march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on November 18, 2002
I have mixed feelings, even though I am a declared Herzog's fan. It's not a [bad] movie, don't get me wrong. It's very well done, like all Herzog productions - pictures, music, atmosphere etc. - no dissappointments here. First I thought it was Kinski that was not here. Well, his absence is certainly challenging to both the director and a viewer, but on the second thought no, it sure is not Kinski that misses here. I am simply not sure if I like the moral concept of the movie. War, abuse, violence - I am against too, but it should have been sad less straight-forwardly than just "war is bad, violence is bad, those guys are poor". He doesnt say that of course, but you can feel it - and it makes the movie sound like a Dangler's confession, really, and I dont feel well in a priest's shoes. Then I thought it could be a good documentary, but somehow Herzog cannot keep a necessary distance, he is obviously engaged while reportage should keep a colder distance and not be so charged with emotions, which makes the movie lose out on artistic atmosphere. So? I think buy it only if you know what you are doing. There are better Herzogs out there to start with first. You can always come back later.