, even more so, "She's On It," because it would then be perfect. "So What'cha Want" (which needs a question mark) is far and away my favorite music video. I think. I haven't seen any music videos but these for upwards of three years. Disdain for MTV will do that to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, Jan. 26 2003
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
This is an essential purchase for any Beasties fan. Brilliant videos and excellent extras. This is how every music DVD should be. This sets THE standard. This does not include anything from Licence to Ill, because of Def jam and the licencing.
I spent about 45 mins watching some of the videos, due to the shear weight of the extras. Lots of angles, remixes and commentry. The beastie boys commentry is more funny then informative, but still nice having it there.
You must own this DVD if you have ANY interest in the Beastie boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beastie Boys At Their Best, Dec 25 2003
This review is from: Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen) (DVD)
I would not just throw out 5 stars to any old thing this is by far the best DVD I have, if you like the Beastie Boys you will love this DVD Set. It may not have Fight For You Right and No Sleep Till Brooklyn, but it still has all of their other hits plus background information on all of them, and different things remixes you can do with some of them.
I will be watching this DVD everyday I guarantee it

Beastie Boys: Video Anthology (Full Screen)
CDN$ 39.98 CDN$ 32.97