4.0 out of 5 stars Bud and Lou in the classic fairy tale
Perhaps I'm a bit biased here, but this film was my first exposure to Abbott and Costello, and I've loved them every since. My parents bought the VHS tape of this when I was very young and I was instantly mesmerised -- those guys were the funniest team of comedians I'd ever seen. They still are, really.
In retrospect, this may not be one of their greatest films (it's...
Published on Oct. 17 2002 by Blake Petit

1.0 out of 5 stars Kids enjoy the show, but it's a poor transfer.
Published on April 14 2002 by Happily Retired

4.0 out of 5 stars Bud and Lou in the classic fairy tale, Oct. 17 2002
Blake Petit "Novelist, columnist & reviewer" (Ama, Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack & the Beanstalk (DVD)
In retrospect, this may not be one of their greatest films (it's not on par with Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, for instance), but it's a fun retelling of the classic Jack and the Beanstalk story, casting Lou as Jack and Bud as the crooked butcher who swaps him magic beans for a cow. Transplanting the boys into the fanciful setting works, and although some of the stuntwork and sets seemed pretty threadbare at times the story and the comedy still click well. This is also one of the few films the boys ever made that could be classified as a musical.
For completists who love Abbott and Costello and are still impatiently waiting for the rest of their films to come out on DVD, this is a must-have. Also recommended for folks with kids -- it's a wonderful movie for the young.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kids enjoy the show, but it's a poor transfer., April 14 2002
This review is from: Jack & the Beanstalk (DVD)
You know the story... the film is a faithful retelling. Costello dreams himself (as Jack) and fellow movie characters into the story. The narrative device recalls Dorothy's dream in The Wizard of OZ; it plausibly lands Lou and Bud in character. Be advised that in addition to annoying film artifacts, my Madacy disc was defective (a series of small depressed circles in a ring concentric with the spindle hole) and in the Passport edition, the video is worse still and then is poorly synched with the audio! Stay away from both if you can find better transfers.

5.0 out of 5 stars JACK AND THE BEANSTALK A CLASSIC, Jan. 29 2002
DANIELLE (Hollywood, Fl) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack & the Beanstalk (VHS Tape)
I REMEMBER SEEING THIS MOVIE BACK WHEN I WAS VERY YOUNG. IT WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES AT TIME. AND VERY RECENT I SAW THE LAST 10 MINS OF THIS CLASSIC MOVIES AND I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT. I THINK THIS MOVIE IS GREAT FOR KIDS AND ADULTS I JUST WANTED TO WRITE A GOOD REVIEW AND RECOMMEND IT TO ALL MOVIE LOVERS OUT THERE. YOU WON'T BE DISSAPPIONTED WITH THIS FILM IS HAS GREAT HUMOR AND SONGS ANY GENERATION WILL LOVE. THANKS FOR LETTING ME EXPRESS MY OPINION WITH ALL OF YOU. !

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible video and audio transfer!, May 1 2002
M. S Swanson (Elkhart, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This was a gift. I knew enough to stay away from Madacy products. The quality of the print is just awful with lines, missing frames, terrible contrast, fuzzy focus, washed out color, and the worst sound I 've ever heard on a DVD. I wish I could recommend a good copy of this movie but I don't know where to get one since it's public domain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely done, April 15 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Jack & the Beanstalk (VHS Tape)
This was a light comedy movie.It had many funny scenes with the giant and the castle.It starts in black and white with Lou as a babysitter.He has the story read to him scence he cant read.Then it goes into a dream with Lou as Jack and Bud as Mr.Dinklepuss.This is Bud and Lous first movie in color.You wont want to miss this movie.

Jack and the Beanstalk [Import]
Jack and the Beanstalk [Import] by Jean Yarbrough (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 38.64