4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and uplifting
Published on July 8 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad bad bad movie.
I just wrote a review of How Stella Got Her Groove Back calling it a chick movie but a pretty good chick movie. This is a bad chick movie. This movie is so horrid that you want to know that everyone associated with this movie went on to become plumbers or electricians or anything but actors or actresses or directors or writers.
There is nothing honest about this...
Published on July 3 2000 by Tim Lieder

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad bad bad movie., July 3 2000
Tim Lieder "Founder of Dybbuk Press" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
There is nothing honest about this movie. The main character has a husband die in the first five minutes and she spends the rest of the movie being depressed about it, but you don't like her and you don't like the husband. Gwyneth Paltrow who admittedly was pretty good in Shakespeare in Love and Seven, is truly a horrid actress in this thing. Jon Bon Jovi is used for his physical attributes which is a novelty, but since I am a straight male, I don't really care (although I imagine that if I were a gay male or straight female I would be giving this movie three stars for Bon Jovi alone)
Ultimately a movie in which a bunch of women sit around talking about their feelings - needs some feeling. All these women do is react and speak in the cliches of soap operas. By the end of this movie where they have some kind of pagan ceremony in the grave yard and it rains on them with folk music blaring in the soundtrack you are physically nauseous. Leave this movie alone. Let it rot, let it be forgotten.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and uplifting, July 8 2002
By A Customer
I originally rented this just so see a glimpse of Jeremy Sisto, who I adore in all of his films, but i was surprised to find myself completely swept up by this soft, quiet story of a woman who lost her husband. So true to life, the way she grieves over him. Can't imagine losing my husband so suddenly and swiftly that you feel like all the air's been knocked out of your lungs. Elizabeth Perkins, Whoopi Goldberg and Gwynyth Paltrow all do well in their roles of family/friends who laugh and bicker and live life as best they can while helping each other along the way. Whoopi's marriage is crumbling and Gwynyth is afraid of falling in love, even with Jeremy, who is completely captivating in this movie and only gives me another reason to love it. A really good film to watch alone so you can get immersed in it and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, moving film, Feb. 6 2004
This review is from: Moonlight and Valentino (Widescreen) (DVD)
If you haven't seen this movie yet, buy it. I've owned it for over 5 years. I probably watch it 4-5 times a year. It's one of those relaxing, deep, thoughtful and insightful films which reminds you of what's important in life. Especially as a woman. Friendship, family, love, passions, dreams and living in the moment. Some of the reviews I've read on this site about this film are so vague and generic (and one complete idiot that didn't like it? he/she must not have a soul) that I felt motivated to add my two cents. It's just a lovely, touching and totally female-driven film. What more do you want out of entertainment? Buy a good bottle of fine wine and watch it tonight.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a movie you'll remember for the rest of your life!, Aug. 7 2003
This review is from: Moonlight and Valentino (Widescreen) (DVD)
I loved this movie even tho I went thru a box of kleenex watching it! A very good enactment of the grieving process one
goes thru when losing a loved one so unexpectedly. I wanted to
give Elizabeth Perkins a hug and tell her to "hang in there" that things would get better but Gwyneth Paltrow, Whoopi Goldberg, Kathleen Turner, did it for me! And I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that John Bon Jovi could act! He should do more films, he's good! Not to mention very pleasant to look at! I loved the soundtrack too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Movie, Sept. 24 2000
"dorothyofoz1939" (Terre Haute, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This is a film you do not want to miss. It is packed with comedy and emotion. Not to mention the all-star cast lead by Elizabeth Perkins. She does a wonderful job portraying her character Rebecca who has to deal with the sudden death of her husband. With the help of friends and family, (Goldberg, Turner, and Paltrow) she will find the strength she needs to go on. Be sure and have some tissues handy because Perkins will make you laugh and cry right along with her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific movie, April 29 2001
M. Davis (Phoenix, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this movie (some time ago) because it was great. Many of my friends have seen this because of me and have all agreed with me. Not to mention an AWESOME singer, Alechia James has a song in this movie too. During the scene where Perkins is on her bed shutting the world out crying and such - that's Alechia. I think this is a female movie especially seeing the review one male reviewer gave.

5.0 out of 5 stars A contemporary classic, March 12 2001
"peterdao" (Springfield, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moonlight and Valentino (Widescreen) (DVD)
Any of these girls (Gwyneth Paltrow, Kathleen Turner, Whoopi Goldberg) could well steal the movie from Elizabeth Perkins - but she got it back in the last few minutes. What I meant was they all gave unbelievably great performance. That, and other stuff (camera, music...) made this a must-see for viewers who hate wasting their time on overrated shallow "dramedies".

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GIRLFRIEND MOVIE!, Oct. 16 2001
M. Jolley "Freakin' Gypsy" (Porterville, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This movie is a perfect flick for a group of good girfriends to watch! All of the actresses are amazing in this movie and Jon Bon Jovi adds the "kick" to the cast! This movie has a lot of comedy, honesty, drama, and tear-jerking scenes!
A Must Watch!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not enough Jon Bon Jovi!, March 31 2002
By A Customer
I thought it was a great movie, but I thought the best part of movie was the scenes with Jon Bon Jovi. He really added a missing romantic part to the movie which should have been expanded, especially since he did it so well, and would have added to the movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars What Women Do, Jan. 10 2002
Barbara G. Mcgarey (Duncan, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moonlight and Valentino (Widescreen) (DVD)
Women mark time and changes in their lives in unique ways. These women represent all 'stages' of womanhood. Well done. I loved the way the women all made movement forward in the telling of this story. Tells several stories in an engaging way.

Moonlight and Valentino (Widescreen)
Moonlight and Valentino (Widescreen) by David Anspaugh (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 59.99