5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Now
This is an amazing movie in every way. After watching it, I want to find a girl with no arms or legs to date! Hot!
Published on Sept. 25 2003 by CharlesTurner

3.0 out of 5 stars Chopping Helena
This movie is so weird...This guy falls in love with a woman named Helena and will do anything to keep her...and when I say any thing..I mean ANY THING...It's kind of long and drawn out and then a surprise ending..Check it Out ..U might like it.
Published on Sept. 12 2001 by kmartinklover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Now, Sept. 25 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Whatever Happened to Julian Sands?, April 25 2004
April D. Harkness (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boxing Helena (Widescreen) (DVD)
Poor guy got stuck in this movie. That's what. After watching A Room With A View I immediately bought Boxing Helena. Big mistake. Even renting it would have been a waste of money. I heard from friends it was a horrid movie but I was going to watch it with an open mind. At least if it was bad I could stare at Julian Sand, hear his wonderful accent ane be content. No....this has got to be the worst movie made. Some of the scenes were downright laughable. When Sherilyn Fenn get her legs run over by the car....the way the scene played out made me and my roomates burst into laughter.
Couldn't control my giggles at Bill Paxton with a mullet overacting in every scene. Julian Sands character was such a wimp. In his case, hamming his performance up might have been better in this movie. Didn't care for him at all, even with his sexy accent. Sherilyn Fenn, I was wishing Julian Sands character would take our her lungs.
(...)
The ending....it could have been ten times better without that silly dream sequence.
And don't get me started on the sex scene. Julian Sands kissing HElena Bonham Carter at the end of A Room With A View was ten times sexier than the scene in Boxing Helena.
If I could give it less than 1 star I would. I wondered why after seeing A Room With A View, how come I haven't seen him in anything else. After watching garbage like Boxing Helena I understand. Must try and find another good Julian Sands movie now, if there is one to be had besides A Room With A View. Boxing Helena was not it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and evocative film, Nov. 17 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Boxing Helena (Widescreen) (DVD)
Approximately 3/4 of the way through this film, there is a wonderful scene between Julian Sands' character and the Fantasy Lover/Nurse played by Nicolette Scorsese. The background music is from Enigma's Sadeness Pt.1 and this one scene alone makes viewing the entire film worthwhile.
On an entirely different note, this film boasts small supporting roles by, of all people, Art Garfunkel(Simon & Garfunkel)and Kurtwood Smith(Red from That 70's Show and Clarence Boddicker from Robocop). What a world!!

1.0 out of 5 stars A DUD!, Oct. 1 2003
This review is from: Boxing Helena (Widescreen) (DVD)
First and only time director Jennifer Chambers Lynch (daughter of David Lynch) tries following in daddy's foot steps, the result is a faulty misfire of a movie without an ounce of quality or value. To add insult to injury the performances are just as bad as the direction. Passing on this script and project was the best thing Kim Basinger ever did. Was it the director's fault, the actor's fault? Well maybe. But I think the whole promise was a bad idea.

2.0 out of 5 stars provocative concept but extremely uneven in every way, July 1 2003
"ll4life" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boxing Helena (Widescreen) (DVD)
Okay. As a huge David Lynch fan (I gather like many folks who went to see the film), I thought I have a look at his daughter's film debut (and only film to date? I wonder why) to see what all the fuss was about. I remember the film when it was in theaters a decade ago. I also recalled the whole controversy over Kim Basinger's departure from the project.
Seeing the DVD on the shelf in my favorite video store, I decided to give it a chance. Well, I have to say I don't see what the big hoopla was all about. The film played like a pumped up B movie potboiler melodrama and/or parody of one. Because Jennifer Chambers Lynch couldn't decide on the "tone" of the film, we are left to guess what her intentions were. I agree with other reviewers that the camerawork is extremely pretentious in a bad way and the script leaves much to be desired.
Dr. Nick Cavanagh (Julian Sands) is obsessed with the very chilly and cruel Helena (Sherilyn Fenn) after having a one night stand with her awhile back. She loathes him and wants nothing to do with him. His equally chilly and cruel mom has just passed away and left him the palatial family estate. He moves in and things go downhill for him from there.
I think if this film had been released under more subtle circumstances such as the work of a first-time filmmaker and been thought of as an experimental indie instead of commercial studio fare by the daughter of David Lynch, it would have been received more positively. The controversy may have generated audience interest in the film initially but it certainly didn't sustain it. I would argue it actually hurt the film's reception in general.
I like the idea of exploring the nature of a man's sexual obsession and his enslavement to it but like many others, I don't buy into "Boxing Helena" premise. Set mainly in this mansion of sorts, Cavanagh is Dr. Frankenstein and Helena is his "creation." Is his idealized woman one without arms and legs? Is beauty just skin deep? We never get a sense of "why" Nick is obsessed with her. He has a seemingly understanding girlfriend - why Helena over her. Additionally, Fenn's character of Helena is so underdeveloped and one-dimensional. She does okay in the part nevertheless. Sands' Nick is also at a loss as well. I'm thinking a derivative of a Norman Bates for the 1990s. With all his mother issues, you would think an intelligent man would seek a shrink asap. At least, his colleagues at the hospital should have noticed the doctor's odd behavior and institutionalized him on the spot. Poor Julian Sands - he is not a bad actor but seems to be stuck in some bad movie projects. Also, why is Art Garfunkel in this film!?!? Bill Paxton has a supporting role as Helena's studly, wannabe rocker/musician (?) boyfriend but he is also underutilized in the film except for acting out the macho man that Nick isn't apparently.
Also, one thing I did find hilarious are the extra-textual references to Sands' earlier film, Merchant-Ivory's A Room with a View (1986)in which he played the enigmatic hero George Emerson who romances and wins the young heroine Lucy Honeychurch, played by actress Helena Bonham-Carter! If you watch the film, pay attention to the soundtrack and dialogue.
Is Lynch taking a stab at Merchant-Ivory's polite notion of love's passions? Maybe and may not since there isn't any guiding focus to the film.
Though highly flawed, you may want to have a look and have fun playing the critic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting Discovers Obsession, June 18 2003
D. Gold (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boxing Helena (Widescreen) (DVD)
Boxing Helena is a film that's given me dreams and nightmares. Ever since I saw this film, I occasionally think about the beautiful obsession. It's very provocative, a must-see movie if your into beautiful delirious images. If you love David Lynch films than you'll like Jennifer Chambers Lynch.

1.0 out of 5 stars I love my fellow man too much to recommend this to ANYONE!, Nov. 27 2002
C. K. Ogi (NW MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boxing Helena (Widescreen) (DVD)
Oh...how many ways can the English language convey 'GARBAGE.'? The best two words ever combined to illustrate garbage are 'Boxing Helena.'
Let's just overlook the fact that the premise defies any reasonable suspension of disbelief. (And while I agree that some films stretch that...you can work with said films on said suspension if given half a reason through other attributes of the film...which even THIS can't provide) The story, while great for a short story read, (Stephen King's 'Survivor Type' is far superior in terms of frivolous amputation) just doesn't seem to work for this medium. Although, to be fair, I think the fault for this lies also in the screenwriting, directing, 'special effects,' etc.
The acting is the final nail in this coffin. If the actors were directed to play up the camp nature of this story, it might have worked as a black comedy...but the cast attempts to raise the level of this titantically-sunk piece in a futile attempt at legitimate filmmaking. Bill Paxton has all the prowess in the part of Ray as if he were a first-time soap actor.
Please...please...if you love your DVD player at all...do not taint it with this!

2.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer is not her father., Jan. 8 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Boxing Helena (Widescreen) (DVD)
Boxing Helena is one of those frustrating movies. For me, they are more painful to watch then outright bad movies, for this is not a terrible movie. It is a mediocre movie that tries with all its might to be great. Unfortunately, it just falls short. The concept makes for an interesting and pretty original story, intended to be a journey into obsessive lust. (Sands plays a man who had a *very* short affair with Helena, and cannot get his mind off of her.) Sherilyn Fenn is beautiful (as always) as Helena, and plays the part wonderfully, but unfortunately even her talent alone cannot save this movie. the script and the rest of the acting is mediocre. it seems like Sands is constantly struggling with his part (although to his credit, he doesn't do a *bad* job), and Bill Paxton and his mediocre "talent" just seem out of place and his character is rather hard to believe. Would beautiful, siren-esque, succubus Helena really date a guy with a mullet? And then there is the ending, which unfortunately was compromised upon release, but Lynch had no other option, apart from the film not being released at all. (The planned ending would have done away with the last scene and its twist. You'll see upon viewing that she had to take the "safe" route.) So, if you're a hardcore David Lynch fan, I might recommend at least one viewing of it, just to see what his daughter is capable of, (which I believe to be much more than this movie shows), but the casual viewer should probably look elswhere. I'll give this film two stars for originality, and Fenn's wonderful performance. It is ashame her talents have been ignored due to The Scarlet "L". Some will know i speak of the phenomenon well known among Lynch fans in which actors who work with him have their talents virtually ignored by Hollywood, no matter how outstanding they may be. (there are a few exceptions, mainly when the performer was already known well, in such cases as Dennis Hopper and Nicholas Cage.) David Lynch fans may also be interested in a little piece of trivia. Jennifer's favorite toy as a child was the "baby" from her father's Eraserhead, which she would play with on the set. Boxing Helena will make a lot more sense with that knowledge in mind. Summing up, I would have to say, proceed with caution. You may enjoy this movie more than I did, and if so, good for you, but just be warned that just because you see the name "Lynch" does not mean you will get the caliber you're used to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seen it, love David, but dad didn't make this..., Nov. 21 2001
This review is from: Boxing Helena (Widescreen) (DVD)
I wanted to like this movie because of the sensational way in which it entered the market place -- lawsuits ablazing, etc. AND because of the David Lynch connection. But where dear ol' dad gleefully interjects outrageous violence into strange storylines and seems to tap into the naive nature of humans in strange and frightening circumstances, often bringing those naive humans to a new level of understanding or at least creating an exciting performance, THIS Lynch's debut is awkward, stilted, and not very sexy. Julian Sands' performance is so overwrought and irritatingly mannered it's like watching a 6 hour improve from a bad student actor trying to break some Guiness record for sniffling, sniveling whining. Sands can be good, but this was so artificial feeling and cloying, it has affected my enjoyment (negatively) of every movie with Sands I've seen since. What I remember most about this movie is that I wanted it to end as soon as it began. Gothic moods and a sensational plot idea are not enough to save this piece of drivel.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Flowers Are Fresh., Oct. 25 2001
This review is from: Boxing Helena (Widescreen) (DVD)
Of all the love stories ever filmed, this has got to be the most touching and realistic. I have recommended it to many friends and even gave it to one couple as a wedding present. It is outstanding in every way!
If you have never seen this movie, I will not spoil it for you. I will say, though, that Helena is the perfect woman. I mean perfect! Literally every man's fantasy.
I wish I could say more, but you need to be surprised when you see it. Get it. Today. You won't be sorry.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Boxing Helena (Widescreen)
Boxing Helena (Widescreen) by Jennifer Chambers Lynch (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 37.77