Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Stargate SG-1: Season 1
Format: DVDChange
Price:$39.98+$3.49shipping

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(1 star)show all reviews
on January 12, 2004
I find this show to be absolutely worthless. At times we get to see an entertaining action sequence and some good speacial effects, but a show can not run off of those simple elements. A show like this does not take talent, just money.
People say this show has great stories. This show has almost no story ark, and the episodes become unbelievably repetitive. After a while they all seem to start off with General Hammond briefing them on yet another irrelevant plan when all of a sudden the Stargate is accessed and some alien comes through to kill everyone. The one type of episode is when the team visits a planet with aliens trying to kill them there. What I find really annoying is when they simply solve all ov their problems by doing something like "rerouting auxillary power through the alpha energy channels, freezing the enemy computer matrix and jamming the data flow in order to encode the gate's address and shutting out aggresive etc..." and then everyone says "Oh why didn't we think of that?"
The characters and the acting are also nothing impressive. Jack is an obnoxous hot-shot, Sam and Daniel are goofy smarties who can not in the least portray characteristics of a soldier, and Teal'c is no more then a big muscle-head with a Mr Spock complex.
I far prefer Farscape to this. Although it does not have nearly as many speacial effects, it is still extremely entertaining with great story arcs, humour, romance and drama.
on June 19, 2001
To start, I have over 560 DVDs so I have some experience with them. I am also a great fan of SG-1 and spend a lot of time on various SG-1 sites.
First, these are ARTIFICALLY widescreen, images are stretched and you WILL see fat faces and circles, and other distortions. While I prefer widescreen when a movie is shot that way, these were originally shot full frame and should have stayed that way. Still, that isn't my main complaint.
The company who mastered these made a number of mistakes which are reported on a number of SG-1 message boards. In my case, starting with Broca Divide, voices are nearly inaudible unless you turn the stereo way up. The leaves rustling in the wind are still louder than the voices. Music and other sound effects scream and voices are barely a whisper. Supposedly Nox and a few other episodes also have this problem (haven't viewed them yet). Some say you can unplug one of the channels and get the voices. Why should we have to do that? And if you are using digital/optical sound "wiring" you can't do that.
Another problem is that the interlaced scene transistions will frequently "flash" bright white with thin dark horizontal lines. While you can ALMOST get used to this it is very annoying.
These are just mastering problems and can be fixed. I have not received a response from MGM but the store I bought them from will give me a full refund and are returning all copies FOR THEIR ENTIRE NATIONWIDE CHAIN to the distributor.
When Disney had a similar problem (no voice on the right channel for "The Black Hole") they issued a recall within the first week and replaced all defective copies already purchased. It's unfortunate that MGM has apparently ignored complaints in the US and Britian concerning the sound. I am anxiously waiting to buy all 5 season, but not until they are mastered correctly.
on January 6, 2003
I can't believe people are giving this 5 stars, the acting is bad, the whole movie looks cheap, and the script is bad. The script is written like a comedy as the actors try to make a joke in every situation. The budget for this series must of been low, as everything likes fake, it seems to be targeted for children, it can be compared to the Power Rangers show. The movie Star Gate was great, but this doesn't compare. I love Sci-Fi movies but this is really garbage, if you have any interest in this, watch an episode on the sci-fi channel before you buy it. I bought this set along with a x-files box set, If you like sci-fi the x-files is it.
on October 9, 2001
I am enormously disappointed in Season One, Stargate SG-1. I became a fan of Stargate during the 4th season.
The main reason... the ONLY reason... why I am disappointed is that the last episode on the last disk is a "TO BE CONTINUED" episode. They did not include the episode in the Box set.
3 Hours of TBC'ed on the last disk not to get the end? For $... I expected to see the last episode of Season one. Season one never airs, and season two is not out yet on DVD.
Very disappointed about that.. What's even worse... I NOW have to get Season 2.
At least the Saprano's Box Set includes the last episode.
on October 9, 2001
Very disappointed about that.. What's even worse... I NOW I have to get Season 2. ....
At least the Saprano's Box Set includes the last episode.