5.0 out of 5 stars a dark and beautiful dream
Published on Jan. 7 2003 by Jody Schiesser

3.0 out of 5 stars No Such Place nearly satisfies.
The album had a good feel from start to finish but never seems to deliver. I think it needs a little more Johnny Cash and a little less, I don't know, pop.
Published on June 12 2001 by Coby M Harrod

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a dark and beautiful dream, Jan. 7 2003
Jody Schiesser "interplanetary cowboy" (Savannah, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Such Place (Audio CD)
Two albums that I've been listening to through the past six months that have had particular lasting value include Califone's "Roomsound" and this one, Jim White's "No Such Place." Both seem to touch a deep chord with the myth of the vast open American country, the roads and the mountains and the cornfields, and the unique people that popular the nooks and crannies of this nation. These are people that wear an archetypal mask, and one might say they are joined with their story so well one can't tell if what you see is a mask, or their true face.
In this music, the context is the story of America, its dark and beautiful dream.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Warped, Dec 7 2002
Larry White (AdultPop.com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Such Place (Audio CD)
Jim White, no relation, is as an eccentric, innovative, and refreshing new artist as we've heard in a while. He, along with a small contigent of talented producers, appears to have invented a new musical hybrid-- a combination of 'country' and so-called 'trip-hop' (itself a hybrid), which we shall hereby dub 'countryp-hop'(unless someone has beaten us to it or found a better name). White writes songs that bear a melodic resemblance to country music. Then he bends them lyrically and sonically into beautifully warped gems. To get what we mean, you need only to listen to his one cover. It is a version of "King of the Road", a road where Roger Miller collides with Tom Waits. Although this no longer makes it Top Ten material, it is every bit as catchy and much more provocative than Miller's original. The instruments employed on the album-- kalimba, melodium, celeste, toy flute, sitar, etc--are not the usual array for country music. And when the 'usual' are used--dobro, banjo, mandolin, etc--it is in a totally new and imaginative way. Now some of this is just a tad too strange for these ears to 'get', but we may just keep hitting "repeat" until we do.

5.0 out of 5 stars No such place in corporate musicdom, Nov. 3 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: No Such Place (Audio CD)
I have been a fan since I first heard him live as a warm up act for the headliner he blew away. If you like his music, you must see him live and be prepared that the song performances may be vastly altered from the recorded versions. Unlike others, Jim is willing to experiment with his compositions rather than mimic them. If this type of attitude appeals to you and you are open to non-commercialized music with a dark underlying humor, buy this cd and you will enjoy it for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars "...love is a tale, told by idiots...", Oct. 31 2002
ShakenBeef (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Such Place (Audio CD)
Jim White is a genius. I know a buncha smart people, but when I finally saw him live it occured to me that this guy is just on another level. No Such Place is reflective of that intelligence, sure, but it works emotionally and psychically as well. White is a silver voiced storyteller, taking his listener on a guided tour of jilted loves (powerful women) and lost cars (emasculated men). Songs such as "Wound That Never Heals" are so evocative of the south, it's like musical transcription of a Faulkner story, or maybe Cormac McCarthy. There are some incredibly strong moments, like "Wrong Kind of Love", "Ghost Town of My Brain" and the incredible "Corvair". There are also some weaker moments, like "God Was Drunk When He Made Me". Overall, the slick production and the subtlety and lyrical gold mine make this just a fantastic, robust, textured album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical Bliss, Oct. 2 2002
Michael S. Bryant (Huntersville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Such Place (Audio CD)
This CD starts out with the cheeky number "Handcuffed to a fence in Mississippi" which instantly grabs you. Not only for the catchy mixture of an almost alternative rockabilly sound but by the lyrical minglings that are far too captivating to be overcome even by great music.
It is quickly followed by a beautifully haunting number called "The wound that never heals" and "Corvair" which probably has more interpretations than I could list. I loved the old muted steel wound string guitar he uses in that number.
By the second listen I was inescapably hooked on almost every track on this CD. Very highly recommended.
PS: Thanks to J. Graham for introducing me to the far too unknown lyrical genius, Jim White.

5.0 out of 5 stars There Is Such A Place, And You Want To Go There, July 18 2002
The Orange Duke "orangeduke" (Cupertino, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Such Place (Audio CD)
Exceptional album by a musical marvel. Jim White mixes Hip Hop, folk, country and rock in a delightful, irresistible musical soundscape that is as accessible as it is brilliant. Mixing the likes of Handsome Family, Jude and Steve Forbert, Jim White deserves stardom that will doubtless never come. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Especially good are 'Handcuffed To A Fence In Mississippi', 'The Wound That Never Heals' and '10 Miles To Go On A Nine Mile Road'. A special shout to Suzanne Grippaldi for pointing me in White's direction. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Such Place, April 4 2002
That Hated Guy (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Such Place (Audio CD)
No Such Place sits on my shelf next to Ride this Train, by Johnny Cash, and Frank's WIld Years, by Tom Waits.
With only one album (I've yet to give his first disk a good listen, but will soon) he has made my very short list of artists who have truly moved me.
Hell, even my wife likes it and she hates my musical tastes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD of 2001...bar none, Sept. 22 2001
J. Polsgrove "tucson_deadhead" (Uh, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Such Place (Audio CD)
I gotta admit, I thunk that the '97 debut of Jim White, Wrong-Eyed Jesus, was the best album ever recorded. And considerin' sophomore efforts are supposed to fall short (witness Gillian Welch...), J.W.'s "No Such Place" has just flat-out blown me away. From the opening track, "Handcuffed to a Fence in Mississippi" through "Corvair" (and Corvair Reprise), and "God Was Drunk When He Made Me," Jim plays with sonic on a level not seen since Beck Hanson's Odelay days. The music is subtle, surreal, and REALLY calls for headphones to enjoy the intricate structure and sonic effects. If Jim never releases another CD, the two he's cut so far will definitely earn him a rightful place in the pantheon of "Greatest Damn Songwriters" on the face of the earth. Buy this CD! I got it the same week I picked up Dylan's new CD, which is also very, very good, but "No Such Place" has spent three times as much time in my CD player as the excellent new Dylan release (sorry, Bob...).
Five stars, and worth every darn one of 'em!
Jac in Tucson

4.0 out of 5 stars a postcard from some alternative universe, Aug. 19 2001
m_noland "m_noland" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Such Place (Audio CD)
In some of his novels, William Gibson has characters, not particularly cultured or sophisticated, who find themselves in situations involving technology and forces with which they are not prepared. Somebody named Jim White may exist contemporaneously in the same universe as me; he may have once been a taxi driver; he may get played on the radio; a couple of the tracks on this CD may have been produced by Morcheeba, which is a British band consisting of two brothers and a singer. All of this is too limiting.
I prefer to approach this disk as a work of science fiction ï¿ the diary of one of Gibsonï¿s products of white trash inbreeding encountering situations for which he is unprepared. This enlarges the zone of empathy and dulls oneï¿s instinct to criticize the indulgent. As a postcard from some alternative universe it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Surprise, Aug. 4 2001
This review is from: No Such Place (Audio CD)
Is it any wonder that David Byrne considers Jim White "genius"...? I read an article about Mr. Jim White in "GQ" of all places. Amusing article... Decent conversation about the artist and the music. Purchased the album on a whim and it has become my "Brian Wilson's: Sgt. Pepper's." Brilliant use of poetic languange and folk-centric imagination. The lyrics range from common sense to strangely philosophical--offering clever, inspired, and poignant takes on the day to day. To say the least: Insightful and honest. The music is simple (but that seems insulting) and perfectly appropriate to convey White's every point of view. I've never heard better use of the banjo to provide haunting backdops. Combine that with incredible lyrical timing, the occasional backbeat, and off-kilter samples, and you're reeling. Catchy and intelligent music to listen to--Easily one of my favorites.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

No Such Place
No Such Place by Jim White (Audio CD - 2001)