5.0 out of 5 stars The Ænema of the 80s, July 30 2007
William Brian MacLean "wbm" (Barrie, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vices (Audio CD)
I watched American Psycho recently. When I think about Patrick Bateman & his opinion of Hip to Be Square, I think about how, if I went bats**t homicidal, I'd be explaining to my soon-to-be-victim about how the Vices album by Kick Axe, from way back in '84, is an unrecognized piece of pop-metal genius.

That album (& ONLY that album - they totally pop-rocked-out their 2nd album, Welcome to the Club) is the Ænema of the 80s. The riffs (the sometimes overlapping, sometimes call & response rhythm guitar riffs), the vocal melodies & song arrangements so complex the post-Mighty Like a Rose Elvis Costello should swoon, the call-&-response backup vocals as complex as any other band's lead vocals, the lead guitars melodic enough to sing along to but serious enough to say *cool* about - all of that makes Vices an album was & still is a major event in my life.

But the business they call the Music Industry got to them, like it does to nearly everyone. Therefore, they don't deserve my previous Tool analogy.

I am sad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vices, Jan. 24 2008
Metal Dave (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vices (Audio CD)
Not trying to carbon date myself, but I was in highschool when this album came out. I saw Kick Axe open for Helix at the Max Bell Arena around Christmas time that year. I went to see Helix. I left a changed person for having heard Kick Axe.

This is probably the one single album that I've listened to more times than "Dark Side of the Moon" and it sounds as fresh today as it did throughout the last half of the 80s.

I have to agree though... Kick Axe is an import? And over 100 bucks? I'll have to pull out the vinyl again and fire up the turntable if I can remember where I put it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Vices VS Turn it Loud?, April 24 2013
This review is from: Vices (Audio CD)
This is a *great* album. I generally cannot listen to an entire album from anybody, but I have listened to this one beginning to end virtually every time I get the urge hear Kick Axe. This, and Headpins - Turn It Loud, are tied for my favourite two albums of the eighties, maybe of all time. I got my CD copy from Kick Axe's website around 2009, but in truth, it sounds like it was capped from an excellent vinyl recording; I'd really like to jump all over the true digital release, but $150 is tad steep. Jerry Doucette's Mama Let Him Play & Re-Flex' Politics of Dancing prices have managed to climb into the stratosphere as well. Should've bought them when they were readily available, eh?

5.0 out of 5 stars Kickin', Jan. 25 2005
Dave Craig (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vices (Audio CD)
This is an awesome album from start to finish. I am a little curious as to how an album from a band out of Regina gets called an Import......

ARRAY(0xb07aacc0)

Vices
Vices by Kick Axe (Audio CD - 2000)