5.0 out of 5 stars Just excellent

Published on Feb. 9 2003 by imdoctormindy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just excellent, Oct. 29 2002
This review is from: Conditioning for Athletes - Dv (DVD)
I have a lot of back problems, but I love jogging, cycling and swimming. I have found out that doing yoga 3 times a week allows me to do all these sports that I love so much. I took part in a 5k race about 2 years ago, and I hurt my back really bad. I got this DVD about 3 months ago, started using it (about 3 times per week), and started training at the same time for another 5k race. I did the 5k race, and the difference was incredible. I was perfect the next day. Yoga has made a huge difference for my back. Also, I would like to add, this DVD has several "mini-routines" targeted to specific sports (jogging, tennis, swimming, cycling, golf, others), every time I go jogging around my house, my back is always hurting a little bit, as soon as I do the "jogging mini-routing", the pain is gone. Something very good about this dvd too,is the fact that is divided in several parts, so it's like having several dvd's. I really recommend it. I wouldn't say that it's for beginners, you must have some practice. Another plus... his voice, it is sooo relaxing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD, Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: Conditioning for Athletes - Dv (DVD)
My son is a Triathlete and he uses this DVD regularly to help him with strength conditioning, stretching and relaxation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A healing tape, June 20 2001
This review is from: Conditioning for Athletes - Dv (DVD)
At the beginning of the video Rodney Lee explains that this video will enhance (not replace) your athletic training and create balance. I can't recommend this tape enough. Rodney is the perfect instructor. He doesn't distract from the yoga by gasping/talking through the whole tape like Denise Austen and adding superfulous comments like "feel your body" and "doesn't it feel good". BLACH! He concentrates on the moves and he uses simple instructions and voice over to narrate.
I run marathons and half marathons, which means running and lifting weights daily--I also rock climb, trail run, and hike.
I did this tape for the first time Sunday and could not believe how good it felt. Just doing the tape once released years of tension. My body was literally humming. I went for one of the best runs of my life the next day. I was fast, agile, and experience no fatigue on a five mile run w/ a 7:30/ mile pace w/ hills. I can't believe what a difference it made.

5.0 out of 5 stars A workout for everybody, Aug. 31 2001
This review is from: Conditioning for Athletes - Dv (DVD)
I practice yoga 4+ times a week with classes or videos. Rodney Yee leads a very well explained and demonstrated hour of yoga. I have fibromyalgia, chronic bilateral hip bursitis, and vertigo, yet was able to do and enjoy this tape (naturally, my poses don't reach the level of Yee's). An excellent all over workout. pt

3.0 out of 5 stars Won't condition a serious athlete, Feb. 9 2003
"imdoctormindy" (Albany, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I have a number of other yoga tapes that I use and thought that this would be a good one since I am a runner and triathlete. I am not even a very competitive athlete, and I still found this tape to be not very challenging. I was expecting a tape geared at athletes to be more challenging than standard yoga tapes, and it was not. It is far easier than the other tapes I have. If you are a beginner, this would be a good tape because it does not use more advanced poses, however there are times that it seems Rodney Yee assumes you should know the position names already, so be alert for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars This practice has helped me progress in Yoga, Sept. 25 2002
I began a yoga practice with other Living Arts tapes 21 months ago, and started attending a weekly practice session a year ago. Bought Yoga Conditioning for Athletes about four months ago. Occasionally I go back and do the Introduction and Beginners tapes. I believe that this Rodney Yee tape has helped me progress noticably, particularly in hip opening and those most difficult standing and seated forward bends. This practice is not too easy, not too long, but seems to me just right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great yoga/stretching for EVERYONE, not just athletes!, Aug. 12 2002
Let me begin by saying that I am definitely NOT an athlete; I do work out regularly at home (with a recumbent bike and strength/yoga videos), but I've never participated in any kind of sports activity. However, I borrowed this video from the library after someone recommended to me as a good overall yoga tape, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't need to be an athlete to complete the workout.
Instructor Rodney Yee begins the workout with a 10-minute stretching segment using a chair. These are more traditional moves rather than yoga type moves, and they focus particularly on opening up the hips and hamstrings. Although I'm not at all flexible, I was able to do all of the stretches without modifications, but Rodney works out with a woman and another man, both of whom offer modifications if necessary. After the stretching segment, Rodney moves on to approximately 20 minutes of standing yoga poses. I particularly enjoyed this section and found it to be better than other yoga tapes I've tried, mainly because Rodney holds each pose longer, explaining how to increase your flexibility and move further into the pose over time. The standing toning is followed by 10-15 minutes of yoga moves on the floor consisting mainly of forward bends and twists. Finally, there is a 5-minute relaxation segment at the end.
This tape certainly IS appropriate for athletes, especially since throughout the workout, Rodney talkes about how the exercises will benefit your athletic performance. However, for those us who aren't athletes, this is an excellent, easy-to-follow yoga/stretching tape with an emphasis on flexibility and balance. I would say that virtually all of the moves are appropriate for beginners; however, because Rodney does not explain how to do the yoga poses--he simply gives the name of each pose--some prior familiarly with basic yoga would be helpful, but watching the entire tape before performing it should also be adequate. Rodney is an excellent instructor, and I found him to be pleasantly slower-paced and less new-agey on this video versus the others in the Living Arts series.
For beginners, I would definitely recommend this tape over Living Arts' "Yoga Practice for Flexibility"--although that is touted as a beginner's tape, I found about half the workout to be undoable for someone at my level. I highly recommend "Yoga Conditioning for Athletes" for anyone looking to increase their flexibility and balance, athletes or otherwise.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Stretch Before Working Out, Aug. 8 2002
S. E. Nelson "NELZ" (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
This is the yoga tape I use the most. It is one of the few targeted yoga tapes that succeeds. It stresses stretching the back, hips and thighs and I often use it to stretch out before lifting weights or playing basketball. After a good opening and middle section, I found the seated on the floor section a bit weak. I have been previously critical of Yee's very short abdominal yoga tape but compared to that and some others I have, this one is a winner. Had Yee tacked the abdominal workout onto the end of this tape, it easily would have been a 5 star selection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tape, not for Beginners, May 14 2002
"dewittc" (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
We really enjoyed this tape but it is NOT for beginners. It moves quickly and assumes you already know the positions. A great tape for intermediate use that focuses on stretching commonly used sport muscles.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite yoga video, April 4 2002
"qtie" (Mason, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This is my absolute number #1 favorite yoga video I own. Great for beginners or not so beginner and for athlete or non-athlete. Rodney explains the poses but keeps it interesting. This video turned my husband onto yoga.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Conditioning for Athletes - Dv
Conditioning for Athletes - Dv by Gaiam: Yoga (DVD - 2002)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 18.05