5.0 out of 5 stars Important Detail
Lets just get one thing straight,In the details of the product, it claims that its just 2 disc's. There are not 2 disc's that come included in this package. The are 3 disc. the DVD version that comes with one dub. the Blu ray version with the streamline, original, and the remastered Japanese dub. and the bonus features on another Blu ray disc. worth noticing.
Published 3 months ago by Michael

3.0 out of 5 stars Depth in anime...
To do the lengthy Akira graphic novel series complete justice would require a Peter Jackson-like effort in a series of movies. Nonetheless, this anime does a decent job of taking us into the world of Neo Tokyo. Much oif the overall story is missing, but I did love the direction of this film.
I saw this movie when it was first released in the US years ago and even...
Published on May 26 2004 by J. Ruth

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Detail, Jan. 10 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars As expected, Nov. 26 2013
The item arrived very quickly and in excellent condition.

I had no idea what this movie was about besides that it was maybe one of the original anime movies that made it big outside of Japan. Anyway, my husband had requested it and so I bought it.

I thought it was very well done. I mean, who has the time to draw cells upon cells of pictures nowadays? No CGI's here. I don't think I will give a synopsis since that sort of information can be procured anywhere online (i.e. Wikipedia). All I can say is that it's very ...typical. I enjoyed watching it, just some parts I was scratching my head but then I realized it's fiction and it's meant to entertain though I did sense some anti-establishment undertones. I was also kind of shocked part way into the movie because one of the characters threw a few F-bombs. What?? In anime? Perhaps I'm too naïve.

I believe my husband liked it alright.

5.0 out of 5 stars The hallmark of Japanese Anime, Nov. 22 2013
Derek Draven - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Few anime films are as groundbreaking, mystifying, or head-scratching as Akira. For years, it's been the benchmark which all other anime films are measured against. Its scope and ambition is far beyond most films, anime or otherwise, and it serves as a figurehead for mature, intellectual stories built on unique concepts that nobody has really ever attempted to replicate. Now we have the 25th Anniversary Edition on Blu-Ray, which could very well be called the definitive version of this wonderful classic.

Akira takes place in a dystopian Tokyo circa 2019, 31 years after a massive explosion decimated the city and triggered the onset of World War III. The city is rife with political corruption, civilian protests and biker gangs, one of which is the Capsules, led by a young boy named Kaneda. The Capsules are at war with a rival gang known as the Clowns, who they routinely battle for control of territory. During one particularly violent skirmish, young Capsule gang member Tetsuo is severely injured when he nearly runs over a young disfigured blue-skinned boy. Tetsuo's motorcycle explodes just before impact under mysterious circumstances. Military forces arrive at the same moment as the Capsule gang, and Kaneda witnesses Tetsuo being taken away for medical treatment. The disfigured boy, known as Takashi, is taken back to a secret military research facility that has been conducting experiments on he and two other children. The hospitalized Tetsuo begins to manifest telekinetic psychic powers brought on by his close encounter with Takashi, but he also experiences severe headaches and psychological trauma in the process. Tetsuo escapes the hospital and begins to manifest antagonistic and antisocial behavior, the former of which is directed at his close friend and rival Kaneda. When Tetsuo is captured by the same military forces that took Takashi, Kaneda sets out to find Kei, a young woman who is part of an underground revolutionary group with knowledge of the dangerous experiments being conducted by the military, led by the gruff Colonel Shikishima and his aid, Doctor Onishi. The two launch a daring break-in to find Tetsuo, who has become more unstable as his powers grow beyond comprehension. Tetsuo learns of the existence of a being called 'Akira,' who may hold the answers to his terrible psychological trauma. Disregarding his friends, Tetsuo launches a one-man campaign against the military to learn the secret of Akira, no matter the cost. While the military scrambles to stop Tetsuo's horrible rampage through Tokyo, Kaneda decides to confront him one-on-one, which only fleshes out his inferiority complex more. This, combined with his growing psychic powers makes Tetsuo a massive, uncontainable threat that could spell a repeat of the same disaster that took place 31 years before.

What a fascinating film! Akira succeeds on so many levels that it has become one of the pillars of sci-fi cinema. To this day, the detailed artwork and visuals are nothing short of awe-inspiring, and only films like "Ghost In The Shell" have managed to approach its level of detail and inspiration. The sprawling cityscapes of Neo Tokyo are an artist's dream come true, both beautiful to behold, yet ominous in the fact that they represent a society teetering on the brink of total upheaval. Several themes run through the story at high pressure, including the dangers of genetic manipulation, political corruption, lack of military restraint, class wars, and social divisions between governments and their citizens. The story zooms in closer, however, and puts the human psyche under a mesmerizing microscope. Tetsuo is a multi-layered character who suffers from feelings of inferiority thanks to consistent abuse throughout his childhood. Though he is desperate for acceptance, Tetsuo's friends, particularly Kaneda, frequently belittle him for being the smallest and weakest of the group. This amplifies his rage and anger, distorting reality, and masking the heartbreaking truth of just how much he is actually loved by his friends. "What-if" questions abound as to the nature of what one would do if such tremendous psychic powers were suddenly bestowed upon a person, and how their psychological standing would affect their handling of the situation. Akira is a difficult movie to understand. Most people will throw up their hands in complete confusion after their first initial viewing, and unless they watch it a few more times, they will never quite grasp the heavy weight of the story, or the message behind it. The film's ambitious storyline is mind-boggling in every aspect, with no direct center plotline to drive it. As such, viewers need to keep their eyes and ears open, and never look away even for a moment. Dare I say, Akira is best viewed as a singular experience devoid of any distractions. If you like to watch movies with a group of friends who are prone to chatter, or have short attention spans, do NOT watch this film with them. Do it on your own. Let it sink in. Appreciate it for the work of sheer genius that it is. You will never see anything like it, and I doubt you ever will again.

The 25th Anniversary edition gets it right on the very first shot by including the Kodnasha and Pioneer English dubs of the film. I don't care what anyone says; the 1988 Kodnasha English dub starring Cam Clarke is the definitive and superior version of the two. The 2001 Pioneer dub (created for the tin-case DVD special edition) attempted to sound more contemporary in its translation, but has frequently been denounced as an inferior attempt by purists, who instantly cried foul. There's a reason: it's just not as good. The only drawback is that Kodnasha's Dub is presented in a meager Dolby TrueHD 2.0 format, while Pioneer's gets the TrueHD 5.1 (blah!). From an audiophile's standpoint, however, both dubs pale in comparison to the thundering Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Japanese track, which overshadows both with spectacular 192kHz fidelity. Akira has never sounded better, but if you're a subtitle Nazi, then you'll probably settle for an English dub. Just make sure to make it Kodnasha's version.

Don't argue.

The Blu-Ray restoration process is beautiful, make no mistake. The picture has been cleaned up tenfold from previous releases, and the new color balance is rich and inviting. Akira was never intended to be a "sharp" picture, but you'll be hard-pressed to see it look better anywhere else. This release also tosses out the picture-box effect that plagued the last Blu-Ray release in 2009. Get ready for true widescreen immersion this time 'round. When it comes to bonus features, this release is respectable, focusing largely on a handful of featurettes, most notably one that focuses on the 2001 remastering process. Then there's the obligatory storyboards, trailers and TV spots, etc. It's worth noting that a few of the Special Edition DVD extras have been axed for this release, which is a bit confusing. In short, there's little in the way of "new" material for such a landmark anniversary release. You do get a DVD copy of the film, for whatever reason you'd need one. Akira has always been about Akira, however; the movie itself. Special features are never going to be nearly as fascinating as the actual movie, and that's a testament to its iconic status. Only a handful of anime films can claim to come close to Akira's pedigree (most notably "Ghost In The Shell"), and even fewer non-animated films can manage the same. If you're one of the few sci-fi nuts who hasn't seen this masterpiece, then there's never been a better time to pick it up. The only people who wouldn't be fascinated by Akira are those with horrid attention spans, shallow imaginations, or the foolish who think that it's "just a stupid cartoon." Don't worry, we won't try to change your mind. It's your loss entirely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Depth in anime..., May 26 2004
J. Ruth "jsruth" (Piscataway, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I saw this movie when it was first released in the US years ago and even today I still fondly recall those flashback scenes of Tetsuo and Kaneda growing up together, best friends always, yet doomed to their tragic conflict.
I'm the kind of fan who always opts to watch anime in the original Japanese with English subtitles. You get more of the intended emotions from the voice actors that way I find.
Past editions of Akira in English were down right boring because of the dubbing. The new edition is better, but I still prefer to watch it in Japanese.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for sci-fi/anime lovers, Nov. 27 2013
An awesome HD remastered release. The story is ahead of its time and absolute mind-blowing. A must have for any collector or fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original dubing is included !, Nov. 25 2013
The one from 1988.
- You're king of the hill now ? Too bad it's garbage !

Ah ! I felt 16 again, watching it for the first time on the big screen. The movie itself has aged surprinsingly well.
Totally worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CLASSIC !, Aug. 1 2012
This review is from: Akira (2012 edition) (DVD)
That was all that I wanted. This is an animation classic, a prequel to all that was done to date. I've putted this in my dvd as soon as I received it. Long life to AKIRA !

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most mesmerizing anime's ever!, Feb. 18 2012
This review is from: Akira (Signature Series) (DVD)
I bought this going in blind. My friends all told me that it was amazing and I wanted to see it for a while so finally I bought it. I have watched quite a few anime's in my day and I must say that Akira was by far the most in depth and artistic I have ever seen. Props to the artists who took the time to make this film because it was just simply amazing. The story is very interesting and keeps you watching, never did I want to stop watching or take a break. The animation is very cool and quite intricate. Have an open mind going into this film (as you should to be watching all anime) as there are some strange parts that are awesome in my opinion. (This is where the animation gets really intense) There is a bit of gore and swearing so I wouldn't recommend letting young kids watch this but that is up to what you believe. All in all a must buy. (Just a little side note if you want to check out some other good anime's then here are a few.....Anything from Studio Ghibli are a must see, Berserk....very graphic and medieval like, and finally one of my favorites High School Of The Dead....which is very graphic and has quite a bit of sexual innuendo (Zombie series) Studio Ghibli you could let your kids watch as it is in collaboration with Disney but the others I just listed lol I wouldn't. Check em out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Princess Monoke, April 4 2004
Stymie (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
The day I saw this movie I was in shock and filled with excitment. Before, I never saw an anime or knew what it was, I thought it was no more than japanese Disney. In the the end of the 80's is when I saw Akira and I loved anime ever since. This movie makes you not want to get up out of your seat and possibly lead you to soil your pants. The only thing I don't like about the special edition is the remastering of the original english dubbing. The old dubbing had more character and brass which helped me love it so much, with that extra umph I marvelled this movie for a very long time. Get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars AKIRA Finally Get's the Treatment it Desrves., March 15 2004
Ronska (San Fernando Valley) - See all my reviews
First off let me clear something up. THE NEW DUB IS MUCH MUCH BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL!!! EVERYONE THAT KEEPS DOWN-TALKING IT HAVE CLEARLY NEVER SEEN THE JAPANES VERSION!! If you're going to redub an anime you're not going to hire voice that sound just like the original, you want voices that fit the characters and sound like the Japanese voices.
Glad I got that out.
Now as for the DVD we all know this one's a classic. Every anime fan should own this movie. It's packed FULL of extras and it looks and sounds better than it ever has. Plus the new dub sounds great. Pioneer went through great lenghths to keep this dub as close to the original Japanes version as possible and they have succeeded. Get this movie!!

ARRAY(0xc4f252ac)

Akira (Widescreen)
Akira (Widescreen) by Katsuhiro Ohtomo (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 52.06