4.0 out of 5 stars very good; but fullscreen?
I saw this movie as kid and remember loving it; I bought it 17 years later anbd still love it. But the product description says fullscreen/widescreen... aspect ratio 1.85:1. This is good, however the version I recieved was fullscreen. Only. No option to change. Clearly this is a mistake and I hope anybody planning on buying this movie realizes that they will probably...
Published on Aug. 30 2006 by Clinton Tjensvold

3.0 out of 5 stars Review for 'The Beast'
I've seen this movie several times on various cable movie channels, and I think it's pretty good. It was a bit disconcerting listening to the Soviets speaking english and not even getting sub-titles for the Mujahadeen's dialogue, but the action and plot made up for it. There is some very brief nudity, as well as violence and profanities, so you may want to cover the...
Published on Dec 27 2000 by bassmas314@aol.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, May 21 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Beast [Import] (VHS Tape)
Think Das Boot, Stalingrad with this one. Realistic mostly, well-made, but also about soldiers as people. If I recall right, this was originally a play (I saw this when it came out). Now, if the price'll just come down...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic forgotten war film, June 26 2014
This review is from: The Beast (Bilingual) (DVD)
This film depicts the very brutal nature of war in Afganistan. The acting and script is fantastic. Too bad the film did not do better upon release. Anyone interested in good war films should purchase this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Russia's Vietnam, July 16 2000
James Merlini (Montgomery, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beast [Import] (VHS Tape)
The Beast is the Soviet equivalent of Fields of Fire or Rumor or War. Outstandingly stark portrayal of a Russian tank crew stalked by Muhajadeen in Afghanistan.
Must be seen to appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beast, Feb. 7 2000
This review is from: Beast [Import] (VHS Tape)
I saw this movie in 1989, I have been trying to purchase it but due to its price I have not been able to, but i have good news: reel.com will be selling this in april/2000 for 12.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Tanker Movie, July 14 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Beast [Import] (VHS Tape)
As an ex-tanker I can say this movie is as good as it gets for film. Gives a unique view into a unique conflict and a great feel for what being a tanker is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planar Void, Jan. 6 2000
orcus37 (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beast [Import] (VHS Tape)
I only remember parts of this movie and they were great. I really can't wait to see it again some day. I hope I live that long.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'We are a Flea in the Tail of a Bear!', May 19 2011
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Beast (Bilingual) (DVD)
This is an American made film set in 1981 during the Russo-Afghan war. It starts with a stark reminder of what awaits the fallen in Afghanistan with the oft quoted final verse from Rudyard Kipling's `The Young British Soldier';

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier."

That was of course written for the British Second War in that country. This then sets us up for what is going to be pretty brutal. The opening sequences are centred on a small village that is attacked and razed ruthlessly by a detachment of `Russian' tanks. They are callous and depart after reeking havoc. In the aftermath we meet the surviving Afghans and they discover that one of the tanks has lost the main column and has strayed into a nearby valley. This valley is a dead end and will make the tank easy prey.

The tank is the proverbial `beast', but it could also refer to the tank commander who is a caricature of evil, bordering on the psychotic. The tensions that are thrown up under his command are constant and escalating. He is driven by hate and rules with an iron will.

The cinematography is excellent and the landscape, bleak but strangely beautiful, the Afghans do speak Pashto and the sub titles are very good.

The Afghans have their riffs too, and they are also played out, not least the problem of keeping their women out of the fighting. There is a lot of tension, and action throughout, this film races along whilst building momentum through out and I really did enjoy it. The one point that got me was the fact that the `Russians' are clearly all American with their own accents. We know the Americans can do accents, at least since `Star Trek', so even some cod Rusky accents would have helped the believability, but they can be forgiven for that as what we are left with is actually a very good example of how to make a good war film, which deals with more than just the fighting. One of the lines that struck me in this was when one of the soldiers says 'You always have a choice!' With that in mind I would advise choosing to see this rather good film.

The Beast (Bilingual)
The Beast (Bilingual) by Kevin Reynolds (DVD - 2001)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 7.88