5.0 out of 5 stars It is beautiful too!
Published on June 2 2012 by C. Preston

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Canadian version
Folks, for the love of god, don't buy this version of beautiful midnight. Buy the Canadian one. Don't get me wrong, if you can't afford the import, just buy this album anyway. But, for some seriously [whacked out] reason, MGB's record company thought it would be a good idea to replace "Going all the way" and "I miss new wave" with [songs] like Deep Six and Apparitions. I...
Published on Dec 12 2001 by jackripper66

5.0 out of 5 stars It is beautiful too!, June 2 2012
C. Preston "Tunes Junkie" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beautiful Midnight (Audio CD)
There is not much left to say about Matthew Good Band or Matthew Good that hasn't already been said. I personally think that MGB was simply one of the bands that was under-rated although they were a huge success and Matthew Good still is. However, sometimes I think that's good because they have relevance even still looking back on the body of work that they did. I think over time others around the world will hook onto their music & Matthew Good's own solo work & will say "where have you been all my life"! They are quintessensially one of the best rock bands to have come along the way. On this CD again Matthew Good's vocals really define the core of this band. Their musical interpretations for each piece in hindsight made me realize how much MG's presence in this band was vital. When he went solo & wrote his own individual songs you could clearly see where the genius of the construction of the songs came from. Below I'm including some of my favorites on this CD!

1.Strange Days: My favorite song on this CD..love the acoustic work in this song. The lyrics are poignantly written & articulated. To me this song is a classic MGB song from beginning to end. It has some dark lyrics but MG is known for that; coupled with the brilliant musical construction of his songs it leaves me gasping at how he can bring a song to a complete circle effect using dark lyrics but the most beautiful musical instrumental interpretations. Yeah MGB!

2.Deep Six: I love the intro to this song...has a mysterious effect to it. Love the lyrics....sounds like what alot of young teenage lads are thinking at that period in their life. I always love the echo effect of his voice which he uses in alot of his songs & it never gets old. I love the changes and use of the drums in this song which maintain the tempo changes in this song.

3.Suburbia: The electric guitar sounds so great on this track...it isn't in your face just the right mix in the intro. His voice sounds like it is going to be a beautiful love song....but ends up being a song about how he feels like if he was famous enough he could have that "girl"...hmmm...maybe the one that got away. This song had some nice harmonies & I liked how they didn't change the rhythm of the song...it just kept going along so beautifully. I've come to like this song more over time than I had when I first listened to the CD.....which reminds me I need to move this song onto my favorite playlist! Ha! Ha!

4.Let's Get It On: One of the best rock songs I think that has ever been constructed; that didn't get enough notice or radio play in my estimation. It is like a teenage angst anthem to me...his voice is just nothing short of sublime! Love all the instruments in this song...it's banging! (No pun intended! Ha! Ha!) I love how he changes up his voice to some soft subtle vocal arrangements deviating from the rock intensities in other sections. The guitar work & drum work is just the best in this song. I just want to say after hearing it...yes...let's get it on! Ha! Ha!

5.Born To Kill: This is a testament to how a rock song should be built, executed, sung, written....produced...everything about it is perfection. To the killer ending to this song instrumentally which just had me wanting more, more, more. The intro to this song is just electric guitar personified in it's subtlety...his voice eluding to a story waiting to be told....I felt like I was floating to those intro words...! Then bam.....the slamming guitar work driving you into the song & keeping you interested from bridge to bridge, chorus to chorus. The harmonies on this track were really good as was all the instrumentation. Then comes his haunting voice again sounding just so strong to penetrate your soul. The percussion work in this song was awesome and when that ending instrumental work begins your brain is taken on a journey you didn't even know existed in potential from listening to a song! You think it's over and then BAM...there they go again...to a climax that well I think has been rarely done or been even conceived..it's like a rock orchestral performance...still gives me the chills (even now as I'm listening to it again).....only one word to say on this one folks.....WOW!

6.Running For Home: I love the piano work in this song. He's so good at switching up from guitar/s to piano arrangements like this song. The lyrics are so haunting and the harmonies on this track are really good! Love the soft spots! I liked the other instruments in this song as well; sounded like some string arrangements that gave the song some additional instrumental structure. It is just simply put "hauntingly beautiful"!

Well kids those are my fav's on this CD...check it out...& also check out Matthew Good's solo work which I think is even better than MGB stuff! Enjoy.....& cheers to the Weekend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Matt Writes What I Think So I Don't Have To, Nov. 12 2001
Rachel Emmer (Bakersfield, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Midnight (Audio CD)
All I can say is Wow about this album. Tracks like "Apparitions", "Suburbia", and "Strange Days" fill in your moody side while "Hello Time Bomb" and "Load Me Up" help you through your angry moments. "Running For Home" is almost not even a song, it's rather just a pure emotion injected into your mind. The piano accompaniment makes that track a masterpiece. In a time where music is a big black hole of soulless pop and meaningless rock, Matthew Good Band comes in to save the day. The guy is a song-writing master, and everyone should be thankful that he decided to be in a band instead of being a history teacher. The hyperCD feature is a plus which allows you access special stuff on your computer. The only drawback is the fact that the version of the CD released in the US lost some of it's original Canadian tracks and were instead replaced with "Apparitions" "Deep Six" and "Everything is Automatic" from Underdogs. While they are definitely good songs, it detracts from the overall product of what was supposed to be a concept album. (That's the single reason why I gave this four stars instead of five.) I still emphatically push Beautiful Midnight for anyone who likes music with substance. Being that I don't have a car, I walk around town a lot. This album is practically permanently cemented to my Discman for when I'm walking around. I steal lines from their songs and write them on the walls of my room. I used to think the best band to come from Canada was the Barenaked Ladies, but Matthew Good Band is presenting BNL with some serious competition. Go buy this album! Now!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have!, Jan. 30 2001
"frankhejl" (Ennis, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Midnight (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant cd that will NOT dissapoint you! Those who have never heard of MGB should definately buy this cd. The songs are beautiful and dark and the lyrics are brilliant! The real jewel of this album in my opinion is Born To Kill which has an ending consisting of Orchestral Mahem laced with Feedback soaked Guitars! It's Perfect! I have all the cds on Import and they were ALL well worth the money. I also have the US version of Beautiful Midnight, which dosent gel together as well as the Canadian one since I Miss New Wave, Let's Get It On and Going All The Way is not on there. But regardless it is still a PERFECT cd. I Highly reccomend this cd if you are a true music fan or are just someone looking for some new good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The US killed this CD., Oct. 28 2002
donna h. johnson (concord, nc United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Midnight (Audio CD)
Alright, if you're like me, you want to get the best of the artist that you're listening to. If you want the best version of 'Beautiful Midnight', and you live in America, DO NOT go out and buy this alblum in this country. They've butchered it. "Let's Get it On", "I Miss New Wave", and "Going All the Way" are missing. This really pisses me off. Granted, they are replaced by three other very good songs ("Everything is Automatic", "Apparitions, and "Deep 6ix") but if you plan on buying the alblum 'Underdogs', then you're going to get yourself...over by three very good songs. What they were thinking when they took out these songs, I do not know. ..Other than that, no complaints on this CD, I could listen to it until the day I die. Matt Good is my hero =D

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cd ever made, Nov. 9 2005
This review is from: Beautiful Midnight (Audio CD)
It both confuses and irritates me to no end how people have either never heard of the master that is Matthew Good and those that have pay him little respect. More finely tuned than Underdogs and Last of the Ghetto Astronauts, Beautiful Midnight is a definitive record that incredible, later records such Avalanche and Audio of Being can not surmount. Unlike other cds, the bands key tracks are not those played on the radio. It features gritty and edgy songs such as Load Me Up, Hello Time Bomb and Failing the Rosarach Testor and truly beautiful tunes such as Suburbia, Running for Home and Going All the Way. Matt words ring true in every one of his songs with no two sounding the same. A Boy and his Machine Gun, The Future is X-Rated and I Miss New Wave actually challenge the listener and encourage them to think. Unfortunately, despite it being a truly superb cd, people will continue to dump on Matt simply because he is actually a smart musician and is not afraid to speak his mind. Although the band is no more, Matt has still managed to captivate me and countless others with his solo work and will undoubtedly continue to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars The unsung saviors of music., May 24 2004
This review is from: Beautiful Midnight (Audio CD)
For a while I was really losing faith in music. Honestly, It was about five years ago and I was living in the midst of the Backstreet Boys explosion and hope was looking dim. Fortunately we got a satellite dish installed around the same time and I stubbled upon MuchMusic. One day I came home and the video for "strange days" came on. I was completely mesmerized. I have been a Matthew Good Band fan from that moment on. "Strange days" is just one of many excellent songs on this album. If your new to MGB I would highly recomend that you start with "Beautiful Midnight". It gives you a wonderful perspective into their range as a band. The greastest thing that you may discover however, is their deepth of subject matter. I would tell you but I don't want to spoil the songs with what I believe to be there messages. With that aside, this is an amazing album and is almost guarenteed to get you hooked.(not everyone is the same)Pick this album up if you're a fan of intelligent and textured alterative(for lack of a better word) new doors will be opened.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, May 6 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Beautiful Midnight (Audio CD)
One of the best, most underated albums I own. Matthew Good band's time is coming. There are a lot of good songs on this album, and for someone that is mainly into metal, that is a big compliment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!!!!!!!!!, Feb. 21 2004
Mike Badger (Richmond, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Midnight (Audio CD)
The Matthew Good Band is amazing. I love every song on the album Beautiful Midnight. My favorite songs include apparitions, load me up, and strange days. Every musician in the band is very talented. They are amazing!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Music of All time, Sept. 22 2003
Andy Bouffard (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Midnight (Audio CD)
I'd like to begin by saying that Matthew Good Band's Beautiful Midnight album is on HMV's "International" greatest music of all time list. And that's just what it is. Every song on this record is suitable to be a single, it is either inspirational or amazingly dark and intriguing. And a few are really great rock songs. My favorites (and I use that term lightly because i can call them all favorites) are Giant along with The Future is X-Rated and Born to Kill. Pick this recored up today it is simply an amazing creation of Canada's greatest musician.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matt Good is as good as it gets, Feb. 13 2003
Brian Mack (Rochester, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Midnight (Audio CD)
Matt Good is the most talented lyricist I have heard in a long time. I am tired of the empty words of most songs by bands today. Good's lyrics are dark, but he also sprinkles the darkness with rays of hope. Get this CD. You will not be disappointed.

Beautiful Midnight
Beautiful Midnight by Matthew Good Band (Audio CD - 2001)