5.0 out of 5 stars "what are you doodyhodders doin' on my planet?"
When i first got bad taste i was verry surprised at how great the packageing is , theres a holographic cover aswell as a nice plastic sleeve . what else would one expect ? its is after all , an Anchor Bay dvd.after finaly getting to view bad taste on something bigger than a computer screen i was verry pleased ! this movie rocks so much . my only complaint is that it lacks...
Published on July 19 2004 by josh

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad! (For a Beginning)
Published on Feb. 4 2004 by Bobby Z. Thomas

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Gory, Sick, Funny, And Gross!, Feb. 14 2004
This review is from: Bad Taste (Widescreen) (DVD)
I just bought this movie, it was this or tales from the crypt, i went home, and watched it...i laughed and said "Gross" More than any other movie! this movie makes dead alive look like barbie goes to paris! ok so its not that gory but holy crap its nasty! i love it! if you get offended easily don't watch this! i'm serious! and if you are squimish, don't even think about watching this! i want to be a mortician and this grossed me out! i seriously wanted to throw up! and i almost did!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad! (For a Beginning), Feb. 4 2004
Bobby Z. Thomas (Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Taste (VHS Tape)
I must admit, Peter Jackson's earlier films (Dead-Alive, The Frightners, and Meet the Feebles) made me cautious about seeing The Lord of the Rings. Not everyone can make Citizen Kane or Blood Simple the first time. Bad Taste is a lot like El Mariachi in how it makes you wonder just how much money do you need to make a movie? If you watch the movie as a "serious" sci-fi horror film, then you'll hate it, as people have. Bad Taste is sick, yes, but it's odd how in the ways the Evil Dead movies are made, on the surface as horror movies, but actual comedies. The special effects are corny and the dialogue could have been written by a ten year old and most of the actors look like rejects from a garage band, but that's the whole idea. Bad Taste was the training wheels. LOTR is the Tour de France. Peter Jackson has grown and for what it's worth, Bad Taste will always be the movie that got him going. Gross-out humor doesn't always have to be about flatulence. How about eating brains?! The scene of Derek (PJ) torturing alien Robert (PJ again) is cleverly done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Taste, Jan. 1 2004
Zack (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Taste (Widescreen) (DVD)
What do The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Heavenly Creatures, and Bad Taste all have in common? Absolutely nothing, except for the fact that they were all movies directed by Peter Jackson and were filmed in his native country of New Zealand.

Known for his silver-screen renditions of The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Borovnian classic, Heavenly Creatures, Peter Jackson has established himself as premier director in today's entertainment industry. A star he is today, but what was he yesterday?
Peter Jackson's directoral debut came in 1987 when he produced the movie aptly named Bad Taste. Sporting an incredibly low budget and four long years in the making, Bad Taste would shock audiences around the world. Shocking, not only because of the incredibly stupid story, the humorous, over the top violence, and the crazy New Zealand accents, but shocking because this movie was actually somewhat decent in the eyes of both moviegoers and critics alike. A decent splatter horror movie? Start pinching yourself now.
The wild plot of Bad Taste starts off in a small New Zealand town that is being taken over by the intergalactic Lord Crumb and his army of alien marauders, who are planning to "harvest" the inhabitants for an interplanetary chain of fast-food restaurants. However, Derek (who is played by Peter Jackson himself) and his mates from AIDS (the Astro Investigation and Defense Service) are sent in by the government to destroy the
enemy and ultimately save mankind. The synopsis might be maniacally sophomoric, but the point of this movie is not to sweep the Academy Awards, but instead to make you laugh, which it easily does.

Along with the crazy script, Bad Taste further induces blissful insanity with an outrageous hailstorm of exaggerated violence. So graphic, that it is funny, I still find myself laughing today. Unfortunately, I can only say so much though before I sound like a deranged madman. You have to see it to believe it.

Accompanied by an unfathomable amount of red dye, Bad Taste is also supported by a solid cast and setting. Reflecting the same cinematic beauty of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, the scenery in Bad Taste ironically parallels the actions of the cast.
Considering the tight budget that Peter Jackson had to work with, the cast is incredibly solid. The characters not only get the fundamental job done, but they also improvise more humor and add distinct personality to the story as well. If you like Foster's beer commercials you'll also enjoy the intense accents of the New Zealand cast.

A very picky person when it comes to movies, I am the type of person that typically likes a very serious movies with a prevalent theme. Movies about street racing or some crazy man running around with a chainsaw or a meat cleaver do nothing for me. It is a great contrast for me to say I enjoyed Bad Taste, but I cannot lie to myself, the movie was amazing. Maybe it was because I stayed up too late on New Year's Eve, or maybe it is because there is something different about this movie.

The ultimate indy horror flick, Bad Taste is something you have to experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad taste is awesome!, Nov. 12 2003
Jimmy Lee "James" (Manhasset, N.Y. United States) - See all my reviews
I was always quite curious about this movie since I heard only good things about it. so I took a chance and bought the limited edition set. Right from the start the movie opens up with excellent blood and gore. A very good move by Peter Jackson, surprisingly the movie gets better and better as more blood and gore come into play. The cheezy atomsphere, low-budget actors, and senseless gore really gives the movie a good sense of humor. Besides the movie, the limited edition dvd is even better. Anchor bay never disappoints you, the transfer is amazing, the sound quality is outstanding as well. The dvd offers surround ex, and 6.1 dts tracks. The movie also comes with the making of Bad taste which also makes the movie well worth your time. For horror fans who love unnecessary gore and low budget actors, deff. buy this without hesistate!

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT LOW BUDGET MOVIE TO GET YOUR CLAWS ON, Nov. 10 2003
Rob (Tucson, Arizona) - See all my reviews
I DO NOT WANT TO RANT AND RAVE ABOUT ALL THE FINE POINTS OF THE MOVIE, BUT TELL YOU THAT THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ONE OF THE GORIEST FILMS THAT I'VE EVER SEEN.
THE FILM WAS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED WHEN I FIRST PUT IT ON, I EXPECTED IT NOT TO LOOK LIKE IT WAS FILMED IN SOMEBODY'S BACKYARD, AS IT WAS MOSTLY THE CASE IN BAD TASTE. I ALSO EXPECTED TO SEE THE ALIENDS COOKING THE HUMANS AND SERVING THEM IN A RESTAURANT ON EARTH. BASICALLY I AMAGINED A WHOLE DIFFERENT MOVIE THAN THAT.
BUT IT WAS STILL GREAT, THE SPECIAL FX, THE CAMPY DIALOGUE, AND EVEN SOME OF THE CAMERAWORK WAS GOOD. THIS MOVIE INSPIRED ME, AND MOVIED ME, NOT TO MENTION MAKE ME SPEW. I RECCOMEND THIS MOVIE TO ALL FANS OF SPLATTERSTICK WITH A WARNING, THIS MOVIE IS VERRRY GORY. BUYER BEWARE. DON'T EAT BEFORE THE MOVIE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good taste, Oct. 13 2003
For those of you who didn't like Dead Alive (I'm one) then you should check out this one. The movie is very good considering the budget they had to work with. It also took four years to make and you can tell they had a blast. You get a extra disc with 25 minutes of footage about the film. It gives you a glimpse of the genius of Peter Jackson. The makeup and FX are better than more expensive movies. Just keep an open mind with the film and enjoy. It's a laugh riot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarous, Oct. 5 2003
One of my all time favorites. A gore filled masterpiece has some of the grossest and funnist moments i've ever seen my favorite being the part where the aliens head is twisted off and kicked through the window like a soccerball or when Derek chainsaws right through the alien and says "i'm born again!" that was the sh*t. There is plenty of gore in this one too. Sledgehammers bashing heads in, heads popped off, shootings, chainsaw fun, brains getting blown out, one alien eating the brains of his friend with a spoon right after and more. I liek this one WAY more then dead alive. This one has much better charaters my favorite being Derek the nutty scientist/leader who is played by Mr Jackson himself, who falls off of a cliff and loses his mind while fighting one of those bastards, the body count in this is pretty high it must be in the 90+ region. After this Peter Jackson went on to make Meet the Feebles a puppet parody, then did Braindead (Dead alive). The story is like this a bunch of aliens have made a small town into hamburger meat and its up the A.I.D.S to stop them. For a low budget movie this one is done extremely well (Better then Andreas Shanss can ever do) and the acting isn't that bad either. SO in conclusion if you want an over the top gorefest buy this limited edition before its gone.......

5.0 out of 5 stars HELL YEAH!!!, Aug. 29 2003
Peter Jackson. The one who brought us such films as this one, Meet The Feebles, Dead Alive...and then Heavenly Creatures, Forgotten Silver, The Frigteners and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. What a diverse career! All I gotta say is whoa. For those who may not be aware...Bad Taste was Jackson's first film. For those who may not also be aware, it's a total alien invasion splatter-fest. Brains being blown out, guts spilling, vomit ingestion, it's all here. It's a gore freak's wet dream! Granted, though the effects look dated, at the time of it's release, it was GORY!!! I remember feeling sick to my stomach after watching this film. But remember, the effects look dated...so just put yourself back in the mid-to-late 80's, throw your mullet-wig on, get a big 'ol bag of popcorn, sit back and enjoy the first film of Peter Jackson. It's good to the last drop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frodo Would Have Loved It, Aug. 19 2003
Back in 1988 I read an review in a magazine called Gorezone(a brother magazine to Fangoria that called it quits after only a few issues) of a film called Bad Taste and there were a few teaser pictures. It certainly looked unique. I rented it right when it came out and was totally in awe when I watched it. I had never seen anything quite like it. "Monty Python Meets Re-Animator" is how it was described in the magazine. Not totally accurate, but not far off. I illegally dubbed the film and watched it numerous times, showed it to everyone I knew. Sure, it looks like it was made for about thirty bucks, but Jackson managed to get the most out of a budget this small. But I can tell you folks, back in 1988 I could never, ever have guessed that the guy who made this film would make the Lord Of The Rings movies. I thought Jackson would be nothing more than a minor cult figure. None of his films are like LOTR which makes me wonder how he got the job. I'm sure Hollywood execs aren't big on Bad Taste's and Dead Alive's. But this is where it all began, and in my opinion will always be the best film Jackson ever made. If you enjoy wacky humor with your gore, you'd best get your behind down to your local dvd retailer, pronto! Or if you've seen Dead Alive and loved it, and would like to see a more toned down(but just as funny) flipside, then do not hesitate.

2.0 out of 5 stars Whoa...., Aug. 17 2003
C. Kirby "drhuckyit" (Mt Pleasant, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Taste (Widescreen) (DVD)
Funny but not enough to watch again. "Meet the Feebles" is much funnier, sicker, and bound to make anyone who "wants to see the amazing Peter 'Lord of the Rings' Jackson's earlier work" cringe. I saw it on acid my first time and had to go see "Star Wars: Special Edition" in the theater to get my mind off of it. "Bad Taste" is for die hard collectors only.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xc16623fc)

Bad Taste
Bad Taste by Peter Jackson (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 43.23