summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: DVD|Change

on October 29, 2002
I have a lot of back problems, but I love jogging, cycling and swimming. I have found out that doing yoga 3 times a week allows me to do all these sports that I love so much. I took part in a 5k race about 2 years ago, and I hurt my back really bad. I got this DVD about 3 months ago, started using it (about 3 times per week), and started training at the same time for another 5k race. I did the 5k race, and the difference was incredible. I was perfect the next day. Yoga has made a huge difference for my back. Also, I would like to add, this DVD has several "mini-routines" targeted to specific sports (jogging, tennis, swimming, cycling, golf, others), every time I go jogging around my house, my back is always hurting a little bit, as soon as I do the "jogging mini-routing", the pain is gone. Something very good about this dvd too,is the fact that is divided in several parts, so it's like having several dvd's. I really recommend it. I wouldn't say that it's for beginners, you must have some practice. Another plus... his voice, it is sooo relaxing.
on June 20, 2001
At the beginning of the video Rodney Lee explains that this video will enhance (not replace) your athletic training and create balance. I can't recommend this tape enough. Rodney is the perfect instructor. He doesn't distract from the yoga by gasping/talking through the whole tape like Denise Austen and adding superfulous comments like "feel your body" and "doesn't it feel good". BLACH! He concentrates on the moves and he uses simple instructions and voice over to narrate.
I run marathons and half marathons, which means running and lifting weights daily--I also rock climb, trail run, and hike.
I did this tape for the first time Sunday and could not believe how good it felt. Just doing the tape once released years of tension. My body was literally humming. I went for one of the best runs of my life the next day. I was fast, agile, and experience no fatigue on a five mile run w/ a 7:30/ mile pace w/ hills. I can't believe what a difference it made.
on January 27, 2001
If you're an athlete, you'd be foolish to pass Yoga for Athletes by. It's really one of the best yoga or stretch videos I've ever tried, and I think I've tried them all!
I'm an advanced-level fitness buff who has always considered myself to be pretty flexible..... Hah! .... It took Yoga for Athletes ("YFA") to show me how much tension I carried in my hips, legs and lower back. I'm humbled! It is, as the title suggests, ideal for opening up the pockets of tension that runners, bicyclists, and other athletes accumulate over time.
YFA is not at all a strenuous workout and it doesn't move at bullet-train speed (as with Rodney Yee's Power Yoga for Stamina or David Swenson & Bryan Kest's power yoga series). YFA lets you hold the stretches for a cozy length of time before you move on to the next pose. It should appeal to any garden variety athlete, even the New Age adverse, because is it a fairly straightforward yoga video with little mysticism.
Be careful, though. While the YFA postures aren't difficult for fit beginners, it can tax your range of flexibility if you aren't careful. Mr. Yee and his two yoga cohorts demonstrate different levels of flexibility. Follow their example. Respect your body's signals and don't push it past its range of flexibility -- be humble! This workout will help you extend your range of flexibility in time.
Overall, a superb 5-star yoga workout that you shouldn't miss.
on July 13, 2001
I have purchased or borrowed about 15 yoga tapes. This one is by far the most used....I LOVE Rodney Yee.... What appeals to me about THIS video are the following: NO tedious, boring, endless, repetitious, sun salutations. NO inversions. NO arm balances or really difficult back bends. There are modifications given that are presented during the tape (not after, or in little pop-ups) - the models demonstrate them as the tape rolls.
What it does have is this: really great hip openers & twists. The pace is good yet not so fast that I don't feel like I get something out of each pose. Rodney Yee is a great instructor, not irritating as several I have found ... It isn't power yoga. I don't enjoy sweating when I practice, I want to feel stretched and relaxed. This tape does that without making me feel at 39 that I'm so ancient I can't keep up with the young folks.
on August 31, 2001
I practice yoga 4+ times a week with classes or videos. Rodney Yee leads a very well explained and demonstrated hour of yoga. I have fibromyalgia, chronic bilateral hip bursitis, and vertigo, yet was able to do and enjoy this tape (naturally, my poses don't reach the level of Yee's). An excellent all over workout. pt
on January 23, 2001
I was looking for an inexpensive introduction to yoga that wouldn't frustrate my desire to exert myself while satisfying my need for a more "centering" (spiritual) workout. I found it in this well-crafted video! As a yoga beginner (however strong & flexible I may be), I was pleased with the careful attention paid to correct body position and basic yoga (breathing, feeling, etc.) principles. After renting it twice, I'm now buying it for myself and my sister. I'll need to take yoga classes eventually to ensure proper body positioning and to elaborate on yoga principles -but this is a great alternative to pricey classes for now.
on February 12, 2001
This is a good entry level video for the athlete who is feeling too tight and out of sync. The multiple variations are an excellant addition. Unquestionably, they will aid in balancing flexibility with strength which will aid in athletic performance. Rodney Yee is an excellent instructor. Proper attention is placed on the breath as is essential for true yoga. In as far as the conditioning workout that it promises, it falls short. One is better off with Brian Quest or similar videos.None the less this video has it's place and is a good starting place.
on January 18, 2001
I found this video tape to be exhilirating and relaxing - easy to follow as there are 3 modifications to each pose (3 people in video, including Rodney Yee).
The scenery is beautiful (Hawaii) and I recommend this to anyone who wants to improve their flexibility and conditioning. It's a good way to relieve stress and gain energy.
Not just for atheletes!
on May 18, 2001
As a competitive tennis player and runner, I've had my share of aches and pains. But since I started using this tape, I've been injury free. I've given this tape to a number of my athlete friends when they complained about a sports injury and have converted them all. If you are a serious athlete, you must own this tape.
on February 13, 2001
I found this to be a surprisingly gentle yoga tape. You don't have to be an athlete to do it. It really concentrates on realigning your back and re-centering your body.