5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious performer, wonderful introduction to ballet!
I fell hopelessly in love with Danny Kaye when I was 8 years old, and I'm still crazy about him many years later. . . no other performer of whom I'm aware has ever shown his unique combination of comic virtuousity, tenderness, silliness, physical bravado and dramatic depth.
Published on Dec 22 2003 by Marion Capriotti

3.0 out of 5 stars A good kid's movie
Published on Feb. 6 2003 by Betsy

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious performer, wonderful introduction to ballet!, Dec 22 2003
Marion Capriotti "missmvc" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hans Christian Andersen (Full Screen) (DVD)
He could also really sing, not just comically but straightforwardly, in his naturally rich, sweet lyric-tenor voice. If you really listen to the "Inchworm" song, you will hear just how fine his voice really was.
The ballet sequences in the movie transfixed me as an eight-year-old ballerina wannabe. Maybe they look hokey to present-day grownups, but I bet most kids would immediately understand.
One of the best movies ever!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood joy, adult appreciation!, Feb. 28 2002
Marion Capriotti "missmvc" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
When I was 11 years old, I wanted to marry Danny Kaye when I grew up; my parents kindly explained to me that he was dead. I still don't really believe it, though -- Danny Kaye will always live on in the imaginations of his fans.
No comedian was ever so tender; no romantic actor was ever so silly. Danny Kaye is still my hero, and he always will be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Correction, Dec 15 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Hans Christian Andersen (Full Screen) (DVD)
I'd just like to make a correction on another customer review that I read of this movie. This was not Danny Kaye's last movie. I don't know what was, but in 1954, he did "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby, Vera Ellen and Rosemary Clooney. It's not a really important thing, I suppose, but I just wanted to make sure that the information was correct.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect product, April 12 2013
This item was unexpectedly affordable at $26 for blueray and hardcover booklet. The book is beautifully assembled and very well written, complimenting the movie wonderfully. The Blueray quality is gorgeous, with the technicolour mirroring that of The Wizard of Oz or Marry Poppins. I'd recomment this item to anyone looking for a good home copy of this charming movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it since childhood, March 3 2013
This review is from: Hans Christian Andersen (Full Screen) (DVD)
I am an avid Danny Kaye fan! I have loved this movie since I was a kid! Great story with catchy, fun tunes! I am teaching my little music students the "Inchworm" song to help them learn the concept harmony. I learned it at a young age and I have loved it ever since!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good kid's movie, Feb. 6 2003
HAns Christian andersen is a good movie. Andersen (Danny Kaye) is a cobbler who can't stop telling stories for the little kiddies. This gets him in trouble with the top bananas in town, who vote to have him run out for making kids miss school. Andersen moves to Copenhagen, falls in love with a beautiful french ballerina, and gets himself famous for his stories, all the while going from song to song with true Kaye spirit. It was a good movie, but not one to be overly thrilled about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical story telling!!, Feb. 1 2003
Gregory Nyman (Winchendon, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Danny Kaye is Hans Christian Andersen. There's no doubt about it after you see this film. His portrayal of this writer is winsome and magical, and the songs he weaves coming from the stories he writes and reads cause the children everywhere to want to get out of their classrooms and go the town square or valley to hear him tell them.
The one spot I had difficulty with was with the scenes where Hans falls in love with the ballerina, and while it may have some historicity, I found it a little distracting. But this is a small thing, and overall, this is a marvelous film and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best kid's musical ever!!, Dec 3 2002
This review is from: Hans Christian Andersen (Full Screen) (DVD)
I was thrilled to find this on DVD! I watched this as a child and now my children watch it with me!! My oldest daughter now wants to be a ballerina! I recommend this to children young and old. Who could resist watching such an outstanding actor as Danny Kaye!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loveable (if long), Aug. 27 2002
Ejames LIEBERMAN (Potomac, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
A fan of Danny Kaye for life, I viewed this with grandchildren 8 and 4 who stuck with it despite some long ballet passages and a contrived plot. There are a number of touching scenes, good songs, and of course wonderful stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Kaye, March 18 2002
"maddyd" (Tucson, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hans Christian Andersen (Full Screen) (DVD)
I don't know if this one is a 'must have' for everyone, but it is for me. Technicolor, Danny Kaye, and music that just takes me right back to childhood.
This is one your kids should see!

ARRAY(0xaf2c1174)

Hans Christian Andersen (Full Screen)
Hans Christian Andersen (Full Screen) by Charles Vidor (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 44.99