5.0 out of 5 stars This CD rocks!
I think that all of these bands fit together to make a great cd. Including Destiny's child, N'Sync, Britney Spears, Madonna, Emeniem, Cristiana Agulara, Backstreet Boys, also (BNL) Bare Naked Ladies. Those are all great bands. I wish they had put some Areosmith or Creed in there to. Other wise I love this cd.
Published on April 16 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars The cd would be better without scratches.
There are some good choices. However,i've seen better. Some songs haven't been heard at all,haven't been hits,and weren't popular. Here are some songs that should of replaced from the dropouts.
Blue-Effel 65
Meet Virginia-Train
Kryptonite-3 Doors Down
Aaron's Party-Aaron Carter
Then The Morning Comes-Smash Mouth
All The Small Things-blink...
Published on May 26 2003 by Person

Paul Simon
Steely Dan
Aimee Mann and
Joni Mitchell
The rest were rated 3-5 stars.
Recommendation-buy the cd if you know most of the songs. Not if you just know the good songs.
I hope this helped.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ovall-pretty good, March 3 2003
This review is from: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
Great variety of songs from 2001...there are 6 tracks that I wasn't familiar with: (#6/8/9/10/12/13) or liked very much. I would much rather purchase a Various artist CD than to drop a lot of money buying individual artist's CD unless I am a big fan of the singer and have a good feeling that the CD I am purchasing is one that I will like. Take a Chance and enjoy the music from 2001!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars The songs are good, but quality,, Oct. 1 2002
This review is from: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
One or two songs (6, 8) have some problem when playback. I am not sure if my copy is not good or something. The overall quality and song selection is good.

3.0 out of 5 stars The songs are good, but quality,, Oct. 1 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars The Best of a Weak Year, Jan. 1 2002
C. Shafran (College Park, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
Let's face it. 2000 was a dreadful year for music, too heavy on teen pop and rap and not enough good rock or R & B. This compilation displays that to some degree. I don't envy NARAS having to make these tough decisions. But some of them are very questionable. 1. Say My Name-The Grammys correctly awaded DC as emerging stars, and this is the best track off their "The Writing Is On The Wall" album. Expect DC to get a lot of nominations from their smash "Survivor" album in 2002. 2. I Try-A pretty good song, but not worthy of a "Record of the Year" nomination. 3. Music-Madonna just won't stop! This is wonderfully catchy and fun and a definite worthy nominee. 4. Bye Bye Bye-Say what you want about 'NSYNC, but this infectious tune, which was the #1 hit of 2000 from the #1 album of 2000, is fun in every way possible. 'NSYNC is the only teen pop act worthy of any Grammys and may get a few more nominations in 2002. 5. Beautiful Day-The most deserving Grammy nominees with this wonderful, cheerful tune. Earlier, I mistakenly questioned why "All That You Can't Leave Behind" wasn't nominated for "Album of the Year" for 2000, not realizing that only albums released BEFORE Oct. 30, 2000 qualify for the 2001 awards. So it now qualifys for the 2002's and it has now gotten 8 much-deserved nominations. 6. Sexx Laws-A weird choice for a song. Didn't hear much about the album, so it's a questionable nominee. 7. The Real Slim Shady-It's hilarious that this rap tune appears on the same compilation as the people Eminem bashes: Britney, Christina, and 'NSYNC. That makes this funny song even funnier. However, "The Marshall Mathers LP" is much too hateful to be considered an "Album of the Year" candidate. I've bought the album after all the publicity and listened to it several times, and I just didn't enjoy it (See my review). I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but NARAS went for popularity with this choice. Eminem does have talent, but his "Slim Shady LP" was better than this, in my opinion. 8. Optomistic-Radiohead's "Kid A" is definitely worthy, but I wish they selected a better song for this CD. 9. "You're The One"-Is Paul Simon deserving? I don't know, since none of the songs on the album were played on the radio. 10. "Cousin Dupree"-Same problem with Steely Dan, no radio airplay. (The same problem may hit Bob Dylan in 2002) This song is a good hommage to their earlier days. I was relieved that "Two Against Nature" won, instead of "Marshall Mathers". 11. What a Girl Wants-Now we get to the biggest problem with the 2001 Grammys; too many teen pop nominees. Only 'NSYNC was deserving. This song was plain annoying. 12. Save Me-I didn't like this either. Whiny and annoying. 13. Both Sides Now-Although Joni Mitchell wrote this, I wasn't thrilled with the way she sang it. Judy Collins' old version was much better. 14. Oops...I did it Again-Pretty good Britney tune but not as good as "...Baby One More Time". She declares "I'm not that innocent", which should've been enough to declare that she's grown up. But Britney pushed the envelope way too far with the trashy "I'm a Slave 4 U". 15. "Show Me The Meaning..."-An okay BSB ballad, but not worthy of a nomination. Don't expect any more nominations for this fading boy band. 16. "Pinch Me"-Finally this fun, offbeat rock band is getting their just recognition in the U.S. after winning several Canadian "Juno"s. 17. "Breathless"-Again, okay but not Grammy-worthy. So too much teen pop, not enough rock, and a dreadful year for females weaken 2001. And Eminem's nomination sent a bad message. We should get much more rock (including U2), better R & B (especially Alicia Keys and Usher) and more female acts (Keys and Nelly Furtado) to highlight the 2002 nominations, as well as more positive, post 9/11 music. I'm looking forward to the 2002 awards.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cool...but not good enough for 5 stars., Sept. 21 2001
Tiff (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
Grammy Nominees 2001 is a good CD, but it's just not good enough for 5 stars. There are some songs which I could've cared less for. I hate Radiohead, Paul Simon, Steely Dan, and 'N Sync. I don't like Macy Gray or U2, either. But I do like Backstreet Boys, Madonna, Eminem, Christina Aguilera, The Corrs, and Britney Spears. Yes, I am a pop lover - but I am not a teenybopper. And I do appreciate all kinds of music, but I just don't like these artists or bands. Instead of getting this CD, buy these albums: Millennium, Oops!...I Did It Again, Music, The Marshall Mathers LP, Christina Aguilera, and In Blue. There, you can find all of the tracks by these artists that are on this CD as well...plus a whole lot of other awesome pop tracks! I don't like the Paul Simon song because it is just soooo long and kinda dull with no beat whatsoever. 'N Sync is just annoying. I can't stand Macy Gray's voice - she seriously cannot sing! And who the heck are Steely Dan? Radiohead is just stupid and so is U2. I'm surprised and shocked that the BSB haven't won any Grammys by now...they've been nominated for like, 10 and you'd probably think they would have at least won one Grammy by now! They are the best group ever - they are really great! In fact, just from buying this CD for "Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely" is totally worth it. It's such a beautiful, sad emotional and moving song...and the vocals are so incredible! So anyways, there were some good solid tracks on this CD but there were just a lot of mistakes and flaws. So I guess this is a mixed bag for me. Buy it if you like most of the artists and bands featured on this CD. But if you don't, then just buy their albums.

Tiff (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak selections bring the album down, Aug. 14 2001
M (Syracuse, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
Usually the "Grammy Nominees" series produces a compilation in which, understandably, some pieces are way below the others in quality. The 2001 edition suffers more than ever of this syndrome. In fact, quality is truly hard to find on this CD. Under the label of "pop" several unworthy songs somehow find their way into the selections. Hard to understand why, but the few decent tracks merely manage to assert that some effort was actually put into the decision. The variety of genres that appear merely confuse me about what exactly is the purpose of this CD, rather than provide a large field from which to find something that I like. The fact is, it is so broad that a fan of a particular style of music will be left utterly disappointed. 1)"Say my name" - a normally catchy song that seems out of place on this album. 2)"I try" - decent effort by Macy Gray, but she does not deserve to win a Grammy. 3)"Music" - Madonna's new song is nothing above average. 4)"Bye bye bye" - Usually annoying 'Nsync produce a better to digest single, but no reason to incorporate on this CD. 5)"Beautiful day" - U2's magnificent song, one of the best of the year, is one of the high points on the album. 6)"Sexx laws" - mildly agreeable Beck single similar to most of his work. 7)"The Real Slim Shady" - overplayed Eminem single is great, but no reason to buy this CD; buy his album instead. 8)"Optimistic" - extremely disappointing song from Radiohead; a definite weak point. 9)"You're the one" - Paul Simon's new track is enjoyable at most, but marks musical talent at its best. 10)"Cousin Dupree" - moderately bouncy music by Steely Dan does not justify their win. 11)"What a girl wants" - it is simply shameful to include such kind of bubble gum pop on a respectable compilation 12)"Save me" - very docile and slightly unnerving song from a new artist; decidedly bad choice. 13)"Both sides now" - another uninspired pick; nondescript in every way. 14)"Oops!I did it again!" - Britney is OK, but if she deserved a place at the Grammys, it would have to be for her prevoius album. 15)" Show me the meaning..." - almost disturbing Backstreet Boys have no place in the same room with a Grammy; a ghastly song, truly repulsive. 16)"Pinch me" - the best and the brightest on this album; Barenaked Ladies truly underrated as a band, always producing high quality music. 17)"Breathless" - The Corrs are nothing spectacular, but still bearable. To make a long story short, this album is only for collectors.

1.0 out of 5 stars Some of these bands just don't belong, June 23 2001
This review is from: 2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees (Audio CD)
When I think of 2001 pop music, i think of ... music where musicians not only not write their own music, they don't perform it either. Songwriting is key in music, its the basis of all emotions within music. Boy bands and these teeny boppers aren't music. Its a shame that bands like U2, Radiohead, Paul Simon and Beck have to be linked with such disgusting musicians as Nsync, Backstreet Boys, Christina Aguilara, Brittney Spears and Destiny's child. I have to give this album 1 star because it contains more than one song from teeny boppers. The great thing about the 60's was not only that the music was great, the good music was popular. Now, a lot of kids my age (16) don't know of Bob Marley, The Grateful Dead, or even Jimi Hendrix. It's a shame that pop music could be so terrible. Peace and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD rocks!, April 16 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees
2001: Pop: Grammy Nominees by Various (Audio CD - 2001)