5.0 out of 5 stars An Existential Masterpiece
Although "8 1/2" is often touted as Fellini's greatest work, this other, equal masterpiece from roughly the same period grows more and more profound over time. An amazingly photographed and energetic survey of ennui and despair, "La Dolce Vita" is Fellini's rumination on the intellectual and moral death of an aspiring artist, who is equally a Fellini surrogate and a...
Published on April 19 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars One Of Fellini's Masterpieces!
The English translation for "La Dolce Vita" as many know by now is "the sweet life". And, that's what Marcello Mastroianni seeks throughout this entire film. He plays a thrid-rate newspaper man who writes a gossip column. He thinks life would be so much better if he was wealthy, as does everyone else I know! He wants to be a respected reporter. This movie as with other...
Published on Aug. 26 2001 by Alex Udvary

5.0 out of 5 stars L'Agrodolce Vita, Dec 2 2001
A. Carter (Pittsfield, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Dolce Vita (VHS Tape)
I first saw La Dolce Vita when it was released into American theatres back in the 60s. Until then, movies were just an easy escape for me, something to do on a Saturday afternoon. This first Fellini experience changed everything. Money-and-beauty-don't-buy-happiness is not a new idea. What is new--still--is how Fellini shapes our experience of the idea and of film as art. For contemporary audiences looking for eye candy, many spots in La Dolce Vita can feel like a bad home video. Every time I watch it, I ask why he left in this pointless shot, that futile business. Fellini answers, when I want you to feel good, I'll make Amarcord.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marcello kickin-it in Rome, Feb. 8 2001
This review is from: La Dolce Vita (VHS Tape)
this movie is cool because Marcello hangs out, parties with the 'in crowd', and trashes somebody's apartment in Rome. but seriously, this is another must see of Fellini's (8 1/2 of course) and definitely a msut if you love Rome. if you're familiar with the cities monuments, smells or people you'll really enjoy this. while not quite aspiring to the philisophical pretentions of 8 1/2, and not quite as visually appealing, this film rocks and you better see it!
this reviewer also recommends 'Wild Strawberries', '8 1/2', 'Cinema Paradiso', 'Goodfellas', 'Raging Bull', 'Home Alone 6', etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fellini 's Vita, Nov. 4 2003
F.R. Gomez (Union City, Calif.,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Dolce Vita (VHS Tape)
I am very fortunate to meet Guiletta Masini, the lovely wife of Federico Fellini. I several times wrote letters to Fellini himself and he answered back me. That had been going for a while till he died. If you doubt me, I can provide you copies.
I am only one Deaf authority on Fellini and his movies. I have a good collection of video, vhs or dvd. Many books about him and his movies.La Dolce Vita and 8 and half are my top favorites. I saw them in 35mm, 16mm, tv, vhs and dvd versions but the 35mm verisons are always the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, F.R. Gomez

5.0 out of 5 stars Crowning Jewel in Italian Cinema, April 26 2000
I. Rodriguez - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Dolce Vita (VHS Tape)
Inspired by Dante's works, this films stands up as the greatest Italian film ever made. Everything going on today with celebrities, fame, fortune, promiscuity, it is all here. Marcello Mastroianni plays Marcello, a gossip reporter in the entertainment circles of Rome. The film has no specific plot or trama, and it works more as a compilation of vignettes and ocurrences all linked by Marcello. The film touches upon the themes of death, friendship, perversion, love or the lack of it, and fear of one's self. A brilliant accomplishment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fellini's best. A paparazzi's charmed life in '59 Italy., Feb. 4 1999
Daniel P. Rimsa (Navarre, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Dolce Vita (VHS Tape)
Very good. An excellent B/W film based solely on content, circumstance and dialogue. Excellent settings and cast. When you go to Rome you WILL go by the fountain Anita Eckberg pranced through. (It is a National Monument now) A not-quite middle aged journalist is trying to make it in a crowded "mod" sort of market. He must deal with insurmountable problems, continuously, but his hair and suit always look great! If you only have one of Fellini's, get this one. In Italian, of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deception...deception..., Sept. 27 2004
This review is from: La Dolce Vita (2-Disc Collector's Edition) (DVD)
Sans nul doute ce film est et restera un chef d'oeuvre
du cinema italien.Cependant,la maison d'edition a decide
de publier LA DOLCE VITA avec une bande sonore en anglais
et une autre en...italien. De plus,le film est soustitre en
anglais,en italien et en espagnole..oui ..oui en espagnole.
He les amis.....il y a 7 millions de personnes qui parlent
francais au Quebec....L'editeur de Star Wars aurait-il une
quelconque influence sur votre comportement pour le moins bizarre...???

3.0 out of 5 stars So ... ?, Sept. 28 2003
Joaquin R. Trigueros (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Dolce Vita (VHS Tape)
I does lack a plot. I almost fell asleep during the first half. It picked up during the 2nd half when the main character ran into his father. That was interesting for me, for personal reasons. But, having just watched it, all I can say is that it left me with an emtpy, hollow feeling. If that was the point, then the movie is quite successful. Mind you, I'm not the usual "simplistic" movie watcher. But that was my feeling...

5.0 out of 5 stars five star decadence!, Aug. 20 2000
Miko (Jersey City, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Dolce Vita (VHS Tape)
Fellini's masterpiece brilliantly showcases Roman decadence. Top rate performances from Marcelo Mastroianni and Anouk Aimee. Humorous, haunting and almost surreal only Fellini or Bunuel could create for the screen. Can't wait to own the DVD version. Catch that unforgettable song "Arrivederci, Roma" in the club scene.

2.0 out of 5 stars A musty period piece, smelling bad, March 6 2001
Eric Krupin (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Dolce Vita (VHS Tape)
Only its undeniable status as one of central relics of the Sixites (one that has held up as well as, say, the Nehru jacket) saves this dull, pretentious, massively over-rated film from the lowest rating. Maybe you had to be there, but I wasn't, and, judging from this, I'm not sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fellini's Best, Oct. 28 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: La Dolce Vita (VHS Tape)
What a great movie...It needs to be watched more than once for full understanding...Crikey, get this movie on DVD...I can't say too much but it looks like too little. Watch it if you have an open mind.

La Dolce Vita (2-Disc Collector's Edition)
La Dolce Vita (2-Disc Collector's Edition) by Federico Fellini (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 88.33