5.0 out of 5 stars Did Something in that tree Just Move???!!
I first saw Madman years ago when it was first released on VHS. I was probably in me early teens or pre-teens, and I remember it scaring my brother and I witless. About 10 years ago I found a copy for sale in a mom & pop video store in the neighborhood and picked it up. Now here I was in my mid 20's, newly married and decided to put this in one night when my wife was...
Published on June 3 2004 by David Girod

3.0 out of 5 stars MADMAN: Magnificent...or Malodorous?
Okay, 1982's MADMAN is admittedly low-budget schlock. That's a given. But does MADMAN qualify as schlock in the Ed Wood vein (i.e., so bad that it's actually fun)? Or is it just another run-of-the-mill '80s slasher flick whose creators wanted to hitch a quick ride on the lucrative HALLOWEEN (1978) and FRIDAY THE 13th (1980) gravy train? Well, that's actually hard to...
Published on Jan. 22 2004 by Michael R Gates

5.0 out of 5 stars Madman works, but..., Dec 31 2002
This review is from: Madman (Widescreen) (DVD)
the acting is pretty bad. If it was better, this could have been a really scary film, but unfortunately the acting took away some of the films atmosphere, but it is still pretty spooky. Not a Friday the 13th rip-off, for one thing, instead of hormone driven teens, we have hormone driven 40 year olds, and that is frieghtening enough. It's kind of like The Fog, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween (sort of), and Friday the 13th. To get scared in this movie, you do have to take it seriously, and try not to crack jokes about it. If you do that, then I'mn sure this will be an experience you won't forget anytime soon. Watch this one alone in the dark. The extra features on the disc are pretty good, and I'm surprised because a film like this usually doesn't get very good extra features. I hope my review has been helpful to you, and I hope you enjoy the movie as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and Scary at the same time!, Dec 29 2002
This review is from: Madman (VHS Tape)
This movie, like April Fool's Day, and Evil Dead II all had a perfect mix of scares and laughs. Some death scenes are funny, while others are rather shocking. It doesn't rip-off Friday the 13th that much, and I wonder why there wasn't a sequel, so someone better make one or else MADMAN MARZ will get you. Also try Sleepaway Camp, The Burning, and Bloody Murder. If you haven't seen Friday the 13th, see that first, alone in the dark, then watch the other ones the same way.

5.0 out of 5 stars rating madman, Nov. 8 2002
Jey Bugden "bountyhunter1973" (pei canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman (Widescreen) (DVD)
I,seen this movie long ago in grade five or six. i spent years,as in almost 17 years.
looking for it ,i finally found it last year i had to order it and im glad i did,still one of the top horror movies i think from the 80`s.good gore effects and a good plot make it one movie to add to,
anyones dvd horror collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's hide in the refrigerator!, Aug. 2 2002
This review is from: Madman (Widescreen) (DVD)
One of the better 80's slasher films. Way better than the Scream and the I Know...franchises. Low budget, fun, dated, and entertaining. The hot tub scene should've met the cutting room floor or at least the song removed. Probably the only film I know of that has someone hiding in the refrigerator hoping to escape from their killer Madman Marz. Do you know of anyone really named TP? I'm sure Gaylen Ross regrets this film. Go ahead and watch this pre-digital age relic. A warning for those under 25: You just might like this. It's one hundred more times better than the new Halloween movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars the most scary movie i ever seen, July 28 2002
This review is from: Madman (Widescreen) (DVD)
this is for me the most realism movie i ever seen!the boogeyman are very scary and i suggest to everybody who like scary movie to watch it!

4.0 out of 5 stars So Baaaad It's Good, May 6 2002
S. Foster (Moira, Co Armagh United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman (Widescreen) (DVD)
I recall, as a 9 year old when this video was released watching it with my cousins & being petrified. Now a bit older & wiser I found this DVD by default after searching for it (when my cousins & I reminisced about the night in question). Watching the movie again as a 28 year old, I can not only appreciate the brilliance of B-Rate Movies, but Madman's contribution to the library of horror & deranged serial killers (Freddy, Michael M, Jason V). Madman Mars, whose name should never be uttered above a whisper, is a deranged farmer with a bloodlust, whose murder of his family culminates in an urban legend, which sadly for the teenage group of campers (Friday 13th anyone?) who evoke Mars' wrath, results in his pursuit of them for one more night of fun & scares (for the watcher & actos respectively,lol). The movie is full of all those magical ingredients that modern-day movies such as Scream pay hommage to - sex before death, innocent dying, night-time, girlies running the wrong way, etc, etc. This is such good mindless fun, with unimaginative dialogue & Joan Collins quality acting. All in all a blast which genuinely causes a few scares. Mars is a real looker too by the way!!! Go on, have fun being scared (if you can get past the acting & dialogue). Very well shot though, this is the essence of early 80s horror. Grotesque fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthy edition beside your Friday the 13th collection, March 18 2002
Allen Ewasiuk (edmonton, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman (Widescreen) (DVD)
Takes place at a camp with counselors that are told about a story about Madman Mars and if you yell his name loud enough, he will come to get you. One loudmouth counselor does just that and all hell breaks loose. Mars is kind of creepy, but he is no Jason V.
A worthy edition to your slasher/horror collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Horror Movie!, Feb. 17 2002
This review is from: Madman (Widescreen) (DVD)
I was so overjoyed to see this movie on DVD! I am a horror movie fanatic and this has to be one of my top 5 scariest. The acting is amateur to say the least but the star of the movie is Madman Marz. There are no daytime scenes, the old house sends chills up your spine and the foggy silhouettes of huge Madman Marz are enough to frighten anyone. The opening scenes of him murdering his family (including his 2 small children) set the scene and let you know right away that he has no regard for human life. The mystery surrounding him, the slight glimpses you catch of him during the movie, the silence with which he moves about are all enough to keep you tense. Granted, there are several scenes (like the hot tub and the meditation in front of the fireplace) that could have met the cutting room floor, but overall if you could imagine yourself in the situation of these camp counselors, you probably wouldn't want to watch this one alone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Another FRIDAY THE 13TH clone, but fairly good., Jan. 12 2002
Ryan Clark (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman (Widescreen) (DVD)
As usual, this is another Friday the 13th clone, which borrows elements from many slashers from the 80's. But suprisingly, it is better than some of the rest of the pack. Quite original, in some parts (dig that death-under-a-car-hood scene!), but in a way, you feel you have watched Friday or Halloween once again for the 50th time.
The story is about a summer camp (surprise, surprise!) where a group of counselors and campers are telling ghost stories. The manager of the camp, Max, tells one about a man named "Madman Marz" (I know the name is corny) who murdered his family and was then hanged, but the body disappeared. Max claims that if you say his name above a whisper, he will come after you (this is supposed to be a true story). But then a disbelieving, idiot camper shouts his name out loud, and then for the rest of the night, there are murders galore by a hulking figure with a deformed face.
Most of the cast is unknowns to me, all except for Gaylen Ross(!), who starred in Dawn of the Dead and Creepshow. In some ways, this film is very disappointing, but on the other hand, the effects are very good (and very gory), and the atmosphere is spooky and disturbing. And everyone who you think won't die, does.
I would recommend this film to fans of the slasher genre, not to people who are looking for a masterpiece. I guess this film has gained somewhat of a cult following, and I can see why (most cheap horror films of the 80's have, including 1983's Sleepaway Camp and 1986's Mountaintop Motel Massacre). But don't get me wrong-- I would definately watch this again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Madman works!, Dec 2 2001
William M. Smith "tellchristian" (Louisville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman (Widescreen) (DVD)
I'm not sure what attracted me to this movie, but whatever it was, I'm glad I checked it out. I've always been a fan of slasher flicks (maybe it has something to do with the fact that I was born in 1980, around the time the founding fathers of slasher flicks were releashed -- Halloween and Friday the 13th). The slasher genre is probably my favorite because there are so many films from which to work when reviewing a slasher.
Madman takes place at a camp, complete with kids, teenage camp counselors, and the old guy who's supposed to be making sure the teenagers are watching the kids and not having sex with one another all of the time. The old guy's name is Max (Carl Fredericks) and we start out listening to one of his "campside stories." The story he spins for everybody is that of Madman Marz. A number of years ago, Max tells us, a farmer butchered his entire family and then went to the tavern for a beer. Although the town hanged him for his crimes, Marz escaped into the woods and was never heard from again. Max warns his camp not to say the name Madman Marz above a whisper or else they'll piss Marz off and he'll come to get them. At this point, your classic punk stands up and starts mocking the whole story, screaming out "Madman Marz!"
The Max character is weird because he doesn't act like your typical old guy -- he doesn't mind the teens drinking beer, he doesn't mind scaring the hell out of the little kids, and he always seems to know more than he's letting on. I've wondered whether or not Max was actually Marz. By the end of the movie, I was still not convinced that he wasn't. Max and Marz were played by different actors, but could there be a secret in the storyline that link Max and Marz? There's also a few scenes that place Max too far away from camp to be Marz while all of the killings are taking place. You'll see this weirdness about Max that I'm talking about if you check this film out.
The gory scenes in this movie are quite good. The killer uses an axe as his murder weapon, but we also see one of the teens' heads chopped off under the hood of a pickup truck. Pretty unique, huh? There are obvious similarities beyond the gore to Friday the 13th and Halloween. The music used throughout the film is the most obvious. Others include the "woods" and "camp" themes common in nearly all of the Friday movies. These similarities do not make Madman a "ripoff" -- Madman certainly has qualities that make it standout. For example, in the beginning of the movie, Marz is introduced to us as someone very human -- Max tells us that Marz goes to the tavern and drinks a beer after slaughtering his family. Can you imagine Michael Myers or Jason Voorhees sitting down for a beer after one of their kills ... Exactly!
With all good slasher movies, there's the issue of the killer's face. In the beginning of the film, we see Marz in silhouette, revealing only his wild hair and large body. Eventually we see his face shot from several darkly lit and obscure angles. In fact, his face isn't "clearly" seen until near the end of the movie. And even then, it's shot from a moving camera looking up, a technique that has the tendency to conceal whatever it's filming.
Another commonality in slasher films is the sparing of at least one of the teens. This way, someone gets to tell their story to the cops or whoever ends up coming to rescue the camp when it's all over. My guess was that Betsy (Alexis Dubin) would be spared because of her savior-like role. I won't tell you if my assumption turned out to be true, you'll have to find out for yourself. The actress who portrayed Betsy was credited in this film as Alexis Dubin, but she previously appeared in the horror classic Dawn of the Dead as Gaylen Ross. She does an excellent job portraying the smart one of the bunch, even though she makes a few stupid decisions here and there. If I had to pick a smart one, though, it would definitely be her!
Without reservation I add Madman to my list of favorite 80's slasher movies. The DVD quality is excellent -- I only witnessed one scene in which the scream doesn't match up with the victim's mouth. This little error is forgivable considering the wonderful quality that's been preserved in this DVD. Check this one out, folks! Rating: 4 / 4.
SMITH TALKS: The Future of Movie Reviews ...

Madman (Widescreen)
Madman (Widescreen) by Joe Giannone (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 104.20