5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on July 4 2005 by Evan Millar

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat listenable....
Published on Oct. 6 2003 by Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, July 4 2005
Evan Millar (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fixed (Audio CD)
"Fixed", in all it's glory, is one of the best remix albums I've ever heard by any artist. I've seen a great deal of people complaining about this EP being too noisy and chopped-up. The same people then go and praise Further Down the Spiral, which to me makes no sense at all. Where Further Down the Spiral is more collected, it perfectly captured the essence of The Downward Spiral in all its entirety. However, it was still extremely experimental. I actually found some songs on Further Down the Spiral more "noisy" then Fixed. Broken was intended to be a dirty, menacing, and ugly album. So when it came time to remix it, what did you expect?
This EP is not just "noise", it has song structure, progression, and a great deal of hidden aspects to the music. Thats what makes NIN such a great band to listen to. No matter how many times you listen to a song, you always walk away with something fresh and after each new listening, because of its dense layering.
While I agree that the last few songs are incredibly ferocious and jagged, they are still within NIN's boundaries. If you appreciate the more pop-sound aspects of Trent's music, stick to Pretty Hate Machine or With Teeth. Otherwise, this is an exciting and enticing remix EP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Broken And Fixed NOW, Dec 5 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Fixed (Audio CD)
I need to counter the mediocre and bad reviews of Fixed. This CD is absolutely worth getting. Broken is about as pure Trent Reznor as you can get and Fixed is a step beyond that. If you like Broken and Fixed, you like the real NIN.
Gave Up is fantastic, perfectly disjointed yet still driving and aggressive. Then there's Wish. It alone is worth the price of the CD. The original was great, this remix is life-altering. It's violent, shrill, jarring, it takes everything that makes NIN what it is and cranks it up to the highest level.
After Wish, the songs get more quirky and less "song-like". This isn't a bad thing, this is Trent Reznor. If you like things even more off-the-wall, the last few tracks might just be your favorites.
Regardless, I consider Fixed and Broken to be the most NIN of all the NIN CD's. If you really want to get inside Trent's head and see just what the world looks like to him, buy these, jack up the treble, jack up the volume, then listen 'til your ears bleed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Noise, March 19 2004
Jim Spencer (Boynton Beach, Fl) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fixed (Audio CD)
This is by far my least favorite NIN CD. I didn't like it the first time I listened to it, and I haven't liked it since (and believe you me: I tried to like it).
It's simply noisy. Now I know, alot of NIN is loud, distorted, etc, but this seemed noise for noise's sake. Now, I LOVED Broken. It was in fact my first foray into non-pop music. I loved how loud and aggressive it sounded. Fixed managed to take all of that noise and simply filter out the the purpose imo. The vocals are buried under wall of noise, the measures are chopped up... and that's my real big peeve actually (measure chopping). I loved Wish; it was my favorite song on Broken. They took the guitar riff and arbitrarily chopped off the last beat in the measure... and looped it. It's grating. I thought at first my CD player had freaked out or perhaps the CD was scratched.
Now, just so no one thinks I just hate remixes... I LOVED Further Down the Spiral (The Botton, At The Hear of it All, Erasure[polite]... all great remixes). And they were quite different than their originals... especially The Bottom which was my favorite track. But, they'd been crafted into new songs. Every time I hear tracks on Fixed, I get an image of a guy that just got a new mixing program and wants to see just how much "damage" he can do. "Ooo... check it out; this program lets you just drop a beat out... AWESOME! It's like, I'm in 4/4 now and then... *BAM!* it's the same thing only in 3/4. What a mind trip! What else can this thing do?!"
:-/

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat listenable...., Oct. 6 2003
Matt (Columbus, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fixed (Audio CD)
Let me just be straight with you here...NIN have released MUCH better....MUCH MUCH better remix ep's other than this. Now, this is a listenable cd, BUT alot of songs just seem too damn long and it almost becomes annoying. This was a b*tch for me to find, as I guess it's quite a collectible nowadays, and wouldn't you know it, I came across it in a used cd shop for 3 bucks. I was a tad disappointed when I listened to it through at first but after a while I came to really appreciate the remixes of "Wish" and "Happiness in Slavery" (the other version of Wish, titled "Fist F-ck") actually wound up being in the Resident Evil movie for a second. Pretty bada$$. So, I recommend buying something like "Closer to God" or "Things Falling Apart" and THEN you may buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars halo 6, track 6 (and minute 6)., Sept. 7 2003
"nagelfar" (vancouver, wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fixed (Audio CD)
I own NIN's entire discography (and then some), and for whatever reason, I find myself listening to this the most... it was probably my least favorite early on, but after 8+ years of owning it.. there is something so abrasive that once you ease to it there is little to tire of. I listen to the final track (the only one amazon doesn't let you sample) maybe three times a week. my favorite NIN track of all time (with one possible exception, but right now, I'll say it's above it's otherwise #2 slot in my heart). the lack of any real structure actually increase's it's replay value; there is no easy pattern to 'conquer', or wrap your mind around, to just move on. it isn't easily absorbed, but there's alot of aesthetic noise to really keep it advancing in terms of liking it, with each listen, that is.
the other tracks, have too much rhythm once you get used to Screaming Slave, there is no replacing it.
I wouldn't say it's generally 'more hard' than broken. just more 'seething', more twisted and more "insane", it does have a softer, more unconcerned, feel; but it's in the same manner as dementia would be... the last track, however, is much louder than anything on broken. the last track, is truly "broken", and evokes that meaning more than any NIN release.

1.0 out of 5 stars Work of a Genius? Nope, Sorry, Sept. 7 2003
Ben Dugan "Ben Dugan" (Flying Monkey Killer) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fixed (Audio CD)
Ah, I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was listening "Broken" on repeat, and in the local used C.D. bin, I saw a copy of "Fixed"("Broken, "Fixed". Get it? Yeah real funny Mr. Reznor). I decided, "well, 'Broken' rocks, so this outta be good also'". Well, I was wrong. Very, very wrong.
I am a Nine Inch Nails fan, it not a fanatic, and I like to think that I view thngs objectivly. With that in mind, I have to say that "Fixed" is one of the most god awful pieces of trash I have heard. Every single remix here is unlistenable, tuneless rock that actually hurts the origanelly product. The people who did these remixes need to have their mixing boards taken away from them and smashed ritualistically in the parking lot of their recording studios(except Reznor, who really needs a new record about this time.) When did Charlie Clousure come around and save Reznor from himself? Very, very soon thankfully.
So, save your ten dollars for the next NIN record, to be released in the year 2010. Or, if you are having a jones for some NIN remixes, pick up the remix discs "Things Falling Apart"(remixes of "The Fragile") or "Further Down the Spiral"(remixes from "the Downward Spiral"). Avoid this hack work.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Most Horrible Thing Nine Inch Nails Ever Did, Aug. 26 2003
This review is from: Fixed (Audio CD)
I'm sick of hearing people talk about how brilliant this is because of how it totally molested the original genius behind Broken. And I'm getting REALLY sick of people saying Trent Reznor can do no wrong. I'll admit that I'm a Nine Inch Nails collector, if not a fanatic, but I can't fathom lying to people by telling them that this is good. Trent, what in god's name were you thinking? This sounds like random machinery malfunctioning with a few screams thrown in. Now I can completely relate to the screams of pain, as I can't help but do that myself after listening to this for a minute, but this is just awful noise. There is nothing distinguishable about anything on this album aside from the fact that it's horrible, please don't ever buy this, Trent should not be getting money for making this so let's not give it to him. AVOID

5.0 out of 5 stars Halo 6, June 24 2003
Patrick Duran (Albuquerque, New Mexico United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fixed (Audio CD)
Not as good as its companion Broken,but its impossible for Trent to make a bad cd.

Fixed
Fixed by Nine Inch Nails (Audio CD - 2000)