5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!!
I have a lot of memories of listening to Michael Jackson's music throughout my life. I have the song "Thriller" on a record, and my parents have always told me that I used to dance to it when I was about 3. I know that had to have been something, because these days, I literally refuse to dance, unless it's slow dancing.
Like I did when I was a kid, I...
Published on Jan. 3 2002 by jao

3.0 out of 5 stars Would get 5 Stars if HIStory Double-Disc set wasnt released!
Published on Dec 19 2003 by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!!, Jan. 3 2002
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Like I did when I was a kid, I still like listening to Michael Jackson's music. For many years, I waited for him to release an album full of his greatest hits. I've seen and looked over his History album several times, but I was never convinced enough to buy it since it was a double cd, and because I only wanted the songs that were on the first cd.
Well, all I can say is it's about time. I'm super glad that MJ decided to release this album, which is the first cd (alone) from his Greatest Hits History album. It has almost all the MJ songs that I like the best, including "Thriller," "The Way You Make Me Feel," "Billie Jean," and others. There are songs included from years that span the decades of the 70's, 80's, and 90's.
Even though he's been involved in many controversies, and even though that's all that some people might think of when they hear the name Michael Jackson, there is no denying that he has made some GREAT, unforgettable music!
If you want a compilation of Michael Jackson's best music, but you don't want to get the entire 2-cd collection, Vol. 1 - Greatest Hits History would be a spectacular buy.
For true Michael Jackson fans, a 28-page color booklet is included with the cd. It has photos, credits, various people saying what they think about Michael Jackson, it mentions each of the hundreds of awards that MJ has won, and more.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Music HIStory, Oct. 15 2010
Tommy Sixx Morais (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This compilation was originally released as disc one of Michael Jackson's 1995 History album and it was later reissued in 2001 as "Greatest Hits HIStory Vol 1". The music of course, is excellent; this is MJ we're talking about. History Vol. 1 covers songs from Jackson's solo career from 1979-1991, for most fans those were the best years of his career. This single disc compilation has not been altered in any way, it remains the original and it has its own album cover now. This greatest hits album is not the best of its kind on the market but you could do worse than pick this up, I mean the music is great and it offers 15 excellent songs (I know, I know it's 16 but to me track 15 and 16 go together). There are 3 songs from MJ's debut Off The Wall (1979), 5 from Thriller (1982), 4 from Bad (1987) and 3 from Dangerous (1991). When released on its own, "Greatest Hits HIStory Vol.1" went on to sell more than four million copies. If you're looking for a good compilation of the King of Pop's career this could very well be it, however, if you're looking for something that goes deeper into MJ's music then I suggest the excellent two-discs "The Essential Michael Jackson" which also includes songs from his years as part of the Jackson 5/Jacksons. I personally feel that "Number Ones" is a better single disc greatest hits collection because I prefer the song listing and it does have 2 more songs, this one is excellent and may very well be all the MJ you'll ever need. 4/5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, Oct. 11 2009
N. Ryan "DatDivaChiQ" (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This was my first MJ cd, I bought this back in '01. THANK GOD I DID, i mean i was always a fan of MJ but the CD did justice. Since then i've never looked back. Regardless of all the controversy that unfortunately surrounds MJ, his music is undeniably GREAT AND ICONIC! So if you are considering to buy this album go ahead and enter the world of great music. RIP MJ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael's Magnum Opus, March 20 2004
Glenn Nippert "musicologist" (Alpharetta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Before the baby dangling, before the alleged molestation charges, before the plastic surgery, there was the music. And after the years go by and all the scandals and controversy have faded, there will still be the music. There are a few classics missing here-"Smooth Criminal", "Say,Say Say", and "Human Nature" to name a few. But the greatest hits disc amply displays how Michael singlehandedly dominated the charts from 1979-1992.
The new material on disc two is about half a disc of good material like "Scream" with sister Janet and "You Are Not Alone", written by R.Kelly and the haunting "Stranger in Moscow".
There are a lot of songs were M.J seems to be lashing out at those he feels were behind his legal woes at the time and the bitterness and anger of these songs does not suit him. "Childhood" and "Earth Song" are more his style, as well as a cool, funky version of The Beatles "Come Together" that should have been a hit. Overall, a good collection of the classics that were/are the soundtrack to our lives and 7 or 8 good new ones to go with them.** This review refers to History, Past, Present and Future Book One which is a 2 CD set of hits and newer material, which has since been re-released as 2 seperate discs.**

3.0 out of 5 stars Would get 5 Stars if HIStory Double-Disc set wasnt released!, Dec 19 2003
Chris "www.twitter.com/chrisMibacache" (Christchurch, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is a classic selection of songs, but HIStory has been released with another disc, really who would spend their money on this one when at the same price you can get another disc and a massive slip case!. This CD is great though, containing alot of great MJ classics before 1995. But if you really wanted all of Mj's Hit singles buy all of his albums, because there are ALOT more hit singles that havent appeared on any greatest hits collections, MJ is one of the greatest artists of all time and this CD proves it, but it should not have been released with the HIStory double-disc set released a while before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jackson at his very best, Nov. 9 2003
Rob Bee (Tetford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I think that this album sums up what Michael Jackson is and what he has done for the music industry. This is a brilliant album. He is simply superb!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Basically an unnescessary release, but of course superb., Oct. 19 2003
Kasper Michelsen "Alcibiades" (Copenhagen, Denmark.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Basically, I simply can't see the need of this re-release of the first disc of the HIStory set - HIStory was certainly a release no-one should miss, and even if the second disc contained several missers or mediocre songs ('Smile', 'Chieldhood', 'Come Together', 'This Time Around', '2Bad') it did contain a fair share of classics proving that Michael has - or had at that time, Invincible might certainly question this - not lost his touch as the King Of Pop - take songs like 'Scream', 'They Don't Care About Us', 'Stranger In Moscow', 'Earth Song' and 'You Are Not Alone'.
Instead, I think Michael should have waited a couple of years and grapped the opportunity to release a double CD with ALL his greatest hits - because there are SO many fantastic songs NOT included here - let me mention: 'Off The Wall', 'Workin' Day And Night', 'Human Nature', 'Say Say Say', 'Liberian Girl', 'Dirty Diana', 'Smooth Criminal', 'Leave Me Alone', 'Jam', 'In The Closet', 'Who Is It', 'Give In To Me', 'Will You Be There', 'Dangerous', the above mentioned HIStory songs, and from his recent Invincible release 'Cry' and 'Speechless'.
All of these songs are masterpieces, and many of them MUCH better than some of material included on this CD, even if all these songs are excellent.
I've seen listed - with no details - a forthcoming Cd and DVD combi-release titteled #1's - let's see what this brings, but probably not a complete collection of Michael's best works, unfortunately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only a partial look at HIStory, July 22 2003
DEAN M. Dent (SAN LEANDRO, CALIFORNIA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Greatest Hits-HIStory (which is basically disc one of his HIStory album) is a total hit & miss.
Of course the greats are represented(Billie Jean,Beat It,Don't Stop..,Rock With You,etc)but what was unnessesarily included(The Girl Is Mine,Heal The World) outweighs what should've been included(Human Nature,Off The Wall,Dirty Diana,Say,Say,Say,Will You Be There).Maybe the best of "HIStory continues"(Scream You Are Not Alone,Earth Song,Stranger In Moscow) should've been interspread with the old hits.It may not be HIStory but it would've justified his place in history

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Micheal! Go Micheal!, July 2 2003
Linda Rowell (Katonah, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This a great cd! but it really could have better and it's just like getting half of the hsitory cd because the History album is all these songs on this album on one cd and then another cd with all new material from 1994 - 1995! but still if you just want his old songs from 1979- 1991 please be my guest! But his best albums in my opion are
1.Bad
2.Dangerous and also Thriller (there bloth too good!)
so be happy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hits- though needs more to be greatest, June 28 2003
Amir Haidar (Beirut, Lebanon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V1 History Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This album in itself is a masterpeice, and every single song is amazing. However, since you can all read the millions of praises from other reviews which I am not going to repeat, I am going to tell you the songs that in my opinion, should have been in this album to make it the greatest hits:
from Off the Wall: Workin' day and night/get on the floor/ off the wall
from Thriller: Baby be mine/human nature/(someone in the dark)
from Bad: Another part of me/dirty diana/smooth criminal/liberian girl/leave me alone/(streetwalker)/(fly away)
from Dangerous: Jam/in the closet/will you be there?/who is it?/give in to me/gone too soon
I know this is a long list, and I don't mean by it that this compilation isn't good, it's fabulous, but this comes to show how many amazing songs Mr. Jackson has made, that only one album cannot incorporate them all
If you want to start off your Michael Jackson collection, this is a perfect album to start with, advisebly along with the HIStory video or DVD (volume 1), they will make you love the songs even more

V1 History Greatest Hits
V1 History Greatest Hits by Michael Jackson (Audio CD - 2001)