5.0 out of 5 stars SHALLOW hal! 15th april 2004.
Published on April 15 2004 by Kathryn Pointon

3.0 out of 5 stars What happens after Gwyneth takes off her fat suit?
Published on June 3 2002 by Jayne Ravencroft

3.0 out of 5 stars What happens after Gwyneth takes off her fat suit?, June 3 2002
This review is from: Shallow Hal (Widescreen) (DVD)
This movie has a feel-good message, making it enjoyable enough for three stars. It says that we all deserve to be loved even if we're not physically attractive (in what it considers the "conventional" sense). But will it really change anything of what it deems mere "convention"? Will Gwyneth Paltrow go on being an advocate for the inner beauty of obese people and others "conventionally" unattractive? I kind of think not. Her performance here is significant and may display genuine talent. But most likely her future roles will reflect a sense of glamour in slimness as much as ever, meaning nothing was really changed by the movie. Similarly, will Jack Black, after his similarly impressive performance be any more inclined than before to accept an obese woman as a girlfriend? I similarly doubt that. For all its feel-good message, SHALLOW HAL builds us up for a let-down when we realize its lack of realism. Many of us will go on with our inner beauty as underappreciated as ever because of outer appearances, and will still find hard to swallow that suggestion that prevalent standards of beauty run no deeper than convention.

2.0 out of 5 stars The real moral here, July 10 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Shallow Hal (VHS Tape)
What I learned after watching this movie is that if someone who is extremely shallow and only pursues hotties suddenly becomes successful with hotties, he/she will one day instantly lose his/her shallowness. Why did I learn this instead of what the Farrley brothers set out to teach us? Simple: the stupid spell that Hal (Jack Black) was put under was garbage! In the beginning, he pursues hotties who reject him (who are hotties in reality, at least according to standards of society). After the spell, guess what? Surprise surprise.......he still pursues hotties (only this time, he's the only one who sees knock-outs; everyone else sees....well....what society has deemed less than knock-outs). He is still only interested in scoring with supermodels, and what really bothered me was the conversation Hal had with Mauricio (Jason Alexander) after he removed Hal's spell, and Hal could no longer locate the hottie he once saw sitting at the restaurant, known as Rosemary (Gwyneth Paltrow). Hal goes balistic on Mauricio, because "I had a beautiful, intelligent, funny, (blah blah blah) woman, and YOU MADE HER DISAPEAR," proving without a doubt that he still is shallow after the spell! All of her good qualities dissapear, only because her looks aren't a 10, and we are supposed to believe that Hal is turning over a new leaf? What sucks more is that, for no logical reason, the first time Hal looks at Rosemary (for real as an obese woman, and knows that it is her), he can instantly not only accept her, but want her. THIS ISN'T REALISTIC, PEOPLE!!! People who are shallow their whole life and don't look past the surface of people can't, in the blink of an eye, desire someone who physically, most people would consider a reject (wouldn't that be nice!). Basically, this movie wants us to believe that there's an on/off switch in our brain that can be flipped at-will to make us attracted to people we've never been attracted to before, which is completely untrue. This is why the transformation this movie tries to show us via Hal lacks logical soundness, and why this movie fails to teach us anything. While I did not find this movie offensive (it was actually quite funny at times, thanks to our three leads), I did finish the movie questioning how deep shallow Hal had managed to become.

2.0 out of 5 stars If I'd known it was a Farrelly movie..., May 15 2004
This review is from: Shallow Hal (Widescreen) (DVD)
I would have never got it.
It's a mix-mash of a movie.
You may still enjoy it, but it's almost like 3 movies in 1:
1. The comedy - Shallow Hal
2. The tasteless comedy - complete with Rhino and Water Buffalo jokes, breaking chairs, and other insults
3. The social commentary and heartwarming feel-good romance.
Mostly, it's #'s 1 & 2 that don't jive with each other. This isn't a 'straight' comedy, because it's marred with insensitive jokes that COULD have been used just to enhance the feelings at the beginning, but even at the end of the movie they're still throwing them around. It's just a mess of a movie. They add some feel-good commentary, but *other characters* don't act consistently, and when they do stir up more responsible feelings, they let them die under the next rhino joke.
Pathetic. If I want low-brow humor, I'll watch a Kevin Smith flick and love it. This was a stinker.

3.0 out of 5 stars AMUSING, BUT AN INSULT TO BEAUTIFUL WOMEN, April 25 2004
This review is from: Shallow Hal (Widescreen) (DVD)
When this movie was first released there was some hype about how offensive it supposedly was to unattractive and/or overweight women. I'm not a plain-looking or heavy-set gal (or a woman, period, for that matter) so I can't say for sure if it is, and I won't dispute their word about it either, but having seen it a number of times it seems odd that the ones who should be insulted by this movie aren't really saying what they should about it. (Hmmm, makes me wonder if maybe some of the stuff that's said about pretty ladies here ARE true. Kidding.) Anyways, I just really wanna set the record straight here for anyone who thinks that the hogwash that's spewed in this movie about pretty women is true. Here it goes: my bro is a professional photographer, and a very damn good one, too. He's worked with Playboy Playmates, fashion models, actresses and dancers. In all the 12 years in his illustrious job he has NEVER had any problems or conflicts with any of them because of their personalities. There's never been any reason for that happening, either. They've all been some of the nicest and funniest people we've ever met. Yes, I know, I'm his assistant.
I'm not gonna be hypocritical, though. I did like this movie and I did laugh a lot, but all the characterizations are completely inaccurate. Who says that all unattractive women are particularly nice??? And as for Hal's pretty but shallow neighbor, do you really think she'd be chasing him after watching him dance with "a pack of stampeding buffalos"? Being equally superficial as Hal was I would think she'd be curious to know him if the ladies at the night club really did look as good as Hal imagined them to be in his mind. Oh, well. Perhaps the makers of this movie should get out more. Nevertheless, a pretty funny movie. Peace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good!!!, April 24 2004
adriana "alisa" (Los Angeles,CA,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shallow Hal (Widescreen) (DVD)
I did not expect much from Shallow Hal.I just expected your typical dumb comedy with the accompanying toilet humor and gag jokes.And it's not like Shallow Hal is an intelligent film or anything, and it does offer it's fair share of laughs.But it's not too over the top, and plus, the movie is a lot sweeter, and a lt more tasteful than one would expect.It's also surprisingly touching, and I actually cried during one part at the end.
I won't go into the plot, because I think that aspect is clear to practically everyone on the planet.I was even more surprised by how much I enjoyed Gwyneth Paltrow's performance.I'm not a big fan, but she was just completely luminous and charming and, needless to say, I was swept off my feet by her completely.Jack Black is, pretty much Jack Black, but his performance was enjoyable as were all the small supporting roles.
If you don't go in expecting Ghandi, there's a fat chance you'll be dissapointed.This is a film which is genuinely laugh out loud funny in a typical Farrely Brothers way, but it's also quite touching and sweet, and it totally won me over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shallow Hal, April 22 2004
K. Hill (Windsor, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shallow Hal (Widescreen) (DVD)
"Shallow Hal" is an amusing romantic comedy. "Hal," a very shallow man portrayed by Jack Black, is hypnotized by Tony Robbins to see the inner beauty in people. (An interesting idea, but how do you see INNER beauty before getting to know someone?) All in all, it's a pretty good film with a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHALLOW hal! 15th april 2004., April 15 2004
Kathryn Pointon "Kat" (Staffordshire(England)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shallow Hal (VHS Tape)
Hal wants to meet a perfect woman. He just sees her going into a shop. He dosen't know her but he likes her it is like love at first sight. It is so funny in the shop what he says to her and it is funny in other parts too. He Sees women thin when actually they are fat. But in the end his mind comes back again to see people what they actually look like. Still he still loves her and when they go away together, she goesin one side of the car and i'm surprised the car didn't break. [SO ]FUNNY.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, March 25 2004
This review is from: Shallow Hal (Widescreen) (DVD)
I loved this movie because it challenged our perceptions of what was beautiful and how truly shallow society's perception of beauty is. Jack Black was a comedic genius in this and had a strangely loveable quality about him. Gwyneth Paltrow was wonderful as Rosemary. Definately a must watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's go Swimming, March 25 2004
Alex Perkins (Allegan, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shallow Hal (Widescreen) (DVD)
I happened to tape this one night and I was kind of wary to watch it. I heard the good reviews that it was a good, lighthearted film. However, I am a bigger girl and that just made me apprehensive.
After finally being able to watch this, I give the Farrelly Bros. two thumbs up, along with Jack Black. Paltrow I thought did a good job at being kind of shy, yet accepting of how her character was.
Only thing that did not fit with this film were Rosemary's clothes. No way would a bigger girl wear a bikini, a skirt that went above her knees, high heels ALL the time, and tank tops. We know what to wear to make us look good and those certainly wouldn't work.
All in all, I recommend this film to all bigger people, ugly people, people with outrageously curly hair and braces. It'll make you not care about your physical appearance as much. Maybe you'll be less hard on yourself. I am now a die hard fan of Jack Black and the Farrelly Bros.

1.0 out of 5 stars Correctly Named, March 20 2004
"clarence_cat_2000" (Vienna, WV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shallow Hal (Widescreen) (DVD)
This movie most certainly lives up to the name "Shallow", as I could not find any humor in it what so ever. Let me see if I have story correct. This jerk Hal, who only wants to be seen with "sexy, attractive, skinny" women, gets hypnotized and now sees only the "inner beauty". Meaning any woman other than a perfect 10 looks like a perfect 10 because inside they are a perfect 10. And beautiful women look ugly because inside they are ugly, with the notable exception of the neighbor. So he falls in love with the bosses daughter, Rose Mary, Gwyneth Paltrow. However, when his well meaning friend says the magic words and removes the hypnotic spell, Hal no longer see the inner beauty. In spite of falling in love with Rose Mary he fails to recognize her real self when he walks right past her in the hallway. Then after some soul searching Hal realizes that he really loves Rose Mary for her extra large self. What a load of crap. This movie is insulting and degrading. Do not waste your time watching it. I only wish I could have given this movie a -5 stars.

Shallow Hal (Widescreen)
Shallow Hal (Widescreen) by Peter Farrelly (DVD - 2002)
CDN$ 16.98 CDN$ 8.98