5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!
Published on Dec 10 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed
Published on Dec 28 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, Dec 10 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Christmas With Chanticleer & D (Audio CD)
As a long-time Chanticleer fan, I was anxious to experience this album. It is truly a wonderful collection of songs. From the classic renditions of familiar Christmas tunes such as "The First Nowell" and "Stille Nacht" to the intricately beautiful arrangements of "Suo Gân" and "Es ist ein' Ros' entsprungen," to upbeat songs such as "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem" and "Noel Nouvelet" -- the men of Chanticleer offer a showcase of their talents with this collection. It will easily become a favorite for those music lovers who appreciate not only the music of the season, but the beauty of the human voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful addition to any Christmas collection, Dec 26 2001
rentagoodbook (Chicago Suburbs, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Christmas With Chanticleer & D (Audio CD)
Before receiving this CD for Christmas, I'd not heard much of Chanticleer. I attended a recital of Dawn Upshaw's this past summer, so when I saw this Christmas CD, I was intrigued. After giving it a listen, I am most impressed. This is a wonderful collection of traditional and not-so-traditional Christmas songs with arrangements familiar and new. As you can see from the track listing, Ms. Upshaw is featured in a handful of the songs on this CD-it's a nice balance between songs which include her voice and those which feature just the men of Chanticleer.
As for those songs which include Ms. Upshaw (esp. "This is the truth...", "Esta noche nace un Niño", and "Stille Nacht"), her voice sounds lovely, very pure & clear of tone. Especially on "Esta noche...", her voice reminded me of Kathleen Battle's (in tone quality, flexibility, etc.).
On every single track, Chanticleer's blend is superb. Their purity of sound makes the textures of the arrangements that much more clear. I loved the arrangement of "Coventry Carol" and "Stille Nacht", especially. It's a nice change from my Cambridge Singers CD's, and I would recommend it as a wonderful addition to any Christmas collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly!, Jan. 20 2002
M. B Hazen "Madge Bruner Hazen" (Jacksonville, Fla.) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Christmas With Chanticleer & D (Audio CD)
Chanticleer is one of the finest examples of the sublime love of music, created musical perfectionists. A men's choral group, Chanticleer is a top ticket for excellence, either in concert or on disc. They have made more than ten, and their repertoire will open your ears. From Christmas music to Mexican polyphony, "Satin Doll, and soulful spirituals,Chanticleer caresses each work as a beautiful treasure, or crackling jewel. Soprano Dawn Upshaw, who has been touring with orchestras, adds a shimmering touch to the unusual variety of seasonal music on this CD. Her crystal clear tones fit beautifully with Chanticleer. It's a wonderful Christmas CD for your collection, especially if you need a touch of silver for contrast with your full-packed seasonal collection...Madge Bruner Hazen

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure, moving holiday music - a unique, novel sound, Nov. 26 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Christmas With Chanticleer & D (Audio CD)
Though my wife is an opera singer, my knowledge of what constitutes "good" music is reduced to simply what sounds "good" to me! So while I can't tell you why this CD is good, I can tell you that it clearly is.
From the opening song--a crisp, pure tone from Dawn Upshaw--you will realize that this is not typical holiday music fare. It's not the brassy, celebratory music we're accustomed to hearing during the holidays. Instead, it has an "old" feel to it, capturing the tone of early music.
The variety present on this CD is incredible. From a Spanish song of joy to African American spirituals.
We've had this CD for only 2 days, but it has received continuous play.
Give it a try and be amazed by what this CD has to offer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting selections; beautiful singing, Oct. 23 2003
Amy Keene "filleirlandaise" (Springfield, MO United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Christmas With Chanticleer & D (Audio CD)
This CD is quite excellent, but I've knocked off one star for a simple reason: Dawn Upshaw. It's not that her voice isn't beautiful, but gee whiz, I wanted to hear Chanticleer! I felt that in the songs she sang, she completely dominated them, so my favorite songs on the CD are the ones which Chanticleer sings without her.
I think my favorite on this CD was "The Huron Carol." I liked it because it is something different from the usual holiday fare (I'm getting awfully bored with most of what choirs usually sing for Christmas) and it expresses a completely different understanding of the miracle of Christ's birth. If you're looking for something new for a jaded Christmas music palate, this is certainly the CD to do it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful collection of both familiar and unfamiliar works, Dec 2 2002
Neal Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Christmas With Chanticleer & D (Audio CD)
The absolute highlight here is Distler's setting of "Lo How A Rose E'er Blooming", a fantasia based on the familiar tune. Dawn Upshaw's solo on the third verse is especially appealing.
Also especially notable is Healey Wilan's "The Three Kings" with its hushed, reverent opening building to an ecstatic climax.
And also especially appealing is the "Mary and the Baby Medley" which includes "What Child Is This" along with a traditional German carol and two African-American spirituals.
This medley then leads into a beautiful rendition of "Stille Nacht". Definitely recommended for those who love the more classical Christmas music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The finest Christmas compilation I've ever heard., Jan. 18 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Christmas With Chanticleer & D (Audio CD)
I saw and met Chanticleer in person this past Christmas, while they were touring with the music from this CD, and it may be hard for those who do not know of Chanticleer and have not heard them, but they actually sound BETTER live. Of course, I prefer all vocal ensembles live, but the palette they have put together in this album is awe-inspiring. What a great ministry to Gospel through music of Christ's birth! This recording is so amazing that I guarantee that you will NOT want to stop listening to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, June 21 2004
Krista Casada - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Christmas With Chanticleer & D (Audio CD)
These are a cappella renditions of songs from a variety of sources; Chanticleer's style gives almost all of them a distinctly medieval feel. Beautiful arrangements, but don't expect to understand all the lyrics, even when you speak the featured language. The faked accents (as on "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem," where I guess they were trying for Ozark mountain hillbilly and wound up with my home dialect) can be moderately annoying.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed, Dec 28 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Christmas With Chanticleer & D (Audio CD)
The musical arrangements and content are excellent--what we've come to expect from the group. Chanticleer is best known for its straight-tone singing. Dawn Upshaw's contributions on this CD use a rich vibrato. Upshaw is a fine soprano, don't get me wrong, but she doesn't mix well with Chanticleer. It's like serving a thick, cloying dessert wine with broiled fish. Heavy vibrato doesn't belong in the choral idiom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, Nov. 16 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Christmas With Chanticleer & D (Audio CD)
This disc is filled with the flawless, pristine singing Chanticleer's admirers have come to expect. Upshaw's ravishing soprano adds to the beauty of this inspiring and festive collection. Highly recommended.

Christmas With Chanticleer & D
Christmas With Chanticleer & D by Chanticleer; Upshaw (Audio CD - 2001)