Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: Audio CDChange

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on December 5, 2003
I was a senior in high school when "The Chronic" came out. At the time Ice Cube was the only rapper from N.W.A who had been successful on his own, if you don't count "Eazy Duz It" from Eazy-E (released while E was still a member of N.W.A). M.C. Ren had released an EP that was not so good, and when I saw "The Chronic" I thought Dr. Dre just wasn't accomplished enough as a rapper to do a solo disc. But he had been the mastermind behind the amazingly innovative instrumentals of N.W.A's "Niggaz4Life" and I could hear right away on "The Chronic" that Dre was taking it to a whole new level. Gone were the simple scratches and keyboard beats and samples -- these songs had singing, and all sorts of melodies and layers of sound. Very smooth-- to go along with the consumption of the disc's title-- but more hardcore than ever. Sadly, gone also were any of the creative lyrics of Rakim, Ice-T, Kool Moe Dee and Big Daddy Kane. And who was this Snoop Doggy Dogg with his drawling sort of voice who joined in on so many tracks: "1-2-3 and to tha 4/ Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre is at your door/ ready to make an entrance . . ."? Not exactly original rhymes, but just try getting them out of your head. "The Day the Niggaz Took Over" is a piece of history as it reflects the rage during the Rodney King riots. "Lil' Ghetto Boy" also has some humanity-- otherwise there's a lot of rhymes about shooting "niggaz," sometimes with guest rappers who don't have very good voices for rap or good lyrics to their raps. So after I heard this album for the first time I thought it would flop. Imagine the shock when it became one of the bestselling rap albums of all time, and brought about the mainstream popularity of gangsta rap. I think Snoop Dogg is funny and charismatic but I miss the Compton and South Central of Ice-T and N.W.A, rather than his Long Beach. And I got so sick of the East Coast vs. West Coast wars, and the endless stream of posthumous Tupac CDs-- I never bought another rap CD again. Of course, now Dr. Dre is most famous for discovering and producing Eminem, so his vision of hip-hop continues to dominate the Billboard charts. Personally, I'd like to turn back the clock to a time in hip-hop before marijuana leaves were all over the disc and CD booklet with participants on the tracks getting high. I miss the anti-drug message of Ice-T's "I'm Your Pusher" or even Too Short's nasty but easy to follow lyrics. But maybe you're right-- I guess I'm just getting old.
on May 9, 2002
I'm sorry, but the "I'm just tellin' it like it is" defense can only be taken so far. Some of the violent, mysogynist lyrics on this CD are just too far over the edge to accept (I'm thinking about "Rat tat tat tat" in paticular). Yeah, the beats are dope, but Dre takes the thug life for granted the whole way through and fails to provide any alternative. It's like he views it as a legitimate way to live your life, and that is just totally irresponsible. If you like the g-ed up sound, stick with Snoop Doggy Dogg's Doggystyle and Warren G's Regulate. Yeah there's some nastiness on those CDs too but they don't even come close to this album (well okay it aint no fun by snoop dogg is pretty bad but that's just one song) and they're made in a more jovial, party-friendly way. If you stick this CD in at a party, you'll just scare all the girls out of the room by the second track and you'll be left with a sausage fest. Now come on, who wants that?
on December 25, 2003
I thought this was a good album form Dr. Dre. The beats are good and the lyrics were so so. This remastered cd includes the video for Dre day which I haven't seen yet.
I liked a few of the songs they are
1.Nuthin but a "G" Thang
2.Stranded on Death Row
Thats all I can think right off the top of my head. I didn't pay full price for it so I am sure the rest will grow on me.
on February 22, 2003
This CD was not great not horrid. It had good beats (acourse) and some creative touches. This is a good CD to buy for the Dre follower. I got tired of some of the songs but these things happen. Tracks 2 and 4 are the best. Bottom Line: Good buy for the avid dre fan, not a good buy for the casual rap listener.