5.0 out of 5 stars Michael's Magnum Opus
Published on March 19 2004 by Glenn Nippert

3.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtless re-issue of re-issued material
Though this is a great and enjoyable collection of pop music history especially suited for novices of Michael Jackson's music, for the majority of Jackson's fans it is merely just a re-issue of "History Begins", the first CD of Jackson's 1995 History double-CD album.
Published on Feb. 15 2002 by Richard Howard

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Music HIStory, Oct. 15 2010
Tommy Skylar (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This compilation was originally released as disc one of Michael Jackson's 1995 History album and it was later reissued in 2001 as "Greatest Hits HIStory Vol 1". The music of course, is excellent; this is MJ we're talking about. History Vol. 1 covers songs from Jackson's solo career from 1979-1991, for most fans those were the best years of his career. This single disc compilation has not been altered in any way, it remains the original and it has its own album cover now. This greatest hits album is not the best of its kind on the market but you could do worse than pick this up, I mean the music is great and it offers 15 excellent songs (I know, I know it's 16 but to me track 15 and 16 go together). There are 3 songs from MJ's debut Off The Wall (1979), 5 from Thriller (1982), 4 from Bad (1987) and 3 from Dangerous (1991). When released on its own, "Greatest Hits HIStory Vol.1" went on to sell more than four million copies. If you're looking for a good compilation of the King of Pop's career this could very well be it, however, if you're looking for something that goes deeper into MJ's music then I suggest the excellent two-discs "The Essential Michael Jackson" which also includes songs from his years as part of the Jackson 5/Jacksons. I personally feel that "Number Ones" is a better single disc greatest hits collection because I prefer the song listing and it does have 2 more songs, this one is excellent and may very well be all the MJ you'll ever need. 4/5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael's Magnum Opus, March 19 2004
Glenn Nippert "musicologist" (Alpharetta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Before the baby dangling, before the alleged molestation charges, before the plastic surgery, there was the music. And after the years go by and all the scandals and controversy have faded, there will still be the music. There are a few classics missing here-"Smooth Criminal", "Say,Say Say", and "Human Nature" to name a few. But the greatest hits disc amply displays how Michael singlehandedly dominated the charts from 1979-1992.
The new material on disc two is about half a disc of good material like "Scream" with sister Janet and "You Are Not Alone", written by R.Kelly and the haunting "Stranger in Moscow".
There are a lot of songs were M.J seems to be lashing out at those he feels were behind his legal woes at the time and the bitterness and anger of these songs does not suit him. "Childhood" and "Earth Song" are more his style, as well as a cool, funky version of The Beatles "Come Together" that should have been a hit. Overall, a good collection of the classics that were/are the soundtrack to our lives and 7 or 8 good new ones to go with them.** This review refers to History, Past, Present and Future Book One which is a 2 CD set of hits and newer material, which has since been re-released as 2 seperate discs.**

5.0 out of 5 stars Basically an unnescessary release, but of course superb., Oct. 19 2003
Kasper Michelsen "Alcibiades" (Copenhagen, Denmark.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Basically, I simply can't see the need of this re-release of the first disc of the HIStory set - HIStory was certainly a release no-one should miss, and even if the second disc contained several missers or mediocre songs ('Smile', 'Chieldhood', 'Come Together', 'This Time Around', '2Bad') it did contain a fair share of classics proving that Michael has - or had at that time, Invincible might certainly question this - not lost his touch as the King Of Pop - take songs like 'Scream', 'They Don't Care About Us', 'Stranger In Moscow', 'Earth Song' and 'You Are Not Alone'.
Instead, I think Michael should have waited a couple of years and grapped the opportunity to release a double CD with ALL his greatest hits - because there are SO many fantastic songs NOT included here - let me mention: 'Off The Wall', 'Workin' Day And Night', 'Human Nature', 'Say Say Say', 'Liberian Girl', 'Dirty Diana', 'Smooth Criminal', 'Leave Me Alone', 'Jam', 'In The Closet', 'Who Is It', 'Give In To Me', 'Will You Be There', 'Dangerous', the above mentioned HIStory songs, and from his recent Invincible release 'Cry' and 'Speechless'.
All of these songs are masterpieces, and many of them MUCH better than some of material included on this CD, even if all these songs are excellent.
I've seen listed - with no details - a forthcoming Cd and DVD combi-release titteled #1's - let's see what this brings, but probably not a complete collection of Michael's best works, unfortunately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hits- though needs more to be greatest, June 28 2003
Amir Haidar (Beirut, Lebanon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This album in itself is a masterpeice, and every single song is amazing. However, since you can all read the millions of praises from other reviews which I am not going to repeat, I am going to tell you the songs that in my opinion, should have been in this album to make it the greatest hits:
from Off the Wall: Workin' day and night/get on the floor/ off the wall
from Thriller: Baby be mine/human nature/(someone in the dark)
from Bad: Another part of me/dirty diana/smooth criminal/liberian girl/leave me alone/(streetwalker)/(fly away)
from Dangerous: Jam/in the closet/will you be there?/who is it?/give in to me/gone too soon
I know this is a long list, and I don't mean by it that this compilation isn't good, it's fabulous, but this comes to show how many amazing songs Mr. Jackson has made, that only one album cannot incorporate them all
If you want to start off your Michael Jackson collection, this is a perfect album to start with, advisebly along with the HIStory video or DVD (volume 1), they will make you love the songs even more

5.0 out of 5 stars They're missing some classics though!, May 17 2003
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I'm not gonna subtract a star because they didn't have all the songs I didn't want you know. I also am not going to boycott Michael Jackson just because of some of the events that have taken place. I also don't care that he looks very different from his glory days as what someone looks like does not neccesarly mean they are untalented. Its pretty sad that we live in a world where beauty is power. Well MJ's power back in the 80's and early 90's was his talent and I'm glad to see that no one has forgotten about it.
This greatest hits track is brilliant and really does have his greatest hits. My first major gripe though, is that I really didn't like the song "The Girl is Mine". Instead it would've been better to replace that with "Human Nature". Also, we didn't get enough classics from OFF THE WALL or DANGEROUS. If there is a volume two I think I'd really like to see "Off the Wall", "Working Day and Night," "Jam" "Who is It" and "Will You Be There".
Also, from BAD and DANGEROUS, It'd be real nice to hear "Dirty Diana" and "Smooth Criminal" again. "PYT (Pretty Young Thing)" and "Human Nature" are also classics that shouldn't be missed.
I liked the songs they did choose for this Greatest Hits album though. They took too much from THRILLER and not enough from OFF THE WALL I feel. I'm sure by now we've all heard "Billie Jean" "Beat It" "Wanna Be Startin Something" and "Thriller" by now. The album is great nostalgia and portrays MJ's innocence before he started letting his music express his anger towards the media.
I'm still disappointed that DANGEROUS spawned 9 singles and only 3 were included on this album. OFF THE WALL...the entire album was a classic! And we only got three singles from that? Well, except "Heal the World" we got all the best from DANGEROUS at least. So overall I'm not disappointed, I just wanted more and therefore there should be a volume two someday in the future.
Perhaps on that one they can include some of the overlooked classics. When I say "overlooked" I mean the songs that could've/should've been included but weren't. So the "overlooked" stuff was what I mentioned above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Action Jackson shines again!!!!, Feb. 21 2003
Da Peace Dogg (Hollywood, California - livin' humble) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
They don't call him "Action Jackson" for nuthin'!! This guy cleans house better than Bubbles the Chimp on housecleaning day - and he manages to do it with style and grace, never mind what you've been reading in the tabloids!!
Hey, Action Jackson might live life a tad different from you and I, but no one can argue with tunes like "Rock With You" and "Billie Jean" (was Michael Jackson the girl's lover - we'll never know!!). This is first-rate soul music, presented by a man who used to be a real class-act hit! Like I said, they don't call him "Action" for no reason, right?
With his shimmying, shakin'moves and perpetually high-pitched voice that somehow never developed, plus his sense of surprisingly keen melody, Michael "Action" Jackson might just be getting started in the music biz. It's only 2003, folks. If this guy doesn't flake out on us or go bankrupt, he might just be the next Janet Jackson. Let's hope!!!!!!!
And the hits on this splendid album are where it all began.
GIVE HIM A CHANCE, WILL YA'!

4.0 out of 5 stars It Feels Good...But At Its Core, Unsatisfying, June 18 2002
Troy Hartle (Bellefonte, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is an idea of what HISTORY should have been- it should have only included just all of Michael Jackson's hits and nothing else (in other words, a majority of the second disc deserved to be ditched). Having this collection is very nice, but yet, it is hard for me to understand why Jackson would just release the first disc all over again instead of putting more hits into the collection and thus make it a double-disc album.
It does make some sense that Jackson would ignore all of his solo hits with Motown, as well as his hits with his brothers. But he is still missing a number of songs from his post-Motown career. It is one thing for "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"; "Another Part of Me"; and "Jam" to be MIA, but it is clearly another thing for number one hits to be missing ("Dirty Diana"; the R. Kelly duet "You Are Not Alone" and the Paul McCartney duet "Say Say Say"). I am also annoyed by the fact that nothing after DANGEROUS is represented here; even though Jackson's output has become quite patchy over the past decade, his albums over that time still often had their moments. With songs like these missing, it could be argued that this collection does not showcase a complete portrayal of the self-proclaimed King of Pop. (And I will not comment about the album's non-chronological sequencing, which is sometimes atrocious.)
However, you still get many of Jackson's biggest hits from OFF THE WALL to DANGEROUS, including "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough"; "Billie Jean"; "Beat It"; "Bad"; "Man in the Mirror"; and "Black and White." These are the songs that should encourage casual fans enough to buy this album, but those people who want to give Michael Jackson more than a passing by (and believe me, there are millions of them) should just go and buy the four albums that this collection represents.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE This CD But..., June 2 2002
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
...I don't see the point of this release. Michael Jackson just released The best Special Editions of albums known to man. ["Off the Wall", "Thriller", "Bad", & "Dangerous"]. Why did he re-release CD1 of HIStory?? Nevertheless. This CD is truly a work of art:
1) BILLIE JEAN - Michael's Biggest Hit, a cool song but not my personal favorite.
2) THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL - One of my favorite MJ songs EVER!!
3) BLACK OR WHITE - The Best Pop song known to man, with the best video in the world!!!! My fav. MJ song!!
4) ROCK WITH YOU - This song is so old school , the best song from "Off the Wall".
5) SHE'S OUT OF MY LIFE - A very sad soulful song from Michael.
6) BAD - I really like the guitar and the beat. A true Classic.
7) I JUST CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU - A really good duet with Sediah Garrett.
8) MAN IN THE MIRROR - Also one of my favorite MJ songs.
9) THRILLER - The best Scary Halloween song EVER!!
10) BEAT IT - A little bit more of a rock edge than the others. Also a true classic.
11) THE GIRL IS MINE - With Paul McCartney. To be honest, I really don't like this song.
12) REMEMBER THE TIME - I LOVE this song. Definetely one of my favorite songs of the early 90's.
13) DON'T STOP TILL YOU GET ENOUGH - This song really gets me going. A Disco party classic.
14) WANNA BE STARTIN' SOMETHING - This song makes no sense, but it's still really cool.
15 & 16) HEAL THE WORLD/PRELUDE - I Like this song, but was it really an MJ Greatest Hit??
Overall, this album has a lot of Mj's hits, and it is worth the money, but not if you have the History, 2 CD Set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Did He Release The Same Thing?, May 12 2002
DJ Dip (JHB, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is a great album. Michael's Jackson Greatest Hits is obviousely going to be amazing. It has almost all of his classics from Don't Stop Till You Get Enough to Remember The Time. Every singe song deserves to be on this album but he could have added a few more such as Smooth Criminal and Working Day & Night.
The only problem with this album is that it has been released before on HIStory the double album. Sure maybe it might be better suited to those not willing to fork out extra money for a double CD. It will not sell nearly as much as it deserves to.
I think that he should have waited until after he has released all the singles he wants to release from Invuncible before making this and add songs from HIStory disc 2, Blood On The Dance Floor and Invincible. I have heard that at the end of this year he will release a proper album with his greatest hits and a few unreleased tracks.
Although I gave this album 5 stars (It has brilliant tracks on it.) I think that you should rather wait until he releases his real Greatest Hits album. If you are an extreme MJ fan buy both.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtless re-issue of re-issued material, Feb. 15 2002
Richard Howard "aquabreeze" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
By having this familiar compilation re-issued as its own single-disc-priced release, it is obvious that this is just a profit-making exercise by Epic (Jackson's record label). If Epic had put more thought into the naming of this release they would have realized that by calling it "Volume 1", which covers hits off albums from Jackson's undisputed glory days (1979's Off The Wall, 1982's Thriller, 1987's Bad, and 1991's Dangerous), they would effectively dig themselves into a rut because a future "Volume 2" release, realistically-speaking, could not rival Volume 1 if it were to be solely reliant on material off Jackson's newer but comparatively-weaker albums (1995's History Continues [History Disc 2], 1997's Blood On The Dance Floor [mostly remixes], and 2001's Invincible). Instead, a "Greatest Hits Volume 1" compilation similar to the abandoned 1989 "Decade" greatest hits project, which was to have compiled songs from only his Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad albums, would have been a far wiser move by Epic. By including classic tunes such as Off The Wall, Human Nature, and Smooth Criminal in place of Black Or White, Remember The Time and Heal The World (which would be kept for inclusion in a "Greatest Hits Volume 2") would have firstly, actually offered Jackson fans something new therefore giving them an incentive to actally buy the compilation, and secondly, would have ensured a much stronger Volume 2 compilation for the future thanks to the strong material on the Dangerous album.
This release is a wasted opportunity for what could have been a solid definitive SERIES of Michael Jackson's greatest hits, however I'd recommend this CD over the recent "Number Ones" CD as this one does not contain "One More Chance", arguably Michael's worst song ever released. 5 stars for the music, and 1 star for this being a thoughtless re-issue of an already-available compilation of re-issued material - an average of 3 stars for this release.

V1 History Greatest Hits
V1 History Greatest Hits by Michael Jackson (Audio CD - 2001)