5.0 out of 5 stars Allen's Attempt to Attract a New Audience
Take a look at the artwork on the front of the case..it looks like a romantic comedy. Unfortunately after picking up this movie and taking it home, some people will see that is it anything but...or at least it isn't a romantic comedy in the strict sense of being a "chick flick". I like Allen's well read, broad vocabulary character Dobel...laugh out loud scenes...
Published on Feb. 26 2004 by Jake McKay

3.0 out of 5 stars Insert audible sigh here
Let's be honest and upfront about this. I love Woody Allen movies and always have, right up through his last truly great film, Bullets Over Broadway. Since then, it's been scattershot. Mighty Aphrodite and Everyone Says I Love You were okay. Hollywood Ending wasn't that bad. Deconstructing Harry was an interesting change of pace. Other than that, I can't say that...
Published on June 2 2004 by Daniel Friedman

4.0 out of 5 stars Woody Allen's Finest Hour, Dec 24 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Anything Else (DVD)
Call me crazy; my view is, most likely, an autonomous one. I believe that this is Woody Allen's finest film ("Take the Money and Run" is a close second).
For the first time, Allen crafts an emotionally shattering and verisimilar work of art---something that he always dreamed of doing. ANYTHING ELSE hits the bone. It appears to tell the truth---even if it does not actually do so---about an aspect of sexual relations between young men and women.
Christina Ricci plays a sexually and emotionally unavailable young actress. Jason Biggs (in his only good performance to date) is the younger version of Allen, a comedy writer who is subjected to the whims and charms of Ricci's character. Their relationship is a sadomasochistic one and is doomed to failure. Bigg's character is truly the victim.
The humor takes some of the edge off, casting the seriousness of the film into sharp relief; it makes the material more palatable, but this is still one bitter pill.
This film should be watched alongside THE SHAPE OF THINGS; this film, however, has the advantage of being funny.
Allen always wanted to be regarded as a serious filmmaker. If there is any justice in the world, because of ANYTHING ELSE, he will be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Allen's Best Work sinc Deconstructiong Harry, Nov. 2 2003
This review is from: Anything Else (DVD)
It's funny how the one person on this page who likes this movie the least, Yog, goes on to write the logest and most detailed "review". He apparently felt the need to give us a rambling and grammatically deficient account(run-on sentences anyone?) of each character and their role as he sees them. However, the fact that Yog had such an emotional response to certain aspects of the film (i.e.: Ricci's lack of fidelity to Biggs and Allen's Jewish paranoia) seems to negate his claims of disinterest and his label of the movie as an "abortion". If, to Yog, "the most interesting character in the movie is the rifle" then we learn more about him and his failings as an audience member than we do about the movie itself.
"Anything Else" is Allen's best work since "Deconstructing Harry". Although not as good as "Deconstructing Harry", "Anything Else" does, hopefully, mark a return to form when one could go to an Allen film and rightfully expect to encounter witty dialogue and a tapestry of interesting human relationships.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Jan. 7 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Anything Else (DVD)
This movie is HORRIBLE!!! The only reason I bought this movie was becuase Jason Biggs is in it. I've a lot of movies with Jason Biggs in it and none were more worse than this. I feel bad that Jason had star in such a boring movie. The movie moves incredibly slow. There's not really even a plot to this movie. If I could I wouldn't even give this movie 1 star! I'd give this movie NO STARS!!! When this movie came out, I was so excited and I thought it was going to be funny and interesting, but when I saw it, I felt the complete opposite. I'm telling you that think twice before seeing this movie, it is something absolutely NOT to be excited about. For who think different or can't really decide to buy this movie, I SUGGEST STRONGLY THAT YOU RENT IT FIRST!!!!!!!!!!! Believe me, RENT it first, I promise you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Woody Allen Post-9/11, Jan. 29 2004
OPG "OPG" (a small island in the West Indies) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anything Else (DVD)
This is Woody Allen for the post-9/11 world, a world and a New York still funny and neurotic and overly preoccupied with love and death, but whose paranoia seems now more than justified.
There is much to recommend this film: the great typically Allenesque comic dialogue; the wonderful songs of Billie Holiday; the beautiful, little-heard Peggy Lee ballad given a heart-wrenching reading by Stockard Channing (part of a fine, quirky performance); Danny DeVito's over-the-top scene in the restaurant... Contrary to what you may have read, the leads do a fine job here, and the character played by Allen himself is at once hilarious and disturbing and most fun to watch and listen to. His scenes with Jason Biggs, many showing off the beauty of Central Park in summer, by themselves are worth the price of admission.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey, wait minute here!, Oct. 19 2003
This review is from: Anything Else (DVD)
The reviews I've read on line re Allen and elsewhere (one radio review thought it would be funnier to call him 'the king of thirty box office flops') have been so obviously bias against Allen as a target to point of being a personal attack. I think this movie succeed for its loose and natural dialogue alone. As recent Allen movies go it is fresh besides being witty. Admittedly, Allen as a whole does not have mass or sex appeal. BUT that is to his great credit. I would go so far as to say, after seeing (and owning) around fifteen of his films that Woody Allen is America's greatest living INTELLIGENT CLASSY film makers. He has grown. He has deepened. But one would never know any of this by the vicious attacks called "reviews." On this bases, I would give him the purble heart for kicking against the pricks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth Seeing If You're A Fan of Allen's Work, Jan. 8 2004
M. Hencke "m hencke" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anything Else (DVD)
This is not one of Woody Allen's best films but he has never made a bad one as far as I am concerned. This is an entertaining film for the true fan. The only real problem with the film is Allen's casting of Jason Biggs in the lead role. He is a terrible actor and a poor youthful substitute to fill Allen's shoes. The saving grace of this film is Christina Ricci. She plays a thoroughly unlikeable character but she plays it with style and range. She also comes off the most attractive I have ever seen her in a film. Danny De Vito does a great job as well. Allen's scenes toward the end are particularly strong. The ending is one of Allen's best. Genuinely touching. I just think that the miscasting of Biggs in the pivotal lead role really hurts the film overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly neoteric ......, Jan. 5 2004
This review is from: Anything Else (DVD)
Here we have yet another offering from our number one existentialist in hollywood.
Filled with quirky and extremely irritating, (even perverse characters}, the film offers up some good laughs.
Is it as good as earlier Woody Allen films? I'll be honest, Manhatten Murder Mystery is the only other film which I have viewed but judging by the reviews I would say that it is a safe guess that this is not the case. However, this is a fresh and unique little comedy that will offer a moment of shade from the banality that seems to haunt comedies at the present.
Like the recent works of Wes Anderson, this is a comedy more in the greek sense, operating with the understanding that comedy is essentially trajedy. I loved this film.
Give it a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Woody Allen Returns, Dec 24 2003
Josh "of Rohan" (ROSEVILLE, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anything Else (DVD)
This is a classic Woody Allen film in the best sense. A masterfully crafted movie that references his "earlier funny films" of the 70's. The characters talk and act like people from the 70's. Indeed the two main characters would once have been played by Woody Allen and Mia Farrow, and seem to be playing them down to their speech patterns. Woody Allen appears in the film as an enormously entertaining mentor/muse to Jason Bigg's character. Woody's eccentric intellectual neurotic seems even more unique in today's dumbed down cinematic world. Christina Ricci is great as the worlds worst girlfriend. Many truths of life are revealed humorously. Allen is at the height of his talent thus far. This film is for fans of Annie Hall and the like.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kill It Before It Breeds!, Jan. 28 2004
aaron-the-baron (Gig Harbor, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anything Else (DVD)
I wish I was as clever as Roger Ebert. Love him or hate him, you must admit he can write a great review. I bet he could come up with at least a 30 or 40-word sentence to tell you what I am telling you here in four words: I HATE THIS MOVIE! There, I said it. Yes, I have warned you, but the cruel side of me wants you to see it, just so we can talk about how horrible it is. The characters are sooooooo annoying, your blood will boil as you watch, and you will struggle to:
A) Finish the movie.
B) Finish the movie without wanting to throttle each and every character on the screen!
C) Hire a private investigator to hunt down Woody Allen and, um, well, make HIM watch it!
D) Decide to side with Mia Farrow after all!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Like His "Earlier, Funnier Movies", April 22 2004
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco, CA. (Hercules)) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Anything Else (DVD)
Woody Allen has never failed to amuse - until now. This story seems like a rehashed Allen film with a new actor portraying the neurotic Woody. Jason Biggs just doesn't fit the part. He's awkward in the wrong way. Ricci survives slightly more, but still has trouble delivering that Woody Allen female lead brashness that is so vital in most of his films. Even the story is hackneyed and there are very few surprises. Devito puts in his usual manic performance and gives a rather funny performance in a restaurant feigning a heart attack, but that's about it. Suddenly, I am finding I don't want his "earlier, funnier movies". One can only be sure that his next film has to be better.

Anything Else
Anything Else by Woody Allen (DVD - 2012)
CDN$ 5.00 CDN$ 0.55