5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year?
Published on Oct. 12 2001 by Mrs. B. Lawrence

3.0 out of 5 stars Sexy Voice, But ...
Published on March 20 2003 by Barbara J. Chaplin

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year?, Oct. 12 2001
Mrs. B. Lawrence (Hilton, KZN South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
Buy it!! That's all I can urge you to do to experience a musical experience that goes way beyond enjoyment!!. Garou's deep, husky voice tints every song with a hint of naive sexuality. The best song on the album is "L'adieu" with it's heart-wrenching lyrics which will not leave you dry-eyed even if you don't understand French. "L'amour est violent" has hints of Jim Steinman/Meatloaf and the tender duet he sings with Celine Dion "Sous le vent" shows the vocal variety and emotional range displayed by this newcomer to the musical world. Garou is a rising star who will rank with people such as Bryan Adams (Adams also wrote one of the songs on this album) and Sting. The songs differ in beat, melody and atmosphere and there is something for everyone. Get it: you won't be sorry!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great album!!, June 29 2003
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
When I studied in France in 2001, Garou was huge (maybe still is?) and you heard his music everywhere. Now everytime I listen to this album, it brings back fond memories. I love almost every song on this album (not too fond of Criminel and Gambler though). You'll love this album too if you're into pop ballads like those of Celine Dion. The lyrics are so beautiful, but even if you don't speak French, the music alone is worth buying the album. Garou has a very unique, sexy voice (and image :-)) and I would say that this album is definitely worth your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars just another review, April 7 2003
alexandria (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
Garou is an extremely talented singer! It was his role in Notre Dame, which is brilliant by the way, that led me to listen to Seul. His voice is low and gravelly but it's beautiful and pure masculinity in my opinion. Perhaps some of the songs on the album are a bit too "pop-ish" but give the man a break - it's his first album and I think he did a great job with it. Anyway, the songs aren't as important as the way he sings them - with a lot of passion and heart! I'm enjoying it :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sexy Voice, But ..., March 20 2003
Barbara J. Chaplin (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
I like the first song, 'Gitan', very much, but the rest of the album is basically standard, histrionic Euro-pop, very much like Celine Dion, Eros Ramazzotti, or Laura Pausini. 'Sous le vent', in fact, is a duet with Dion. To give you an idea of his approach: Rene Angelil, Dion's husband and manager, manages Garou. Like Ricky Martin, a lot of Garou's appeal is based on his physical attributes (which are considerable.)
However, I like his voice - it's low, growly, and sexy. He definitely can sing, and belts out these pop songs with a lot of emotion.
Garou is a French-Canadian singer from Quebec who sings in French. The French lyrics are included in the packaging (thank you, Sony), without any English translation. His first wide exposure came when he played Quasimodo in the musical 'Notre-Dame de Paris', and 'Seul' is his first solo album.
The cd's sound quality is very good, and the musicians are fine. The voice is great; I just wish he had chosen to sing different songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garou is Great, Feb. 22 2002
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
This is a superb example of exellent song writing, wonderful singing and great arrangements. However, be warned that Garou has a gravelly voice and if you're expecting something "pretty" you're going to be sorely disappointed. With that said, I love his voice: It's so quintisentially French and his interpretations are examples of really fine musicianship. I've listened to this CD many times and I'm hoping this amazing singer will be better known. I look forward to his next CD.

3.0 out of 5 stars good as Notre Dame de Paris, Oct. 3 2001
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
When I was in Paris, "Seul" got a great hit. I started listening to him, after I had watched "Notre Dame de Paris." At first I did not like his voice because I prefered the voice much clearer, I mean more classic style. However the more I listened to his voice, I started liking. The pop is pop --- so of couse the more you listen to this, the more you will get tired of it. However this CD has nice lyrics, so you need to spend more time to get tired of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good singer., July 24 2002
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
I totally recomment Garou to anyone who hears French music, His voice is a little low,but he really puts feeling into the songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, Jan. 1 2013
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
My second cd of his, and I love his voice, he is very talented, and although it is in french it really doesn't matter his talent is great and I probably will purchase more of his music. His sound is different and probably why I love it so.. For me I love this cd.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheeze and a Hot Dog ?, March 4 2003
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
This CD is soo cheezy that you cannot get pass the production. If you are searching for a good francophone product. I suggest CDs from CELINE DION "DEUX" or anything by BRUNO PELLETIER or SYLVAIN COSETTE. This CD has the SONY stamp all over it and sounds like it should be used as audition material for STAR SEARCH. Very cheezy !

1.0 out of 5 stars Just another pop singer..., Jan. 7 2003
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
...as if there weren't enough already... I would recommend it to a 13-year-old girl though - something to cry over after a quarrel with a boyfriend...
A message to all the others: don't waste your money. It isn't worth it. Really.

Seul
Seul by Garou (Audio CD - 2000)