5.0 out of 5 stars Great transfer even greater Story!
The story of stargate sg-1 is simply amazing and is of course something that few would ever have guessed it would be where it is today.
Published on March 9 2004 by Jason

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I decided to write a review after finish watching the entire Season 1. This way, I can give a fair review.
The reason I bought this DVD set was because I enjoyed the movie version and saw the pilot episode. Since the rest of Season 1 was not available here in Japan, my only alternative was to get it here.
I was very disappointed. The script was really bad. I...
Published on May 3 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Stargate SG1: Really, it's a show for everyone, July 4 2004
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 1 (DVD)
So, this is how I discovered the beauty that is "Stargate". Only the first season has made its way to the network channels here in Sweden and that was a couple of years ago. I remember tuning into the first 6-7 episodes, but there wasn't really that much that held my interest. I remember seeing "The Nox" (or as I referred to them at the time - "the Cirque the Soleil people"), "Brief Candle" (or "the one where O'Neill gets really old, really quick") and "Tin Man" ("Hey, there's two of them!"). Like I said, I didn't feel like this was a show that had much to say, it didn't feel interesting enough.
How wrong was I? Well, I feel really bad that I let it go so quickly because I stumbled across it again lately and what can I say...? I love it. I really do. Actually, I'm *in* love with it, and *very* few tv-shows make me feel this way ("Firefly" is one of them). So, on the plus side I now have a whole sea of seasons worth of catching up to do.
So, what made me change my mind? Well, the first answer to that question would be the character of Daniel Jackson and Michael Shanks' portrayal of him. The character is passionate, caring, curious, intelligent and so much more. And, let's face it, in my eyes that makes him damn attractive, too. (And it gets even better in the seasons to come). I actually watched the movie "Stargate" and thought that Jackson (then played by James Spader) was my absolute favorite aspect of that movie. Same with the series, I adore the character.
Then there's the wonderful wit and charisma of Jack O'Neill (Richard Dean Anderson) who thankfully took a different direction with the character than Kurt Russell did in the movie. Not that Russell was bad, but RDA's many, *many* one-liners are part of what makes the show so enjoyable to watch. That, and the interaction between the "core four" (Jack, Daniel, Sam and Teal'c). Oh, the witty and wonderful dialogue. Oh, the sarcastic comments. Oh, the hilarious banter between Jack and Daniel.
The only reason this does not get the highest rating is because the first season is still a work in progress, but the chemistry between all the characters is definetely there and that's what makes the show so entertaining to watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Off To A Good Start, April 9 2004
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 1 (DVD)
Stargate SG-1 is my favorite show. Ever.
I'm not a Sci-Fi nut- I tend to gravitate more towards sitcoms and the like. But Stargate isn't just for Sci-Fi addicts. The show is so rich that you can't help but be drawn in.
There are those who dislike the series, yes. Personally, I can't see why. There are plot-holes- the fact that the entire Universe appears to speak English is a bit off-setting. But the rest of the show more than makes up for its failings.
I'm personally of the opinion that some people dislike the show because it's so very different from typical Sci-Fi. The show is set on earth in modern day, with characters who are fallible and less than perfect. The simple realism of the show puts off some Sci-Fi fans- how the good doesn't always win, how the lines between good and bad aren't so clear-cut.
Season One is probably the worst season of Stargate. It's still worth watching and simply quite entertaining, but it is also lacking in many areas. Several of the episodes are less than excellent; the story-lines can be shaky and the characterizations uncertain. However, the writers soon hit their strides, and by the end of the season some truly good material is produced. The season ender is one of the best episodes in the series, and is the first episode where the dynamic between the members of SG-1 truly developes.
Stargate is the one show I've seen- ever- where the episodes are consistently good. Even the worst episodes- Brief Candle comes to mind- are worth watching. It's an intelligent show, packed with emotion and humor and action.
The continuity is another high point. So many small splot devices in the first season are later continued; characters you'd never expect to see again are reintroduced over and over. Each season- each episode- builds upon the previous ones, and it is perhaps due to this that the series as a whole is so compelling.
Of the first season, there are several episodes that are well-worth watching more than once. Broca Divide is good entertainment, Cold Lazarus is heart-breaking, the Torment of Tantalus fascinating, Hathor and Singularity good fun, Tin Man chilling, and Within the Serpent's Grasp simply excellent. They easily make up for the weaker additions- Emancipation, Brief Candle, and Politics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gateway to Extreme Entertainment, March 20 2004
Andrew "Radaar" (Chicago, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 1 (DVD)
There are some ideas that seem to work better as a movie than as a show, or better as a TV show than movie. For example, I think something like FOX's Wonderfalls (I haven't seen it; I'm judging from previews) or Tru Calling would be a better idea as one feature film rather than a weekly TV show. I'm not saying they don't work as TV shows, they might just work better as films. Stargate, on the other hand, is completely opposite. Don't get me wrong; I loved the Stargate movie. It had a good plot, and it served as a good prequel to the TV show. However, The idea of multiple Stargates is so much more believeable than just two. After all, what is the point of only having a desert planet and a planet with rebellious humans? So Stargate: SG-1 is born. It follows the adventures of Col. Jack O'Neill (now with two "l's" and played by Richard Dean Anderson), Dr. Daniel Jackson (now Michael Shanks), Capt. Samantha Carter (the beautiful Amanda Tapping), and the former Goa'ould warrior Teal'c (Christopher Judge). They are SG-1, one of nine SG teams of the SGC (Stargate Command) led by General Hammond (Don S. Davis). They go to different planets on missons of exploration, diplomacy, and national security. Each planet brings about new problems, such as the planet where people age one year every day, the planet inhabitted by Mongolians, and the planet of the pacifistic Nox (led by Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Armin Shimmerman).
This season seems to focus on more episodic plots with a core story arc rather than a major arc with many offshoots (like 24, Alias, or Angel). Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with shows that are episodic, but I do enjoy a good arc, and there were times when I was really antsy to find out about what happened with Apophis and Skaara (Alexis Cruz). I was a little disappointed that Cruz was only in two episodes, but I liked what they did with him.
My favorite episodes were definitely the one that dealt with the overall story involving the fight against the Goa'oulds. That's not to say the the episodic adventures weren't engaging. I especially like the episode "Tin Man". At first, when you realize what has happened to SG-1, you sorry for them, but at the same time, you kind of envy them. Then, when the truth is revealed at the end, it is almost impossible not to feel a little sad for the doubles. The episode "Brief Candle" was also a great stand-alone. It was about O'Neill becoming infected with little things that made him and the rest of the planet's population age at an accelerated rate. Some other good episodes (both stand-alone and arc) include the pilot, "Children of the Gods", "The Enemy Within", "The Nox", "Hathor", "Solitudes", "There But For The Grace of God", "Politics", and "Within the Serpent's Grasp". I can't wait to see what happens next season, and I would definitely reccomend this to any sci-fi fan. If you are not that big on sci-fi, you might want to check it out before you buy it, but I stand by my beliefs that this is one of TV's greatest shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great transfer even greater Story!, March 9 2004
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 1 (DVD)
I seen the movie when it came out and was amazed at the story and it was one of the few movies I really enjoyed and watched a lot (I was young when it came out) and I didn't have Showtime when sg1 was airing. Luckily the DVDs came out shortly and I immediately purchased the DVDs the day that came out and was amazed at the quality. The acting was great the special effects were great and everything.
I have always loved anything to do with ancient Egyptian ways and aliens. This show brings both together seamlessly and it comes with a great cast. All diverse yet totally in sync with each other. Teal`c is amazingly funny. If you watch this show all in a week (or the whole series for that matter) you might find your self saying I concur and indeed almost religiously.
I don't believe this show would make it today because network executives are so crazy about what they put out on the air these days it's hard for an original series to make it. Now on to some technical details.
The DVDs are widescreen and the transfers are great minimal grain which is to be expected and overall just looks incredibly nice on my widescreen TV. Also this season has a nice audio track though sadly this season is 2.0 Dolby surround opposed to the later seasons being 5.1 Dolby digital which is to be EXPERIENCED!
The extras on the set isn't nothing spectacular and sadly doest get much better as the seasons go on I wish they would include more behind the scenes and documentaries because this show is so worthy of it!
Just decided to write a review about this DVD set since I just got through watching season 6 that came out last week. And season 7 is wrapping up this month.
Bottom line if you never seen this show and your wondering if you should invest a long amount of time on a huge show like this I feel if you like sci-fi and original stories (possibly 1-2 shows top for season 1-5 that aren't amazing) that entertain and make you think and do research on the internet after you see the show this is the series to watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best series nod..., Feb. 7 2004
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 1 (DVD)
I bought Stargate seasons 1 & 2 a month ago, ordered 3-5 as soon as I finished the first two, and am half-way through season 3 at this writing. All I can say is this is one of the most imaginative and engaging series on TV, and certainly the most underrated. I'm totally hooked.
The thing I like most about the series is the continuity between episodes, which deal on a regular basis with history, mythology, archeology, religion and other thought-provoking subjects. Of course, there is the expected introduction and use of technology, but it rarely dominates the story...it merely provides a vehicle to tell it. I find this to be a refreshing change from Star Trek.
This series is like a novel I can't put down. I feel more like I'm watching a long movie as opposed to a series of hour-long TV episodes. The plot twists keep me glued to the set...and I'm not a TV watcher. Highly recommended, and not just for the "Star Trek" types. I think there's enough drama and passion in the series to satisfy those of softer hearts.
If you're wondering whether you should spring for the series, let me tell you...this would be a must-have at any reasonable cost. ......

1.0 out of 5 stars I can not stand this program., Jan. 12 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 1 (DVD)
I find this show to be absolutely worthless. At times we get to see an entertaining action sequence and some good speacial effects, but a show can not run off of those simple elements. A show like this does not take talent, just money.
People say this show has great stories. This show has almost no story ark, and the episodes become unbelievably repetitive. After a while they all seem to start off with General Hammond briefing them on yet another irrelevant plan when all of a sudden the Stargate is accessed and some alien comes through to kill everyone. The one type of episode is when the team visits a planet with aliens trying to kill them there. What I find really annoying is when they simply solve all ov their problems by doing something like "rerouting auxillary power through the alpha energy channels, freezing the enemy computer matrix and jamming the data flow in order to encode the gate's address and shutting out aggresive etc..." and then everyone says "Oh why didn't we think of that?"
The characters and the acting are also nothing impressive. Jack is an obnoxous hot-shot, Sam and Daniel are goofy smarties who can not in the least portray characteristics of a soldier, and Teal'c is no more then a big muscle-head with a Mr Spock complex.
I far prefer Farscape to this. Although it does not have nearly as many speacial effects, it is still extremely entertaining with great story arcs, humour, romance and drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars My fav sci-fi show, Dec 29 2003
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 1 (DVD)
Or well my favorite show of any genre <g> Might be spoilers ahead if you haven't watched any episodes yet, but I don't think it'll give anything much away.
It started off .. oh .. a few so years ago when I was on vacation and I unsuspectingly sat down to watch Richard Dean Anderson's new show. For all you kids who didn't experience the late 80s .. that's MacGyver. I loved the show, but now when you see the mullet .. ooh, horrible <g> I also watched Stargate (the movie) and it was interesting enough. So I watched an episode - The Nox, I think. And you know what, I thought it was absolutely horrid! And it wasn't just me. But don't worry, all is not lost. So back home, a couple of months later. I managed to catch the ending of an episode .. Children Of The Gods Part II. The dungeon part at the end. And it just blew me away. I was like OMG, how can it be sooooooo good?! How could I not know that? And since then I've been an uber-fan.
Granted the first season had it's ups and downs. I never did end up liking The Nox - even after a few times watching it. Some episodes you would definitely need some 'background' into the whole SG1 universe before watching later episodes. Some notable episodes would be - COTG, Torment of Tantalus, There But For The Grace of God, Within The Serpent's Grasp. You will not be disappointed with the plot lines, acting, special effects .. and whatever else. I think it's because the Stargate gives endless possibilities .. they're not stuck on a spaceship all the time, as their focal point .. for example. And as you go through this 1st season you'll see what I mean.
I can't comment much on the special features of the DVDs (because I haven't seen them all) but if you're a fan you'll love all the Behind The Scenes stuff. Especially love the video diary with the actors .. where they take you through the set, with their little commentaries. The DVD box set is packaged nicely enough, and is consistent in its appearance throughout all other seasons i.e. Season 1 - 5. So it's easy & nice to store as you add on with your collection - for example Region 2 has 6 discs, so it's a little more bulky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stargate = Best...SciFi...Ever, Oct. 20 2003
Gary ONeal (Nashville, Tn) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 1 (DVD)
Even though I'm a life-long fan of all things Sci-Fi, I was skeptical of Stargate at first. After all, the movie was only so-so to begin with. When the series came to Showtime it was no big deal to me because I did not get Showtime and, again, the movie was no big deal. When the series moved to the Sci-fi channel I was even more skeptical. After all, I've yet to see any 'original' programming on the Sci-Fi channel that wasn't complete garbage. However, I started tuning in on and on-again, off-again basis and began to realize, "Hey - this is good stuff." So I started watching it regularly in no time at all I was hooked.
Stargate is as good as sci-fi gets and better by far than most any other sci-fi offering out there. The special effects and writing are better than anything Star Trek and Star Wars have come up with since 1982. (Star Trek would sell it's soul to be Stargate and Star Wars, completely lacking in soul, just can't compete.) The writing is very, very good and ranges from extreme hard-core sci-fi to witty and light-hearted fare. And when the action kicks into overdrive - oh baby, just hang on and ride it out. Not even Miami Vice can match Stargate's gunplay.
The first season does a good job of setting the storyline and by the time you reach the first season finale you'll see why Stargate fans are so vociferous in their defense of this show. The last show of Season 1 and the first show of season 2 are better by far than ST:TNG's Best of Both Worlds.
Whadday waiting for - order this already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-fi the way you always wanted it, July 21 2003
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 1 (DVD)
I think most people are like me when it comes to sci-fi TV. We've all been frustrated when Captain Janeway picks up a piece of alien technology in one episode but completely forgets that it exists by the next. We get seriously ticked when an old alien nemesis suddenly becomes best buddies with our heroes. And we can't stand to see the same over-used plot rehashed once again without at least an attempt to "freshen it up a bit."
So when Stargate: SG-1 was first introduced, I approached it with caution. After all, I had liked the movie (liked, mind you, not loved), but I couldn't see how anyone would be able to make it into an ongoing series. But by the end of the pilot episode -- well, let's just say I was one slack-jawed, remote control dropping sci-fi monkey.
I think the big secret is the fact that they have broken all of the old sci-fi rules. This series does what I've always wished every other series would do. For example, let's just take a look at alien weaponry, shall we? In a series like "Star Trek:Voyager," for example, the crew might find just the ticket for their attacking-alien woes when they run across some piece of alien weaponry. Fine and dandy -- but before the end of the season they'll run across a half dozen other threats where that same weapon would do wonders and no one will even think to mention it. Come on! At least give me Chakotay scratching his head and saying, "That alien doo-hickey we used to defeat the Borg would sure come in handy right about now."
In SG-1, there are at least half a dozen alien toys that get used in nearly every episode. The ever popular Zat gun, for example, was found somewhere along the way and, though hastily explained, became a mainstay of the show. Nifty. And not just for one episode or one season, but for the full run of the show!
And if the SG-1 team makes a new friend, count on seeing them again down the road. That's just the kind of universe they live in.
The big difference between the series and the film is the fact that we get to know the characters. We get to like them. I mean, who could like the hard-as-stone O'Neil played by Kurt Russell better than the wise-cracking, laugh-in-the-face-of-danger O'Neill from the series? Maybe it's just me, but I crack up all the time from some little quip by O'Neil. That's the kind of TV that brings me back every week.
Buy this set. Buy the next one. And the next one, and the next one. Buy all of 'em, because they're worth it. I've bought the three sets that are currently available and will definitely buy season 4 when it comes out. They may not be packed with extras, but they are exactly what I've been looking for. This is Sci-fi the way I've always wanted it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Great Sci-Fi Is Made Of....., June 25 2003
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 1 (DVD)
When I heard that there was TV show coming out based on the movie Stargate, I was ecstatic. When I found out it was only going to be shown on Showtime (which I didn't have), I was upset. Then I found out that it's main character was McGyver, and I wasn't really excited anymore. I lost touch with it, and four years later, happened to catch an episode on the Sci-Fi channel. I was bummed that I hadn't seen any of the episodes.
Since then, I've become a huge fan. I rented the pilot episode, and loved it. There is action, humor, and great special effects. This, the first season was released, as I said, for Showtime. It was then purchased by Sci-Fi, and that's where it's been ever since. It has drawn a huge fanbase, large enough to merit GateCon, an annual convention similar to those the Star Trek fans know.
The first season expands on many of the themes that were touched on in the film. The Goa'uld (not mentioned by name in the film) are the parasites that are mentioned. During this season, we see the true nature of these parasites. We are also introduced to countless peoples from planets visited by the team, which is now called SG-1.
If you liked the movie, you'll love the series. Even if you didn't like the film, you might like SG-1, as I've heard many people say. Richard Dean Anderson (McGyver) plays the role that was played by Kurt Russell in the movie. Russell's very stoic, very angry Jack O'Neill is a stark contrast to the one played by Anderson. The reasons for this dramatic change are explained in the pilot episode.
There are a lot of episodes that I'd have to say are excellent, but my personal favorite is "Cold Lazarus". This episode delves into the subject of O'Neill's young son, who was tragically killed with O'Neill's gun several months before the events in the film take place.
Again, all the episodes are good, some better than others. Squeeze some space on the DVD rack between Red Planet and Star Trek for this one! It's 5 disks, so it'll take up some space!

Stargate SG-1: Season 1
Stargate SG-1: Season 1 by Jonathan Glassner (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 62.96 CDN$ 39.51