4.0 out of 5 stars Very good...but with a few mistakes.
Published on Feb. 23 2001 by mister_music

3.0 out of 5 stars The Best of a Weak Year
Published on Dec 31 2001 by C. Shafran

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The Best of a Weak Year, Dec 31 2001
C. Shafran (College Park, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
Let's face it. 2000 was a dreadful year for music, too heavy on teen pop and rap and not enough good rock or R & B. This compilation displays that to some degree. I don't envy NARAS having to make these tough decisions. But some of them are very questionable. 1. Say My Name-The Grammys correctly awaded DC as emerging stars, and this is the best track off their "The Writing Is On The Wall" album. Expect DC to get a lot of nominations from their smash "Survivor" album in 2002. 2. I Try-A pretty good song, but not worthy of a "Record of the Year" nomination. 3. Music-Madonna just won't stop! This is wonderfully catchy and fun and a definite worthy nominee. 4. Bye Bye Bye-Say what you want about 'NSYNC, but this infectious tune, which was the #1 hit of 2000 from the #1 album of 2000, is fun in every way possible. 'NSYNC is the only teen pop act worthy of any Grammys and may get a few more nominations in 2002. 5. Beautiful Day-The most deserving Grammy nominees with this wonderful, cheerful tune. Earlier, I mistakenly questioned why "All That You Can't Leave Behind" wasn't nominated for "Album of the Year" for 2000, not realizing that only albums released BEFORE Oct. 30, 2000 qualify for the 2001 awards. So it now qualifys for the 2002's and it has now gotten 8 much-deserved nominations. 6. Sexx Laws-A weird choice for a song. Didn't hear much about the album, so it's a questionable nominee. 7. The Real Slim Shady-It's hilarious that this rap tune appears on the same compilation as the people Eminem bashes: Britney, Christina, and 'NSYNC. That makes this funny song even funnier. However, "The Marshall Mathers LP" is much too hateful to be considered an "Album of the Year" candidate. I've bought the album after all the publicity and listened to it several times, and I just didn't enjoy it (See my review). I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but NARAS went for popularity with this choice. Eminem does have talent, but his "Slim Shady LP" was better than this, in my opinion. 8. Optomistic-Radiohead's "Kid A" is definitely worthy, but I wish they selected a better song for this CD. 9. "You're The One"-Is Paul Simon deserving? I don't know, since none of the songs on the album were played on the radio. 10. "Cousin Dupree"-Same problem with Steely Dan, no radio airplay. (The same problem may hit Bob Dylan in 2002) This song is a good hommage to their earlier days. I was relieved that "Two Against Nature" won, instead of "Marshall Mathers". 11. What a Girl Wants-Now we get to the biggest problem with the 2001 Grammys; too many teen pop nominees. Only 'NSYNC was deserving. This song was plain annoying. 12. Save Me-I didn't like this either. Whiny and annoying. 13. Both Sides Now-Although Joni Mitchell wrote this, I wasn't thrilled with the way she sang it. Judy Collins' old version was much better. 14. Oops...I did it Again-Pretty good Britney tune but not as good as "...Baby One More Time". She declares "I'm not that innocent", which should've been enough to declare that she's grown up. But Britney pushed the envelope way too far with the trashy "I'm a Slave 4 U". 15. "Show Me The Meaning..."-An okay BSB ballad, but not worthy of a nomination. Don't expect any more nominations for this fading boy band. 16. "Pinch Me"-Finally this fun, offbeat rock band is getting their just recognition in the U.S. after winning several Canadian "Juno"s. 17. "Breathless"-Again, okay but not Grammy-worthy. So too much teen pop, not enough rock, and a dreadful year for females weaken 2001. And Eminem's nomination sent a bad message. We should get much more rock (including U2), better R & B (especially Alicia Keys and Usher) and more female acts (Keys and Nelly Furtado) to highlight the 2002 nominations, as well as more positive, post 9/11 music. I'm looking forward to the 2002 awards.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cool...but not good enough for 5 stars., Sept. 21 2001
Tiff (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
Grammy Nominees 2001 is a good CD, but it's just not good enough for 5 stars. There are some songs which I could've cared less for. I hate Radiohead, Paul Simon, Steely Dan, and 'N Sync. I don't like Macy Gray or U2, either. But I do like Backstreet Boys, Madonna, Eminem, Christina Aguilera, The Corrs, and Britney Spears. Yes, I am a pop lover - but I am not a teenybopper. And I do appreciate all kinds of music, but I just don't like these artists or bands. Instead of getting this CD, buy these albums: Millennium, Oops!...I Did It Again, Music, The Marshall Mathers LP, Christina Aguilera, and In Blue. There, you can find all of the tracks by these artists that are on this CD as well...plus a whole lot of other awesome pop tracks! I don't like the Paul Simon song because it is just soooo long and kinda dull with no beat whatsoever. 'N Sync is just annoying. I can't stand Macy Gray's voice - she seriously cannot sing! And who the heck are Steely Dan? Radiohead is just stupid and so is U2. I'm surprised and shocked that the BSB haven't won any Grammys by now...they've been nominated for like, 10 and you'd probably think they would have at least won one Grammy by now! They are the best group ever - they are really great! In fact, just from buying this CD for "Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely" is totally worth it. It's such a beautiful, sad emotional and moving song...and the vocals are so incredible! So anyways, there were some good solid tracks on this CD but there were just a lot of mistakes and flaws. So I guess this is a mixed bag for me. Buy it if you like most of the artists and bands featured on this CD. But if you don't, then just buy their albums.

Tiff (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak selections bring the album down, Aug. 13 2001
M (Syracuse, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
Usually the "Grammy Nominees" series produces a compilation in which, understandably, some pieces are way below the others in quality. The 2001 edition suffers more than ever of this syndrome. In fact, quality is truly hard to find on this CD. Under the label of "pop" several unworthy songs somehow find their way into the selections. Hard to understand why, but the few decent tracks merely manage to assert that some effort was actually put into the decision. The variety of genres that appear merely confuse me about what exactly is the purpose of this CD, rather than provide a large field from which to find something that I like. The fact is, it is so broad that a fan of a particular style of music will be left utterly disappointed. 1)"Say my name" - a normally catchy song that seems out of place on this album. 2)"I try" - decent effort by Macy Gray, but she does not deserve to win a Grammy. 3)"Music" - Madonna's new song is nothing above average. 4)"Bye bye bye" - Usually annoying 'Nsync produce a better to digest single, but no reason to incorporate on this CD. 5)"Beautiful day" - U2's magnificent song, one of the best of the year, is one of the high points on the album. 6)"Sexx laws" - mildly agreeable Beck single similar to most of his work. 7)"The Real Slim Shady" - overplayed Eminem single is great, but no reason to buy this CD; buy his album instead. 8)"Optimistic" - extremely disappointing song from Radiohead; a definite weak point. 9)"You're the one" - Paul Simon's new track is enjoyable at most, but marks musical talent at its best. 10)"Cousin Dupree" - moderately bouncy music by Steely Dan does not justify their win. 11)"What a girl wants" - it is simply shameful to include such kind of bubble gum pop on a respectable compilation 12)"Save me" - very docile and slightly unnerving song from a new artist; decidedly bad choice. 13)"Both sides now" - another uninspired pick; nondescript in every way. 14)"Oops!I did it again!" - Britney is OK, but if she deserved a place at the Grammys, it would have to be for her prevoius album. 15)" Show me the meaning..." - almost disturbing Backstreet Boys have no place in the same room with a Grammy; a ghastly song, truly repulsive. 16)"Pinch me" - the best and the brightest on this album; Barenaked Ladies truly underrated as a band, always producing high quality music. 17)"Breathless" - The Corrs are nothing spectacular, but still bearable. To make a long story short, this album is only for collectors.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, April 8 2001
"mr-muzik" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
I'm disappointed that this CD focuses so heavily on "bubble gum" music, while leaving out so many of the mainstream rock & alternative bands that were popular in the last year (Creed, 3 Doors Down, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Stone Temple Pilots, Incubus, etc). So basically, if you like what you've been seeing on TRL or hearing on pop radio, chances are you'll like most of this CD. If not, there are still some other highlights on this compilation. U2's "Beautiful Day" won three Grammy's, and deservedly so, it's just a great song. Radiohead's "Optimistic" doesn't really fit in with all the boy bands and teen divas on here, but it's my favorite track on the album. Hopefully the people that bought this just for BSB, *NSync, Britney and Christina can also be open and appreciate Radiohead's unique style. I'm not a big fan of Joni Mitchell, Steely Dan or Paul Simon, but I suppose they deserved to be included since they were nominees in multiple categories. Besides, their songs add some much needed variety to the CD. And that's the whole idea of a collection like this right?

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Collection & Nice Mix, April 8 2001
Brian Glass (Colorado Springs, Colorado) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
I've been looking at the Grammy series for a few years but have never been able to bring myself to purchase one. They always seemed to be just a bit to short on interesting songs. I was browsing in the record store the other day though and happened to spot this one. There were several groups I had heard alot about but hadn't been able to hear (because commercial radio sucks!) so I thought I would buy this CD. So far I haven't been disappointed. The teen pop songs are catchy and while this style isn't my favorite, this album has the best of what's out there (or at least the most played). If you listen to alot of radio though you may be getting tired of these particular songs. I know "What a Girl Wants" is getting a little old. A few years from now though it will be nice to pull this CD out and listen to them again.
The more established (i.e. older) acts are just as good. I'm not what you would call a fan of Paul Simon but I love to hear his songs on the radio so it's nice to have one to play on a trip. Then there's "Beautiful Day" by U2, what can you say. It's a great song with wonderful vocals and guitar. I wasn't crazy about thr Radiohead song, I think they're a bit over-rated but again, if you're on a trip this song isn't bad to hear every once in awhile.
Thanks to this disc I finally figured out who sang the song "Breathless". I've heard it several times on the radio but DJs never mention who's singing a song so I had no idea it was the Corrs. I was disappointed that "The Real Slim Shady" was so heavily censored but I guess the uncut version would have excluded alot of 'N Sync and Britney fans, so commercially it makes sense.
Overall I think if you keep an open mind and want to expose yourself to some music you might not otherwise listen to this isn't a bad disc to start with. It's also a nifty little time capsule of music from the year 2001.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT WORTH A GRAMMY!, March 26 2001
Ce commentaire est de: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
This is one of the worst CD's I have ever purchased in my life! How could forty percent of these artists even win a Grammy? Half of these artists are not even on the radio or heard anywhere. Track 1- "Say My Name" by Destiny's Child- AN AWESOME SONG! Track 2- "I Try" by Macy Gray- HORRIBLE, MISERABLE SONG! Track 3- "Music" by Madonna- It's great, another winner! Track 4- "Bye, Bye, Bye" by N'Sync- I love it! Track 5- "Beautiful Day" by U2- another winner. Track 6- "Beck" by Sexx Laws- Garbage, who the heck are these people? Track 7- "Slim Shady" by Eminem- Not bad, but not great Track 8- "Optimistic" by Radioheard- Pure junk! Track 9- "You're The One" by Paul Simon- He's From The 70's! Track 10- "Cousin Dupree" bye Steely Dan- Who is that? Track 11- " What a Girl Wants" by Aguilera- Fabulous Track 12, 13- I can't stand these songs. Tracks 14-17- Good songs
Overall it's about fifty percent good and fifty percent horrible. Not worth the money!

2.0 out of 5 stars And you call (some) of these artists Grammy nominees?!, March 9 2001
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
I still can't believe some of the winners and nominees to this year's Grammy Awards. I mean, why the hell did *N SYNC deserve to earn any Grammy nominations? The only reason why they got nominated for anything was because the number of CDs they sold was very large, unfortunately. After all, *N SYNC has no talent, so that couldn't possibly be the reason they got any Grammy nominations...and NO STRINGS ATTACHED was probably the lowest quality CD I'd ever listened to. And what's up with Steely Dan, Paul Simon, Radiohead, and Joni Mitchell being on this CD? I mean yeah sure, they won some Grammys (and they're good, I guess)...but this CD looks to me like it's headed more toward the Teen Pop range than the kind of music these artists play. Somehow, I don't think they really fit in on this CD except for the fact that they (some of them, at least) are Grammy winners. But I was extremely happy (and relieved) to see at least some artists that I liked such as the Backstreet Boys, The Corrs, Madonna, and Eminem, although I thought Eminem would be on the rap/hip-hop Grammys CD. But even if you like these artists that are on this CD, I don't think you should buy the Grammy Nominations CD. Instead, buy these artists' albums and you'll be able to hear all the songs from the artists you love!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good...but with a few mistakes., Feb. 23 2001
"mister_music" (SAVANNAH, GEORGIA United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
The 2001 Grammy Nominees CD was very good. I liked most of the songs. Some of the best were Destiny's Child's "Say My Name" because of the cool lyrics and great background music, U2's "Beautiful Day" because I loved the lyrics and the music was also pretty good, and *NSYNC's "Bye Bye Bye" because I loved the beat and music both a lot. I also liked The Corrs' "Breathless" and Macy Gray's "I Try", and Backstreet Boys "Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely" a lot. However, there were a few songs that I would have rather done without, such as Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady", who picked him for this CD? (or for a nomination, anyway?) I wasn't a big fan of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now", it was a little too slow for me and I didn't particularly like the lyrics either, and I didn't like Barenaked Ladies' "Pinch Me", I don't believe there is a real point to that song. I don't neccesarily like Beck's song either. But there is some really interesting stuff here, like Paul Simon and Steely Dan. Overall, this is a good CD. I recommend you buy it now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good...but with a few mistakes., Feb. 23 2001
"mister_music" (SAVANNAH, GEORGIA United States) - See all my reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees
2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees by Various (Audio CD - 2001)